Subscription in 2016?

General
I just want to hear your guys opinion about this, We are still paying to play this game, I dont know any game besides wow that makes you do that. I always wonder why blizzard needs this money . Is it for servers?
I can imagine server technology being some what tricky and hard to handle with wows big world back in 2004 when the game was first released but now in 2016. We come along way since then.

I think if blizzard removes the subscription more players will probably buy the game and play, And many players will buy mounts and such things in the in gameshop so blizzard can make money that way. When I recommend wow to my friends the first thing they ask is "Dont you need to pay for playing wow?" and I say yes, and It is really hard to defend in an argument that is worth paying for playing wow. And now with so little to do in endgame it is especially hard

I want to hear your opinion about paying subscription. Thanks!

Sry for bad english
05/03/2016 16:16Posted by Kungstrupp
I dont know any game besides wow that makes you do that

EVE online, Final Fantasy XIV, some smaller online games (e.g. A Tale in the Desert) have a monthly subscription..can't think of others right now, but there are lots of MMOs out there. I know others dropped the subscription but instead they have other payment stuff, be it cosmetic or not (like the newest Star Wars MMO, if you don't pay you're locked out of many things).

Games that don't have a subscription need to feed their income in other ways (server maintenance, staff and electricity aren't free), and it's not always ideal. Personally I prefer a subscription model rather than F2P models as most I've seen aren't great or give a large advantage to people that do pay, but to each their own.

Edit: they'll likely move your thread out of CS though, since this isn't a support thing.
Guild Wars 2 is by far the best alternative to WoW and its free to play but as Nyshae said it does have other things to pay for but its not required to play the game (other than buying the game itself) but I do agree that its about time Blizzard either puts WoW free to play or actually makes a WoW 2 as this game looks very, very dated and imo they are running out of ideas
There are still millions of players more in this MMO than others - I think they're OK. Games which have no subscription tend to go very "Pay to win" in order to make money to actually run the game, and it tends to actually end up costing you more over all - or you have to put up with inconveniences like slower progression.

Nothing in life is free :)
I really feel like you "MVPS" are defending Blizzard here. Everyone I talk to are always pissed because of the subscription. I have plenty of friends that have quit just because of the subscription including myself.

Those millions who still play is decreasing month by month cause of the lacking in content. If Blizzard pulled the plug and removed the subscription there will be A LOT of people who are willing to start playing again witch also will bring people to the wowshop in game they will buy stuff from there not to mention people will probably also buy legion. If blizzard updated the shop more with cosmetics and other services they will get more money that way Just look at the most popular games right now: Dota2, League of Legends, Counter Strike they all afford themselves through in game shops with cosmetics. I think blizzard will get more money if they had a similar system. It has become very obvious that money is blizzards biggest priority. I dont think that blizzard have bad economy with Hearthstone and all.

Cant you agree that it makes no sense to pay monthly for a MMO that wont have any new content in almost a year?

Sry for bad english
If you're going to start using personal attacks with "you're just defending Blizzard here" I'm not sure there's any point in attempting to have a discussion :/ I mentioned other games (one of which I play currently) that use a subscription since you said you didn't know of any others that use a subscription.

05/03/2016 21:49Posted by Kungstrupp
Cant you agree that it makes no sense to pay monthly for a MMO that wont have any new content in almost a year?

I haven't subscribed to WoW for a while as I'm not interested in playing right now for a variety of reasons, I'll play in Legion again. I also haven't really bothered with the mount/pet shop (I have some of the pets, but they were gifts, never bought any myself) and I think the prices for character services are too high so I avoid them as much as I can. There's also a system to pay with ingame gold these days, although there's way more people paying with gold in EU than in US, it seems.

But, no, I generally dislike F2P games because the MMOs that I've tried that used it didn't have systems I liked. It's got nothing to do with defending anyone, it's my opinion.. Just cause someone disagrees with you or has a different opinion it doesn't automatically mean they're 'defending' anything.
I feel WoW is too aimed at raiding these days and as someone who is no longer a semi-hardcore raider there's no point in playing the whole year round, subscription or not, but your comment was regarding the subscription model.
I don't mind paying a monthly subscription as it is a valid business model for a game like this. What I do mind is that next to the monthly subscription you also have to buy every expansion as a seperate game with the retailing price of a standalone game. On top of that the game has a shop where you can buy mounts, pets and other cool stuff so if you want any of those things you have to pay and the prices are quite excessive, up to €20 for a mount is just insane. Next to that the in game services are also excessively priced and most of them are just normal things offered to you by any other game for free as part of the game, like changing your name or character appearance.

It feels like Blizzard just want to squeeze every penny out of you in any way they can. You have to pay excessive prices to do just about anything in the game and if you don't mind paying alot of money you can progress insanely fast like just buying a lev100 boost or buying 70k of gold per wow token purchased.

Usually games run with either the model that you need to pay a subscription and for the rest everything in the game is free and players can't really progress or get special items by paying money for it. Or they run with the model that the base game is for free but you can buy some additional content like in game boosts to progress faster, cosmetical items, which you usually end up doing if you play the game often. I don't mind either of those models but it should be one or the other, Blizzard is using both and the pricing they use is quite excessive if you compare it to other games in the market.
06/03/2016 00:39Posted by Felkrir
On top of that the game has a shop where you can buy mounts, pets and other cool stuff so if you want any of those things you have to pay and the prices are quite excessive, up to €20 for a mount is just insane.

