Talking to people

General
I've seen a lot of things about how WoW is becoming less and less social, and I was wondering how do people seem to make friends and chat here? I know people that do and have been through a few guilds but just can't find people who will talk to me. Is WoW unsocial or am I just having bad luck?
I have no problems getting into a chat with most groups I join.
What I found is that the best places to find friends are those guilds which are more close-knit and not the ones which attempt to rake in as many members as possible (the so-called "social" guilds).

In fact, the best advice I can offer is from Eric Cartman:

https://youtu.be/cWEWCWljaBU?t=56s
A good way for a good start with the interactions in an LFD group, is to greet them when you come in.

Most of them greet you back and then you can pick a subject you want to chat about.
I got impression that the harder/longer it takes instance to run the more likely you'll have some new friends. When everyone is fully geared and wipes the whole dungeon in minutes, not even bothering to say hi or bb at the end, it's most likely no friends, no memories, just a crappy loot. When dungeon is taking some time, you wait for re-queue, while chatting about latest patch or some movie, trying to do dung with 3 people cause tank and dps left, wipe on bosses and trash at start of expansion etc, people tend to chat much more and I had some great friends from that situations. That was exactly the case in vanilla, when after couple of hours you finally leave deadmines (hard situations connect people) and continue to quest with that guys the next day, and months after that. It was so much fun.

And, of course, just say "hi" and "bb" at dung, even if no one is doing it, ask for tactics if you are 1st time here - there are people who will be glad to help, start a conversation when waiting for tank that went WC etc, and at some point you will def. meet someone. Also mythics is a good way to kinda experience how it was before - when you need to go by foot to the entrance and dung. are hard, so more time to know each other. Trade chat, LF chat can work too, while LFG is usually poor for making friends, from my experience. Too much "gogogogogogo"ers and elitists there. One of the best ideas is as usual - join social guild. Really social, not just advertised as "social".
06/09/2015 15:26Posted by Obake
I have no problems getting into a chat with most groups I join.

Exactly. It's also not hard to find a guild via talking to people in random dungeons and Pugs from your realm alone (though if you're looking to progress, you're better off finding a dedicated guild via wowprogress / recruitment forums / other)
I tried to chat once in dungeon. People never replied back and eventually I was removed from the group.
The thing is conversations aren't just going to serve themselves up, you need to cook it yourself and this is even more true for a game and community as old as WoW; in the early days many conversation were triggered by people asking for advice or help or talking about new content or triggered by their excitement in exploring and experiencing the new things, but the community is so old that most players have experienced all that there is too experience; those conversations just won't come up as often now and with it we loose a good amount of triggers to starting conversations and generally interacting with each other.

The people are the same, it's just the age of the community has led to people not really needing to talk so much. So, just put yourself out there more; start conversations and people will respond and conversations will flare; it's just most people don't have much to say these days.

In my opinion, people are just as social as they have always been, but conversations are harder to start as there is less to talk about, this is especially true when expansions start to get old and dungeons and quests begin to become mundane tasks people just want over and done with. But if you try, you can spark up conversations and what not, it'll just require more effort than usual (My best advice is just to try and make people laugh, don't talk about Real Life stuff, just joke around, have a laugh and ask people for advice A lot more, and you'll soon get a good social circle)

Ow and never give up. No matter if people don't respond keep trying to trigger a conversation. Never give up but also don't be annoyed by peoples lack of interaction; it's their choice.
Was in the one a event timewalking, i accendently forgot about a patrol and thus went for barrage, my mistake. First time i had barrge in those, wanted to say: "Sorry, thought those were out of reach" . First time i heard somebody talk in a dungeon for a long time: "Stupid morinic hunter" on which i left myself.
My advise to a similar thread i posted awhile ago.

17/08/2015 21:23Posted by Izzyfurious
Im gonna be downvoted for telling common sense, because no one on this forum can take common sense obviously.

If you want the social back for you, you can also do it if you start been social to others, instead of hoping others will be social towards you.

Start by helping other players that want help, by helping more and more you bring social back to not only others, but also yourself.

