One pet to rule them all?

Warlock
I’ll try to be as concise as possible. This post isn’t meant to be a QQ post, but a compilation of my thoughts on the subject. I do think there are some serious balance issues between pets right now, and I find it hard to believe that all of them are intended.

Before Cataclysm release, Blizzard stated that they were trying to get out of the “one pet per spec” design. From a PvE perspective, right now we reached the extreme opposite, with a situation that could be labelled: “one pet for every spec”.

The Sims recently showed the Succubus to be the best single target pet for both Demonology and Affliction. And wouldn’t it be for Burning Embers and Empowered Imp, Destruction would have probably been using the Succubus too. As it turned out that Lash of Pain critical hit chance was being overestimated, EJ was proven wrong.
Yet, everyone has to realize that this is the result of awkward in game scaling: LoP being a spell but not benefiting from the spell crit debuffs or spell crit rating from the Warlock. If the succubus was benefiting from crit, as she should be via pet scaling, we would still be using her.
Now, as 4.0.6 is getting closer, the buff to the Imp’s Demon Soul effect and the fact that Firebolt is correctly scaling with debuffs and the warlock’s ratings, are pushing the little green thing as the go-to pet for the three specs.

Why is that?

1. “Basic attacks” and their interactions with Mana Feed

Mana feed only procs off basic attacks. But Firebolt and LoP are spammable whereas Legion Strike and Shadowbite both share a 6 sec cooldown. Which means that even if the Felguard and Felhunter dps was higher than the Imp’s (it’s not), they’d still have to make up for the dps loss of a three times smaller mana supply, forcing the Warlock to Life Tap more often.

2. Unbalanced glyphs

Glyph of LoP increases LoP damage by 25%. Glyph of Imp increases Firebolt damage by 20%. Glyph of Felguard increases Legion Strike damage by 5%.
As the Succubus and the Imp have no other attack than LoP and Firebolt, both glyphs effectively increase their dps by 25 and 20%. Glyph of Felguard increases its dps by 1%. Glyph of Felhunter actually increases nothing.

Because of the aforementioned reasons, Affliction is pigeonholed with a pet whose Demon Soul effect benefits to a magic school it doesn’t use.
The Felhunter, despite having an obvious synergy with Affliction via Shadowbite and Demon Soul, cannot compete with the Imp or the Succubus, because of its abysmal dps and poor interaction with Mana feed.

While being a signature ability of the Demonology tree (comparable to Conflagration for destro, and Unstable Affliction for Affliction), the Felguard is a dps loss on single target, and has to use AoE abilities on every cooldown (to the point where Felstorm is being macro’ed into most spells) to remain slightly competitive. Yet it is getting a 30% reduction on Felstorm, which will hurt its single target dps as well and is having the same issues than the Felhunter when it comes down to Mana feed.
It wouldn’t sound logical if Conflagrate or UA were a dps loss on single target fights and only worth it on fights with lots of adds, so why is it that Demonology cannot use its signature spell at its fullest?

I understand that the intent may have been to allow Warlocks to switch more conveniently between pets to adapt to boss fights, but right now it just isn’t the case.
I do think we reached the point where we need a clarification from Blizzard if this situation is intended or not.
This actually makes sence, good job!

Unfortunately, blizzard does not care about warlocks
Well done that is a great post :) and I am sure this is the kind of well thought out post that blizzard looks into.
I also find it hard to beleive that it was intended for minions to become like this and I hope it gets rebalanced. I personally would love my fel pup back as afflic if ever poss.
01/02/2011 5:10 PMPosted by Thalià
Because of the aforementioned reasons, Affliction is pigeonholed with a pet whose Demon Soul effect benefits to a magic school it doesn’t use.

Well shadowbolt is shadow school and afflictions main nuke (if you play it that way) - so not really a problem imo. However i do want my felhunter back!
Nice, well written post.

I hope blizz fixes this by buffing felhunter and felguard; not by nerfing succubus and imp.
01/02/2011 6:42 PMPosted by Falc

Well shadowbolt is shadow school and afflictions main nuke (if you play it that way) - so not really a problem imo. However i do want my felhunter back!

