Legion Single player or MMO?

General
There is a real difference in attitudes now it seems when you meet people questing, they are naturally grouping to do stuff, its a good thing

I am loving the questing, have to be honest

My main concern is a different one, i am playing a lot for me (2 hours today and the mrs is not happy) but i am only 104

Most my active guildies are 110 and doing heroics now, i feel like i am just too slow.
01/09/2016 20:13Posted by Annaconda
which makes it a co-op game with dalaran being the lobby.

... What? It's exactly what I said in my post that you quoted. Dalaran being "the lobby" is a pretty bold statement to make when people are out all over the Broken Isles...
02/09/2016 00:34Posted by Rorcanna
01/09/2016 20:13Posted by Annaconda
which makes it a co-op game with dalaran being the lobby.

... What? It's exactly what I said in my post that you quoted. Dalaran being "the lobby" is a pretty bold statement to make when people are out all over the Broken Isles...

Ppl are all out over the broken isles for now, to level, won't be the case in a week or two :p then its over
When is lfr gear coming back? I hope it is soon
01/09/2016 18:28Posted by Aerythlea
Gathering nodes are personal, so there's no need for people to be "that guy" who waits for someone to pull the mobs around the node, before running in and harvesting the node. Now you can help each other and both get the node.

But that was the best part! Some dude grabs it under my nose and I beat his face into a bloody pulp!

The times I had, so many laughs. Now... we are suppose to... help each other?

Ew.
Being that hero makes me cringe every single time, and it's really stupd aswell as heroe's don't go out to collect apples, yet we still do.

On the other hand, I feel there's a good feeling of both worlds, there is a huge part of the game that's multiplayer based, yet there's that other part that focusses on single player experience.
In the end they meet and even become a mix of both,
I hated the single player focus in older expansions, but it's not like this anymore.
I can experience both now when I feel like as they're both executed pretty well.
Just gonna throw this out, as a traditionally soloist player that tends to only group for group content, the changes in Legion have changed that.

Running around earlier doing quests, I found myself helping out a fellow Blood Elf mage and Demon Hunter, we were still doing our own thing but calling out to each other if we found something like hidden chests or nodes, helping each other with Encounters and so on, it was really quite pleasant.

It feels so much less of a solo adventure nowadays than it ever has, Blizz have done a good job with this aspect for sure.
It's nice to have a healthy amount of solo content.

Just because it's an MMO doesn't mean it needs to be 100% group content.

Raids, PvP, dungeons, elite world quests, world bosses etc... all those things are for groups.

It's nice to have some content to do without being joined at the hip to your friends or being reliant on their schedules matching yours.
01/09/2016 20:40Posted by Alurion

One problem with tap system is that it's not sharable across realms and most of zones are cross-realm zones :)

It is shared across realms. It's not cross faction however. As long as anyone on your faction has the tag, you get the tag too if you attack.
I've always created my own story. Instead of being the "grand commander of alliance", i'm just a commander of one of several outposts. Instead of leading a faction, i'm one of the generals and the rest of the players are the rest. Instead of picking up that "one magical muguffi to save the world", i'm hunting one piece of it.

Then raids sum it all up in a group effort.

I do this kind of mental rewrite on many games, but that's probably the D&D player in me ;)
I'm currently in a strange place right now.
I'm progressing through my Order Hall campaign as one should, and I am the Grand Master. I enjoy being the leadership and the respect I'm given. I feel personally that I would be fit to lead.
But they won't let me.
The only time I am in actual control over other NPCs, is when I assign them a mission.
I am unable to ask for status reports. I am unable to inquire about the progress of our initiates' training. There are no real ways to 'guide' the NPCs.

When the NPCs give me a quest, they are the ones to direct me. They're the ones who suggest (read: decide) the course of action that I have to blindly accept.
Rather than two or three additional options I should choose from. (I should add that these options should not come from their mouths)

Why am I, the Grand Master, who is supposed to be thinking of ways to stop the Legion from further destroying the order, asked to go out and get food and medical supplies?
I would gladly do it, for sure, but I would also like to assign a grunt to go out into the wilds and slay some boars for meat.

As I walk around my Order Hall to inspect the current progress, the NPCs literally ignore me. The only NPCs that recognize my presence are the Initiates - who should be focusing on their training.

A simple salutation as I talk to someone would do. A simple respectful greeting as I walk past would do. From a gameplay standpoint, I understand that this could get spammy in chat, but there's filters for everything.

If you want suggestions I can dedicate another reply to that, but I think I've rambled on enough for now. :)

TL;DR - I feel like a phony leader

Edit: I have missed out on WoD content, so I've not experienced Garrisons. If any of the issues mentioned had been part of the Garrisons, but removed in Order Halls, I'll stand corrected right there. ^^
01/09/2016 19:33Posted by Annaconda
@Aerythlea you basically confirmed WoW being focused on isolating players and eliminating need for interaction beyond mandatory grouping such as raids...

every player-player interaction is considered griefing and eliminated. this game won't be an MMO until you add massive open world PvP content which encourages players killing each other but is not directly about rewarding killing.

