Scroll of Town Portal

General
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
+1. I fully support this idea.

I do enjoy traveling, flying, sometimes using flight paths. I do all of them a lot. However, there are times that I want to reach somewhere fast but I can't. There are times, I have a desire to do something, then I realize it will take about half an hour to reach there, so I simply don't bother.

Giving the teleportation ability to one of the classes was a bad idea to start with. Such a huge feat shouldn't be gifted to just one class. It's not like having an amazing class-specific mount or an awesome class-specific item etc. it is a game changing thing in terms of travel time and your overall experience, that only one class can do. Not fair.

EDIT: Can't really understand why anyone wouldn't want to have this ability to travel quickly in the game. Want to continue traveling on foot or on a ship or whatever? Want to continue begging Mages to create a portal? By all means do. I spend about 99% of my game time outside of the cities, where you can't find a Mage, actually you shouldn't need to. That's why I support this idea.
26/12/2015 16:52Posted by Eom
There are times, I have a desire to do something, then I realize it will take about half an hour to reach there, so I simply don't bother.

There is literally no place in WoW that takes half an hour to reach. Unless youre walking from winterspring to Ahn Qiraj without a mount.

Giving the teleportation ability to one of the classes was a bad idea to start with. Such a huge feat shouldn't be gifted to just one class. It's not like having an amazing class-specific mount or an awesome class-specific item etc. it is a game changing thing in terms of travel time and your overall experience, that only one class can do. Not fair.

I havent asked a mage for a portal ever since TBC. Dalaran has a portal to SW. Shrine has a portal to every major city. Stormshield has a portal to every city except silvermoon/exodar. Shattrah has portals aswell. There is the ship in SW/Darnassus to the exodar and the orb in undercity to silvermoon (if you even need to go there in the first place. There is the garrison hearthstone to your garrison which has a portal to stormshield/warspear. There is jainas locket to farm for a portal to dalaran. There is the dalaran ring teleport. There is the Brawler ring teleport. There are the guild cloaks with a org/sw teleport. There is the argent crusader tabard for a teleport to icecrown.

Mage portals aint game changing one bit.

EDIT: Can't really understand why anyone wouldn't want to have this ability to travel quickly in the game. Want to continue traveling on foot or on a ship or whatever? Want to continue begging Mages to create a portal? By all means do. I spend about 99% of my game time outside of the cities, where you can't find a Mage, actually you shouldn't need to. That's why I support this idea.

Read above.
There is literally no place in WoW that takes half an hour to reach.

Well, I am a slow one, what of it?

Unless youre walking from winterspring to Ahn Qiraj without a mount.

Walk from Winterspring to Ahn'Qiraj in half an hour and I will give you all my gold.

I really fail to understand what you or anyone who think like you are defending. Unless it is a defense for the sake of defense. "No, don't let us go wherever we want whenever we want, we are happy wasting our precious game time in travels". Can't really grasp that much of logic.

If they implemented OP's suggestion right now, none of you would be affected negatively, am I wrong? But a lot of others including me would be happy to be able to travel around more freely and quickly. People would be around the world more actively, doing more things they dread doing now due to travel taking long.
26/12/2015 13:26Posted by Aleswall
I think I wouldn't mind so much if Blizzard hadn't been slowly pruning the unique utility from classes over the past few expansions. I'd rather not lose the last bit of my Mage that separates me from a Shaman / Warlock. And no we don't count summoning food, that stopped happening with feasts in MoP.

I agree. I'm for rying to make classes more unique, not take away the only things that still makes them unique. Yeah, it'd be convenient if everyone could teleport/portal.. but it'd also be nice if we could all summon each other like Warlocks (RIP Have Group Will Travel) or travel shape shift like Druids. Things like these aren't necessary, just convenient... but they are conveniences that makes that class unique. I love that Legion is trying to make classes special, and more unique again!

