Don't buy gold! Here is why...

New/Returning Player Questions & Guides
1 2 3 5 Next
Hey all. As of late there have been a massive increase of gold selling posts here on the forums. So here is why you shouldn't buy gold.

Gold buying is against the ToU and bannable

Might as well get this one out the way first. Gold buying is not allowed. If you buy gold you run a strong risk of being banned. Do you really want to risk losing months of work just because you bought 1000 gold?

Gold buying is cheating

It is. By buying gold you are obtaining an unfair advantage in the game. Its wrong. If your guildies/friends find out - you might find yourself being called a cheat. That's just not nice.

Gold for sale is stolen

Ever had your account hacked? Do you know someone who has? Guess where the gold sellers get their gold from? That's right, hacked accounts. By buying gold you are supporting the hacking and keylogging of WoW accounts. Think about it - the next victim could be you.

Gold sellers spam!

Been sat in Stormwind/Orgrimmar lately and had some one /yell /whisper or use trade to advertise gold selling services? How annoying is that! They also spam these very forums with adverts. By buying gold, you encourage these actions. You don't want to do that do you? Oh and guess what accounts they use to spam? That's right - hacked ones.

Gold sellers hack their buyer's accounts

Yep. Several of the gold selling websites will take your money, and then go and hack your account. Awful isn't it. So if you buy from them, you not only run the risk of being banned, support hacking and spamming, but you also could end up being hacked by the very same people who you just bought from.

Gold sellers spam their buyers!

Gold sellers have no care for your privacy. They will add you to mailing lists and spam you with gold ads. Not only that, they will also send you phishing emails to try and hack you (as noted above.)

Gold sellers steal your personal information

When you buy gold, they ask for personal information such as name, email, often address too. Plus if you use your credit card on their site, they also get that too. All information that they can sell the the highest bidder....

So. Don't buy gold!

Gold sellers ruin the game for everyone. Sure, its very tempting to get some cheap gold, and on the surface it looks harmless. But unfortunately it isn't. Go and ask someone who has been hacked what it feels like to login and find their character naked with no gold. Its awful.

We CAN beat the gold sellers. They will only spam/hack/sell as long as people buy it.

To help fight hacking, spamming and gold selling - Don't Buy Gold!

Don't want to take my word for it?
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/services/anti-gold/
I have added this thread to the Helpful Newcomer Reading compilation. Great job Amarielle :)
Thanks! :) Hopefully it will help!
who reported this?
29/01/2011 3:41 PMPosted by Swinter
who reported this?

It is reported for sticky :)
29/01/2011 3:49 PMPosted by Amarielle
who reported this?

ohh, i thoug hthat sign ment it was reported for trolling/ect

Nah. Not this time ^^
yes, there is no reason to buy gold at all. it gets you banned, it destroys the economy and it will likely cause your account to get hacked. plus it's super easy to earn these days. don't buy gold, you will regret it.
29/01/2011 3:56 PMPosted by Amarielle

Nah. Not this time ^^

Above the first post to the right you have the text "Vote Sticky", so no need anymore to report for stickies (or so I assume).

Nah. Not this time ^^

Above the first post to the right you have the text "Vote Sticky", so no need anymore to report for stickies (or so I assume).

That has been used. Still gives the icon :)
Now we can only hope to see one day where WoW is clean from all goldspammers!
lol
Yes. My last account was hacked. Not very nice.

I wouldn't buy gold anyway, since I wouldn't trust the source offering it and I don't want to lose my account just after getting it back.
And in wonderful irony, this very post is attacked by a goldfarmer message. Whenever you see one of these, the best thing to do is immediately report it as spam, and when the CM's wake up they all get deleted again. If enough people mark it up though, it will be "buried" until then and not normally visible.
30/01/2011 1:07 PMPosted by Alyssia
And in wonderful irony, this very post is attacked by a goldfarmer message. Whenever you see one of these, the best thing to do is immediately report it as spam, and when the CM's wake up they all get deleted again. If enough people mark it up though, it will be "buried" until then and not normally visible.

This!

No CMs online at the moment, sadly. They have had a lot to do recently, with all this gold spam on the forums. It's so silly that gold buyers actually finance this spam attack and ruin the gameplay for everybody else...
Yeah. I reported it and several other posts by this chancer which are all exactly the same.

Guess some people contact them as a result of this behaviour. Personally, I wish he would just go away.
Oh and Lethan, if you have a direct line to the CM's can you maybe suggest something like a maximum posts per hour limit, because this is slightly ridiculous
In light of the new spam posts remember- this is CAUSED by gold buying!

Do NOT buy gold!