Why are faction changes / server migrations so much?

Customer Support
It's made me think recently why they're so much money. On the Cataclysm beta / 4.0.3 PTR's (only instances i know for sure) faction changes and recustomisations were all free so the process obviously isnt hard and/or taking up blizzard resources. Server migrations again are a micro transaction but they do obviously offer free migrations away from high population realms to completely dead realms that give no incentive to go there. We do pay monthy for this game and I realise that we get alot of steady content for this game. But my question is, Why do blizzard ask for such a price to do something that seems completely automated. Obviously its down to your situation if you think £15/20 euro is alot for a server transfer but im sure alot of the player base would be over the moon at prospects of cheaper character services.

Sorry if its repost #9001 i didnt do much checking it was just something i was thinking about
please dont bump topics. especially after less than an hour

it costs that much cause blizzard want it to
I think Blizzard is charging to much for it too.
I don't even know why they changed it, so that you would have to pay.
The worst thing about it, is that it cost more than a months gameplay of WoW.
they never changed it so u had to pay. since character transfer was brought in, there has been a charge (i believe)
It's very simple.

The price for the paid services are priced because Blizzard do not want players to use them, they do not want you to change your appearance all the time, they don't want you to change name all the time, they don't want you to change race or faction all the time.

They want you to make one choice and try to stick with it.
.. and to continue Fiskerdin's statement:

Rerolling is free. If you dont want to pay, reroll.
Good evening Sanderson,

I understand that the main goal of your thread here may in fact be more to provide feedback about the pricing structure of these Paid Character Services, and perhaps also to effectively suggest that they be made cheaper or free altogether, and unfortunately we as support team members aren’t the most appropriate people to receive this feedback.

However, your direct question is why the Paid Services carry the cost they do and I’m afraid to say that a part of the answer is that a decision was made that these services, being entirely optional and non-essential, should carry a charge.

If this seems odd then please do consider that, while none of these Character Services usually require a direct human input to initiate or complete, in order to be able to offer such services the appropriate automated systems did obviously need to be put into place, including development and technical team time to ensure that all the necessary conversions were occurring correctly.

Keeping the services available also requires the a network of support in place to maintain them, handle queries and correct erroneous requests, so although I can appreciate your argument that it’s an automated service so it can run itself I’m afraid that things will seldom work out that way. Therefore, with such changes to a character being made by players mainly for cosmetic or preference reasons, this hopefully provides some level of explanation as to why any cost at all is associated with the services.
Good evening Sanderson,

I understand that the main goal of your thread here may in fact be more to provide feedback about the pricing structure of these Paid Character Services, and perhaps also to effectively suggest that they be made cheaper or free altogether, and unfortunately we as support team members aren’t the most appropriate people to receive this feedback.

However, your direct question is why the Paid Services carry the cost they do and I’m afraid to say that a part of the answer is that a decision was made that these services, being entirely optional and non-essential, should carry a charge.

If this seems odd then please do consider that, while none of these Character Services usually require a direct human input to initiate or complete, in order to be able to offer such services the appropriate automated systems did obviously need to be put into place, including development and technical team time to ensure that all the necessary conversions were occurring correctly.

Keeping the services available also requires the a network of support in place to maintain them, handle queries and correct erroneous requests, so although I can appreciate your argument that it’s an automated service so it can run itself I’m afraid that things will seldom work out that way. Therefore, with such changes to a character being made by players mainly for cosmetic or preference reasons, this hopefully provides some level of explanation as to why any cost at all is associated with the services.

sorry, but this is a joke right?

these services carry a charge extra to a subscription because they "might" need someone there if it goes wrong? And with the millions of £££ of profit that was announced recently (which may i add is from your customers), a extortionate charge is still valid?

And about the "network of support inplace blah blah"....again, MONTHLY SUBCRIPTION and items from the blizzard store should EASILY cover this.

When you stop wasting OUR money on stupid april fools "jokes" and the countless other things you've wasted our money on...then maybe blizzard will have a good stance on charging people to xfer, switch realm etc.

people are losing respect and patience with this game and the greed filtering through from the decision makers, 600000 gone, wont be long before another 600000 follow and so on.

biting off the hand that feeds you.
Wow.

/lock