Roleplaying a male or female character.

Argent Dawn
Prev 1 4 5 6 15 Next
29/04/2016 18:55Posted by Tyrenas
I RP males because I don't want to come across like an idiot of making a female character stereotypical tropes as I don't know what it's like to be a woman at all.

I leave that to others.

Heroic :)
I'm going to actually give a serious answer.

I used to play only female characters when i was younger, but I think that was a confidence thing. I'm a pretty effeminate man and it tends to reflect on my characters, and just letting people assume I might be a woman seemed the easiest thing to do, for me at least.

Now that I'm a bit older and give less of a !@#$ about what people think, I only play male characters, even those I don't roleplay on. Not for any real reason other than because I want to. I'm not against others roleplaying the other gender if that's what they want to do, but I don't personally want to pretend to be a woman.

Slightly related: I do get a bit uncomfortable when straight men chose to play gay females (and enter lesbian relationships with other straight men playing gay women) but I don't get mad about it or anything. I just don't think their intentions are always entirely wholesome.
I RP males because I don't want to come across like an idiot of making a female character stereotypical tropes as I don't know what it's like to be a woman at all.

I leave that to others.

Oh believe me, we have plenty of people on our side of the fence doing that too.
What are the stupid stereotypes women associate with men?
29/04/2016 19:38Posted by Fearless
What are the stupid stereotypes women associate with men?

- We need to hold/juggle our junk & nuts at least once an hour in fear of one day finding them gone.
- We're all really competitive and want to show off
- We're all super interested/knowledgeable when it comes to cars or other technical gadgets.
- We're reliable pack mules whenever you want something carried
- The first thing we do when we see a woman is to check their curves (aka personality)
- We generally wear more blue & less flashy colours compared to the fairer sex
- We enjoy watching a lot of sports such as ice hockey, football, and so on, and have moderate/good knowledge of the players and so on.
29/04/2016 19:18Posted by Kagra
https://rgambler.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/male_female_bell_curve_.png

STOP.

What research is the graph taken from? What was the sample group? Age, location, etc. What are the merits of g compared to other measures of intelligence? What methodology was used, is it valid? What about the tests used to determine g?

If you're trying to get scientific here these are just a few of the questions that need to be considered. A lone graph without any of that information is worthless. As it were, I can find papers that argue a higher average of g for men and I can find papers that argue for no difference in average.
I play both, don't see a reason why not.

Would also encourage anyone who feels like they might do a terrible job at playing the opposite gender to just try it. Write a short story if you really don't want to roleplay it with other people.
Could give you some insights and stuff.

29/04/2016 16:42Posted by Korgosh
Women tend to have a much better intellect, however, despite what men say about "there are more men that are scientists than women."

STOP.

Isn't this stuff highly debatable anyway? Depending too much on which methodology is used to achieve results?
29/04/2016 19:33Posted by Kaaryv
Slightly related: I do get a bit uncomfortable when straight men chose to play gay females (and enter lesbian relationships with other straight men playing gay women) but I don't get mad about it or anything. I just don't think their intentions are always entirely wholesome.

I think it's fine when said intentions are wholesome, but it's plain to see when they aren't. And that, sadly, seems to probably be a majority of female !@#$%^-*!@ity when it comes to RP.

Which I imagine is probably a bit insulting.
29/04/2016 19:48Posted by Blythan
Would also encourage anyone who feels like they might do a terrible job at playing the opposite gender to just try it.

I'm going to second that. My experiences of poorly done characters of different gender to the player are that they come about when people overthink it. Unless you've spent all your life in some single gender compound, playing the opposite gender should be far more intuitive than playing a dastardly warlock or a millenniums old space goat.
29/04/2016 16:42Posted by Korgosh
Women tend to have a much better intellect, however, despite what men say about "there are more men that are scientists than women."

STOP.

No.

I stand by my statement.
29/04/2016 19:30Posted by Queteron

I leave that to others.

Heroic :)

Not heroic, nor was it some attempt at social justice. I just think I'd do a terrible job of it.

:S

I thought the question was personal views on the whole thing and I am not comfortable about portraying a female with how little I understand them.
For me the gender of my characters is a mixed bag of circumstances. Some OOC factor is involved - if I have a male of a race already, or a female - I'll probably make the corresponding opposite for some variety of animations and it feeling less like a character I already play.

I don't have one of every race but being able to have one of each gender if I have two of a race means I can dabble with different ideas in RP. Playing a female night elf hunter means she can be a sentinel, for example.

It can be a matter of model. I always thought the bulkiness of draenei males was sort of unsuited for mages or priests, even with the lore supporting them being devout followers of the Light and historically a people of magic. But that'd only be relevant depending on the class, and it's not like I rigidly stick to the idea that bulkier people can't be casters.

Sometimes there's no reason. I made some of my characters guys or girls because that's just the character I wanted to make.

To a point, I thought the same thing.

Personally though I don't think playing a man or a woman merits much of a different way of thinking. We're not wholly different creatures. I think it's the mark of a good character when they could exist as either male or female. There's the obvious difference of the typical sexual preference but it's not like that's such a huge part of RP that it matters much - and it's not like a male or female character can't have characteristics that are masculine like aggressiveness, assertiveness and being protective, or feminine - like being kind, sensitive or empathetic.
I tend to stick with female, but I've dabbled with male characters as well. It's not so much a matter of me being comfortable with the opposite gender or not, so much as wanting to have believable characters. I'm still not sure that I made my male characters seem genuine. It's a little like watching those child RP characters run around and exaggerate every cliché attached to that age group to the extremes.
BTW the junk juggling is 100% true.
29/04/2016 20:05Posted by Zen
if I have two of a race means I can dabble with different ideas in RP. Playing a female night elf hunter means she can be a sentinel, for example.

There's pretty few things still gender-limited as far as I know.

There are Dark Rangers, and... That is it?

29/04/2016 20:05Posted by Zen
masculine like aggressiveness, assertiveness and being protective

Being protective seems like a fairly feminine thing. See mama bear tearing your face off.
29/04/2016 20:02Posted by Tyrenas
with how little I understand them.

Why won't you understand me? ;_;
There's pretty few things still gender-limited as far as I know.

True, though it's not exclusively for gender-exclusive things. That night elf sentinel is my night elf character which I do my night elf RP on, which is tend of how I think of it - like Zen is my pandaren RP character. Depending on who I'm on affects the kinds of crowds I'm involving myself with and which areas I'm RPing in.

If I still wanted to explore other parts of night elf lore and RP, though - that being on my night elf hunter didn't cover, I'd do something like make a male druid, which gets me involved with different types of RP within the same community of players.

Edited for clarity and stuff.
This is actually a really interesting thread to read mind, particularly the people giving longer, more in depth answers. In particular, when folk are replying with things like being concerned about unconvincingly portraying the other gender, or it feeling weird/uncomfortable. It's strange, but it is telling that I don't really consider having been able to tell a player's gender from the way they roleplay (although often it's VERY telling through TRP descriptions). I could honestly gush over this all day, mind, I'm like crazy interested in how games encourage exploration of identity.

For the record, as mentioned before I always gravitated towards playing female characters in all games; even just random non-Role-playing games. It just comes to me easier, Though while my second WoW char was a male, it was a blood elf so I'm not sure how much that counts.
29/04/2016 20:02Posted by Korgosh
No.

I stand by my statement.

Can you explain? I want to read something more in-depth than "No u r wrong..."
29/04/2016 16:20Posted by Eastleigh
29/04/2016 16:19Posted by Vaxir
I prefer females, but do have some males.

And one or two who dwell in some deviant middle-ground, eh?

No.