Do remember that a lot of teleports/portal items (such as the engineering ones) are going to be made toys in Legion which will help a lot with getting around the world. It is getting more difficult since the world is getting bigger... I just don't think that's reason enough to take away unique aspects of a class.
26/12/2015 18:58Posted by Eom
Well, I am a slow one, what of it?

Then youre 1 out of a million.

I really fail to understand what you or anyone who think like you are defending. Unless it is a defense for the sake of defense. "No, don't let us go wherever we want whenever we want, we are happy wasting our precious game time in travels". Can't really grasp that much of logic.

Because it takes no time at all to travel anymore. Simple as that.

Wasting your precious time you say? Then dont play this game. Simple as that. While you walk (or use the flying master) you could use your oh so precious time for irl stuff while youre flying.

If they implemented OP's suggestion right now, none of you would be affected negatively, am I wrong?

I havent asked a mage for a portal ever since TBC. Dalaran has a portal to SW. Shrine has a portal to every major city. Stormshield has a portal to every city except silvermoon/exodar. Shattrah has portals aswell. There is the ship in SW/Darnassus to the exodar and the orb in undercity to silvermoon (if you even need to go there in the first place. There is the garrison hearthstone to your garrison which has a portal to stormshield/warspear. There is jainas locket to farm for a portal to dalaran. There is the dalaran ring teleport. There is the Brawler ring teleport. There are the guild cloaks with a org/sw teleport. There is the argent crusader tabard for a teleport to icecrown.

But a lot of others including me would be happy to be able to travel around more freely and quickly. People would be around the world more actively, doing more things they dread doing now due to travel taking long.

They wouldnt. Why? Because its not needed. There is zero reason to visit the old zones outside of leveling or doing achivs.

The WoW community is already lazy enough. No reason to support that kind of behavior. Especially for parts where it isnt needed one bit. Also: Welcome to an RPG. Traveling is part of it.
Can't really understand why anyone wouldn't want to have this ability to travel quickly in the game.

I'm sure anyone would love to have such a convenience.
But convenience changes doesn't always make a better game.

Look at leveling.
It's very convenient that it doesn't take long these days to reach max level.
But at what cost? There's no challenge in leveling anymore. You steamroll through it all the way to the current expansion. You outlevel zones not even halfway through.
Even without Heirlooms and rested experience.

Bottom line: Convenience changes might be great for a certain situations, but they can affect the entire game.
26/12/2015 12:04Posted by Benjamin
Shut up this is not Diablo

If you want a portal do it like the rest of WoW players. Roll a mage or ask a mage nicely.

Loads of MMORPG's do exactly what the OP's asking for... wth's Diablo got to do with it ?
26/12/2015 19:13Posted by Poly
Convenience changes might be great for a certain situations, but they can affect the entire game.

I totally agree with your point, that's why I added the following for why I believe it will affect the game positively:

"People would be around the world more actively, doing more things they dread doing now due to travel taking long."

Because it takes no time at all to travel anymore.

I guess we are not playing the same game. Probably, spending all your time in the garrison partying with your followers made you forget how long it takes to reach any place you want to go, especially during leveling.

Wasting your precious time you say? Then dont play this game.

I do enjoy the game a lot, I can bet more than you. But after exploring everywhere in much detail and having taken all travel routes countless times, having to spend hours and days in total just to reach places where my main focus is what I define as waste of time.

Seems, afterall, you are really not against having some sort of teleportation in the game. Why would it bother you that players can have scrolls that they can use any time during their adventures, without having to visit a specific location, NPC or a Mage?

26/12/2015 19:04Posted by Kretias
They wouldnt. Why? Because its not needed. There is zero reason to visit the old zones outside of leveling or doing achivs.

The WoW community is already lazy enough. No reason to support that kind of behavior. Especially for parts where it isnt needed one bit. Also: Welcome to an RPG. Traveling is part of it.