Cute, but not very bright...
Do you even know what MMO means? Don't answer that, I already know.. I suggest you google the term next time before writing nonsense.

First off, a special snowflake is only special so long as it's unique.. there's not much special snowflake when everyone runs around with the exact same setup.
Secondly, there has NEVER been immersion in MMO's when it comes to gear.. Never have and never will as there will always be several of the same item on your server and you will almost always bump into people having some or the exact same setup as you. Blizzard -severely- remedied that with transmogs.
Third of all, you have always been the hero of the game. In any game.. Certainly in MMO's - starting with bloody WoW and EQ 2.

Sorry, but like most other RP'ers.. Deal with it. I have.
01/09/2016 20:40Posted by Alurion
One of my (personal) favourite things about Legion is that so much of the experience can naturally be shared with other players now.

For example, mobs are faction-tapped now, so if you're out questing and you see someone who's pulled a bit too much and is struggling - you can jump in and help and you'll also get EXP and loot. Likewise if you see some players taking on an elite, you can jump right in and assist them, no need to be in a party anymore.

Gathering nodes are personal, so there's no need for people to be "that guy" who waits for someone to pull the mobs around the node, before running in and harvesting the node. Now you can help each other and both get the node.

Admittedly these might not be as grand in scale as invasions (for example), but they're still nice little changes that hopefully encourage more spontaneous playing together while out in the Broken Isles.

One problem with tap system is that it's not sharable across realms and most of zones are cross-realm zones :)

Another problem with tap system is that when someone taps the mob I'm attacking and doesn't loot it, I'm not able to skin tbem.
no need to be in a party anymore.

Your post makes a lot of good points but I'm confused why this is considered a good thing in an MMO?
02/09/2016 00:54Posted by Sooky
When is lfr gear coming back? I hope it is soon

Try with over a 4 week period starting the 27th (one week after normal/heroic/mythic is released) AND THANK GOD FOR THAT.. Horrible lfr should never have been added. If people want group content - go do dungeons. No need to water down raids so much that it's just a glorified fustercluck of afk'ers "raiding".
One of my (personal) favourite things about Legion is that so much of the experience can naturally be shared with other players now.

For example, mobs are faction-tapped now, so if you're out questing and you see someone who's pulled a bit too much and is struggling - you can jump in and help and you'll also get EXP and loot. Likewise if you see some players taking on an elite, you can jump right in and assist them, no need to be in a party anymore.

Admittedly these might not be as grand in scale as invasions (for example), but they're still nice little changes that hopefully encourage more spontaneous playing together while out in the Broken Isles.

this has nothing to do with the thing he's adressing, the storyline doesn't match an MMO

About time.
Other mmo's beat you too it.

I do agree people are alot more helpfull now.
But i though that was because most are fully grown adults now and not teenagers.

On topic:
Questing has always been solo content.
Unless you can play reguler with friends most of your time will be spend soloing stuff.
This is simply because different people are only at different times.

Being the choicen one is anoying but i try to remind myself that most npc arent inmortal, respawning weapons of mass destruction.
Because we the players do have stronger combat ability then the rank and file npc.
Better gear, better skills, we dont stay dead, etc.
An avarge stormwind soldier has what?
Auto attack?
Yes we are minnor heroes.
Sure we are deadly but we arent illidian, aldiun, tyrande, etc.
Npc have a reputation with every player.
Most will not have heard of malaficus the restoration druid.

See? This is exactly why people cry back the old World of Warcraft. The developers lost the WARCRAFT mindset. The two hostile factions helping each other... What the hell?

You should FIGHT for a rich mine node, or a loot from a rare spawn! You are getting constantly ganked while gathering? Ask or invite people to help you hunt down that scum alliance bastard, or ambush them while they are gathering some resource?

I will never forget the old Azuregos fights in Azshara where many guilds from the same factions had to group up to wipe out the opposide side before they can start the fight. It was a constant, thrilling experience. You always felt that WARCRAFT feeling.

Since mists of pandaria this game went into World of Friendcraft...
02/09/2016 08:02Posted by Axiós

See? This is exactly why people cry back the old World of Warcraft. The developers lost the WARCRAFT mindset. The two hostile factions helping each other... What the hell?
You should FIGHT for a rich mine node, or a loot from a rare spawn! You are getting constantly ganked while gathering? Ask or invite people to help you hunt down that scum alliance bastard, or ambush them while they are gathering some resource?

[/quote]

Mobs are faction tagged so if an opposite faction tags a mob first you dont get credit? thats how i understood it anyway?.

This system seems to encourage cooperation between same faction members which i think is good

Its also nice seeing class hall full, although it does look funny seeing dozens of paladins staring at a wall :)
I agree that in general it's better leveling so far, but I agree with the weirdness of the narrative.

It's just a bit hollow being told you're a special snowflake (love that term) when in fact you're not at all special in any way. I much prefer just being another holy cow soldier of the Horde (would love that in-game title, btw.) battling the Burning Legion rather than being told I'm special when I'm in fact, just like everyone else.
Hope they change it in the next expansions - Still enjoying the current one, though! ;)