Legacy servers, OP 5 years later!

General
Prev 1 94 95 96 419 Next
14/01/2016 09:40Posted by Wellardtard
13/01/2016 13:52Posted by Garelthas
If people flog this dead horse any further, then it's corpse is going to crumble into dust.

Are you talking about this topic or the game in general? :P

Probably about topic. Ghostcrawler said that players wanted vanilla servers since tbc, and no matter how many times they told that there will be no legacy servers, people still write their wish on the forums every week. It's impossible. So threads like this will never die. People will continue to flog dust that once was a horse, and we will continue to build the walls of no around these places.
14/01/2016 09:51Posted by Tindella
and we will continue to build the walls of no around these places.

I love the way you try to make it sound like you are being constructive. As i have said before, if you don't want to play it, you don't have to. "the walls of no" are only stopping others from getting any enjoyment from the game and losing subs.
14/01/2016 11:05Posted by Wellardtard
14/01/2016 09:51Posted by Tindella
and we will continue to build the walls of no around these places.

I love the way you try to make it sound like you are being constructive. As i have said before, if you don't want to play it, you don't have to. "the walls of no" are only stopping others from getting any enjoyment from the game and losing subs.

I was not intending to sound constructive, I am saying how situation will be on the forums, what are you about even?

Dude, I want to play it, and I want harder servers etc. All I said is that this threads come up every week and every week community will post the wall of no. Simple as that.
The fact that this 5 year old topic still hasn't died out should be enough evidence that Blizz needs to suck up their pride and open up a few vanilla servers for those who keep asking for it. How would it hurt Blizzard in any way? If anything it could make them more popular considering so many people are asking for it.

But let's make one thing clear. I don't really care either way. I just want the whiners to ess tee eff you. Heck, that might end up becoming Blizzard's reasoning for making classic servers...
As much as I'll love to have them, It seems impossible.

What Blizzard could do, is to take some of the better elements from Vanilla times and implant them in new forms in future updates.
14/01/2016 11:45Posted by Rinir
The fact that this 5 year old topic still hasn't died out should be enough evidence that Blizz needs to suck up their pride and open up a few vanilla servers for those who keep asking for it. How would it hurt Blizzard in any way?

The millions it would cost to open and maintain them for one. Just because a few loud-mouths on the forums keep this topic alive, in no way, shape or form means enough players want these types of realms.

Blizzard have consistently said there is not enough support for them and they don't want to maintain two separate copies of the same game. It is not going to happen.

14/01/2016 11:05Posted by Wellardtard
are only stopping others from getting any enjoyment from the game and losing subs.

Stopping a tiny minority from taking away resources from the vast majority you mean.
TBH i would play the hell out of classic servers.

But as i tried to mention earlier... Old Azeroth could (easily?) be re-created in CoT-like instances. Thus sparing the costs of dedicated servers.

I for one would pay for a tack-on expansion sold in the store for example.

If enough supported it would pay for itself and be a personal choice.

Edit : Tyop... topy.... TYPO!
14/01/2016 13:54Posted by Gudren
But as i tried to mention earlier... Old Azeroth could (easily?) be re-created in CoT-like instances. Thus sparing the costs of dedicated servers.

The server itself is a tiny part of the cost. The main money will be spent in getting that code to a state where it is usable and can be implemented. As it says in the Wall of No. This will cost millions and wouldn't be far different from creating a new expansion. Somehow I doubt most players would be willing to wait 4 years for a new expac because Blizz decided to work on a classic realm.
14/01/2016 14:00Posted by Keg
14/01/2016 13:54Posted by Gudren

The server itself is a tiny part of the cost. The main money will be spent in getting that code to a state where it is usable and can be implemented. As it says in the Wall of No. This will cost millions and wouldn't be far different from creating a new expansion. Somehow I doubt most players would be willing to wait 4 years for a new expac because Blizz decided to work on a classic realm.

There's no getting around it the way you put it and i realise that old Azeroth is probably gone and irretreavable.

Still, old Azeroth is always close to my gamers heart and its hard not to get excited when the topic flares up every now and then.

But... i can always rely on Keg the Buzzkill to step in and remind me of the Wall of No (just kidding :P )
14/01/2016 14:11Posted by Gudren
But... i can always rely on Keg the Buzzkill to step in and remind me of the Wall of No (just kidding :P )

:D
Of course the number of people playing effects progression. When enough people stop playing, there will be no more progression because the subs will not support the cost of progression. Then more subs will be lost and eventually will not support the cost of maintenance and the game will die.

Perhaps. But certainly not with the current numbers.

History shows a sub-based MMO can be sustainable for decades with under 1M subscribers. So no, for progression it doesn't really matter much if 1M, 5M or 10M people are regular subscribers or not.

13/01/2016 11:17Posted by Wellardtard
Some of the private realms being full suggest there is a large market for it.

And by full, we're really talking about what... 3k players? 5k players? If that many.

