Classic Server Update

General
1 2 3 74 Next
Hey everyone,

We’ve seen some talk among the community that you might be expecting to hear some news on legacy servers at BlizzCon, and we just wanted to take a moment to let you know that while we’re still discussing the possibility, we won’t have any updates to share on that until after the show.

These past few months we’ve been laser-focused on the launch of Legion and getting Patch 7.1: Return to Karazhan ready to go (it’s almost here!), as well as prepping for BlizzCon—which is always a huge undertaking itself. You’ve heard us say that the launch of Legion was just the beginning of the story we want to tell in this expansion. What we will focus on at BlizzCon is how the team is committed to making sure we bring you a steady stream of content going forward, and we can’t wait to share what’s next for Legion.

Thanks for your patience, and we’ll see you at BlizzCon.

-J. Allen Brack and the World of Warcraft development team
Well I think that hosting Realms with previous expansions won't be such an issue, since the client features old MPQ files and all you need to do is make a switch in the client like the PTR versions for all games.

Anyway Legion so far is very nise, but the reputation and world quests just started to get repetative and we get the 7.1 content, so awesome work and exited for Blizzcon updates!!!
for !@#$ sake... -.-
Too bad, legacy servers was the only thing I was looking forward at blizzcon.
I am dissapointed but not suprised. The community wants a proggresive legacy server and clearly we have stated that by posting alot bout Classic servers. Now it seems that Blizzard still does not want it to happen and just deals with it in a simple way, by just do a brief quick talk about it at Blizzcon, and then quickly move on to boring Legion stuff.

But i guess all we can do is wait for Blizzcon and pray for a miracle that Classic servers will be happening quickly
I am dissapointed but not suprised. The community wants a proggresive legacy server and clearly we have stated that by posting alot bout Classic servers. Now it seems that Blizzard still does not want it to happen and just deals with it in a simple way, by just do a brief quick talk about it at Blizzcon, and then quickly move on to boring Legion stuff.

But i guess all we can do is wait for Blizzcon and pray for a miracle that Classic servers will be happening quickly

You did read that they won't be addressing Legacy Servers at Blizzcon didn't you? I mean that's what this thread is about!
25/10/2016 10:30Posted by Decuma
25/10/2016 10:27Posted by Popelicious

You did read that they won't be addressing Legacy Servers at Blizzcon didn't you? I mean that's what this thread is about!

Yes, i know, doesnt mean i could still hope that they charge their mind and start TALKING bout it, the Q&A topic is full of legacy questions,

You think we don't, but we do.
Does the problem lies in convincing the corporate suits that they will make a profit out of this?
25/10/2016 10:32Posted by Popelicious
25/10/2016 10:30Posted by Decuma

Yes, i know, doesnt mean i could still hope that they charge their mind and start TALKING bout it, the Q&A topic is full of legacy questions,

You think we don't, but we do.

So....despite Blizzard clearly stating they aren't going to address them, you think they will anyway? Ok.
>Update
>There is no update

If there ever was a time to just not say anything, this was it. Thank you Blizzard, for the most pointless post you've ever had. Brack, you're not even trying.
25/10/2016 10:52Posted by Popelicious
>Update
>There is no update

If there ever was a time to just not say anything, this was it. Thank you Blizzard, for the most pointless post you've ever had. Brack, you're not even trying.

Actually te best time to mention something was just after Nostralius had their meeting with them, and Blizzard ignored them. Says all that needs to be said tbh, the only reason this subject has come up again is solely down to Nostralius threatening to open another server of their own...good luck to them on that as well. They must know Blizzard aren't going to open the official legacy servers, or they wouldn't be prepared to open their own again.

