To the WoW Community -

General
1 2 3 218 Next
We wanted to let you know that we’ve been closely following the Nostalrius discussion and we appreciate your constructive thoughts and suggestions.

Our silence on this subject definitely doesn’t reflect our level of engagement and passion around this topic. We hear you. Many of us across Blizzard and the WoW Dev team have been passionate players ever since classic WoW. In fact, I personally work at Blizzard because of my love for classic WoW.

We have been discussing classic servers for years - it’s a topic every BlizzCon - and especially over the past few weeks. From active internal team discussions to after-hours meetings with leadership, this subject has been highly debated. Some of our current thoughts:

Why not just let Nostalrius continue the way it was? The honest answer is, failure to protect against intellectual property infringement would damage Blizzard’s rights. This applies to anything that uses WoW’s IP, including unofficial servers. And while we’ve looked into the possibility – there is not a clear legal path to protect Blizzard’s IP and grant an operating license to a pirate server.

We explored options for developing classic servers and none could be executed without great difficulty. If we could push a button and all of this would be created, we would. However, there are tremendous operational challenges to integrating classic servers, not to mention the ongoing support of multiple live versions for every aspect of WoW.

So what can we do to capture that nostalgia of when WoW first launched? Over the years we have talked about a “pristine realm”. In essence that would turn off all leveling acceleration including character transfers, heirloom gear, character boosts, Recruit-A-Friend bonuses, WoW Token, and access to cross realm zones, as well as group finder. We aren’t sure whether this version of a clean slate is something that would appeal to the community and it’s still an open topic of discussion.

One other note - we’ve recently been in contact with some of the folks who operated Nostalrius. They obviously care deeply about the game, and we look forward to more conversations with them in the coming weeks.

You, the Blizzard community, are the most dedicated, passionate players out there. We thank you for your constructive thoughts and suggestions. We are listening.

J. Allen Brack
Please don't waste any resources doing special servers. Legacy servers especially would get old really fast. People already complain about lack of updates, and legacy servers by their very nature would never get new content.
26/04/2016 07:23Posted by Nethaera

So what can we do to capture that nostalgia of when WoW first launched? Over the years we have talked about a “pristine realm”. In essence that would turn off all leveling acceleration including character transfers, heirloom gear, character boosts, Recruit-A-Friend bonuses, WoW Token, and access to cross realm zones, as well as group finder. We aren’t sure whether this version of a clean slate is something that would appeal to the community and it’s still an open topic of discussion.

[/quote]

This is step into right direction I think...But you must remember, thatn many community prayers were about getting this 1-60 content unchanged. So it may be not enough.
What I want to say, all or almost all of players that are talking about nostaligia want only 1-60 level vanilla classic without further expansionos and definetly without legion/wod/cata. Just to be clear, that no exp boosters with sitting Garrison would be still boring ;) (Or any kind of LFR)
Thank you for this, I think that the community as a whole will appreciate a break in the radio silence about this topic. I believe that most of us do understand the situation, and why Blizzard acted as it did.

A pristine server is something me and my friends have always thought of as interesting, it would be great to see Blizzard pull it off, even if it does not bring the original old world back in it's greatest glory. At least we'll always remember it.
Finally we got the message we deserve. I think that the Nostalrius dev team can assist blizzard in launching classic realms. Good luck and I still believe that one day we can re-experience this great game.
We are listening.

You think you do, but you dont.

On a serious note. It's great that Blizzard is trying to get with the times and actually looking into the matter at hands. Instead of ignoring it completely.
I'm curious about the tremendous challenge as you say, in starting a server supporting essentially Pre-cata content. I take it you mean the challenge is in integrating this into the current WoW client? If so, then I don't know the answer. However I know that starting a "pirate server", private server, or what ever you want to call it, is incredibly easy to do on your own, so I struggle to see the challenge. Perhaps it is because Blizzard is looking for a solution that does not use an additional client/exe?

Elaborate, if possible.

Otherwise it's great to see a response. I was always convinced that the majority of the people in Blizzard are errh... Not like certain people who appear on stage at BlizzCon, no matter how many people would like to think so.

Edit: Just to add, if there is no further replies in this thread, then know what you and this thread continue to be percieved as. I want to hope that this is more than just damage control, but alas.
I don't see that ending well. I can already see the pristine server players calling the rest of the communty as carebears and choosing the path of least resistance.
Still sounds as the best compromise, since it means only one version of WoW will be supported and development will follow suite as normal.
"We are listening but we are not gonna do anything about it " LUL
I will probably get down voted into a hidden post but please don't assign any resources to the demands of a very vocal, very small minority (a lot of ppl played on private servers because they were free not just because of nostalgia).

Don't create a precedent for this. They don't just want classic wow, they will want tbc, wotlk, progressive pve, arena seasons and who knows what else. Those versions of the game are gone, deal with it!

Even if it would be just 2 devs assigned to implementing classic servers I would rather have those 2 guys update frostbolts animation or something for legion instead.
Please give us classic servers. I and many others will resubscribe.
One other note - we’ve recently been in contact with some of the folks who operated Nostalrius. They obviously care deeply about the game, and we look forward to more conversations with them in the coming weeks.

Not bad.

I like this reaction from Blizzard. It feels honest, though I am missing real action.
Blizzard actually responding on the matter of Nostalrius? I foresee exploding heads in the immediate future.

What many people don't comprehend is that shutting down Nostalrius became a necessity, as Nethaera said, because it was too big. If Blizzard allow a technically illegal server like Nostalrius to operate, people would begin pushing the envelope of what's allowed further and further - perhaps starting to take credit for Blizzard's work or even charging money, and then Blizzard would have to step in - but the operators could then call bull!@#$ and say "So why do you allow Nostalrius to continue existing?" It would present a difficult legal conundrum, and Blizzard cannot risk that, with as big a company as they are.

If Blizzard have indeed been in talks with the Nostalrius team, this gives me hope that classic servers may indeed happen - if it does really happen, my own head will probably also explode.
Firstly, thank you for responding. I was starting to sweat a little, but you guys came through. You listened, and that's all that us rational folks have ever wanted. We've started a conversation, and that means we can start working together. We all want to enjoy Warcraft!

My questions would be;

1) Can you go into specifics about the difficulties regarding official legacy servers? Is it a matter of hardware or software, or both?

2) What have your conversations with the Nostalrius team comprised of?
Just launch Legacy servers, hire the Nostalrius people and they can create a server ez.
26/04/2016 08:00Posted by Litchyritchy
Just launch Legacy servers, hire the Nostalrius people and they can create a server ez.

This will not integrate with the battle.net current systems though. I think it's a little more technical than that but I do agree :) If we can't get legacy then pristine is the next best since we won't have any of this LFR rubbish.
26/04/2016 08:00Posted by Litchyritchy
Terrible idea. We don't know what the nostalrius people hid in the code. Maybe there is nothing harmful, maybe there are nasty things.
Just waiting for the Unsubbing bomb. Give us vanilla servers allready lol.
Cannot be that hard to give us what we want.
26/04/2016 07:32Posted by Gcsmith
Please don't waste any resources doing special servers. Legacy servers especially would get old really fast. People already complain about lack of updates, and legacy servers by their very nature would never get new content.

The reason why people want updates and new content in current expansion is because the content is so extremely long and boring. People clear Mythic HFC in a couple of weeks and then it's out for almost a year? Vanilla content might have been just as long sometimes, but atleast during that time people were still progressing through current content. I'm pretty sure in some cases the best guild in the world at the time didn't manage to clear the last boss of a raid before next content was released, Tempest Keep for example.