Design a pet!

Pet Battles
@Vakeetah Nice to see that you keep having ideas. :) BY SCALE BE PURGED!

Today something using good ol' topos of magic items.

• Name: Spellbound Quill
  • Type: Magic
  • Possible appearance: http://www.wowhead.com/object=187026/long-tail-feather#modelviewer:10+0
    Just like this, but navy blue/indigo and glowing with the little stars going up.
  • Source: Inscription. A recipe what needs some Enchanting stuff, too.
  • Pet journal flavour text: "There are rumours that everything drawn by this feather becomes real.
    Unfortunately, everyone who tried to do it was tickled to death."
  • Unique: No
  • Cageable: Yes
  • Rarity: Uncommon
  • Breeds: P/B, P/S, P/P, B/B, H/S, S/B. Rare B/B values are 1481/276/276.
  • Abilities:
  • Quills (Flying)
  • Flings 1-2 Quills at the enemy, dealing 148 Flying damage per hit.
    Hits an additional time if the user attacks first.
  • Pillow of Eternity (Magic, 4 rounds cooldown)
  • Puts a pillow below the target, causing them to become drowsy.
    Drowsy targets will fall asleep at the end of next round unless hit.
  • Feathered Frenzy (Flying, 3 rounds cooldown)
  • Attacks wildly, dealing 259 to 481 Flying damage and entering a frenzy for 1 round.
    While frenzied, damage dealt is increased by 50% and the user takes damage as if they were a Flying pet.
    ---
  • Evoke (Magic, 3 rounds cooldown)
  • Brings a flow of mana to the team, restoring 336 health to itself and half that amount to other magic allies.
  • Inkaustics (Magic)
  • Splashes ink onto the enemy, dealing 313 Magic damage.
  • Inscribe (Magic)
  • First use: Prepares a powerful spell, increasing your damage dealt by 10%.
    Second use: Unleashes power hidden between the words, dealing 630 Magic damage.
  • I have a plan to create some Inscription companions.
    Unlike this one, they'll create a set. Ready for it? :D

This object is also an unclear homage to a certain Polish cartoon. :)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zaczarowany_o%C5%82%C3%B3wek
    That Quill is brilliant! Gave me a handful of ideas about other "profession" pets... However, this morning, instead of paying attention to the teacher as I should, I had a vision!

There's the Ore Eater for Mining, and then the Sproutling for Herbalism... so how about a pet for Skinning? Behold, the mighty, Strange Tuft of Hair!

Strange Tuft of Hair
    Use: Teaches you how to summon this companion.
    "It moves!"

So what is that thing? A little, cuddly, furry beast... Hairball!*
    (* not an actual ball of hair or anything, it's a living being, probably a cub of some species, that somehow got confused with another beast's fur!)

• Name: Hairball
    • Type: Critter
    • Possible appearance: I'll dare call this drawing in Paint a "concept art":
    • http://i60.tinypic.com/1zmyybr.png
    • (apologies if it looks like a... ehm... yeah, like a poo. Bear with me!)
      NOTE: Given its shape and nature, it could well reuse a "ooze" skeleton for animation. Just add hair to it, it's easy, Blizz!
    • Source: Skinning
    • Pet journal flavour text: "It's cute, and always happy to see you! Also smells a bit funny."
    • Rarity: Rare
    • Breeds: Any. Standard 8/8/8 spread (1400/260/260 + breed)
    • Abilities
    • Growl
      Growls at the enemy, dealing 222 Critter damage and decreasing their damage dealt by 25% for 1 round.
    • Cute Face
      Increases your chance to dodge an attack by 25%. Lasts 4 rounds.
    • Tough n' Cuddly - 4 Round Cooldown
      The user becomes surprisingly resilient, reducing all damage taken by 50% for 3 rounds.
    • - - - - - - - - - - -
    • Sneeze - 1 Round cooldown
      Sneezes at the enemy, dealing 222 Flying damage and decreasing its speed by 25% for 2 rounds.
    • Trample
      Tramples the target, dealing 148 Beast damage plus an additional 10% of the target's health.
    • Flee - 8 Round cooldown
      The user flees, avoiding the opponent's next attack. The user then swaps for your highest health pet.