Well at least it stopped all the pro legacy wannabe's screaming when Blizzcon comes and goes without an announcement.
To get a better idea about how others react to this refer to the US counterpart of this topic
http://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20749678358
cya on nost boys
Some legion fanboy is disliking our Posts lol.
6 months since nost shutdown and you still havent even decided if you're gonna do it or not ... just really dissapointing
25/10/2016 11:56Posted by Habalion
6 months since nost shutdown and you still havent even decided if you're gonna do it or not ... just really dissapointing

Makes me wanna pull my hair honestly.
Blizzard has turned into a joke, but on the other hand I kind of understand, you are the slaves of Activision, and their goal is focused only on money, nothing else.
I guess that's just one way to tell the community to forget about legacy servers, because let's face it, if they weren't announcing legacy servers this Blizzcon it's pretty much over because they will be focusing on the next expansion next year. Who knows? maybe an expansion where we have become part of the Pantheon, and solo kill Sargeras? and some nice pay to win from the shop! :D

I am so done with it, just gonna kill some time on Kronos and wait for Nostalrius/Crestfall announcements, I rather give my money to them really, at least they try to provide something for the community.

As for all the hate comments and people that are just showing pure hate towards people that want previous expansion servers, just remember that we are part of the same community: the World of Warcraft community. That means we all joined this game at some point because there was something that we liked, and we share the same love for the same game. Why can't you just accept that some peolpe are unhappy with what the game has become today, and just want the older versions back because they prefer them? Don't tell those people they are rose tinted googled, most of them have been playing on Vanilla and TBC servers for the past couple years (i've been playing on Vanilla servers for 6 years), why do you think they still do? All this to say that, if you don't want to support us, at least don't try to act as Blizzard muppets and try to be an obstacle in something that will clearly not benefit you. In the same way that I support people asking for Elemental shamans rework, or DKs or anything like that, not because it affects me, but because I try to understand my fellow WoW player's struggle, I would love people to do the same with this struggle: the Legacy realm struggle.

Cya on Nost.
25/10/2016 08:56Posted by Fantasiola
Well I think that hosting Realms with previous expansions won't be such an issue, since the client features old MPQ files and all you need to do is make a switch in the client like the PTR versions for all games.

Anyway Legion so far is very nise, but the reputation and world quests just started to get repetative and we get the 7.1 content, so awesome work and exited for Blizzcon updates!!!

It's not as simple.

Blizzard's servers are not one PC sat in a room.

A realm contains many separate servers each doing something. these days each realm is less independent and links to instance servers - those didn't exist in vanilla.

You also have to look at the hardware. The vanilla code is over 12 years old so the hardware they run on might not even exist now.

Blizzards infrastructure has also changed greatly too. Remember the Battle.net changes they made prior to 7.0, they changed so much it caused issues for weeks. Since launch the backend stuff has probably been changed many many times and is not the same as it was in Vanilla.

This stuff can of course be fixed but it would take time to pick apart the code and change it for Blizzards more modern infrastructure. That's 12 years of work to fix.

Then we have the client. Would it work properly in Windows 10? Would they have to make changes like the did with WC3. most likely.

People complain about how cartoony WoW is but what do you think they would say about it being more like WC3.

lt's not even get into how fiscally unviable it would be.

It's not simple.
25/10/2016 10:38Posted by Eosferon
Does the problem lies in convincing the corporate suits that they will make a profit out of this?

Any one sensible enough knows that it's not viable in the long term.

People foprget how grindy and unfogiving vanilla is. looka t the QQ here about small rep grinds and having to do a few hours on alts to unlock world quests.

Imagine if most pieces of gear were like getting a legendary.

Bosses dropped a couple of pieces of gear - for 40 people.

If you wanted to do raiding you needed resist sets for certain encounters and that was a chore in itself.

There was no such thing as alts; getting to 60 was a long hard slog. Specs back then were not viable and I dont mean by 5%. Classes were pigeon-holed into specific roles as that's all they could do.

The above would drive players back to Legion. Give it a couple of months and then the server would be as good as empty. That is what the playerbase is.

The current vanilla resurgence is mostly lead by internet warriors supporting a cause just because they can. They would not put their money where their mouth is and blizzard knows this stuff.
25/10/2016 12:14Posted by Halanor
Why can't you just accept that some peolpe are unhappy with what the game has become today, and just want the older versions back because they prefer them?

In the same way some people should also accept that there are people that are happy with the game as it is now.

They're not necessarily fanboys as they are often called. A fanboy is someone that only praises and refuses to see/acknowledge the flaws and will try to justify them. Oppose and criticize everything that doesn't agree with them.

Those kind of players are on the pro-Classic side as well. Only seeing the good things and not (wanting to see) the bad things.