Good CPU for Legion+ content

General
Get an i5 4460 and some z97 motherboard. The cpu is VERY cheap and VERY good. I got mine for 150 euros and it can run every single game 60+ fps with my old r9 280x toxic.
11/08/2016 10:30Posted by Sevathar
10/08/2016 20:17Posted by Retier
my point was that the fx 6300 is definitely not a good cpu for playing wow. if you want you can compare it to an i3, my point stands.

Nonsense. FX 6300 is more than enough for WoW, especially if overclocked. I'm not the one comparing the two uncomparable CPUs, you are. Stating the obvious that A is faster B constitutes no point at all.

Azsharax asked for a "not overly expensive" suggestion yet you're going on about $200 $300+ Intel processors which would also require a new motherboard and that's additional $100. Everyone knows that new and expensive is faster than old and cheap, that's not the point here.

@ Azsharax - get a $50 cooler, a good cooling paste (Arctic Silver 5 or Arctic MX-4) and overclock your FX-6300 to 4,5 GHz. Also look into what kind of graphic details eat a lot of resources yet provide little visual improvement, like shadow quality.

pointless to buy anything for a fx 6300, if you're happy with the performance stay on it, if you're unhappy with it get a worthwhile upgrade. the op is evidently unhappy with it.

read their post, below 30 fps and dips to 10 fps. that's so far from enjoyable that the overclock is irrelevant. maybe you can manage to reach an average of 30 fps with dips to 15 fps, it's still a crap experience.

shame they removed the hardware forum, there were plenty of good posts by chanyi showing the experience playing legion beta with an 8350, and it wasn't great.
11/08/2016 14:34Posted by Retier
pointless to buy anything for a fx 6300, if you're happy with the performance stay on it, if you're unhappy with it get a worthwhile upgrade. the op is evidently unhappy with it.

read their post, below 30 fps and dips to 10 fps. that's so far from enjoyable that the overclock is irrelevant. maybe you can manage to reach an average of 30 fps with dips to 15 fps, it's still a crap experience.

shame they removed the hardware forum, there were plenty of good posts by chanyi showing the experience playing legion beta with an 8350, and it wasn't great.

The aforementioned FPS drops are not happening in Legion content, they're happening now with invasion events.

Silver summed it up nicely on the previous page. It comes down to whether or not someone is willing or naive enough for a $400 upgrade just to have smoother FPS over the next 2 weeks. Because after Legion release there won't be 100+ characters on screen.

FX-6300 is more than good enough for WoW.
10/08/2016 21:53Posted by Retier

this is how it ran on my system.
2560x1440
4x msaa
10 preset
i7 6700k @ 4.8ghz
16gb ddr4 @ 3ghz
gtx 1080 @ 2.1ghz

average 71 fps minimum 28 fps. the last bit was extremely demanding yeah.

[/quote]

Doesn't this seem really low to you? You have insane cpu and gpu specs, and it still performs this poorly? I've read lots of posts of people with gtx 1080's who are experiencing poor performance. A friend of mine is reporting more than twice my fps with a 980ti and similar cpu specs, compared to my 1080. (Same settings etc)

Sorry for the necro :o
11/08/2016 10:47Posted by Silver
Got a i7 6700K and gtx 1080, playing @ 4K, all settings max other than particle effects (set to good instead of high), getting 26fps during invasions with a lot of players. Guys, those situations are EXCEPTIONS, don't consider them when building PCs or arguing about parts. Fact is you won't be hitting a boss with 50+ players all popping rings and skills and AOEs. You'll be fighting in a max 25 man raid in a smaller area with less taxing elements.

WOW really taxes a CPU a lot when there are many players on the screen. All these various issues during invasions will not be present during regular gameplay or even raids. I get 90 fps stable during HFC (when I disable vsync).

its 30 players max now, but yea, i dont build my machine just for wow, i also play other games, im using AMD FX-8370E Eight-Core Processor 3.5ghz and been raiding just fine, atleast in wod, need to wait what happens in legion

Yes, absolutely.

