Legacy servers, OP 5 years later!

General
Prev 1 2 3 419 Next
Why didn't Vanera lock this thing?

We regularly see requests for us to open classic pre-TBC realms, or vanilla realms if you prefer, and lately we have also seen requests for pre-WotLK realms and even pre-Cataclysm realms. We have answered requests like these before saying that we have no plans to open such realms, and this is very much still the case today.

We realize that some of you feel that World of Warcraft was more fun in the past than it is today, and we also know that some of you would like nothing more than to go back and play the game as it was back then. The developers however prefer to see the game continuously evolve and progress, and as such we have no plans to open classic realms or limited expansion content realms.

Good to see that you keep the customer wishes in mind....not.

At least be honost and say that you want to sell more expansions and dont want new players to find out what a great game this once was.

At least be honost and say that you want to sell more expansions and dont want new players to find out what a great game this once was.

http://www.wow-europe.com/en/info/items/tinfoilhat.xml

We regularly see requests for us to open classic pre-TBC realms, or vanilla realms if you prefer, and lately we have also seen requests for pre-WotLK realms and even pre-Cataclysm realms. We have answered requests like these before saying that we have no plans to open such realms, and this is very much still the case today.

We realize that some of you feel that World of Warcraft was more fun in the past than it is today, and we also know that some of you would like nothing more than to go back and play the game as it was back then. The developers however prefer to see the game continuously evolve and progress, and as such we have no plans to open classic realms or limited expansion content realms.

That's the 2nd time today I don't have enough hands for the amount of /facepalm needed
I think it has a lot to do with players not *actually* wanting to play vanilla servers.
They believe they do, but they actually miss the feeling of playing something that felt new.

Expansions feels like "more of the same". New instances are refreshing for roughly 2 runs. As such, they don't quite satisfy the feeling of being new.

However, a vanilla realm today would feel downright old.

People have fond memories of their early days. That doesn't mean reliving them with 6 years of experience won't be filled with the same issues you're hating on Cataclysm for.

40-people raids is the only thing that's been truly lost.

The players that quit before TBC, left while Vanilla was current. They're not gonna come back to play Vanilla.

This as well.

Also, Nostalgia is often false..

People seem to keep the good memories and forget the bad ones. Like when you remember this really old show on tv and how you laughed so much when you were younger, you see the show again and..it's not that funny as it used to be.
When you played this really old game when you were younger and had an awesome time playing it, you get it now for nostalgia reasons and likely you end up putting it aside after 30 minutes.

When TBC was live there was so much whining on the forums about the grinding, how bad the expansion was, etc etc.
Now, people often claim it as the best Expansion ever and want TBC servers.

The people requesting a vanilla or pre-TBC realm are a small fraction of the entire player base.
Blizzard is a profit driven organisation and while many of its employees are incredibly passionate about what they do the amount of manpower required to recreate a whole new game to please the masses of vanilla lovers just isnt worth it.
If they do go ahead and do that then why stop there? Why not make pre-wrath realms and then pre-cata realms? All these realms will require seperate departments to run them and will not be healthy for the organisation as a whole.

Duroz summed it up pretty nicely in his post if you had bothered to read it.

I think it has a lot to do with players not *actually* wanting to play vanilla servers.
They believe they do, but they actually miss the feeling of playing something that felt new.

Expansions feels like "more of the same". New instances are refreshing for roughly 2 runs. As such, they don't quite satisfy the feeling of being new.

However, a vanilla realm today would feel downright old.

People have fond memories of their early days. That doesn't mean reliving them with 6 years of experience won't be filled with the same issues you're hating on Cataclysm for.

40-people raids is the only thing that's been truly lost.

The players that quit before TBC, left while Vanilla was current. They're not gonna come back to play Vanilla.

Get your head out of the clouds and move on.

I want Ford to make a care capable of 0-60 in 4seconds, that comfortably sleeps 6, does 100mpg, has zero emissions and can be recharged via the mains in 1 hr.

