Can we please, for one expansion....

General
Prev 1 4 5 6 8 Next
14/04/2016 15:26Posted by Forcemyway
Anyway it's time for me to leave this thread, it's gotten too heated and I seem to be arguing with people who don't have a grasp on basic game design and why an mmorpg is different from an rpg which is really sad and frustrating and I can't bear to look at it anymore.

It's really frustrating that MMO is the most wrongly used and basically abused word on these forums. The only real difference between and MMORPG and an RPG is the persistent world, which means the world is still there even when you are logged off. In addition, MMO enable the simultaneous existence of large numbers of player characters and interaction among them.

I would suggest you do some research before supporting something which is obviously your opinion but not necessarily a fact.
14/04/2016 18:11Posted by Itzamna
Neither i said we were...

The original post talks about wanting to be a nameless adventurer instead of 'the chosen one'. All of my posts have been in reference to that.

14/04/2016 18:11Posted by Itzamna
but it was the players that fought him in the end (alongside Tirion yes, but the rest of the army remained back)... Same as AQ and every instance. There is always an war effort, but in the end its the heroes (aka us) that do the heavy lifting.

Yes, because as a game it would be exceptionally boring if we watched an NPC do everything. Storywise, they did the heavy lifting, gameplaywise we do it, because it'd be a pretty rubbish game if not.
14/04/2016 18:17Posted by Lumeny
14/04/2016 15:26Posted by Forcemyway
Anyway it's time for me to leave this thread, it's gotten too heated and I seem to be arguing with people who don't have a grasp on basic game design and why an mmorpg is different from an rpg which is really sad and frustrating and I can't bear to look at it anymore.

It's really frustrating that MMO is the most wrongly used and basically abused word on these forums. The only real difference between and MMORPG and an RPG is the persistent world, which means the world is still there even when you are logged off. In addition, MMO enable the simultaneous existence of large numbers of player characters and interaction among them.

I would suggest you do some research before supporting something which is obviously your opinion but not necessarily a fact.

This is only useless semantics.
I am not arguing in semantics.
Yes, "technically" the only difference is that as you said, MMOs go on even when you're offline, because other people play them.
The question is: how does this affect game design? How does an RPG adapt to being played by thousands of people simultaneously?
Not like this.
Ikr, i'm just a stupid troll who plods around not really knowing what's going on. Why do these npc's salute and say 'Hello, Commander!' to me? I would rather be a nobody who lives the fantasy life.
14/04/2016 12:41Posted by Deepsheep

Tired of being "the chosen one", it poorly fits into an MMORPG anyways.

It is totally contradictory that we are supposed to feel like special snowflakes and even have guards bow down to us when there are people all over the place swinging their shiny Ashbringers and experiencing THE EXACT SAME THING. I can't help but cringe every time I see that text bubble over NPC's head praising me like I am the best thing that happened to Azeroth... and then again and again whenever I log on to any of my alts.

Because we are the best thing that happened to Azeroth.

""You there, mighty warrior who has saved Azeroth from Deathwing, The Lich King, Old Gods and the Burning Legion, go fetch me some goat poo!"" - Miylee
14/04/2016 15:04Posted by Jito
14/04/2016 14:57Posted by Forcemyway
Because just the fact that she has fought certain enemies and been present during certain events doesn't make her a character.

Yes, it does.

One of those brave heroes who helped Tirion defeat the Lich King is your character. That makes your character part of the story and lore of the universe. Blizzard of course go about it in a smart way, just referring to you as a brave hero or a commander or whatever. But it's your character that's being implied (and when I read it, then it's my character).

what about my characters that never killed the Lich King, never defeated Deathwing, why are they still referred to as the special one, the hero?
14/04/2016 19:46Posted by Lyrehs
14/04/2016 15:04Posted by Jito
Yes, it does.

One of those brave heroes who helped Tirion defeat the Lich King is your character. That makes your character part of the story and lore of the universe. Blizzard of course go about it in a smart way, just referring to you as a brave hero or a commander or whatever. But it's your character that's being implied (and when I read it, then it's my character).

what about my characters that never killed the Lich King, never defeated Deathwing, why are they still referred to as the special one, the hero?

It doesn't matter if you never killed the Lich King, Deathwing and others on one of your characters; you play as "The Adventurer", and "The Adventurer" still killed Lich King, Deathwing etc.
14/04/2016 19:49Posted by Tuor

It doesn't matter if you never killed the Lich King, Deathwing and others on one of your characters; you play as "The Adventurer", and "The Adventurer" still killed Lich King, Deathwing etc.

