Spaceships...

General
14/08/2016 00:37Posted by Harlee
Legion aren't from Azeroth, they're literally from other planets of which they assimilate other races into their armies... they're superior in tech compared to the denizens of Azeroth...

That being said, you'd think they would have their armies kitted out with ranged weapons, instead of all of them being melee mostly...

Honestly when I first seen the ships warp in...I first thought of Warhammer 40k and the void ships.

As soon as I thought of that link between the games and then reminded myself of all the Melee combat that takes place in that despite the Bolter weapons and energy weapons on show the Legion using melee weapons makes a lot of sense.
13/08/2016 15:28Posted by Varathir
Assuming the expansion after Legion will take us to Argus, we'll be using a spaceship [I think?] to get there anyway.

Pretty sure we'll be using the portal our Lord Illidan has anchored before the Fall.
Along with the Sargerei Keystone we retrieved on our conquest of Mardum we should make it possible.
13/08/2016 13:27Posted by Inflamings
Idea of Legion attacking is good, but spaceships really ?

Couldnt they just pop out of some green clouds that opened on sky and fall down in form of meteor ?

Spaceships in WoW makes no sense, 1 000 000 000 ton giant monstrosity levitates and makes portals and we are fighting with swords and arrows...

:/

You seem to have no problem with the other "advanced" technologies that have been around since Vanilla though. Teleportation, robots, lasers, flying machines, world creation engines etc etc so why not space ships which are already in the lore, the Exodar and the Genodar (sp?)
They need ships to travel through the twisting Nether. Not space.

It is a fantasy setting not like a real life universe.

We will need to capture some of those to copy the tech and go after the Legion once we kick them out of Azeroth forever.

Only a guess. Ho-hum.
This is not spaceship, its tower with door on side.
technicaly those ships do not come from space it self, but through portals from the twisting nether, though they might be able to travel through space to.
but in a way they are more like dimension ships instead for the moment.

and there is lots of space ships in wow anyways now, or atleast ships able to reach other dimensions.

Exodar, probably the best known one.
Auchindoun was actualy a ship also, well part of it was.
tempest keep, all of them are ships.
Osgun is also a ship.
Naxramas is also able to switch dimensions if so needed.
Dalaran, par not a ship but still flying arround.
Goblins used a rocket to get to outland if I recall.
both alliance and horde uses air ships, that are powered whit some realy suspicous engines.

I probably missed out a few ships there also.
13/08/2016 13:35Posted by Adaria
13/08/2016 13:33Posted by Nickiminaj
Starships were meant to fly.

Did you make that character just for this moment? :o

Im so proud I had to google to understand it
13/08/2016 13:32Posted by Eolien
Spaceships in WoW makes no sense, 1 000 000 000 ton giant monstrosity levitates and makes portals and we are fighting with swords and arrows...

Exodar has been in the game for a really really long time. We've known about spaceships for a really really long time. Just like in a lot of sci-fi/fantasy universes, different planets/civilizations are more advanced than others. Just because Azeroth hasn't reached that technology yet doesn't mean no one else has or that we never will.

1 000 000 000 ton giant monstrosity levitates and makes portals and we are fighting with swords and arrows...

Hey, I'll admit I can levitate and make portals but calling me that fat is just mean...

that made me laugh :)
"1 000 000 000 ton giant monstrosity levitates and makes portals"
"Hey, I'll admit I can levitate and make portals but calling me that fat is just mean..."
There are already other spaceships in WoW universe (Exodar, Oshu'gun, Tempest Keep), althought they are rather "fantasy" themed and powered by magic, so are Titans creations (in Halls of Origination they even need to keep 4 constructs to maintain magic energies). Legion "portalships" from the other hand looks like Warhammer 40k ones, which has just emerged from the Warp.

... next expansion:
Somewhere in Khaz Modan, dwarven patrol in mountains. Suddenly Legion structures appear
-Deeeeeeeeeeemons!
-Hold the line! Hold the line, damnit!
-We cannot hooooold-
*BLAM*
*Executed for heresy*
*Morale restored to 100%, attack speed buff applied*
-For the Emperor! Chaaaaaaarge!
Why do people in this game have such a difficult time understanding Science-Fiction Elements?

One of the MAIN reasons I LOVE Warcraft is that it blurs the line between High Fantasy and Science Fiction. Dreanor has been in the game since the first Warcraft RTS, so this series was INTENDED to have science-fiction elements because both the Orcs and later the Dreanei are both alien visitors to Azeroth.