But they're simply not keeping my wishes as a customer in mind.
Vanilla realms are such a bad idea, it might sound nice if you played in vanilla to fantasize about getting such a realm but its all just nostalgia

The people you played with, by now they have likely quit, or come back and quit again, or shot themselves through not being able to quit. Those that are still around have either moved on and are playing the new content, or another game or god forbit they actually have a life and a family by now. Ergo you wont find 40 of your old mates that made vanilla what you remember it to be so at best you will be forming a guild of 40 people you havent played before

Most of those will be people just curious about vanilla having not played back then or people remembering it differently than it actually was and likely, they will quit it and go back to cataclysm realms

You would struggle to get a guild together and keep it together, most people that did level characters on a vanilla realm would likely have them just as alts keeping their mains at cataclysm realms where they have these things they call 'friends' that they currently play with

Not to mention that a vanilla realm would get zero support, because heck the game has moved on.. any issues or bugs you had back then are there to stay

In the cold hard light of day, its easy to see that this idea just would not work
23/02/2011 10:07 AMPosted by Vaneras
we also know that some of you would like nothing more than to go back and play the game as it was back then

Indeed

The developers however prefer to see the game continuously evolve and progress

We pay for the game,the developers do not,we pay them, hence we should get what we want.And as far as i know the developing team tries to please us,players,why wouldn't they want to make us happy by bringing up 1-2 realms of this kind?At least for the sake of not hearing "vanilla was better" anymore.

A
23/02/2011 11:53 AMPosted by Cardharry
We pay for the game,the developers do not,we pay them, hence we should get what we want.

Customer Is Always Right Syndrome.

Get over it, nobody forced you to buy the expansions and yet you did.

You dont pay the developers either, Blizzard does.
we also know that some of you would like nothing more than to go back and play the game as it was back then

Indeed

The developers however prefer to see the game continuously evolve and progress

We pay for the game,the developers do not,we pay them, hence we should get what we want.And as far as i know the developing team tries to please us,players,why wouldn't they want to make us happy by bringing up 1-2 realms of this kind?At least for the sake of not hearing "vanilla was better" anymore.

A

Because it's like DLC for Call of duty tractorware. Let me show you

Modern warfare 1 - Great and healthy community, competitive scene, no DLC
Modern warfare 2 - Broken and relentless community, whining everywhere and mass paranoia due to no dedicated servers. The exploit from Modern warfare 1 which lasted one month, and gave people the ability to show constant blips on map was relatively unnoticeable or pushed away by the mature part of the community in hopes of less people knowing about it, and for IW to fix it.

Then you have the DLC, while it might act as a fun experiment it often fails when it tries to stand on it's own legs. MW1 maps were converted for MW2 if i recall and rather than satisfy the masses it actually made them more boring. DLC also splits the community (Just like a vanilla server would) since people with DLC would play DLC, and those without would play the regular.

Now just imagine if you had PreTBC-PreWOTLK-PreCATA servers. That's 4 different communities, 4 times the amount of work for employees, ridiculous demand from a customer and downright nonprofitable for them in any way.
I think I probably have had the most fun in WoW back in TBC, when a group of friends and I were running Karazhan, Zul Aman and heroics together. I remember that being a fantastic summer and the raids having a really good vibe.

But I don’t want a TBC server.

Why?

Because as good as those times were, I can’t get them back again. Some of my friends have stopped playing WoW and are enjoying other games. They have no intention of coming back to the game. My personal circumstances are different to what they were back in TBC and I’m no longer spending my free time in the same ways. Life moves on and often attempts to try and relive a time in the past that were particularly good, end in disappointment.

Nostalgia is a dangerously alluring thing and unless you can recreate all the circumstances of good times in the past, you’re likely to find that things do not live up to how you remember them.

At the same time expressing the well intentioned sentiment “I wish new players could experience Vanilla/TBC as I remember it” etc etc, is also hopelessly unrealistic, partly because that experience is dependant on your memories and circumstances at the time. You can’t squeeze another person into those, it simply isn’t possible and even if you were able to engineer someone else’s life to match your own at the time TBC was out, there is no guarantee you’d get the same results.

Blizzard know this as well as I do, as well as anyone does. Creating Vanilla/TBC/Wotlk only servers is a huge financial gamble and aside from the technical difficulties, there is the reality that players are unlikely to find something as good a second time around, because of nostalgia.

