Private Vanilla Realm illegal?

General
Are the vanilla world of warcraft server illegal to play?
Will someone who plays vanilla server get banned from the battle.net?
My friend wants to try it but I don't know if its legal or save.
Sorry if this is not allowed to talk about this topic, I just wanna know if its save to play or should I discourage using vanilla servers.
Yes, they are against the law to play on and run, people say they aren't due to it being old content but they are, they break copyright and trademark law. Nost closed down a long time ago and moved it's customers to another pirate realm.

They are also against the Terms of Use so Blizzard can ban anyone for using them, whether they do or not is up for debate.

Many would like to see Blizzard open up an old expansion realm but at the moment it looks like they won't.
Reading the Terms of Use too hard?
22/12/2016 08:15Posted by Dottie
Yes, they are against the law to play on and run, people say they aren't due to it being old content but they are, they break copyright and trademark law. Nost closed down a long time ago and moved it's customers to another pirate realm.

They are also against the Terms of Use so Blizzard can ban anyone for using them, whether they do or not is up for debate.

Many would like to see Blizzard open up an old expansion realm but at the moment it looks like they won't.

Thank you so much, then I know for sure, I already thought it was illegal, but needed this confirmation. Thanks, I will discourage all use of private realms.
22/12/2016 08:16Posted by Kaysha

I think you guys have a better understanding of Law than me.
Yes, they are against the law to play on and run,

It is against the law in "most" countries to run it, but I'm fairly sure it's not illegal to play on it. Definitely against the ToU though.
22/12/2016 08:23Posted by Karzara
It is against the law in "most" countries to run it, but I'm fairly sure it's not illegal to play on it. Definitely against the ToU though.

You do realise that Blizzard can lawfully request the IP and logon info from the pirate realm using a legal document then demand the Internet provider ban the players for breaching copyright?
22/12/2016 08:56Posted by Dottie
22/12/2016 08:23Posted by Karzara

You do realise that Blizzard can lawfully request the IP and logon info from the pirate realm using a legal document then demand the Internet provider ban the players for breaching copyright?

Which they'd never do.

You can only prove it was accessed from x IP address.
You have no plausible evidence to suggest who was playing at the time. There are way to many loopholes for anyone to try and ban players under a simple port address and logon. Not to mention the amount x player could deny it.

That would be a ridiculously foolish move by Blizzard.
illegal :DD yeah watch out CIA, FBI, NPA, NHL, KHL and everyone is monitoring you and rdy to throw you jail if you play on vanilla.

Sarcasm off.

Its not "illegal". You can do what ever you want to.
22/12/2016 08:56Posted by Dottie

Which doesn't fly unless it goes trough the court in the country of that person, were it will be denied in pretty much all of Europe, since it's not actually a crime in the vast majority of countries.
22/12/2016 09:09Posted by Rolund
You can only prove it was accessed from x IP address.

They can prove the IP address and when, the ISP can then look it up and say which account was using it at the time, I worked at one and we could look up who was using an IP address to 1/1000 of a second. The account holder is liable for any misuse of an account, that's in the legal terms and conditions from the ISP.

22/12/2016 09:17Posted by Karzara
Which doesn't fly unless it goes trough the court in the country of that person, were it will be denied in pretty much all of Europe, since it's not actually a crime in the vast majority of countries.

Again, I worked for and ISP and we got information on times and dates when People were uploading Films to file sharing programs and sites and had to, by law, stop them or be held liable. I bet that Blizzard copyright Warcraft in every country they supply to and these servers break copyright law.
22/12/2016 10:29Posted by Dottie
Again, I worked for and ISP and we got information on times and dates when People were uploading Films to file sharing programs and sites and had to, by law, stop them or be held liable

And again, laws differ between countries. ISP:s in my country has no obligation to do anything unless the cops go to the courts and get a warrant, and that only ever happen if the crime at minimum gives jailtime.

My ISP actually called me because their main router was acting up in my building and kindly asked me to limit my torrent use to a 1000 connections or less.

I bet that Blizzard copyright Warcraft in every country they supply to and these servers break copyright law.

Certainly they do, doesn't really matter at all if the country does not actually have laws that make the unlicensed use of it a crime.
Again, I worked for and ISP and we got information on times and dates when People were uploading Films to file sharing programs and sites and had to, by law, stop them or be held liable. I bet that Blizzard copyright Warcraft in every country they supply to and these servers break copyright law.

not to be rude but even if my isp watches me share a movie called what ever movie is hot at the time in denmark they cant even touch me for doing it unless they come and take my computer to watch what is in that file
Blizzard is much too smart for such idiocy.

First, you can get a warrent to expose IP's, only in case of a criminal act.
And with all due respect, playing a private server (rather then activating it) is at most a civil breech of the code of use, thus the civial contract between Blizz and the user.

Not even talking about the bad PR involved in chasing private users.

From what I see till now, Blizzard wasn't too quick even to do something much more easier - like Banning player that admited and boasted in Blizzard own forums/chat that they play Nost.

As a rule, Blizzard isn't that quick to ban paying subs. Seems they will keep that treatement only to accounts that they will have impression that they are activily advertising Nost or part of their crew or so.

-----
Btw... in case you wonder, I don't play Nost (though i would defiently give a try to official legacy if Blizz would relese them). And my sub runs out in 8.1.2017 and i'm not renewing it till the game (current, not legacy) will change its direction.

It's not against the law to play on it. There is no legal recourse blizzard can take against you. Like piracy - it's not against the law to own a pirate video but it is against the law to sell one. The owner can confiscate it but you can't be prosecuted. Using the same argument blizzard couldn't prosecute you for playing on a private server, but they could prosecute the hosting party and shut it down thus you lose your goods.
What is so hard to grasp of the concept of copyright infringement ?
22/12/2016 08:09Posted by Kanzeth
My friend wants to try it but I don't know if its legal or save

I also want to know cause my friends cousins sisters bff's bf's dad's uncle are intrested aswell!

On a side not, it's against blizzards terms of use. but the chance that you actually will get banned for it is really really... well slim, more like 0 to non...

They usualy goes after the actual hosts of the servers, simular to people who uses torrents, the gouverments usualy punish the uploaders not the downloaders
22/12/2016 11:00Posted by Jegfryser
not to be rude but even if my isp watches me share a movie called what ever movie is hot at the time in denmark they cant even touch me for doing it unless they come and take my computer to watch what is in that file

If you don't know what you are talking about, don't post. They disable your ISP account. It's not your ISP that does the snooping, it's the company that owns the copyright, they download a portion of the film from you and test it, if it's found to be breaking their copyright, they contact the ISP. They will know what they can and can't do in your country.
... In other words, play one if you want but don't tell anybody in WoW, especially not on these forums where pitchforks are held at your throat the moment you mention the words "vanilla" "private server" "legacy server".
22/12/2016 08:19Posted by Kanzeth
22/12/2016 08:16Posted by Kaysha

I think you guys have a better understanding of Law than me.

Worst thing that can happen to you personally is that the time you invest into a private realm will be wasted if that Realm is shut down.

Other than that there is nothing that can happen to you.