Sub Prices

General
03/03/2015 20:43Posted by Fuzzyfur
So what are you thoughts? Agree or disagree?

Totally disagree. The quotation cited in the original post has no real facts in it and just looks like an assumption to me.

Personally I think the sub price as it is provides excellent value for money given the amount of time that I spend playing, and I much prefer a regular sub model to a microtransaction model.

Comparing to other high profile recent MMO's, most seem to start on a subs basis and then move to a microtransactions basis. I suspect however that had they maintained the subscriber numbers that the publishers would have liked, then they would have stayed on a subscription basis, so I don't think it's accurate to say that subscription is an outdated model, it's just one that requires a certain number of active participants.
Taken into consideration how Free 2 play games are; I rather pay a monthly subscription than have one of those options. Look at Rift, you can play for free if you like, but if you don't pay for the XP boost you're going to 2-3 levels short to enter to next zone once you're done with all the quests in the zone you're in. Either cough up some money or start grinding rifts until your eyes bleed.

Planetside 2, another horrible Free 2 play game. Sure you can play it for free, but if you don't pay, your resource gain is so gimped that before you can manage a meagre armour upgrade you're going to get your behind handed to you by paying players who have normal resource gain, manages to get hold on top equipment in a few minutes of play and can easily purchase some vehicles to flatten your behind even more. It's like you're a caveman fighting with sticks against the modern military.

And last but not least; yes it's an EA game; Star Wars. I played it while it was subscription, liked the story very well. Then it went F2P and things went to hell. They have even gone so far that if you want to remove the display of your helmet - which you want more often than not because of the horrible helmet design - you have to either be a paying member or pay a fee to remove it. Yup, all the armour hiding buttons are either Paying options or free if you're a subscriber.

So I wouldn't say that subscription is any bad model, it's a good model as it covers the baseline without the necessity to cover that baseline with other means. Having a baseline means that there are less costs to cover by other means. And that means that we get fewer paying options and don't have any of those idiotic things that most F2P (Pay 2 Win) games have.
The sub for this game hasn't changed since its release (other than lately for new subs). Calling it a ripoff now compared to then is silly, because it's technically cheaper to play now than it was before, due to inflation.
03/03/2015 20:46Posted by Nyxlin
Disagree. People like that don't understand the cost involved in making and maintaining a game like this and are just looking for a free ride. Everyone wants everything for free, but most people realize that just isn't the way the world works. Calling something outdated because you don't want to pay for what you use, is childish.

while this is true it is also true that guys like mike morhaime have a net worth over a billion dollars, ofcourse not all of that are from our subs but i guess a pretty good ammount of it is..:P
With the way WoD is at the moment there is very little content after you get to 100 and with the introduction of the token most people will use them to buy gear from AH or BMAH. So in every respect Wow is almost at the point of pay2win.
03/03/2015 21:02Posted by Fuzzyfur
But if we will remember MOP's last tier which took us a year with no new content, then you kinda start to doubt if the sub price is really reasonable.

The thing is though that WoW isn't a game where you buy it and that' s it, it constantly gets updated and improved with new features.

Let's divide your monthly subscription of 12,99 Euros.
12,99 : 30 (average days in a month) = 0,43

So you pay around 40 cents each day to play this game, cheapest addiction I have ever heard of.

03/03/2015 21:02Posted by Fuzzyfur
But if we will remember MOP's last tier which took us a year with no new content, then you kinda start to doubt if the sub price is really reasonable.

There is more then just the last tier of content in the game, respectively.
You have 10+ years of content to sift through.

04/03/2015 10:19Posted by Smeggal
With the way WoD is at the moment there is very little content after you get to 100 and with the introduction of the token most people will use them to buy gear from AH or BMAH. So in every respect Wow is almost at the point of pay2win.

Even with BMAH gear you will still need to know and play your class accordingly to actually be able to get in a good raiding guild. There are tons of people that currently are on the gold cap and buy things from the BMAH so the situation does not change with the token.
03/03/2015 21:19Posted by Kretias
More or less. The function for twitter is automatically disabled. You have to enable it yourself. So if you dont want to use it the game is not forcing you to.