Honestly I'd be happy if I didn't see a new mount or pet in the store ever again, the prices make me not want to bother :p The game I'm currently playing also has a shop with some ingame stuff but large parts of it is from old seasonal events that are no longer available. Despite the subscription itself being slightly cheaper than WoW's I'm very unlikely to buy off their cash shop either.
05/03/2016 21:49Posted by Kungstrupp
Just look at the most popular games right now: Dota2, League of Legends, Counter Strike they all afford themselves through in game shops with cosmetics

None of these games is a MMORPG with a persistent world
paying a subscription to use something SHOULD be dying out....

Sadly, the "AAA" companies are trying to push them on stuff outside of MMOs recently with paying a monthly subscription to play Solitaire without adds on windows 10 (yes really), and when EA did a yearly subscription for bloody Tetris and other examples of them really screwing up the basics of games.

So should it be removed? Yes. Will it be? Nope. At least not until it "dies" to the point where it becomes free-to-play and they move on to making another MMO instead. Since when the game does eventually "die" it will likely still have servers running but no new content so they couldn't charge from that point on and expect people to pay.
Have to say I don't know of a subs game that has gone F2P and done it well. Rift, SW:TOR, Wildstar - they all tried and all of them got considerably less fun for doing it. Nagware, a horrible player base, all the decent armour models going to the store, severe limits on running dungeons/PVP, being asked to pay for action bars - all sorts of issues came up. I quit all three after they went F2P and only now and then dip back in (and usually dip back out in a short amount of time).

Even GW2 has the issues that you end up paying for gold to avoid insane grinds, and that there are very limited armour models out there - although its F2P model is one of the best I have tried.

Nah, F2P is a horrible model to try to adopt. It is a struggle to make it work for games it is built into, trying to add it onto subs games later just doesn't seem to work.
06/03/2016 00:39Posted by Felkrir
I don't mind paying a monthly subscription as it is a valid business model for a game like this. What I do mind is that next to the monthly subscription you also have to buy every expansion as a seperate game with the retailing price of a standalone game.

I think by having a subscription we do get to see some very nicely coded and designed content (WOD aside, god only knows who let the temps in). I also think that the subscription model keeps out a LOT OF toxic and childish players. Yes we have our fair share of those already, but in comparison to like LOL (I am told) ours is actually quiet minimal.

I do however share Felkrir's view that a monthly subscription and then paying £35-£50 PER expansion can feel a bit excessive. I understand the reason for the charge, and its mainly because people sub and unsub all the time so income fluctuates, but I do think blizz could look at a means of truly rewarding loyal players (like now, those of us subing and pre ordering legion during a content drought) by perhaps reducing the cost of the expac by 80% or so if you remain subbed until launch.

As for the shop, character services are a bit excessive, especially if you consider many of us have more than 1 character and there is no discount for 5+ or 10+ characters. The pets and mounts.... yes it feels like it impacts the in game design of mounts and armor some times. It shouldnt.
Maybe sell old unobtainable skins (like MOP challenge mode gear) as a recolour in the shop? Same for mounts, recolour so those who worked for it still stand out ? This way the effort goes into the game and its content, but you also have a model for generating extra income from the store for minimal effort.
F2p and b2p all go p2w at the end of the day.They all have very expensive shops.For example a mount can easily reach 40 euros.They also sell everything in their shop.You want to change spec?Spend money.You want a better weapon?You have it but you need to enchant it to max lvl.You want better chances for this?Go to shop and buy the item that gives you 100% success etc.You need to spend more than a monthly sub in wow if you want to have fun in these games.Why do you think that the 3 most popular mmorpgs atm have sub?Because all f2p and b2p are trash.Noone stays for more than a few months.
The subscription is fine, when there is a steady stream of content.

We get 1 piece of content a year at this point.
I think a subscription in legion is fine, but I think we should be questioning why we have it right now.
The monthly subs are fine to me, but I firmly resent and refuse to pay for additional cosmetic stuff (pets/mounts).

I think the cost of each expansion is ridiculous when you consider the rest of the game content becomes virtually redundant after each upgrade.
Last time i played LotRO they had a combination of F2P (+ingame mechanisme to grind shop currenty) P2P and a nice huge shop with anything from playtime to gear and expansions. No pay to win as the gear sold is also ingame from crafting or rewards/drops (its value is mostly cosmetic).

Best combo ever... you can choose what you want, whenever you want and spend all or nothing.

Too bad my PC can't handle it anymore : /
The day that WoW becomes F2P im out.

That game won't last as f2p, most players will leave because the game will turn into p2w, and i dislike with passion such games.

And yes, it worths having a subscription because you have access to all content, else you wouldn't. They would be most if not all locked behind barriers of some sort.

Subscription also gives blizzard enough resources for new content, if it goes f2p, you get less content and you will have to wait waaaay longer, plus the new content will also be locked behind a barrier if you don't use your wallet.
Just wait until they make this F2P and you have to pay £2 every portal you take or you can no longer get tier sets from bosses they cost £39.99 from the store. Then you will all realise how pathetic £10 a month is.
I'd rather pay my sub that have restrictions like 5 characters on account and such.