To be honest, as one of the youngest worlds in development, Azeroth is much less technologically developed then the civilisation that lives on Argus (the Eredar (Dreanei)).

Yet people !@#$% about the Science Fiction elements of this game but are happy to accept Goblin/Gnome flying machines and their technology.

This I find to be totally hypocritical - WoW is NOT "Lord of the Rings" and that is what makes it so appealing, the mix of technology and magic is somewhat unique to other fantasy genres. Hell... The entire of Azaroth was shaped and created by TITAN TECHNOLOGY which they left behind for us to study.

Try not to judge Azaroth by your own human standards and just because you are incapable of understanding a concept like this, doesn't mean its wrong or makes the game any less fun.

Tl:DR

OPEN YOUR MIND!
13/08/2016 23:49Posted by Ashandil
13/08/2016 23:30Posted by Khrunix
Lore wise i agree it doesn't fit, if the legion had giant flying ships that could raid down death from above they would have made an earlier appearance.

From a gameplay PoV, i'm okay with things like this being added to spice stuff up, invasions would be a lot less cool if it was just portals opening up instead of a giant ship sending down demons.

Did you ever encounter a Fel Reaver in TBC...? You know those huuuuge mechanical monstrosity that would walk about in Hellfire Peninsula and other zones. Once you heard it - you knew you were likely to just.. die.
That was not enough of a sci-fi clue that the Legion is fairly well advanced.. Much more so than we'd like to think.

Draenei crashing their Spaceship into Azeroth should have cemented the deal for ya.. Right there.

The fact is that the Legion consists of many races - some are incredibly magically adept. Others are experts within science and technology. Infernals are a great example of Legion engineering which is quite well even disguised as magic.

There has only ever been one great Demonic Invasion in Azeroth's time.. The rest of the Legion invasions have all been through other races like the Orcs and the Scourge. All these invasions have failed before gaining enough of a foothold to summon the Legion (remember it required the Well of Eternity to try and summon Sargeras through to this World...)

There has been little reason for them to bring out the heavy artillery until now and much less grounds for them to do so, first of all they've not been summoned in well over ten thousand years. This time.. It is the Legion invading head on, without tricking other races into doing their bidding. Not through Undeads.. Not through Orcs... But with actual Legion armies. Say hello to technology and magic combined through Fel.

WHich member of the legion is adept at science to the point of making spaceshifts? So far ignoring the ships randomly appearing, we haven't seen tech from the legion more advanced than gnomes or goblins, the fel reaver is just a shell controlled by demonic energy and not a fully functional robot.
This game need more robots, lazers, motorcycles and spaceships. </sarcasm>
Blizzard love to rape their own universe. I just wish it was a simple sword and magic game.
The Legion has conquered countless worlds, there is no reason that one of those worlds can't have spaceships, besides we have had spaceships since BC :)
14/08/2016 15:27Posted by Khrunix
WHich member of the legion is adept at science to the point of making spaceshifts? So far ignoring the ships randomly appearing, we haven't seen tech from the legion more advanced than gnomes or goblins, the fel reaver is just a shell controlled by demonic energy and not a fully functional robot.

the eredar are and they are many so no doubt some of them have the knowledge to make space ships also.
This game need more robots, lazers, motorcycles and spaceships. </sarcasm>
Blizzard love to rape their own universe. I just wish it was a simple sword and magic game.

Please do not use the R word.
Meanwhile the Ethereals are over in the corner with techno music and holograms and smartphones with pokemon GO like "don't mind us.."
Everyone is forgetting, the Eredar (who are members of the Legion) are a technologically and magically developed civilisation and they all joined the Legion. The Legion has Hellfire Cannons in Burning Crusade amongst the same "Fel-crystal" technology that the Dreanei and the Naaru use (suggesting that all their technology comes from the same source).

It is possible that the Naaru possessed this technology, gave the technology to the Eredar, which the Dreanei have and then when the Eredar joined the Legion, they contributed that technology to the Legion.

It was stated that Sargeras WANTED the Eredar because of how ADVANCED they were both technologically and magically and this was all established WAY before Legion.
14/08/2016 12:43Posted by Xianghu
Why do people in this game have such a difficult time understanding Science-Fiction Elements?

One of the MAIN reasons I LOVE Warcraft is that it blurs the line between High Fantasy and Science Fiction. Dreanor has been in the game since the first Warcraft RTS, so this series was INTENDED to have science-fiction elements because both the Orcs and later the Dreanei are both alien visitors to Azeroth.