I know the moveset could make it annoying to deal with, due to all damage reductions, dodges, etc... but I think it fits. Actually, changed and swapped a couple of abilities around to prevent some silly ability combos. Yep, I'm nurfing my pets before they even exist!
    :) I agree with you that skinning is a bit forgotten profession.
    From the existing pets, I always thought that lil' clefthooves can be a such patch of fur.
    Would it drop from the Barn orders too?

I remember about my inscription plan, but can't make a decision how these pets should look alike.
    I'd ask you for help, but I so like doing surprises!

Now it's something else.
    Someone could ask why Pandaren pets and a part of the lore aren't related to Wu Xing (the Five Processes), so I've decided to give that a chance.

• Name: Metal Puckling or Oreheart
  • Type: Elemental
  • Possible appearance:
    http://i.imgur.com/lUQb5PZ.png
    This horrible brightness is of course a result of the laziness and rush. The sharp shapes are intended.
  • Source: Mining, I guess. But a decent questline would be nice!
  • Pet journal flavour text: "An Earth Spirit just wanted to be a bit harder."
  • Breeds: H/P (1546/289/260).
  • Abilities:
  • Metal Fist (Mechanical)
  • Punches the target, dealing 309 Mechanical damage.
  • Slippery Ice (Elemental)
  • Shoots a jet of rapidly chilling ice, dealing 156 Elemental damage and coats the ground near the enemy with ice.
    Frozen ground causes enemies to be Chilled and reduces hit chance by 20%. Lasts 4 rounds. Persists through pet swaps.
  • Elementium Bolt (Dragonkin, 5 rounds cooldown)
  • Launches an elementium bolt at the enemy team.
    After 3 rounds, the bolt strikes, causing the current enemy pet to take 434 Dragonkin damage and become stunned for 1 rounds.
    ---
  • Extra Plating (Mechanical, 4 rounds cooldown)
  • The user equips additional plating, reducing all damage taken by 50% for 3 rounds.
  • Make it Rain (Mechanical, 1 round cooldown)
  • Casually tosses gold coins at the enemy, dealing 364? Mechanical damage.
    Gold continues to fall on the enemy's current pet, dealing 40? Mechanical damage each round for 4 rounds.
  • Inspiring Song (Elemental, 3 rounds cooldown)
  • Sings an inspiring song, which restores 185 health to all allies.
  • To be honest, I'm not glad with this, I expected that it would be a way better.

[There was a vector source of image, but links became dead.]
    Can I bump?

Two next pets will be dedicated to my huntress, because while she has found companions for three pets, she can't find any for the other two. :)
    If any hunter looks for one that doesn't exist for themselves, feel free to at least ask. :P

• Name: Icy Webling
    • Type: Beast. Magic or even Dragonkin also would be nice, but would cause imbalance.
    • Possible appearance:
      http://www.wowhead.com/npc=26322/arcane-wyrm#modelviewer:10+0
      I wonder, how a baby wyrm looks like? :)
    • Source: A Purple Egg found in Frostfire Ridge.
      Rarer than Teroclaw, less rare than Vanilla raptors.
    • Pet journal flavour text: "Purple eggs are laid by two Frostfire Ridge species. Back in time they were mainly azure and red, but since adults kept devouring the eggs of each other, the purple became the ones which survived."
    • Breeds: H/S (1384/276/305)
    • Abilities:
    • Bite (Beast)
    • Bites at the enemy, dealing 296 Beast damage.
    • Frost Shock (Elemental)
    • Chills the target, dealing 148 Elemental damage and reducing their speed by 25% for 2 rounds.
    • Proto-Strike (Dragonkin, 4 rounds cooldown)
    • Fly up high, becoming unattackable for one round.
      On the next round, you attack, dealing 355 to 533 Dragonkin damage.
      ---
    • Poison Fang (Beast)
    • Instantly deals 148 Beast damage and poisons the target for 74 additional Elemental damage per round for 5 rounds.
    • Howling Blast (Elemental, 3 rounds cooldown)
    • Deals 370 Elemental damage to the enemy.
      Deals 74 additional damage to the enemy team if the target is chilled.
    • Vicious Fang (Beast)
    • Deals 222 Beast damage. Damage increases by 74 each time it hits. Max 370 Beast damage.

