Why not 1 server of 60 and 70 to test how it

General
Prev 1 12 13 14 25 Next
08/06/2015 14:30Posted by Semina
It's not the community I want back from the vanilla age. It's the world, the questlines that no longer exist, the feeling of going off on an epic adventure, etc etc.

The game these days is just a boring Facebook app. It's not the game I played all those years ago.

I wouldnt call farming mobs for days when your out of quests for farming mobs, an epic adventure.
08/06/2015 14:40Posted by Nesaldor
Have you stopped to consider that the boredom associated with questing is a commentary on the act itself and not on the zones you do it in? Repetition is a surefire way to cause boredom, after all.

Beyond the initial rush of returning to Vanilla, how many other characters could you/ would you level before getting WoD Syndrome?

That would be true if I also got bored of leveling up in the pre-Cata zones, but I didn't. It's only after Cata ruined everything that the boredom set in for me. I'm sure there are some Cata zones that I've only played through a single time and have no interest in ever doing again.

As for how many characters I'd level on a vanilla server, I have no idea. Back then, leveling took a long time so unless you had a great deal of free time on your hands you didn't have more than a few max level characters anyway. Even if it was only a single character, that would still take months.

And as other people have stated before, it's not like if you roll on a vanilla server you'd be forever confined to that server. There's nothing to stop you playing on a vanilla server one day, then hopping onto a live one the next if you felt like it. I play several different MMOs right now - it's not like I play WoW exclusively.
08/06/2015 14:43Posted by Shylastylez
08/06/2015 14:30Posted by Semina
It's not the community I want back from the vanilla age. It's the world, the questlines that no longer exist, the feeling of going off on an epic adventure, etc etc.

The game these days is just a boring Facebook app. It's not the game I played all those years ago.

I wouldnt call farming mobs for days when your out of quests for farming mobs, an epic adventure.

Me neither. Thank heavens this sort of thing didn't happen in vanilla WoW.
08/06/2015 14:41Posted by Semina
08/06/2015 14:34Posted by Nesaldor
And I agree, the game is downright awful right now and I want this expansion over. I want it's lead developers shuffled. But I don't want to regress to something I did for years.

Not everyone did, though. I didn't play for the whole of vanilla, just the end bit, so I never really got to experience the proper end game.

I'd imagine for the great majority of people playing these days, a vanilla server wouldn't be a regression but new content. After all, any content - no matter how old it might be - is new to you if you've never played it before.

You know what? I will concede to that final point in a -minor- manner, and say that it could be very, very interesting if Blizzard were to introduce some sort of event/ temporary dungeon mode that, when entered, reduces your level to an appropriate level, gives you an old talent tree, etc. That could be fun. But it would have to come around rarely to keep it special. Rather like Timewalking, if you will.

That would be easier to market and to generate interest, but then a full blown, constant server is not. I imagine many a new player would hop there, realise what a shambles the games balance and progression is compared to today, and then hop back. It's worth remembering that many a new player is used to a certain level of convenience and integrated fluidity. Vanilla had none of that.
08/06/2015 14:47Posted by Semina
Me neither. Thank heavens this sort of thing didn't happen in vanilla WoW.

You misunderstood his point .

It did happen in "classic" wow because between lvls 38-40 there was simpley no quests anywhere and you had to grind mobs .This didnt change until later in "classic" when some quests where added but then again as you said you didnt join until pre patch TBC and you wouldnt have known this .
08/06/2015 14:10Posted by Tiordan
08/06/2015 14:01Posted by Nandhal
If it was me, for a TEST of interest..... I would just run the exact same game they are using now just with the XP locked. Keep it updated with the main game etc.... see how popular it is.

How can you run a Test for interest when you aren't giving them the exact thing they need to be testing?

As for charging people, again we are down to money and profits. Blizzard will charge to play these servers, so meaning tht if anybody wanted to play them, then they would have to pay for both incarnations of the game. Another question is then raised, how many people would want to pay to play them when there are so many free servers doing it illegally already? Basically would you stop playing a free game to start paying for the same thing?

