Do people really want Vanilla servers?

General
Prev 1 3 4 5 11 Next
26/05/2015 22:52Posted by Semina
Even allowing for Naxx's lack of accessibility, how do you account for the fact that only 3% of the player base cleared it in vanilla?

3%?

I don't think it was even 0.3%
26/05/2015 22:52Posted by Semina
26/05/2015 22:26Posted by Hengwulf
LFR and mythic have vastly different abilities, so analogy is really flawed.

This is exactly the kind of stuff that maks people want to go vanilla - people blowing some vanilla features to legendary proportions. Naxx was much less accessible than even mythic these days, but it wasn't nowhere near as hard, in fact the mechanics are laughable now. Day long AVs were certainly epic, but also incredibly frustrating and pretty boring. Southshore vs Tarren Mill was certainly fun, but got old rather fast after couple resses.

Even allowing for Naxx's lack of accessibility, how do you account for the fact that only 3% of the player base cleared it in vanilla? 3% seems a tiny amount for a raid that isn't "nowhere near as hard as mythic" and which "has mechanics that are laughable" today.

Extreme inaccessibility coupled with much less hardcore approach to raiding. Tuning.

Believe what you will, though. Tbh, Naxx is only one example. Pretty much nothing of the former glory of WoW was as epic/as hard/as amazing like it is descibed today.
27/05/2015 05:33Posted by Hengwulf

Believe what you will, though. Tbh, Naxx is only one example. Pretty much nothing of the former glory of WoW was as epic/as hard/as amazing like it is descibed today.

Yeah it was

AV was epic.
Defias Pillagers were bastards!
Duskwood was scary (and stitches was tough to solo even by 60's).
Deadmines was an amazing dungeon
The journey to SM (for allies) was riddled with danger; the dungeons were fantastic.....so worth it.
I would play on WoTLK server :) I adore TBC but PvE 1 button destro lock is no good.

Vanila was meh, terrible classes, stupid game mechanics etc. Would not play vanilla.
26/05/2015 11:17Posted by Bioorc
No, Vanilla servers are terrible idea. At the beginning it would look cool, but after year, year and a half maybe, people would start to complaint to add new expansions to the server... because there would simply be nothing to do.

you already have new expansion ! what game are you playing (damn fool )

Anyway I would play classic wow in a heartbeat,

WoD is a complete fail in my opinion, blizzard have got very greedy they see there community as a walking wallet, remove the damn shop blizz if people want mounts give them as hard quest rewards

I have noticed on twitch all the big streamers are playing at level 60 why ?
because wod sucks

So I for one would cancel my sub and re-sub on a classic server in a hearbeat
27/05/2015 07:55Posted by Akuji

He/she is talking about people getting bored of the Vanilla server, and then asking for the TBC server to be open..

I don't know what you are playing, but Outland and Vanilla at the moment are not how they were originally released.
27/05/2015 07:58Posted by Decuma
27/05/2015 07:55Posted by Akuji

He/she is talking about people getting bored of the Vanilla server, and then asking for the TBC server to be open..

I don't know what you are playing, but Outland and Vanilla at the moment are not how they were originally released.

Open up one of each expansion then,

I did play vanilla and I loved, if you dont like how the gameplay was don't play it simples
27/05/2015 08:05Posted by Akuji
Open up one of each expansion then,

I did play vanilla and I loved, if you don like how the gameplay was don't play it simples

They already said they aren't.
Blizzard say lots of things
And the amount of subs they are losing each week , might force there hand to try anything
Yes yes..same old arguments, Blizzard say a lot of things, Blizzard do this, Blizzard do that..

The one thing they seem happy with is no Legacy Servers, they said it a long time ago, and nothing has changed. Not going to go into it again, just search for vanilla servers and your answers are there.

We have thread after thread of people screaming they can't fly, and you think enough people are going to pay for a Vanilla server, where there is no flying or indeed mounts until level 40, to make it financially viable for Blizzard to open one?
Yes I do that's my simple answer, there a big community that would play on a classic vanilla server, no mounts until level 40 yes I remember that and damn was it a big world , not the goldfish bowel it turned in to with flying mounts,

Blizzard Could charge £40 a month to play it, so from a financial point of view it would work

and people that played classic are a little older now with secure jobs etc so £40 a month would be no big deal
26/05/2015 16:37Posted by Enusath
Not only that, class rotations were stupidly simple as well, coming down to a 2-4 button rotation for many DPS classes. Some even fewer than that.

Are we talking about classic or WoD?

To be honest: WoD is even simpler than vanilla (stances? position? ...) but minus the fun and unique class mechanics that differentiated them from one another: soul-shards, ammo, poisons, totems, buffmats, ... think about it: The mage was unique for only needing mana for their whole repertoire of spells but a lot of it and thus he could create food&drink.