EDIT: Exceptionally doesn't split these pets, because I feel I make too much posts >.<

• Name: Lava Thornling
    • Type: Flying
    • Possible appearance:
      http://www.wowhead.com/npc=50891/boros#modelviewer:10+0
    • Source: A Purple Egg found in Frostfire Ridge.
    • Pet journal flavour text: "Purple eggs are laid by two Frostfire Ridge species. Back in time they were mainly azure and red, but since adults kept devouring the eggs of each other, the purple became the ones which survived."
    • Breeds: B/B (1481/276/276), P/B, P/P
    • Abilities:
    • Barbed Stinger (Beast)
    • Instantly deals 281 Beast damage and has a 20% chance to poison the target for 74 additional Elemental damage per round for 1 round.
    • Magma Wave (Elemental)
    • Deals 103 Elemental damage to the enemy's pets.
      Destroys objects created by both teams.
    • Impale (Beast, 2 rounds cooldown)
    • Deals 370 Beast damage. Deals double damage if the target is below 25% health.
      ---
    • Poison Fang (Beast)
    • Instantly deals 148 Beast damage and poisons the target for 74 additional Elemental damage per round for 5 rounds.
    • Volcano (Elemental, 5 rounds cooldown)
    • Causes the ground beneath the enemy team to tremble.
      After 2 rounds, the ground erupts for 2 rounds, causing the current enemy pet to take 251 Elemental damage and have a 25% chance to be stunned for 1 round.
    • Focus (Humanoid)
    • Focuses intensely, increasing your speed, hit, and critical strike chance by 25% for 5 rounds.

That Magma Wave/Volcano + Focus can be nasty, but isn't too safe to use either. :)
    http://legion.wowhead.com/item=128535/enchanted-pen#battle-pet

Did I say something about good ol' things?

Of course the Alpha instability had to happen with that one.

You can always combine that to an inkwell (though getting away from Enchanting once more).
    Many colour varieties can even prolong that, actually.
    Name: Dreadlil' –
    Type: Undead or Humanoid
    Possible appearance: A very small dreadlord
    Source: 1.000 PvP Pet Battles Won along with 'Trainer <name>' title
    Pet journal flavour text: "The Nathrezim were not all tall enough to join the Legion."
    Unique: Yes
    Cageable: No
    Rarity: Epic
    Breeds: S/S

Abilities:

1) Darkness (Same as live)
    2) Carrion Swarm (Deal low dmg and reduce accuracy of enemy active pet, no cooldown)
    3) Fel Spire (Stun seed, explodes after 2 rounds and causes undead damage, same cooldown as stun seed)

*The first three abilities are solely pvp focused, he's supposed to be an incredibly annoying little bugger that continuesly debuffs the enemy team, countered by elemental pets, particularly jademist elemental*

4) Demon Claws (Deal moderate to high damage, normal attack, no cooldown)
    5) I am the Night! (Like Sons of Fire from Ragnaros. He dissapears and small bats explode after each round for 3 rounds, same CD)
    6) Shadow Trap (Same like Ragnaros' fire trap ability, but deals shadow damage instead)

*Basically the second set of skill is Lil' Ragnaros but does not deal elemental damage*.

Maybe getting that many pvp pet battle wins for this pet is silly but nonetheless that is my pet!
    Good to see a new person here!