TV is not forcing me to watch commercials either.

Maybe a bit over the top, but you may see my concern. There are achievements for the selfie cam, which they promised wouldn't be stuck to achievements. Another promise down the drain. You find the cam in your followers missions. The cam itself is usable without twitter, I presume? But you'll still be reminded about twitter every time you use it.

04/03/2015 10:04Posted by Melthazina
So I wouldn't say that subscription is any bad model, it's a good model as it covers the baseline without the necessity to cover that baseline with other means.

It definitely is a good model, but only if the company sticks to the model itself, which blizzard isn't doing at the moment. They are going f2p more and more, slowly frying the frog in the pan, yet the sub model is still up.

I'll gladly pay doudble the sub for a proper game. This is not a proper game right now.

edit:

For the first time in my life I actually bought a beta game on steam, something I would never thought I would ever do. But this game has the developpers (few as they are) working on it night and day, adding stuff and fixing bugs.

It's the one thing you see on that game's forum: people praising the developpers for the fact they do that to a game in beta. Somehow it seems silly that it has come this far, but even I felt like supporting one of the few game developpers that don't simply throw a beta out there just to let it rot with all its flaws.

They actually had more updates in two weeks than blizz has over the whole of this expansion. And *gasp* they communicate with their playerbase!
04/03/2015 10:33Posted by Tjillin
I presume? But you'll still be reminded about twitter every time you use it.

You do not get a popup reminding you about using twitter if you use the selfie camera.
03/03/2015 23:14Posted by Roflzor
Purley my opinion and not aimed at anyone in particular: If ten quid a month is going to cause you financial difficulties in any way shape or form, or even if the decision to spend that ten quid requires more than a couple of seconds thought - then you need to be doing something more productive with your time than playing computer games anyway.

What is chump change for some will be a substantial amount to others due to the wildly differing currency values. You don't have to be a kid or unemployed. Even with a well-paid job, I have to admit that for the price of the monthly sub I could get a week's worth of groceries minus the milk. Or, if I were a light smoker (3 sticks a day), a month's worth of cigarettes.
They are going f2p more and more, slowly frying the frog in the pan, yet the sub model is still up.

Thing is, I'm don't think this token system really equates to free-to-play in the traditional sense.. Yes it offers those with gold to buy the tokens free play time, but purchasing the tokens from Blizzard still requires the same or more real money outlay than a months subscription, so it just shifts the subscription cost to another person in exchange for another players in game currency
I desagree; I'd much rather pay through subscriptions than through some retarded microtransactions. Then again:

03/03/2015 23:39Posted by Cydas
The subscription fee has been considered reasonable in WoW history because

1) New content has traditionally been released at a decent pace

2) no cash shop, no way to buy gold ingame etc.

Even though some moron voted this guy down, he's right. Blizzard really isn't keeping their part of the bargain here.
It definitely is a good model, but only if the company sticks to the model itself, which blizzard isn't doing at the moment. They are going f2p more and more, slowly frying the frog in the pan, yet the sub model is still up.

I'll gladly pay doudble the sub for a proper game. This is not a proper game right now.

I think they're more covering their baseline more than having those items as a necessity to run the game. The subscription should suffice to cower the operational costs for the game, and the potential sales revenue should suffice to cower the development cost of the next game / expansion.

So the only reason they have their in-game shop is to build revenue, ActivisionBlizzard as a company is so solid, and Blizzard as a stand-alone unite within ActivisionBlizzard is delivering solid numbers as well, at least judged from the numbers that are public.

The thing is that WoW has turned a lot away from the "We love games" prospect that started Blizzard back in the early 90s when they were known as Silicon and Synapses. They developed and produced good games based on their own love for games, something we saw in the quality of what they delivered. They may still be loving games - the developers - but the CEOs love money more. That is the results we see today. Even if they double the subscription cost, it would only add to the pockets of the shareholders and wouldn't benefit the players at all.
I think that paying sub is ok, at least "guarantees" us a minimum of not P2W. However 13€ every MONTH, its a bit high... 5-7€ would be more acceptable, they could even sell subs only every 2 months so they have those 12€ euros safe kept.