Think of it: The main difference in the game of vanilla to now is:

In the original game, the developers spent a whole lot of effort on making the classes different from one another!

Sadly, much of that has been destroyed. I guess they haven't really factored in the value of replayability due to non-linear areas, class-differences and final decisions.
27/05/2015 08:26Posted by Akuji
and people that played classic are a little older now with secure jobs etc so £40 a month would be no big deal

Sorry but in the real world, £40 a month to play a game is ludicrous, and if you think people would happily pay £40 subscription, then you are delusional. Also don't forget, that's £40 on top of the main subscription of £9.99 (UK). So £50 a month to play Wow....yeah ok.

The majority of Vanilla players now have families, with children, mortgages, drink problems etc etc, We have much more important things to spend money on than a game.

There may be people who want to play Vanilla, but not enough to make it feasible, Do you honestly think that if Blizzard thought they could make money out of these servers, we would already have them?

They are a company, and profit is their aim, if they could make money then they would..

£40....jesus.
Perhaps you could get some insperation from vanilla and apply to the current gameplay? Nowadays everyone's a winner hence making the game extreamly booring. You can already see top streamers like sodapoppin hotted legendarylea cdew bahjeera etc streaming vanilla gameplay on live servers with their new 60 only guild.

Also i was watching some h1z1 or what ever the name is and it looked crazy fun, perhaps blizz can fix their ingame voice chat thingy and the game might get some what more social.
27/05/2015 05:33Posted by Hengwulf
Extreme inaccessibility coupled with much less hardcore approach to raiding. Tuning.

You're saying today's WoW has a hardcore approach to raiding? Oh, please. How many people run mythic compared to LFR?

You could remove mythic altogether and 95% of the player base wouldn't give a damn. Remove LFR and you'd have people up in arms about it.
27/05/2015 08:15Posted by Decuma
Yes yes..same old arguments, Blizzard say a lot of things, Blizzard do this, Blizzard do that..

The one thing they seem happy with is no Legacy Servers, they said it a long time ago, and nothing has changed. Not going to go into it again, just search for vanilla servers and your answers are there.

We have thread after thread of people screaming they can't fly, and you think enough people are going to pay for a Vanilla server, where there is no flying or indeed mounts until level 40, to make it financially viable for Blizzard to open one?

I see the "financially eligible" argument crop up all the time in these kind of threads and it never makes much sense. Fans of the game have launched their own vanilla servers and paid for them with donations or out of their own pocket, yet the multi-billion dollar company which launched the game doesn't have the financial resources to pull it off?

Maybe instead of looking at the financial gain from a classic server, Blizzard should consider what it's costing them by not having a classic server. People are quitting the game all the time. WoW's subscriber base has just suffered the biggest loss in the game's history and is likely to plummet again next time. Store mounts and Twitter integration and selfie cams aren't going to encourage people to play the game, but maybe a classic server - which people have been requesting for years - will.

People clearly want to play vanilla WoW. If Blizzard won't provide a means for them to do so, they'll go down the private server route. It's pointless refusing to launch your own classic server when other people have been doing it for years.
27/05/2015 08:36Posted by Decuma
27/05/2015 08:26Posted by Akuji

Sorry but in the real world, £40 a month to play a game is ludicrous, and if you think people would happily pay £40 subscription, then you are delusional. Also don't forget, that's £40 on top of the main subscription of £9.99 (UK). So £50 a month to play Wow....yeah ok.

The majority of Vanilla players now have families, with children, mortgages, drink problems etc etc, We have much more important things to spend money on than a game.

There may be people who want to play Vanilla, but not enough to make it feasible, Do you honestly think that if Blizzard thought they could make money out of these servers, we would already have them?

They are a company, and profit is their aim, if they could make money then they would..

£40....jesus.

if you can not afford it don't play it, £40 a month would be a good price cuts out all the whinging kids in the process
27/05/2015 10:50Posted by Akuji
if you can not afford it don't play it, £40 a month would be a good price cuts out all the whinging kids in the process

So you think £40 is an acceptable fee to play a game, thats £40 a month?

So on one hand you are saying that there are enough players wanting to play these servers, then on the other you are saying , 'If you cant afford it don't play'? Which in turn means even less players playing the servers, hence making them financially unviable.

Tell you what, seeing as you appear to have £480 a year of disposable income, why not finance a server of your own, and see where that takes you?

And No I can't afford it, I have a life and more important things to take care of than spend £40 a month on a game.
27/05/2015 10:38Posted by Semina
I see the "financially eligible" argument crop up all the time in these kind of threads and it never makes much sense.

No, not to you maybe, but to a company who wants profits, it makes perfect sense.

Would you be prepared to put your money into a private server not knowing whether it will be a success or not? Are you willing to take the chance?