You cant test to see if there is any interest in the concept, then work from there. Just like a hype train for any new release. Infact it would be just like a real release in the end.... if the concept proved fruitful i guess they would need to BETA test etc...

Look at HotS as an example of just that. As a game it was VERY different from what it is now during alpha. They had a concept, put it out into the world as an idea then refined the idea off feedback and common sense.

The real question, is as you state, would people pay to play it? I think the answer is most likely yes (there seems to be a lot of interest)... this then leads back to the issue of "if i'm paying for the old stuff i'm not buying the new expac" i guess.

With your point about free / illegal, i guess it would come down to how "serious" these players are about the old content. IF Blizz ever took this up i guess it would come down to what individuals value more. Do they want the game to be cheap and unsupported, or cost a little and have updates and patches.

My counter question would be, would these private servers even exist if Blizz made it a "thing"? Ain't that many public servers for WoD that i can see...? I could be wrong there....
08/06/2015 14:10Posted by Tiordan
08/06/2015 14:01Posted by Nandhal
If it was me, for a TEST of interest..... I would just run the exact same game they are using now just with the XP locked. Keep it updated with the main game etc.... see how popular it is.

How can you run a Test for interest when you aren't giving them the exact thing they need to be testing?

As for charging people, again we are down to money and profits. Blizzard will charge to play these servers, so meaning tht if anybody wanted to play them, then they would have to pay for both incarnations of the game. Another question is then raised, how many people would want to pay to play them when there are so many free servers doing it illegally already? Basically would you stop playing a free game to start paying for the same thing?

You can test to see if there is any interest in the concept, then work from there. Just like a hype train for any new release. Infact it would be just like a real release in the end.... if the concept proved fruitful i guess they would need to BETA test etc...

Look at HotS as an example of just that. As a game it was VERY different from what it is now during alpha. They had a concept, put it out into the world as an idea then refined the idea off feedback and common sense.

The real question, is as you state, would people pay to play it? I think the answer is most likely yes (there seems to be a lot of interest)... this then leads back to the issue of "if i'm paying for the old stuff i'm not buying the new expac" i guess.

With your point about free / illegal, i guess it would come down to how "serious" these players are about the old content. IF Blizz ever took this up i guess it would come down to what individuals value more. Do they want the game to be cheap and unsupported, or cost a little and have updates and patches.

My counter question would be, would these private servers even exist if Blizz made it a "thing"? Ain't that many public servers for WoD that i can see...? I could be wrong there....
08/06/2015 15:00Posted by Nandhal
You can test to see if there is any interest in the concept, then work from there. Just like a hype train for any new release. Infact it would be just like a real release in the end.... if the concept proved fruitful i guess they would need to BETA test etc...

You can't determine if there is any interest in a concept by making a completely different concept availible. That makes no sense.

The HotS analogy doesn't really work because the HotS concept wasn't nearly as well defined as the concept vanilla server is.

I wouldn't have said you could really test for the concept of a vanilla server without just launching one to test the waters.

Maybe instead Blizzard could simply survey the player base to see if the interest is there. Even if only 1% of the current player base have any interest in a vanilla server, that would be worth launching one.
08/06/2015 15:26Posted by Semina

I wouldn't have said you could really test for the concept of a vanilla server without just launching one to test the waters.

Maybe instead Blizzard could simply survey the player base to see if the interest is there. Even if only 1% of the current player base have any interest in a vanilla server, that would be worth launching one.

Well, 1% of the current playerbase is not an awful lot of people, especially when we consider we need to split that 1% across US, EU, Russian and Chinese servers. You end up with minorities of minorities, and when we account for inevitable drop outs and gradual decline, you've had a pointless venture.

It's like when something seems really good in your mind, and then eventually tasting it leaves a "meh" or a "It's the same as before" taste and you move on.
08/06/2015 10:06Posted by Gagerix
08/06/2015 09:51Posted by Nandhal
Its not like they haven't got enough empty / dead servers now..... so why the hell not.

They wouldn't be empty for sure, but the problem is - spliting versions of the game. That means they need 2 teams of developers and etc., one for WoD, other for vanilla.
Although i would guess Vanilla and TBC servers would each have active 50.000 - 100.000 player base.