So you're arguing wow is not progressing because it doesn't have enough subs, and therefore the solution is to spend a lot of development time and money on bringing on board a few thousand players?
I definitely think Blizzard should set up Vanilla realms. Why? Because the classic belongs in the Smithonian, it's integral part of mmo history. But with that same argument it also belongs to be played on a live server, how else. That's the only way mmo art can be experienced. People should be able to experience the hole arc of life of World of Warcraft.

Servers where the timeline goes classic, tbc, wotlk, cata, panda, wod instead of cata, tbc, wotlk, cata, panda, wod should truly be set up and those servers should progress normally with new ex-packs like any other server.

Blizzard should really take responsibility of this.
14/01/2016 13:45Posted by Keg
Stopping a tiny minority from taking away resources from the vast majority you mean.

They have been doing that for Raiding and Rated 3v3 for ages so quite frankly it is obvious they are okay with that.

Blizzard have consistently said there is not enough support for them

And they can measure that...how exactly?

It's a fact that far more people have stopped playing the game than there are playing the game, despite e.g. the game 'getting better and better at giving players what they want from the game'.

14/01/2016 14:00Posted by Keg

With its income, Blizzard is in the position to piss away millions without getting wet, Titan being an example.

Considering that by now it is clear that 'an Expansion' basically amounts to an ever-decreasing amount of Launch content, an ever-decreasing amount of Patch content spread out over a year, and then another year or so of Blizz basically twiddling with its thumbs (to go by the state said Launch content is at Launch, especially balance wise) - and subscribers being mostly fine (enough) with this development cycle (to the amazement of MMO commentaries, true), I think your statement is a bit brazen.

The more because because said work could (and would) be done by a seperate team, and during another so-called expansion.

While it may sound romantic - 'Legacy Realms would hold back development of new over-hyped content! Fie!' - the truth of the matter is that holding back the inevitable Legacy Realms (just look at other franchises of any measurable size, Nostalgia Realms willhappen) will not make Blizz spend a dime of more effort on the current game or on the New Hopium That Will Fix All Woes than it currently does.

But as said before, there is no point in bringing in rational arguments as the main and essentially only reason Blizard doesn't currently do Nostalgia Realms is that it goes against its current corporate culture.

To Blizz, the new is always ipso facto better than the old, and the idea is to hype the bejeevus out of the new (which on a game level is done by making the present and old increasingly meaningless compared to the new) to cover-up any and all flaws people point out in advance. Take their money and run, in a sense.
yes they can afford 1 legacy classic server ! its like simcity4 i played since its realise 2003 or earlier? i still play it over and over loves it- got some mods i liked. i have done the samething since it got out and still do today ! so classic why not?? Steal the game copy data from the private server out there and voila you got classic back, i mean they have it and blizz is blizz make it happen
14/01/2016 11:35Posted by Tindella
and every week community will post the wall of no. Simple as that.

The wall of "no because just no". And it's not the community, but just a part of the community.
Tom Chilton (Game Director for World of Warcraft) answered a question about classic servers during the BlizzCon 2015 World of Warcraft Q&A.

While we realise there is a desire for servers running previous versions of the game, we do not have any plans to setup classic servers. The old code is designed to run on the old hardware. The old code brings with it the old data, which includes the old bugs. The natural expectation from players would be that we would fix these bugs to ensure a smooth gameplay experience (along with the need for Customer Support and other dedicated support teams for such realms).

We feel it is not feasible to support multiple versions of World of Warcraft concurrently, and instead believe that our resources would be better placed continuing to build upon the current live game.
Vanilla was fun... 11 years ago. It would not work now. Most people would quite within a week because of the lack of balance, slow pace and very grindy nature of vanilla.

Just would not be worth it and you can bet your !@# that Blizzard has done the claculations and come to that very conclusion.
If there is anything Blizzard is good at, it's making money.
Yeah, vanilla was great. 1 viable spec per class and all. While vanilla was good at it's time, it'd be outdated as !@#$ by now. People would demand new(er) features because they've gotten used to being lazy. And Blizzard wouldn't deliver them because it's not worth it. People would rage again, return to the newest version and the vanilla realm would die.
15/01/2016 12:02Posted by Aerythlea
Tom Chilton (Game Director for World of Warcraft) answered a question about classic servers during the BlizzCon 2015 World of Warcraft Q&A.

While we realise there is a desire for servers running previous versions of the game, we do not have any plans to setup classic servers. The old code is designed to run on the old hardware. The old code brings with it the old data, which includes the old bugs. The natural expectation from players would be that we would fix these bugs to ensure a smooth gameplay experience (along with the need for Customer Support and other dedicated support teams for such realms).

We feel it is not feasible to support multiple versions of World of Warcraft concurrently, and instead believe that our resources would be better placed continuing to build upon the current live game.

Time for Keg to update his "Wall of No" http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/17223934218#9

Keg pls. :)
"We want the game to keep moving forward"

"But of course that won't stop us from giving you non-content in the form of timewalking dungeons which are a travesty in terms of gameplay and immersion instead of releasing something new for players to grind"

"$$$$$"