To be honest, as one of the youngest worlds in development, Azeroth is much less technologically developed then the civilisation that lives on Argus (the Eredar (Dreanei)).

Yet people !@#$% about the Science Fiction elements of this game but are happy to accept Goblin/Gnome flying machines and their technology.

This I find to be totally hypocritical - WoW is NOT "Lord of the Rings" and that is what makes it so appealing, the mix of technology and magic is somewhat unique to other fantasy genres. Hell... The entire of Azaroth was shaped and created by TITAN TECHNOLOGY which they left behind for us to study.

Try not to judge Azaroth by your own human standards and just because you are incapable of understanding a concept like this, doesn't mean its wrong or makes the game any less fun.

Tl:DR

OPEN YOUR MIND!

WARNING. Post may contain spoilers about plot and detalists of some fantasy books utilising concept of mixing "classic" and technological elements. You read on your own risk!

I would point that there is line between "magic" SF and real SF. Warcraft universe was always based on "magic" meaning of SF, which in fact roots deep in standard fantasy. Many fantasy universes operate on parallel timelines (here falls all books operating on time travels or alternative history), parallel worlds (one of best examples here are Roger Zelazny's "Chronicles of Amber", althought it is one of oldest and most commonly used pattents in history of fantasy literature) , other dimensions (incredibly well used in Steven's Erikson "Malazan Book of the Fallen" series), multiple planes (here, as well as to "other dimensions" category falls books of Polish fantasy writer Robert M. Wegner "Tales from Meekhanian Borderlands" [honestly, I don't know if English edition of this one even exist, translation of title is my own; series are realy great thou and wrote on level of best world-widly known writers, so I won't be suprised if English edition will come soon]), even other planets (again Polish author, this time Jarosław Grzędowicz with "The Lord of the Ice Garden").
Commonly in more "advanced", "ambitious" (English isn't my native language, and altought I am trying to be as communicative as possible, I sometimes lack words... sorry for that) fantasty literature is existence of (sometimes very advanced) technology:
-in the second part of "Chronicles of Amber" (latter 5 books), "third force" between Law and Chaos is created as kind of artificial intelligence by one of protagonists, who utilises specifical phycis laws of one of parallel worlds to build that very special computer (which would be unable to work in "our" world as explained).
-main (altought not only) sources of magic in world of "Malazan Book of the Fallen" are Warrens and Holds; each of them are in fact other dimension assigned to dedicated element or aspect - Warrens are single-theme oriented and Holds are more primal, dedicated to each "kingdom" (i.e. Hold of Beast, Empty Hold (Hold of Fate)); in same time, Warrens have decent place in cosmological myth of MBotF world. Thing I want to point is that one of first races existing in MBotF universe, native to "main" series world (thats my assumption, basing on events and world description of "Forge of Darkness", frist tome of prequel series "The Kharkanas Trilogy" and some informations in main series) are lizard-like K'Chain Che'Malle, who are harnessing their specific magic to power great sky fortresses and other advanced technology
-as for "Tales from Meekhanian Border", it's world concept is based somehow on greatly expanded idea of Yggdrassil, the World Tree from Nordic myths; the world in which books take place was somehow cut from others in dark age of wars between gods, yet some connection remained. One of main protagonists get possesed by shade of one of avenderi, people who were carrying part of their god in their bodies and thus were his avatars between mortals, and witness visions from his memories; while those mostly cover horrors of said war, some refers to world living in peace, in which some elements are somehow close to classivied as technological rather than magical. Also, one of races that visited that speficic world once was "Immortal Fleet", living ships of miles-size, which were at same time their own capitans and house for their crew (the last one, which one of protagonists meet, refers to them as "children") - that concept is somehow more fitting to SF (ship being body of AI), but was utilised well in fantasy settiing
-In "The Lord of the Ice Garden", planet in deep space is discovered, and on it, forms of life that can be classified as "more primal" variations of Earth's life. After communication is lost with foothold set by scienctist, rescure mission (in form of one well trained protagonist) is sent on planets surface to investigate, as for unknown (revealed in last book) reason technology more advanced than early medival one is not working at all in said world environment; in same time magic apparently exist there (it is revealed that it is in fact form of nanomachines, leftover of civilisation who ascendented into higher form of being, capable of creating everything that user can visualise, as long as it fits to initial border conditions of world)
-as for other examples, I would refer to first books (as I have read so far only up to "Sorceress of the Witch World", still waiting for reeditions of follow-up books - 2 years of sillence about it now...) of the "Witch World" by Andre Mary Norton - it utilises concepts of parallel world and other planets, and while world is definitly deep rooted in fantasy and filled hard with magic, yet danger encouncered in first books by protagonists is comming from mysterious people of Kolder, who are utilising apparently advanced technology (from writers (60's) and main protagonist (post WW2) perspective), equal or even superpassing in some aspects those from our world - yet some of it is still powered by their magic (as described in later books)
-not qualifing to any of those categories because of setting, but still interesting to us due the technomagic is Jim Butcher's "The Cinder Spires: The Aeronaut’s Windlass" - aeroships, essential part of world, are running thanks to specific, magic-imbued crystals, acting as power cores, and same technology is used in weaponary; world itself is planet with surface covered by toxic mists, and houses of humanity are said in title Cinder Spires, built by mysterious Architects cities in air, standing on monumental collumns and reminding somehow City in Clouds from Bespin in Star Wars