*** This post is a reference to a video game.
    A sensitive person may seem some fragments as containing spoilers. ***

• Name: Lil' Surpasser
  • Type: Elemental or Magic. Definitely not an easy one. Even an Undead would go, but not likely, because PvP issues.
  • Possible appearance: Like an upper part of an Ethereal, but more "symmetrical", without the sleeves and having the "collar" shaped from bandages too. Lot of fel-green shades included.
  • Source: A short quest chain.
    Do you remember Griftah? Yes? So surely you do remember that he tries to make a profit claiming services that we have already been provided. This time he wants to make our pets capable of the endless coming back into the life even after the strangest death. He asks you for 125 Battle Pet Bandages to do so which you can give him to complete the quest. After that, nothing special happens, maybe expect a usual pet resurrection, but you get automatically another, ready for turn-in anywhere quest that tells you that an ominous creature had started to seek you. Complete it to get Surpasser into the journal!
  • Pet journal flavour text: "An unexpected side effect of your pets' immortality, it doesn't seem to like them very much, but delights in the heat of battle that you engage them into."
  • Unique: Yes – and can't be deleted. The first quest can be completed on another character, but it doesn't generate the second quest anymore – instead your Surpasser is summoned.
  • Cageable: No at all!
  • Breeds: P/P (1481/325/244)
  • Abilities:
  • Very unusual. Still poorly balanced. ;p The point was: "Leave me alone!"
  • Fel Immolate
  • Backdraft (Elemental, 3 rounds cooldown)
  • Deals 552 Elemental damage split evenly across the enemy team, but also deals 104 Elemental damage to each of your backline pets.
  • Consume Corpse (Undead, 5 rounds cooldown)
  • ---
  • Seethe (Values are 265 to 493)
  • Planeforge (Magic, 5 rounds cooldown)
    Deals 431 Magic damage and turns the weather into Twisting Nether for 5 rounds.
    During Twisting Nether, the chance to perform a critical strike is increased by 25%.
  • Regretful Shade (Undead, 5 rounds cooldown)
  • Summons a shade of a defeated ally that deals 155 Undead damage each round.
    (It's basically an object that can be removed by wave abilities, but has 9 rounds of duration and can't be created while all pets are alive.)
    I've been having thoughts about a unique mechanic that could be fitting for a pet based on Yogg-Saron's tentacles: Insanity.

Not sure how it would work in practice, and it would require a bit more effort from the programmers, but it could also be a way to update the system to allow stack effects.

Insanity would be a debuff that is applied by most abilities, some more than others. It would be able to stack up to X times, and once it reaches the max stacks, something would happen. The easiest thing would be to make it a stun (preferably that cannot be avoided in any way).

Insanity would last, say 9 rounds, but the duration would be refreshed each time a new stack is applied, however the debuff can be cleansed by pets (Sear Magic).

Example abilities/moveset:
    Level 1/2/4: Shadow Blast | Siphon Magic | Curse of Yogg-Saron
    Level 10/15/20: Shadow Explosion | Shadow Crash | Call Darkness

Shadow Blast: Deals X damage and will apply a stack of Insanity if it hits.

Siphon Magic: A stronger Siphon Life, with a 3-round CD. Another effect is that the healing could be doubled if the weather is Call Darkness, effectively making it unaffected by the healing reduction.

Curse of Yogg-Saron: Similar to Curse of Doom, but will apply 1-2 stacks of Insanity once it deals damage.

Shadow Explosion: Similar to Arcane Explosion, but will have a 50% chance to apply a stack of Insanity to the main target, and 25% to secondary targets.

Shadow Crash: Similar to Thunderbolt, but will apply a stack of Insanity to each target it hits.

Call Darkness: Unchanged.

Names, numbers and moveset could be tweaked and balanced accordingly.

The pet itself would have a similar appearance to Jade Tentacle or Hungering Claw, and would either drop from Yogg-Saron or be the reward from a new Raiding with Leashes. Pet type could be Undead or Magic, and most of its abilities would be Undead, with the exception of Call Darkness.

Edit: With 7.1 coming soon and new pets from Ulduar/ToC/ICC, I guess it's too late to make my version of the Yogg-Saron pet D:
    That time really flies so fast, cheers Icebeam anyway. The Insanity would be a bit dangerous for PvP, I'm afraid, but if each pet had a unique trait… I'd like it. :)

• Name: Chromatic Whelpling
  • Type: Dragonkin
  • Possible appearance: A chroma whelp model. There's already one, but a new one is also an option.
  • Source: I believe that Dark Iron dwarves still have some secrets and BfA is an opportunity to unearth them, pun intended. I don't need any more details right now.
  • Pet journal flavour text: Depends on the exact source.
  • Cageable: Yes, unless the circumstances don't allow it
  • Rarity: Rare, uncommon or any if a wild one
  • Breeds: P/B (1457/302/262) or H/B (1538/286/262), but preferably not both
  • Abilities: A combination of spells from other dragonflights, with a twist.
  • Breath
  • Darkflame (Elemental, 3 rounds cooldown)
  • Scorched Earth (Dragonkin, 3 rounds cooldown)
  • ---
  • Creeping Ooze
  • Sneak Attack
  • Lift-Off (Flying, 4 rounds cooldown)

• EDIT (14th of April 2018): Changed one ability and switched some around.