You've got to hand it to addon developers!

General
Pushing updates to keep everyone up and running problem free and devoting hours of time especially around new content releases, sure some make a tiny share of the hosts revenue, I believe something like maybe 5c per download once you reach a certain amount of popularity.

Some addons have literally been game changers.

Blizzard don't support addons but they allow them and when some that come along which are awesome they are "let's implement that!"

Does anyone else think that they could maybe give a little credit where credit's due, like an annual community awards program for these creators?

Streamers get much rep and fist bump from Blizz! Google wow community spotlight and you'll get a list of the usual suspects, Towellie, Cox, Johnson etc but does anyone know the guys behind the practically compulsory "Deadly Boss Mod" for example or the addon that made us all Richie Rich in WoD "Master Plan!"

Look at those guys who stole Blizzards code and setup a hobby copy of the game, they got to travel and spend the afternoon at HQ, meanwhile a guy who works hard on an addon that becomes defunct when added as a feature get's his curse pocket money stopped, hardly fair.

Sure I'm a hypocrite, only once donated for a mod and I don't subscribe to premium curse but then if I only download a mod once a year he's only getting 5c from that $30 anyway.

TLDR: Be nice if Blizzard gave addon developers some kind of recognition like hosting an annual function/awards...
21/07/2016 20:49Posted by Rhovanor
Blizzard don't support addons but they allow them and when some that come along which are awesome they are "let's implement that!"

Blizzard doesn't support addons, except that Blizzard makes the very API that makes addons even possible in the first place. I stopped reading there.

Pushing updates to keep everyone up and running problem free and devoting hours of time especially around new content releases,

Most of the time it's nothing more than updating the TOC to read 7.0.3 instead of 6.2.x..
Blizzard gave them recognition in that they got beta access to keep doing their great work. So they clearly do appreciate what these people are doing.
Blizzard clearly supports Add-on developers. Removing features from the game and making options only available through addons is a genius move to give them more work!
Blizzard doesn't support addons, except that Blizzard makes the very API that makes addons even possible in the first place. I stopped reading there.

They've said it themselves,

"we don't support addons we allow them, there's a great vibrant community yada yada we see something really cool we're like let's put that in game!"

21/07/2016 20:54Posted by Brujeria
they got beta access

Once upon a time you could make a salary from beta testing, now it's just an army of clueless free labour that don't leave feedback and self promoting narcissists. Giving someone a free product so they can make it better is not much gratitude!

21/07/2016 21:00Posted by Michaela
Removing features from the game and making options only available through addons

Aye, Ion H said this in his recent Legion Q & A.
21/07/2016 22:22Posted by Rhovanor
"we don't support addons we allow them, there's a great vibrant community yada yada we see something really cool we're like let's put that in game!"

They don't support addons as in they don't provide customer support. The Lua API didn't write itself.
21/07/2016 22:26Posted by Cassey
They don't support addons as in they don't provide customer support. The Lua API didn't write itself.

+1 but LUA is not Blizzards it's open source

(https://www.lua.org/license.html)

They could support addons better.

There's no official wiki for wow macros or programming and it isn't always transparent when they make changes.

http://wowprogramming.com/ (community)
http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/World_of_Warcraft_API (community)
http://www.macroexplain.com/ (now defunct but community)

Hosts are all 3rd party commercial sites or at the authors expense like http://www.tukui.org/

What's wrong with maybe:

An annual community award inviting winners to HQ?
    A community spotlight that isn't based just around streamers/bloggers but backend game changers?
    Michelle Morrow in both MoP and WoD had NPC's named after her, can the same be said of the author of recount or skada....
+1

I hope blizzard will start support, even financially addon dev's.
Pushing updates to keep everyone up and running problem free and devoting hours of time especially around new content releases, sure some make a tiny share of the hosts revenue, I believe something like maybe 5c per download once you reach a certain amount of popularity.

Some addons have literally been game changers.

Does anyone else think that they could maybe give a little credit where credit's due, like an annual community awards program for these creators?

Streamers get much rep and fist bump from Blizz! Google wow community spotlight and you'll get a list of the usual suspects, Towellie, Cox, Johnson etc but does anyone know the guys behind the practically compulsory "Deadly Boss Mod" for example or the addon that made us all Richie Rich in WoD "Master Plan!"

Look at those guys who stole Blizzards code and setup a hobby copy of the game, they got to travel and spend the afternoon at HQ, meanwhile a guy who works hard on an addon that becomes defunct when added as a feature get's his curse pocket money stopped, hardly fair.

Sure I'm a hypocrite, only once donated for a mod and I don't subscribe to premium curse but then if I only download a mod once a year he's only getting 5c from that $30 anyway.

TLDR: Be nice if Blizzard gave addon developers some kind of recognition like hosting an annual function/awards...

Id imagine that some addons take a heep of work, and they seem to exist based on advertising and donations? and well I think blizzard should implement some kind of development support - separate from curse... add it into the shop feature , it wouldn't have to be buy to use addons, they could just funnel X amount of sub funds to addon devs and there popularity.
Blizzard should hire them.

ATLEAST the ones who really are long term and which people love - a good example is the Equipment Manager which is ingame now. I remember when this was an addon you had to dl.
21/07/2016 23:08Posted by Rhovanor
+1 but LUA is not Blizzards it's open source

Lua is just a programming language, Blizzard still had to expose an API to it. I would know because I've used Lua as an extension language for a little game I made a while back.
22/07/2016 00:15Posted by Worldsbest
Id imagine that some addons take a heep of work, and they seem to exist based on advertising and donations?

Indeed, so many I've noticed on the curse client are pushing updates several times a day.

A new popular one:

http://mods.curse.com/addons/wow/advancedinterfaceoptions

So many people are recommending this to fix features disabled by default with the simplified options interface in 7.0.

22/07/2016 15:53Posted by Cassey
Blizzard still had to expose an API to it.

And yet on the US forum the section of the site devoted to it is read only, how's that for support!
he guys behind the practically compulsory "Deadly Boss Mod"

They now have a Patreon for it so they get paid. I'm surprised that Blizzard allow this.

That was more than a hobby it was a fully working Vanilla version with custom built server code.

It wasn't a jolly to Blizzard. It was a way for Blizzard to control them. The creators said they though it was allowed. Essentially plead ignorance when we know full well they knew it was illegal. Blizzard decided to 'embrace' them rather than a full out assault with lawyers so it never over shadowed Legion. If Legion is a huge success then dont expect a huge outcry for Vanilla servers for a long time.

Blizzard might be out of touch but they are certainly not stupid.
Blizzard allowing a multitude of addons (unlike other MMOs) and WoW having such a flourishing addon market, with automated updaters like Curse and so on is one of the reasons I always liked this game. Customizing and optimizing was always in my blood since I started to mess with the first computer I had.
They are legends
Thanks MSI :P