When you’re thinking back to why you enjoyed Vanilla/TBC/Wotlk so much, think carefully about what was different in your life as to how it is now, because that will effect you feelings about the game. My life has changed dramatically over the past few years, which has certainly greatly effected how I view the game. My happy memories of TBC are of long, lazy, summer nights relaxing with friends and clearing raid content. I can’t get that experience back now, partly because it is winter.

This is one of the reasons why there won't be classic servers. The other reasons include the fact that people will get bored of stagnant content once they've completed it once. You do vanilla content through to Naxx and then what? Endlessly re-run it with alts? You don't honestly expect Blizz to give new content do you! Do you honestly thing the community would be big enough to maintain multiple 40man raid groups? We all remember the drama of the raid communities back in the 40man days, the rampant poaching that went on, the raid alliances that came together, fell apart, the recriminations etc etc. Will there be enough of a non-raid community to draw upon to supply resources for raiding?

What the vanilla community wants, they can’t have. Not just because Blizzard don’t want to supply it, but because it can’t be recreated.
But no, Blizzard have already said no to it. - They want the game to keep moving forward and so on.

This is correct.

Since the old forums are no longer available, I will re-post one of the comments we posted on this topic in the past:

We are aware of the fact that some people prefer the old pre-expansion content over the newer content that has been added to the game with the last two expansions, but despite this we still have no plans for opening any classic realms at this point in time.

We also understand that some people would like to revel in nostalgia; however the developers are planning to keep the game moving forward as they want the game to continue to progress and evolve.

Thank you very much for your post Vaneras and your views on how the developers see things vis-a-vis the player base, who are your clients
23/02/2011 12:00 PMPosted by Jhuna

That statement would be fine if the content in Classic WoW stayed as is but, it didn't matter if you did buy the expansions or did not as the content was changed regardless. Those changes were forced onto people with versions of the game lower than the current and who didn't want to upgrade and also, over time, have seen their content being slowly destroyed and removed from the game.

Tbh the majority of the people I've seen requesting/wanting/demanding pre wrath, pre cata and vanilla servers are people who dumped oodles of gold onto now outdated and outplayed twinks. These people were also usually all in Alterac Valley, crying that Deathknights ruin the game. Paladins ruin the game. Hunters ruin the game, anything that is not in their little bubble of perfection, ruins the game.

I can understand the urge to play something oldschool. It's why I still dabble in Oldschool pokermanz [pokemon] of RBY or GSC days, to the newer games. But with WoW? Why would anyone desire to be forced to play old content, old quests and old talents? You'd be stuck doing out dated quests, in out dated quest style. The player base also wouldn't be big. Oh yeah there'd be the novelty of it all but it'd wear off. And where would that leave Blizzard? With servers draining money and time and resources that could otherwise be used to further benefit the majority of the WoW population instead of a few hundred that want to play it oldskool.

Also I have to agree. People won't come back en mass to play old school wow. If they quit before TBC came out, and they've not returned since, they aren't going to return for an old school realm, as why would or should anyone spend money to play out dated and old content? Hell the models for the vanilla races haven't even been updated yet really.
We pay for the game,the developers do not,we pay them, hence we should get what we want
So Blizzard should make a different game for every player. Good think.
23/02/2011 12:24 PMPosted by Divinebovine

That statement would be fine if the content in Classic WoW stayed as is but, it didn't matter if you did buy the expansions or did not as the content was changed regardless. Those changes were forced onto people with versions of the game lower than the current and who didn't want to upgrade and also, over time, have seen their content being slowly destroyed and removed from the game.

While I agree with you to some extent my earlier post still stands.

True, old content has been revamped and updated and is no longer the 'good old' warcraft but, as I have said before, nobody is forcing anyone to pay for the expansions or for a subscription month on month.

If you are so unhappy with the state of the current game why on earth would you continue to plug money into it?

No they didn't force me but they surely wanted me to do it.

You dont pay the developers either, Blizzard does.

From whose money?

PS: do not bother to reply again i do not care what you think.

No they didn't force me but they surely wanted me to do it.

And it was your decision to continue paying. Stop complaining when your continued support for new content contradicts your arguments.

From whose money?

PS: do not bother to reply again i do not care what you think.

The only reason you dont care what I think is because I disagree with you, sorry but the real world doesnt work like that.

You dont personally pay the devs, so stop pretending your perception of the game is the only correct one.