Classic Server Update

General
Prev 1 40 41 42 74 Next
15/09/2017 11:49Posted by Doomania
Aaaaaand my "Blizzcon 2017: legacy servers update?" thread was locked...guess we won't see anything during the blizzcon at all indeed...

It got deleted because it's a spam.

Multiple threads on the same topic will be deleted

When multiple threads cover the same topic we will typically leave one of them open, lock one with an explanation, and delete the rest. This is done to allow other topics to still have a place on the forums. Which thread is left open typically depends on the thread length and how constructive the first post and the thread in general are.

But at least now you can join the others in the orginal post.
Blizzard should do something like a crowdfunding event for vanilla. Then they will know if there is interest, and will get the funds to set up the servers. Then - they get subscriptions. This way they are not in danger of losing anything.
15/09/2017 12:47Posted by Laforge
Blizzard should do something like a crowdfunding event for vanilla. Then they will know if there is interest, and will get the funds to set up the servers. Then - they get subscriptions. This way they are not in danger of losing anything.

They know there is interest...a lot of interest.
I made this post in the other thread, I think it's worth reposting here

15/09/2017 10:06Posted by Terajo
15/09/2017 09:52Posted by Punyelf
I also agree many of those are unlikely to suddenly want to fork out for a subscription.

Nostalrius thrived on donations. Again, stop with this pretentious claim that legacy servers are only being played because they're free. Some people genuinely enjoy the older version over retail and are willing to pay the same way they donate to the illegal servers.

Exactly, and most people that want to play WoW vanilla and are currently playing it on a private server, have played it before, they did bought and pay for the game, and they did pay a subscription! As you said people were donating and it has nothing to do that they're now able to play the game for free! They play on a private server because there is no other way to play the game they once bought anymore!

I would still gladly pay a montly sub to play WoW vanilla, I would even accept if they required me to buy the latest expansion to continue to play on that server! It has nothing to do with money, it's the gameplay experience that's gone, the classic mmorpg feel that isn't anymore in the game.. I want to slow the hell down! I want to struggle with weapon skills, use my brain again and have to cc mobs! Even while just doing quest and group up and help other people out! I want to be a useful presence in the game and I want to see active chat of people looking for groups for group quests and dungeons..

And I want all the professions to be useful again, like cooking and first aid! And I really can't care less about the simple quests people nowdays call "dull" that just require you to kill x amount of boars or bears or whatever, I never cared about "interesting" quests in a mmorpg.. People that seem to care about this are just what I always thought people that never played a mmorpg before but are more singleplayer and multiplayer orientated gamers! An mmorpg always had grind in it and people that loved mmorpg's never saw it as something negative, it was keeping you busy and you always had change of getting a good drop + at the same time you simply work on your crafting and secondary professions, or simply made gold with selling those mats.

WoW Vanilla did all that perfectly, every single area where you were questing had so much useful stuff for your character and for crafting, your time spend just killing mobs was never a waste!
15/09/2017 13:52Posted by Damihoof
15/09/2017 13:35Posted by Doomania

They know there is interest...a lot of interest.

And they don't give a r@ts @rse ..... :_( :_(

It's fine, the biggest projects out there, whether they're in development or already out, understood that they had no choice but to have a Russian project owner thanks to the nostalrius and felmyst shutdown: elysium and crestfall are completely out of Blizzard's reach right now.

If there's literally 0 chance for official legacy servers, then at least there's an option for us...although I'd really prefer playing on blizzard's realms.
Aaaaaand my "Blizzcon 2017: legacy servers update?" thread was locked...guess we won't see anything during the blizzcon at all indeed...

They always lock the duplicate thread
15/09/2017 14:39Posted by Clarencia

They always lock the duplicate thread

So it would seem.
Make some vanilla servers with:
- dual talents (this is vital)

Also add:
- UI improvements (auction house, mail), auto-dismount
- guild bank
- flight path for alliance in Northern STV
- warlock soul shards stacking
- summoning stones

Optional (players can turn them off):
- achievements
- pet battles

and you will have a game for old players and new players to play for years.
15/09/2017 16:40Posted by Laforge

Also add:
- guild bank
- summoning stones

- achievements
- pet battles

As much as i generally like your suggestion, one thing stood out to me.

Lets say there are achievements but only for them who want them, i would definetly already see someone spamming in /2 with "LF X for Y, inv only with achievment".

Also add:
- guild bank
- summoning stones

- achievements
- pet battles

I'm against it: once you start doing all of this, this won't be vanilla or tbc anymore. This is one of the things that many players fear: Blizzard changing vanilla, tbc and, to a lesser extent, wotlk, to please the playerbase who like casual gaming.