And if you do that others will want to be more social with you.

This is how i have gotten a ton of friends in the game, and it really works!
06/09/2015 16:57Posted by Destruct
Was in the one a event timewalking, i accendently forgot about a patrol and thus went for barrage, my mistake. First time i had barrge in those, wanted to say: "Sorry, thought those were out of reach" . First time i heard somebody talk in a dungeon for a long time: "Stupid morinic hunter" on which i left myself.

If it makes you feel any better, I would have said "ebin barrage"
06/09/2015 19:59Posted by Obake
If it makes you feel any better, I would have said "ebin barrage"

They really should fix it indeed, i stood all the way back with my back against the wall and yet although the pack was in a other room it still pulled, skill is the ebst for dps but just broken. Why does it hit every mob in a 100 yard radius...

Your reaction i would have responded to as: "Indeed, look at how far we were from the patrol and it still hit it..."

Heck when i still used pets i had hundreds of times where a pet teleported to me, but had that one dungeon had a jump where if you didn't dismiss your pet it would pull the whole dungeon. Which nobody of us knew/realized and nobody in the group said something so ofc i just jumped exspecting my pet to follow me. Immetdiatly get called a retard and kicked.
Im gonna be downvoted for telling common sense, because no one on this forum can take common sense obviously.

While I agree with your post, you think it's ok to start "friendly and social" tip with words like "you retards dont understand common sense, listen to me, i will teach you" ? :)
06/09/2015 20:31Posted by Tindella

While I agree with your post, you think it's ok to start "friendly and social" tip with words like "you retards dont understand common sense, listen to me, i will teach you" ? :)

You took my quote out of context and got the wrong impression of it.

Well done-.-

And as much as you thought i implied it that way, it has been my experience on here.

When ever i have told something that many others also feel, i got downvoted to oblivion.

That says something.

I didn't imply it as what you meant with ''you are retards if you don't understand common sense, i will teach you''
06/09/2015 21:19Posted by Izzyfurious

When ever i have told something that many others also feel, i got downvoted to oblivion.

That says something.

[/quote]

It is a bit like Matrix with some people. They have decided that every other WoW player is a mindless drone and do not want that fantasy disrupted.

It seems like people expect others to start random conversations particularly in LFD exactly when they feel like talking, instead of starting the conversation themselves, they look at other sources to dish the blame on.
06/09/2015 21:29Posted by Obake

That says something.

It is a bit like Matrix with some people. They have decided that every other WoW player is a mindless drone and do not want that fantasy disrupted.

It seems like people expect others to start random conversations particularly in LFD exactly when they feel like talking, instead of starting the conversation themselves, they look at other sources to dish the blame on.

Been playing for years off and on, done hundreds of dungeons and can tell you that it is incredibly hard to get interaction out of people despite trying.

You took my quote out of context and got the wrong impression of it.

Well done-.-

From context? From what context?

"Im gonna be downvoted for telling common sense, because no one on this forum can take common sense obviously." - yeah, I dont really get any context out of your post. I read it 4-5 times. Out of context means when you, for example, have one big text, you grab a phrase from there, and turn it as you like, not connecting to any other meaning in the original text, but rather using it as a standalone meaning for your own benefit.

And as much as you thought i implied it that way, it has been my experience on here.
So, basically, now you are saying it was not a context and you meant it? English is my alt so I can be really lost in here, but I think you are contradicting yourself in just 1 post and you really bend my mind here
I make friends/ online acquaintances easily enough through random BGs.

And as a digression what one person feels is "common sense" may be quite technical for someone else.
Try using this thread:

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/13123103300?page=3

The first one was quite succesful.
Talking to people is a case of how much time you spend with them.

Yesterday, for the first time in years, I pugged a couple of bosses in hc HFC. Gathering the group took quite long, so people talked in raid chat just fine.

Back in the days, 5 mans took quite long, you needed mana breaks every other pack, in hcs you even needed to mark and sort cc. People had time to talk. Nowadays, when 5 mans are an aoe fest, talking feels forced.