Looking at the "for" comments on this post, it is obvious that you are defending something blindly for the sake of defending it. You have no idea of all the fantastic reasons I and many others have for visiting all the zones around Azeroth. Noone is saying remove travel and teleport us instantly to any coordinate, just to main cities.

Likewise, welcome to fantasy RPGs, teleportation is part of it.
I can't recall the last time I actually used a mage portal.

I got my hearthstone set to Shrine.

In Shrine I can reach all the captial cities.

In Stormwind I got the Cataclysm portals taking me to Uldum, Hyjal, Twilight Highlands (the ones that matter for moving around the continents)There is also a portal to Pandaria, Blasted lands and Hellfire Peninsula.

In Dalaran there is a portal to Caverns of time.

So more or less from Shrine I can reach every edge of the old world very easily. Combined with the fastest flying mount the traveling time becomes very short no matter where I'm going.

As for Draenor. Double hearthstones to Garrison. Garrison equipped with a lvl 3 mage tower with portals to Frostfire,Nagrand and Taanan. Plus the Stormshield portal.

And then I haven't even factioned in teleportation-items that can take me to Stormwind, Black Temple, Dalaran, Argent Tournament grounds, Timeless Isle.

Then we have all the Challenge Mode-portals.. Granted the MoP one arent obtainable anymore but if you did the Challenge modes in MoP you got instant acess to Tirisfal Glades and Eastern plaugelands plus around Pandaria. If you also have done the WoD ones you got quick acess around Draenor and Blackrock mountain (You could also use the Grim Guzzler thingy)

The truth is that traveling around the world quickly is very easy and in a couple of hours, if even that, you can set up a travelsystem that renders the use of mage portals useless.

With Legion we will get portals to Caverns of Time, Karazhan, Dalaran Crater, Shattrath, and Wyrmrest Temple in Dalaran. This will probably cause some problems with the hearthstone in Shrine but hopefully there will be portals to Shrine in Dalaran. If there is. Traveling will become even easier.
/snip

People frequently forget about the teleport item to your Garrison's Docks... so often got to remind them to use it if they say their Garrison hs is on CD.
26/12/2015 12:53Posted by Aleswall
You already made me an obselete vending machine, please don't make me an obselete travel guide too D=

Aww, that reminds me when Mages had these cool macros:

You are now flying with <mage's name> Airlines. Fasten your seatbelts and enjoy the flight to <city's name>

26/12/2015 15:19Posted by Hiix
Mages are such greedy players who want ridiculous prices to cast a spell that costs them absolutely nothing to do but the press/click of a button whilst afk in a city.

I agree. When portals needed reagents in order to be cast, it was proper for the interested party to at least refund the mage the cost of the portal. Tipping was a nice gesture, but it was not needed. Demanding money is sure unsightly, unless you purposefully went out of your way and created a taxi service.

To OP: Check out http://www.wowhead.com/news=199648/traveling-around-azeroth-a-transportation-guide. It lists a lot of items that help you travel around the world (although, they do require some effort to acquire).
I guess we are not playing the same game.

We are

Probably, spending all your time in the garrison partying with your followers made you forget how long it takes to reach any place you want to go, especially during leveling.

I have 4 100s 2 90s 1 level 87 1 level 88 1 level 70 1 level 45 1 level 19 1 level 83 1 level 23 and 1 61. Thank you pretty much. I do know pretty well how long it takes to travel. And its a joke compared to the past. Especially with mounts at level 20. Or even level 1 if you have the heirloom mount.

I do enjoy the game a lot, I can bet more than you.

Dont take bets for stuff you are not sure of winning. My last wow break was 6-7 years ago. I enjoy the game pretty much.

But after exploring everywhere in much detail and having taken all travel routes countless times, having to spend hours and days in total just to reach places where my main focus is what I define as waste of time.

So have i. So? My point stands. Its already fast enough.

Seems, afterall, you are really not against having some sort of teleportation in the game. Why would it bother you that players can have scrolls that they can use any time during their adventures, without having to visit a specific location, NPC or a Mage?