I understand where you're coming from, but I can't follow you with that one :D
I personally would love legacy servers, I tried to come back to legion again but the modern version just isn't for me anymore(not saying it's bad).
15/09/2017 17:06Posted by Doomania

Also add:
- guild bank
- summoning stones

- achievements
- pet battles

I'm against it: once you start doing all of this, this won't be vanilla or tbc anymore. This is one of the things that many players fear: Blizzard changing vanilla, tbc and, to a lesser extent, wotlk, to please the playerbase who like casual gaming.

I understand where you're coming from, but I can't follow you with that one :D

Such small things wouldn't bother me personally. But if they would add things that really affect gameplay like lfg and lfr then I would be extremely against it.
13/09/2017 16:06Posted by Vasilyeva
But hear me out, why not petition blizzard for hardcore servers rather a vanilla server?

Alright, gonna try this one more time because you are truly making an effort which I appreciate (just got a tiny quote from a big post, so this one line of text is quite out of context).

It's not just 'hardcore' it is also immersive in ways that the current game lacks right now, like the way talents work or ranked spells which you can downgrade to deal with mana issues. In the last example you could basically make your own style healer depending on what you downgraded. It made it feel dynamic, and it also gave you a ton of spells (every rank was potentially a spell).

This is just one example but the current day two button interchangeable classes are not gonna cut it in hardcore either. This game became diablo, not the mmorpg it was. Hack and slash is fun but it is its own genre for a reason.

14/09/2017 07:24Posted by Nazderos
eww old stinking game.. no please don't do it I don't want it

Eeew I don't like the next incoming shopmount, don't do it I don't want it! See how stupid that sounds?

14/09/2017 12:13Posted by Grinderr
Having played since vanilla I think there are 2 important things many people seem to forget:

STOP saying people don't know what they are talking about when there are clearly servers up right now!

You can post what you think, but stop posting what others think. This is not directly aimed at the poster I quoted, btw, it is aimed at every single bugger that seems to think they can make up what other people opinions should be. It's sad. It's sad that the only thing you've got is "you don't want it" and "you seem to have forgotten...". Well, you've seemed to have missed about every single post in this thread because it's been shown many times that people know exactly what they are talking about.
14/09/2017 07:24Posted by Nazderos
eww old stinking game.. no please don't do it I don't want it

Then don't play it?
Having played since vanilla I think there are 2 important things many people seem to forget:

1. Quality of life changes (Most people can probably agree this is for the better)
- 2.5 sec mount cast -> 1.5 sec cast
- Automatic dismounting when you cast any spell
- Automatic auto-attack (as melee class) when you cast any spell
- Mass looting
- Map in dungeons
- Having to learn skills in maces/swords each time after a respecc (for certain classes)

2. Change in game-philosophy
The first thing that comes to mind of the old honor system. I remember many people were outraged (news outlets as well) that it was causing gaming addiction. You were getting punished for not playing by losing your rank. Having reached rank 10 while having school during the day I remember how stressful it was. When the TBC honor system arrived I can clearly remember how many people thought this was for the better.

Even though I would love to play on a vanilla server, Blizzard probably feels it's hard to re-release.

All the things you listed as changes 'for the good' are things I think were changed for the bad

Also add:
- guild bank
- summoning stones

- achievements
- pet battles

No - vanilla = vanilla. No QoL improvements else it's not vanilla
15/09/2017 22:56Posted by Magentias

1. Quality of life changes (Most people can probably agree this is for the better)
- 2.5 sec mount cast -> 1.5 sec cast
- Automatic dismounting when you cast any spell
- Automatic auto-attack (as melee class) when you cast any spell
- Mass looting
- Map in dungeons
- Having to learn skills in maces/swords each time after a respecc (for certain classes)

2. Change in game-philosophy
The first thing that comes to mind of the old honor system. I remember many people were outraged (news outlets as well) that it was causing gaming addiction. You were getting punished for not playing by losing your rank. Having reached rank 10 while having school during the day I remember how stressful it was. When the TBC honor system arrived I can clearly remember how many people thought this was for the better.

Even though I would love to play on a vanilla server, Blizzard probably feels it's hard to re-release.

All the things you listed as changes 'for the good' are things I think were changed for the bad
That's because your an eagy hipster all ways has to be the outcast
16/09/2017 00:06Posted by Dreaddolly
15/09/2017 22:56Posted by Magentias

That's because your an eagy hipster all ways has to be the outcast

What's 'eagy'?