Wake up dude. You think that PAID vanilla would have more players than the free one? You're delusional. I know people who play private servers ONLY for the reason they don't have to pay. I would be surprised if even 10% of people from free servers decided to pay for vanilla, and add to that maybe again teh same amount of people who don't play free servers, but would roll on vanilla.
08/06/2015 14:45Posted by Semina
There's nothing to stop you playing on a vanilla server one day

Except the fact they do not, and will not, exist.

"We were at one time internally discussing the possibility fairly seriously, but the long term interest in continued play on them couldn't justify the extremely large amount of development and support resources it would take to implement and maintain them. We'd effectively be developing and supporting two different games."

"We have no plans of making pre-TBC realms. This goes against the very nature of an MMO and would be a logistical nightmare. There's no switch to flip on the realms to roll back years of patches and changes, and we don't intend to invent one so that a very small minority of players can play what we feel would be an inferior cousin of the World of Warcraft of today"

"Q: Could we just lay that vanilla server talk to rest? There will never be other servers than the newest expansion.
GC: Been trying that for years. It doesn't work. "

Classic WoW isn't coming back. Stop deluding yourself.
It just seems like Pro-Vanilla server threads have come about as a result of the dire state of WoD; yes, they existed beforehand but not in such extreme quanities.

"WoD is bad, so I will hope for Vanilla"

The fact it is a hot topic and one I see regularly also plays a part in spreading itself amongst the playerbase as a good idea. The more that WoD fails to deliver, the more people flock to the idea of a "better time" and see these threads almost self-replicating in a cellular fashion.

I feel that such critique would be better directed at the things wrong with WoD rather than the things "great" with Vanilla. If the now seems bleak, you should try and brighten the future rather than look back on brighter times.

But yet again, and this is getting quite repetitve now, it will cost Blizzard money!

They have already said they aren't going to do it, given the reasons why, and nothing has changed in the interim. Look at all these threads, not one whisper or murmur from Blizzard concerning them, they have said their opinion.

It is not down to how 'serious' the players are, it is down to the 'number' of player there are.
Or they make wow fun again,time walking is fun they just need to come back to dificilty of the game level of TBC and Vanilla(leveling included) and we good too go,becouse now this game is just mashing boxas+Facebook crap tbh :/
08/06/2015 16:58Posted by Nesaldor
It just seems like Pro-Vanilla server threads have come about as a result of the dire state of WoD; yes, they existed beforehand but not in such extreme quanities.

Sorry, but these threads have been going since Cata, it has nothing to do with WoD, You said yourself that Blizzards comments on them came from a Long long time ago.
08/06/2015 15:42Posted by Nesaldor
Well, 1% of the current playerbase is not an awful lot of people, especially when we consider we need to split that 1% across US, EU, Russian and Chinese servers. You end up with minorities of minorities, and when we account for inevitable drop outs and gradual decline, you've had a pointless venture.

It's like when something seems really good in your mind, and then eventually tasting it leaves a "meh" or a "It's the same as before" taste and you move on.

At today's subscriber figures, 1% would be 71,000 which is more than enough to justify the cost of a single server. But then it's not so much the people currently playing the game who would play on a vanilla server as all those who have quit over the years who might come back if such a server was launched.

How many people in total have played WoW since it launched? Many, many more than are playing it today. If even 1% of them have any interest in a vanilla server, you're talking hundreds of thousands of potential players.
08/06/2015 17:18Posted by Tiordan
08/06/2015 16:58Posted by Nesaldor

Sorry, but these threads have been going since Cata, it has nothing to do with WoD, You said yourself that Blizzards comments on them came from a Long long time ago.

You should read his post. He actually said they'd been going since before WoD.

For what it's worth, the first classic WoW request thread I remember seeing was right after TBC launched but I wouldn't be surprised if there were ones before vanilla WoW had actually ended.
Plus Blizzard should hire a gamers like Jeffrey Kaplan for Directors for wow becouse all they hire now is carrer seekers and gold diggers not GAMERS