I never said im against teleport. Im simply against this teleportation scroll suggestion because, as i stated, because we already have tons of ways of getting around in an instant.

26/12/2015 19:38Posted by Eom
Looking at the "for" comments on this post, it is obvious that you are defending something blindly for the sake of defending it. You have no idea of all the fantastic reasons I and many others have for visiting all the zones around Azeroth. Noone is saying remove travel and teleport us instantly to any coordinate, just to main cities.

Take the flying master or bind your hearhstone to the shrine like any other smart human being.

26/12/2015 19:38Posted by Eom
Likewise, welcome to fantasy RPGs, teleportation is part of it.

Learn to read. Its already part of the game.

But anyway, blizzard wont implement this suggestion anyway.
26/12/2015 15:19Posted by Hiix
26/12/2015 11:47Posted by Shammoz
I think it would possibly render the Mage Portal spells irrelevant

Good tbh. Mages are such greedy players who want ridiculous prices to cast a spell that costs them absolutely nothing to do but the press/click of a button whilst afk in a city.

You forgot to add ...

"....in a city to create a portal for a lazy as heck player who cannot be arsed to run/fly/zepp/etc despite all of these things being much quicker these days or are just too lazy/cheap to buy the many items which can port yourself to capital cities/Dalaran etc. Not to mention the Shrine"

Same applies to the OP really - stop being so lazy/cheap apply a bit of brain power and dont rely upon mages, then you wont need the portals
26/12/2015 11:08Posted by Gudren
A dedicated Scroll for each of the main cities.

Set your hearthstone to the Shrine of Seven Stars (Alliance)/Shrine of Two Moons (Horde) in Vale of Eternal Blossoms, and you have all the portals you'll ever need.
Garrison Hearthstone with a level 3 garrison fixes the rest (portal to Stormshield).

In Legion, the new Dalaran will hopefully provide the function that the Shrines offer now.
In previous expansions the portals were usually removed when a new expansion came out. The ones in MoP still stand through WoD ... dunno whats gonna happen in Legion.

I'm on an old PC and Shrine is no option for me because its a lag fest. Besides that, having to port to an older expansion in order to get to one of the main cities is sloppy work, (for an RPG) to say the least.

I can't see any negative coming from either portal scrolls OR an upgraded single multi use hearthstone.

If mages have no problem with the Shrine system then why would they have problems with portal scrolls??? Personally i haven't even EVER asked a mage for a port... mainly because of mages often acting irritated to the requests (in my experience).

Playing a mage myself AND enjoying RP, my play has never been influenced by my ability to throw down a portal... or not.

If i could make the choice i'd go for the multi purpose hearthstone and do away with all the other stuff.

Town portal scrolls would be a nice second choice.

There's a lot of solutions for this in other MMO's ive played ... many of them a lot more elegant and fitting than the weird clutter of transports in WoW.
26/12/2015 21:20Posted by Gudren
There's a lot of solutions for this in other MMO's ive played ... many of them a lot more elegant and fitting than the weird clutter of transports in WoW.

Exactly. Not understandable why they did not adapt a better transportation system in over 10 years, except for that it's still a great timesink in a subscription based game.

@Kretias Ok, can you please tell me just one thing about how your gameplay will negatively be affected if OP's suggestion went live?

For example you can start with:

"People will be able to teleport to main cities with the help of portal scrolls whenever and wherever they want (cooldowns still apply), so I will not be able to ..."

Really, I just want to know how your gameplay will be negatively affected. I am asking just to figure out if it will affect you as a player negatively or you are showing opposition just for the sake of it, because I don't know why, you don't like the idea.
And that would make all portals in shrine useless then.

No thank you very much, alternative simply do what @Solicia said.
26/12/2015 22:08Posted by Izzyfurious
And that would make all portals in shrine useless then.

I don't think people will always be carrying that portal scrolls, there is also those who don't like the portal scrolls as it is obvious from the comments above, which will continue to use the portals in shrine or other places, so no they won't become useless at all.