However I dont know what the hell are they doing. I see at the game and I see a LOT of little details (or more bigger things) that should have been polished years ago. Grab all items button in mail, the damn AH, etc. Currently you need a damn addon to do every single thing in wow.
13 euro isnt much for a month, its a few times less that a night out with friends. besides this, it would just stress the servers and fill the game with exploiters, cheaters and tons and tons of noobs.
The way I see it there are 3 possible scenarios:

1.One time purchase.You buy the game and thats it , play as much as you want and get access to everything.No fees.Sounds good?Yes , it does.Except that this means crappy servers and no new content.Maybe an expansion every couple of years , but absolutely nothing in between.

2.Monthly fees.Buy the game , pay some money every month , get access to everything , get great servers and constant upgrades and content.

3.Free to play.The game is free , but you get access to only part of the content.In order to get access to everything , you have to pay a truckload of money.Literally a hell of alot money.On regular basis.Its by far the most expensive option , if you want to enjoy everything in the game.

Which do I like?Option 2.You get access to everything , you get regular upgrades and content and stable servers.Monthly fees ftw.

WoW however is an amalgamation of the 3 now.We have monthly fees , but no new content(6.1 is a pile of crap , and 6.2 will be Tanaan , which should have been in WoD from the start.Farahlon is scrapped).We have in-game shop , so the monthly fees dont give us access to everything.
TV is not forcing me to watch commercials either.

Maybe a bit over the top, but you may see my concern. There are achievements for the selfie cam, which they promised wouldn't be stuck to achievements. Another promise down the drain. You find the cam in your followers missions. The cam itself is usable without twitter, I presume? But you'll still be reminded about twitter every time you use it.

I have it aswell, but its rotting in my bank now. Are there any titles or mounts bound to the achivs? If not, then its not really bothering me. But thats my own opinion. But ye, its an easter egg you could say. A parody. We have several ones of those in the game. Alot actually. Harrison jones for example isnt making me watch indiana jones even though i like the movies.

But ye, i see your concern.
Oh wow i didn't expect such fast responses!

But my concern is: Lets do the math: 24 (months per each xpac) x13 (if you have a monthly sub) +50(game cost)=362 euros. It's aprox 4-6+ games (if you take for example Dragon Ball Z for Xbox (80 euros)) which ofc you can outplay within 2-6 months.

I don't know where the hell you buy games, but Dragon Ball is about 40 euro.
World of Warcraft is not a product that you buy and that's it. You buy the client (in some sense, details are irrelevant here), and you buy access to the servers on which other people play. You buy access to a *service*. Even if no new content arrives, the payment is due.

The cost of maintaining servers alone is irrelevant inasmuch as it should not exceed revenue from subscriptions. Blizzard is a company, and they are in full right to also, you know, make profit, not just cover costs of running the service.

There is really no such thing here, however, as universally reasonable price. Save for, perhaps, some absurd extremes, everybody has to decide themselves, whether paying such price makes sense to *them*.

I for one, have plenty of things to do here. I'd probably need several months to go through all the things that I want to do, even if there was no new content released. And the price of subscription? I'm going to pub now to have a beer with friends, and eat something. Those few hours will cost me more that a month of playing WoW. Money well spent, if you ask me.

But, as I said, it's really different for everyone. YMMV.
^

True. We don't pay for server upkeep or anything. You can see it as a phone subscription. You pay a little for the phone and get a subscription with it for its main purpose.
I've played my fair share of free to play MMOs, but they all pale in comparison to this game when it comes to polish and attention to detail. Aion comes close, but that's still P2P in Korea, so it stands to reason. Decent games which started out with a subscription fee (LOTRO, SW:ToR, RIFT, ESO this month and many others) usually lock certain features behind a pay wall and/or introduce a pay to win cash shop. The latter can be said for most free to play MMOs too.

I will only consider it a 'rip-off' until a *truly* free MMO can match WoW in terms of quality and depth.