Why do I have 42 ms in UK, when I used to have 20?

Technical Support
It's been bugging me for a while. My ms used to be between 20-23, but last year it changed permanently to a stable 42, and it's never gone back down. I live in central Scotland, UK. Spell casting has a slightly higher delay since this change, and although the game is still easily playable, I still find it quite irritating at times. The main reason I'm annoyed however is because I don't understand why it happened, or how.

What do you guys think?
Could've been a routing change. But not much you can do about it if it's that.
Are you on Virgin Media? Because I have the same issue in NW England, as do my friends who are also on VM.
Yeah Sparkk, I'm on Virgin Media. It could be related, then :z
How could I find out if it was a routing change, Nyshae?
I don't think you can unless you've got a sample of the old route to compare. it could also be other things, not just a change in routing, and a latency increase of roughly 20ms isn't something you're going to manage have anyone look into :s

Edit: Some people are pointing the more recent problems at a firmware upgrade of the superhub, but if your problem started last year then not sure it'll be related.
It's a Virgin routing issue and nothing to do with the modem. They route the traffic differently/more cheaply now which means you get double your previous latency.

Occasionally during off peak times you get changed back to the old path.
Their service is seriously going from bad to worse. :(
i went from 20 to 21 and i find this a outrage Kappa.
I'm on BT and it's been a day that the lag skyrocketed from 13 to over a 100, even 200...
Same here, Virgin Media HFC 100 broadband, central Scotland.
The ping jumped from 20ish to stable 43ish.

As an IT professional I suspect routing as well, it never bothered me too much to look into it.
Coincidentally though I recall it began with the whole Warlords of Draenor expansion.

28/07/2015 01:38Posted by Persona
I'm on BT and it's been a day that the lag skyrocketed from 13 to over a 100, even 200...

Copper lines aren't of superb quality, putting that aside, if both VM (hybrid fibreoptic coaxial lines) and BT/Sky/TT (copper lines) users report the same, it can mean a bigger change at the backbone.
28/07/2015 04:39Posted by Greenvandal

28/07/2015 01:38Posted by Persona

Copper lines aren't of superb quality, putting that aside, if both VM (hybrid fibreoptic coaxial lines) and BT/Sky/TT (copper lines) users report the same, it can mean a bigger change at the backbone.

I have fibre (300 mbps)...so after some time of almost 0 lag it is surprising to have such issues out of nowhere.