EDIT: Or did you say that since everyone will be freely teleporting to the main cities with their portal scrolls, the portals in Shrine will become useless and that's umm... a bad thing?
26/12/2015 22:02Posted by Eom
@Kretias Ok, can you please tell me just one thing about how your gameplay will negatively be affected if OP's suggestion went live?

26/12/2015 19:13Posted by Poly
Can't really understand why anyone wouldn't want to have this ability to travel quickly in the game.

I'm sure anyone would love to have such a convenience.
But convenience changes doesn't always make a better game.

Look at leveling.
It's very convenient that it doesn't take long these days to reach max level.
But at what cost? There's no challenge in leveling anymore. You steamroll through it all the way to the current expansion. You outlevel zones not even halfway through.
Even without Heirlooms and rested experience.

Bottom line: Convenience changes might be great for a certain situations, but they can affect the entire game.

26/12/2015 19:04Posted by Kretias
The WoW community is already lazy enough. No reason to support that kind of behavior. Especially for parts where it isnt needed one bit.
I'm on an old PC and Shrine is no option for me because its a lag fest.

No offense here, but I play on a dell inspiron n5040 (5 year old laptop) with intel integrated graphics (potato graphics card and likely below the min req) and African internet (200ms is low for me and most Draenor areas sit at around 14fps... Sad yes, but not "un-playable") and I have never had any issue with shrine at all. At the very most it may take an extra second for my shammy to realise its supposed to be in ghostwolf form.

Besides that, having to port to an older expansion in order to get to one of the main cities is sloppy work, (for an RPG) to say the least.

Yes, the old content is being used... but its being used to get to even older content. Portals to the "major cities" are available in draenor (ashran cities). The only ones that arent are dalaran and shattrath which u should really only be visiting to do old content, so i dont see why its an issue having the fastest way to old content be within old content. It's not like there's a draenor portal in the shrine... If u dont want to do old content u can avoid shrine (and those 2 cities) completely.

If mages have no problem with the Shrine system then why would they have problems with portal scrolls??? Personally i haven't even EVER asked a mage for a port... mainly because of mages often acting irritated to the requests (in my experience).

Because the shrine system doesn't give everyone teleport... Thats a mage specific thing... Its pretty much the only useful unique thing about being a mage. I dont know what mages u have been asking but I have never had anyone be "irritated" with me asking for a portal, as long as I am polite about it. Same goes for when people ask me to log my mage for a portal... As long as u don't demand one as if playing a mage means that I have to play portal slave on command I'm always happy to oblige.

Can I offer a further solution for u though, since u are averse to the shrine, the 100s of other ways don't suit you and u dont want to ask. What we used to do in cata when there were no portals at all: Since u have said u have a mage... Get a friend (doesnt have to be a mage) get them to invite ur mage to a group, make port on mage... relog, get them to invite the character that wants a port and use ur mage's portal. Used to work pretty easily back then and unless they've made a change since it should work now. May even be able to ignore the whole needing another person bit if u do the group finder with ur alt and auto-accept (not sure if that still works... but it used to).

That said, I genuinely havent had to use that option since mists hit... It's become stupidly easy to get anywhere... Shrine even offers a barrens portal for alliance so there's not even a reason to ask for mage portals to get to onyxia for mount runs anymore. One of the scroll of reccalls comments on wowhead lists about 60 different items in game that can be used for teleporting to various different areas, only 3 of which share cds with the hs... Is that not enough?

26/12/2015 22:02Posted by Eom
Really, I just want to know how your gameplay will be negatively affected.

It's a class identity issue. If you play a mage the whole being able to teleport is kind of what makes them special and unique... Give everyone thier own personal teleports (be it on cd or not) and what makes the class special? Look at it in terms of druids since thier uniqueness is a little more obvious: Would it not kill the unique-ness a little if every other class was given a scroll which let them have flight form (regardless of the cd).