Except Affliction will be using the Imp come 4.0.6 if things stay that way.
glyph of imp is only 10% and nerf to felstrorm is 15%
Glyph of imp is indeed 20% (http://www.wowhead.com/item=42465/).
Felstorm nerf is 20%, not the 30% I thought. It doesn't change my point though.
this thread is pretty full of win. you pretty much just said everything that is wrong with our current pet situation, and you said it well. great post.

i for one dont even see the problem with 1 pet for each spec. i think it gives us a great diversity that no other class has, and i like how class defining and unique it is. also, the intended system has proven to be too much of a problem to balance as far as i can tell. we went from all using succ, to apparently now all being supposed to use imp.

besides, i am confused as a demo lock that i specced into getting a cool and powerful pet, only to have him be a situational AoE fighter, who is now getting nerfed to the ground. your idea was never that good to begin with Blizzard, and the outcome of trying to implement it was HORRIBLE. especially since you tuned the demon soul effects to 1 pet per spec, so you didnt even fully finish the job. please just admit the mistake, change it back, and focus on balancing it that way. works so much better. and besides, we still have soooooo much more to offer in that field than even a hunter in some ways, atleast imo. so no problem in 1 spec one pet. especially since anything else for a demonology lock is just downright stupid.
Great post, agree on everything.
great post, had the same thoughts over the past weeks and although i'm not that sad about using different demons every other patch, i'm getting the feeling that a lot of our mechanics are not intended. the recent patchnotes (ptr) support this theory. taking 15% haste from a middleclass dd? we're good on "warlock-fights" because of class mechanics, but we suck at single target dps. everybody playing a lock can see this with some raidexperience.

i think we will see a lot of warlock changes in the future because we are far from "working as intended". at least it will never get boring, adjusting to patches everytime (i actually appreciate my class changing every patch).
01/02/2011 9:32 PMPosted by Dargonax
especially since you tuned the demon soul effects to 1 pet per spec, so you didnt even fully finish the job. please just admit the mistake, change it back, and focus on balancing it that way. works so much better. and besides, we still have soooooo much more to offer in that field than even a hunter in some ways, atleast imo. so no problem in 1 spec one pet. especially since anything else for a demonology lock is just downright stupid

Agree, demon soul as it is (even after the imp version fix) , seems like devs started with a good idea, then lost their impression after they began the work and in example just said something like "erm... soooo let the succubus increase shadow bolt damage oh yea kewl spell is done kkthxbai."

One idea is changing it to a buff (similiar to the old master demonologist - that was really an iconic ability why they removed and made a cd version of it, i dont understand) that is permanent as long as pet is alive. With buffs which make sense according to the active demon.

The best is let's keep this thread bumped (with insightful posts) and hope we get blizz's attention about this.
well, i'd like them to actually change master demonology an demonic empowerment as well. both need a major remake...demon soul is fine except for succubus. she needs a PvP effect and we need our spec tuned pets back.
OP did a really good job of summarizing most of problems/complains regarding current warlocks pet design. And these questions really deserves to be answered by Blizzard...

However I really doubt there will be any blue response on this one, unfortunately. Blizzard posters all suddenly seem went silent. Did anyone else noticed severe decrease of Blue responses for the last month? Just check the front page of the forums - the last Blue response to any EU forum was ... more than 5 days ago...
yup, they did idd disapear. they actually did so over the years. id you checked very old posts on the old forums, more or less ALL of them had blue responses. just ope they realise their mistake by themselves and decide to fix it.
Very nice and informative post, thanks for taking the time to write it. I hope it gets the attention it deserves from Blizz (though I doubt it).
Succubus was doing higher damage on sims because it was simmed out how the Succubus is intended to scale - i.e. Simcraft technically should have been right, however, the Succubus is currently bugged and scaling neither with Haste nor Crit - contrary to the idea that's been put about that she is or should be scaling with melee stats. Test it - her Crit without debuffs on a target will be ~4% regardless of the stats on your gear.

Furthermore, intended or not, your pets' regular melee swings do not benefit from Hand of Gul'dan - this is another reason Succubus should work out better for Demo.
well, it is still a big mistake. why oh why give demo the FG if the succ is gonna be our universal pet from now on?

"but hes naize on AoE" yea, very useful and awesome, especially now that hes getting nerfed like ****. also, why go through all that trouble in wrath and now with demon soul in cata to tune the felhunter to afflic, only to make the succubus our universal pet just like that? biggest. fail. ever.