Thing I want to point out is that in all those examples advanced technology is based somehow on magic sources utilised in given world, or is even used mixed with magic to archive specific goals (in such way it is used in trillogy [in Polish edition last book is divided into two tomes, IDK about others] "Tern" by Nik Pierumov, in which special magical sources are powering advanced war golems, and in same time other faction utilises chemistry and magic in way of necromancy and amplifing human's body). Every time it is used so, it bears mark of said magic and is rather closer to "fantasy" than "advanced technology" in means - unless it is specified as pure technology itself, such like in "Witch World" (altought is it amplified by magic somehow) or in "Chronicles of Amber" (altought without specific magic [ability to walk between worlds], reaching conditions needed to create said being would be impossiible). Of course, it doesn't apply to steampunk (which we have in WoW at some degree), dieselpunk etc., because those settings are basing on technology itself - yet usually in those worlds exist some kind of magic that allows such creations to exist, or at least exist in parallel to master engineering (very good example here are Adrian Tchaikovsky series "Shade of the Apt", in whose races of world [BTW each of them is bearing influence of specific kind of insects {Wasp-kinded, Beetle-kinded etc.}] are divided as Apt [who understand technology, but defy magic and cannot understand even basics of it] and Inapt [for whom even easiest technology {door locks etc.} is beyond understandability, but are masters of magic and arcane art]; while magic is fully restored to world in finale of last book, it exist in some forms all time there, and in same time, during the war the Wasp-kinded Apt are waging aganist other races, great mechanical constructs and airships are deployed on battlefield).

In WoW, we always had "magic-fiction" setting, mixed with steampunk, which means that advanced technology products were either developed be engineers as steam-powered mechanical constructs (all hail to Mechanostriders and Gnome Master Race! ... oh wait, jar is on top shelf :( ) or are utilising magic (in form of mana) to operate and are disgusted to fit "fantasy" standards - such as Naaru vessels, they are fueled by magic and their design is fitting "fantasty" world. Creations of Titans are magic-powered too, and utilises great magical energies in order to work (Forge of Wills, Halls of Origination [needs 4 {FOUR} great constructs to manage energies operated there, Engine of the Makers...). Technology of Draenei (and Eredar too, as it comes from same source) is based on magic too.

And here we come with those unfortunate Legion portal ships. They aren't fitting "magic-fiction", they are not steampunk creations - their technological origins and dedication to work in outer space are viseable even at first look. It is something that just don't fits Warcraft world, especially if you consider that concept of outer space is non-existing in WoW universe at all, and instead we have Twisting Nether, somehow closer to Warhammer's 40k Warp. Speaking of which, Legion ships looks like scout frigates of one of great Battlefleets of Imperium of Man, which had fallen in hands of Chaos worshippers (aka filthy traitors).
...Brace youselves, 14th Black Crusade is comming, and first world that will meet madness and terror carried by armies of Abaddon the Despoiler, Warmaster of Chaos, is Azeroth!
13/08/2016 14:46Posted by Farty
They don't fit in the same theme

You're right. You'd think we'd be more advanced by now. Give blasters and laser swords to everyone!!! More sci-fi ftw!!!
Oh and can we all please have mechs like Mekkatorque's. Sign me up for the new Spacemarine class!
13/08/2016 13:33Posted by Nickiminaj
Starships were meant to fly.

yes sing that spaceship song nicki ><'