Why did WoW never go "Support" class?

General
I love how people are talking about vanilla paladins being support and nothing else, considering how easilly i ran flags in premades then and made the average druid carrier look like a scrub. Or being that healer in heated blacksmith battles of AB that the opponents could hardly kill nor CC.. yeah paladins were only support <.<

Dont belive everything you read on the Internet kids, paladins were a lot more than support but having so much utility to draw upon it was often viewed as such and imbued their parties with an increased succes chance.. in pve we suffered greatly from the 5m blessings up till AQ20 was introduced roughly, not to mention that BoK was the retribution end talent.. but neither shamans or paladins were solely support.
<Retracted>

Nvm, saw your 2nd Pharagraph where you acknowledged the PvE side. But I have to add, yes only time people wanted a pala was if it was holy and for the buffs. For the rest it was lolret and lolprot.
Support classes were "killed" during Cataclysm. I remember in TBC, among others, you had Enhancement Shaman being buffer for melee group, while Elemental Shaman was big dps boost to caster dps group. Moonking were rarity, but they had that +5% crit chance increase.

So in the guild we had these two famous groups:

1) Caster dps group, which had two warlocks, fire mage, moonking and elemental shaman. We were destroying dps meters with all the buffs, and it was a privilege to be in that group in the guild. You literally fought your way up to be in it.

2) Caster counter part, melee group, which had enhancement shaman, surv hunter (had some expose armor thing, don't remember exactly), two rogues and I think arms warrior.

We always competed who would win the total dps of these two groups. It added such a flavor to our raiding team.

Boy, did the nostalgia struck me now. Such are the things I miss about modern WoW, but more factors contribute to those being gone now.

Directly onto the topic, I'd play support class always, I love them and it's kinda shame that they are no those in WoW anymore.

Regards,
Imm
Worst part was the buffs were per person, costed reagents and only lasted 5 minutes ontop of it...and vanilla wise you had 40 people (including yourself) to keep buffed.

3 January 2006 , Patch 1.9.0, Paladin Talent Revamp, New, 15-minute raid versions of blessings, and the ability to bless all members of a certain class with one click
So to speak a year of 5 minute buffing, so it was a rather fun year to keep track of the buffs :)
Since I always play supporters whenever available (Loremaster in LotRo / Controller in DCUO / Bard in RIFT etc.) I was very sad when they changed Enhancer from the last real supporter to yet another Melee-DD.

But thats the way WoW works, I made my peace with it.
19/05/2016 08:49Posted by Immortall
1) Caster dps group, which had two warlocks, fire mage, moonking and elemental shaman. We were destroying dps meters with all the buffs, and it was a privilege to be in that group in the guild. You literally fought your way up to be in it.

omg as if i could say it myself... that was some golden days..

i still remember the cryes, from mages and locks if i as moonkin or elemental shamns outdps them,,

( yea i used alot cloth back then).. i remember a mage in my group was so mad because he wasnt fit for the special group any longer.

vanilla/tbc my best wow experience ever.. ( maybe some of it was because i like to prove myself.

thx for reminding me Immortall

Every one said that moonkin sucked back then, and i liked to show them the big finger by linking dps meters xD
Because you should bring "the player" not "the class" tbh it was a good decision
Having a forced class setup was counter productive and in a few cases some classes/specs were outright banned from joining a raid (shadow priest, ret paladins etc.) lets not go down that path again.

The trick is to make each class feel unique whiteout making their abilities a necessity.
18/05/2016 20:18Posted by Thyrous
And then I mean like Bladedancers, swordsingers, witch doctors, overlords.. Heck. I dont know.
Classes that actually supported with haste, atk.power, spellpower etc buffs and also had a way of making enemies weaker and had some spells on their own. I never liked the fact that classes got passive buffs.
They never needed to be on par with the other classes when it comes to dps. Their support yet can solo because of their own spells.

Dont bring the hate stick. Im just curious :)

Classes tend to have support functions themself.

I dislike support classes. They exist to exist really. What can a support class do that the existing trinity cant do: nothing.

To make a support class viable you have to tune their buffs so that it's a bad idea not to to take them.

Now we can have 10-30 players in a raid then a support class can be bad or amazing considering how you tune them.
Vanilla Shaman, Paladin and Hunter were true support classes of their time. All those totem buffs, auras, pet management...It was fun stuff that Im still missing.
ret is a support class in rated pvp
There were support classes all along until cata
18/05/2016 21:54Posted by Фулкрум
Atleast they kept the DH as they supposed to be. But I am curious where did Illidan find Night Elves students for the training, he had only BE around which followed him with Kael'Thas.

maybe some where on mission when we got there or where in some deep unknown part of the BT?
But imagine a class running around during raids to everyone,your abilities would buff up people or yourself or debuff bosses for example

1. Warfare: Increase attack power by 12% for 10 seconds can only be active on two people at a time( X cooldown)

2.Fiery Brand: Engulf your targets weapon with flames letting them deal X extra fire damage for 12 seconds

Basicly a class that gives trinket effects with abilities for a certain duration ofcourse they can also have some nice cooldowns that help alot like one example i can think of

Heavenly Determination: You fill yourself and your team with determination granting everyone in a 30 yard radius a X shield and 10% increased healing received

just making up things on the spot,sorry i like to do that
Situation is somewhat more complicated (even rogue can be a support class - holding target while "main" player beating it >> youtube.com/watch?v=kPRjkUwfzUc <<), the old talent trees allow almost any class to be in varying degrees Support (this allowed individual style of play for certain people those who want to be... well... support with certain layout of talents), and new narrow "class fantasy" http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/17610601495?page=1#12 - don't.
19/05/2016 20:18Posted by Flëvor
Basicly a class that gives trinket effects with abilities for a certain duration ofcourse they can also have some nice cooldowns that help alot like one example i can think of

Paladin Blessing of Might did something similar. It is/was a short term buff cast on one player. I'm not sure if it;'s still in. Innervate for balance druids buffs a player and causes mana-free heals for the duration.