Now that the "mobile" versions of the new graphics cards are out (1080 imminent) it's time for my upgrade. I actually quite like what they'v done... making the mobile versions only slightly nerf'd versions of the desktops.

Anyway - my CPU choice is now the major thing. The longer I wait... the better it is for me.

Virtualisation is much improved in Gen 6. Virtualisation matters a lot to me. I run alot of VM's.

And Iv been thinking of doing something a bit off the wall recently. Iv been thinking of creating a Linux distribution with all the plugins already installed to create a seamless WoW VM installation, with all the hardware acceleration pass through already done at the back end by me.

Licensing restrictions on Windowz means I just cant bundle it all up in one neat package. Well.. I could get away with it in Windows Server 2016 preview I guess (should have a free 6 months renewable "trial" license). But Im not a lawyer and I dont want MS making my life a misery.

I'll post something up if I ever get around to it.

anyway... thats whats making my hardware choice more of a pain right now. VM considerations really matter to me...
I'm running an i7 6700k, that thing really gets the job done!
Also an z171 krait gaming which was to make the price allround not too expensive :)
Great setup :p
U should also consider to buy an ssd (solid state drive). The solid state drive makes you texures and people load faster

You can play Legion with AMD CPUs, i will do just that, BUT! if you are preoccupied by FPS, you will need to tweak settings.

Fortunately, some settings have almost NO IMPACT WHATSOEVER on image quality... most of the times - specifically when it matters for me, in raiding. For Arena, BGs, an AMD CPU is great and will easily keep you at 60 with everything maxed, outside IoC from my experience, where I experienced crazy drops (water?) even without players around.

Of great importance is that DX12 and Vulkan are here, and I am glad to say, after testing DOOM and Rise of the Tomb Raider, that my AMD FX 8350 WAS SIMPLY AMAZING in these titles that can easily take advantage of all cores. In fact, if the game is able to load all cores, the FX 8350 is actually showing a (slight) advantage against the latest i5s in some tests, although I've seen a test where AMD CPUs didn't do that good (with a GTX 1080). In DOOM Vulkan, I've seen videos showing it's up to 15-20% vs an i5 4690K, and in OpenGL the FX 8350 slightly beat an i5 6400, and DOOM is CPU hungry as hell, but it stops being an issue for AMD FX once it can use all the 8 cores.

From my own experience with Vulkan and Dx12, there's nothing bad I can say. The FX 8350 EASILY maxes out a GTX 970 even @1080p, and the FPS is great and stable.

To cut it short - are you an all-WoW, no other games player that's preoccupied with keeping 60 with everything maxed, in all environments? Your best bet is Intel, buy one, be happy.

Do you play other games? Do you have a relatively nice GPU that can do DX12 and Vulkan?

IMO it's not worth it to change from an FX 8350 yet. Only good i7s show a somewhat decent advantage in Vulkan over the FX 8350, for example, so if you wanna spend on those, sure, but don't expect miracles over the FX, which is already quite able to drive a decent GPU in new DX12/Vulkan titles. If you have something like a GTX 1080, there's a chance you actually need a good i7 such as the 6700K for it.

And the DirectX12/Vulkan titles should be the norm from now on. the new DeusEx, which I am looking forward to the next weeks, will yet again be a Dx12 title.

Simply put, it's just these MMOs or budget games that are reluctant to adopt the new APIs. If you're exclusively playing these, get yourself an Intel and be done with it.
12/08/2016 10:43Posted by Sevathar
The aforementioned FPS drops are not happening in Legion content, they're happening now with invasion events.

Oh, they are, and they happen like crazy in Suramar, or The Nighthold. Unless they optimized it since I've been there.

Aszuna:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxlW53y8xiDFdGpUNURHWjVFXzA

Humongris world boss:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxlW53y8xiDFcUFRS2pQa3lPUUE

Levantus world boss:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxlW53y8xiDFVGJfb3J3VnRNTzA

Emerald Nightmare LFR:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxlW53y8xiDFUG9TNURIaHIyTVk