So lazy and forced to make everyone a special snowflake then. It's dull and extremely boring story telling.
14/04/2016 19:54Posted by Lyrehs
So lazy and forced to make everyone a special snowflake then. It's dull and extremely boring story telling.
Well wow is a old mmo. Swtor did differently. And Blizzard is trying to give each class a different story in Legion.
14/04/2016 12:57Posted by Hillfoot
The whole "Chosen One" thing works in SWTOR, not so much here.

The thing in SWTOR that makes this all work, is the questlines designed for every class and faction. The immersive story you get to build up around your own character from 1-65 is making it a good experience, and actually giving you "The chosen one" feeling, as well as letting you know you arent the only powerful one out there. Giving you a constant goal.

In wow.. This just fails. It's so horrible, it indeed is cringe worthy.

Sincerly. Sith Lord Noxxìa.
14/04/2016 19:49Posted by Tuor

I wish people would stop explaining stuff like this, everybody gets whats going on, and why its going on gameplay-wise, I just think that this whole concept is silly...
14/04/2016 13:30Posted by Deepsheep
Yes, the whole "story experience" is wrong, we shouldn't be active keylink in the storyline, we should be passive observers and nameless participants. I wouldn't even mind being a key character in the story as far as they make it HARD to complete. They are making it so my granny can pickup WoW and wield a Doomhammer, its just a nonsense joke.

As a GREAT grandmother, who has played since Vanilla I resent your rudeness about your elder - and sometimes - betters!
14/04/2016 13:17Posted by Zeville
Are you saying I'm not the chosen one? :'(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjeKjzn5Jvk
you have seen nothing yet. in the expansion after legion, wrath of the burning demon king, you will become the god of gods. everyone will bow at your feet and kiss your shoes. the enemy's will mail you loot along with a letter, begging you to spare them.

jokes aside, i sort of agree with op. what is next in line after ' chosen one ' anyway.
14/04/2016 17:47Posted by Demigon
but you not THE champion so I guess it's more of a compromise?

excuse me but weilding the freaking ashbringer seems more of a THE hero thing than commanding a garrison
its the most hilarious for rogues, the guys who kinda dont want to be seen need to put up with:

"HEY EVERYONE ITS THAT AMAZINGLY FAMOUS ROGUE, HEY GUYS LOOK HES RIGHT THERE, SEE?!"
I'm a hundred percent with you here. I want to be a nameless adventurer, working my way to glory through slightly better gear, only to be set back by a new issue.

I don't want to be the chosen one, or a hero, just like everyone else. That story is boring. I don't feel epic getting a unique weapon which everyone else has. It's no longer unique. I'm no longer unique. The whole idea is silly.
vote yes!!!!! please http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1977520-Should-Blizzard-release-Vanilla-servers?p=39823669
15/04/2016 04:12Posted by Marceder
vote yes!!!!! please http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1977520-Should-Blizzard-release-Vanilla-servers?p=39823669

Sorry m8, I played nostalrius server and didnt dig the whole "difficult" idea. First of, nothing in vanilla was difficult, mechanics-wise, everything just had huge healthpools and hit hard and took ages to complete, kudos to you guys who want vanilla back but I think I'll pass on this one, got no time to sink in that vanilla requires.

15/04/2016 01:23Posted by Stalima
its the most hilarious for rogues, the guys who kinda dont want to be seen need to put up with:

"HEY EVERYONE ITS THAT AMAZINGLY FAMOUS ROGUE, HEY GUYS LOOK HES RIGHT THERE, SEE?!"

Exactly, I chuckled.
15/04/2016 04:12Posted by Marceder

Thing with such polls is that only people who non stop complain will vote, while millions who enjoy WoW are not even aware of the existence of this forum, let alone mmo-champion. And then people will think "Look, 90% of the people want Vanilla server, Bliz0rd sux for not implementing them", which is wrong.

And Blizzard knows it. They know that for each player wanting Vanilla server, there are 10k who don't or simply don't think about it. So from business point of view, they are perfectly right for not implementing them.

I suspect that at one point, when this game will be 15 years old or something, they will eventually resort to Vanilla servers, but as of now, they don't see the need to do it.

Regards,
Imm