why there is so few tanks

General
Tanks set the pace of dungeons. Unlike healers or DPS, they need to not only know the fights but they need to know where to go, what to pull and what to avoid. I'm terrible with that sort of thing, even if I've done a dungeon many times as a DPS or healer, so I choose not to tank.

I have done a (very) small amount of tanking as a blood DK and guardian druid but I always found it more stressful and less enjoyable than the other two roles. I know I can DPS, interrupt and avoid standing in things. I also know I can heal people pretty reliably. But when I tank, I'm always wondering if I'm going too fast or too slow, or if I'm really going the right way or not. I'd rather not find out the answer by getting yelled at and called names by someone in a pug group (something I see happening to tanks all too often in dungeons).

At some point in Legion, I hope to level my bear and try tanking with that. But if I do, I'll probably only tank for guildies - in which case, I won't be helping the long queue times all that much.
Actually, it depends on, and needs a little judgement on the tank side. I've misjudged both directions, and went too fast causing wipes / almost causing wipes and too slow where my healer asked me if i could get on a bit faster ^^.

I usually pull the first two packs and see what healer and DPS are doing, and decide on a pace I want to go. If the DPS is still pulling, I simply don't take the mobs of them (will be hard after 7.1.5 when thunderclap moves ST rotation), but only of the healer if he gets aggro. Holding 4+ mobs ST rotation is not that hard afterall - though, not fun either.

I've to say, either they learn fast or leave fast (and insult you on the way out - but that you can securely ignore).

My 2c.
That feel when you're the only one with a tank alt in your group of friends and they always want you to play it even if you just want to lol about on your Rogue :(
I believe though it's a personal opinion here that it's just not fun to tank when you're doing random dungeons or raids. And depending if you know some people within a guild it can also be okay or not in trying to learn to tank more effectively as well. That is a community problem which won't fix itself until it becomes less toxic.

The most important part of any dungeon run is the co-operation between Tank and Healer. Neither can survive without the other and those two are best to set the speed of the instance run between fights.

Quite a few wipes would be avoided completely if that above was taken into account. Not everything has to be a race to get things beaten to death within seconds.

But its the main reason why tanks and healers will always be much lower than dps. But overall it's the way people react in such random encounters. Why bother being polite if you're never really going to meet them again.

Blizzard really needs to sort this problem out, they clearly made this problem other the years but without any solution to at least halt this behavior.
02/01/2017 11:14Posted by Namio
Hardly anyone plays this game anymore that's why :)

Confirmed. Last time I did a random dungeon I had to wait 50 (!!!) seconds for the queue to pop. Horrible.
02/01/2017 16:53Posted by Gitzuk
02/01/2017 11:14Posted by Namio
Hardly anyone plays this game anymore that's why :)

Confirmed. Last time I did a random dungeon I had to wait 50 (!!!) seconds for the queue to pop. Horrible.

Anything more than 30 seconds makes me quiver, send help :c
its the same reason as there are very few warlocks at the mo.

either bliz screwed up on the rework (warlocks)

or they have been nerfed every quick patch because they make the dps guys look inferior on the aoe dps meters (blood dk)

you also need to factor in all the reworks to the tank classes from wod.
this changed the way that they played and diminished the "fun" factor for many tanks. ive stoped playing my pala and my druid tank because of the reworks. (but thats just me)

also alts are less viable or almost impossible right now in wow.
this is important because tank players are a little bit diffrent to other wow players.

they dont care about anything other than raiding and change class to a diffrent tank at the drop of a hat if that type of tank is more powerfull/usefull for a boss

so they usaly have like 2-4 tanks incase. often i only find the tank ilike for the raid teir about halfway though the raid teir then main that through the rest of the xpac. but you cant do that in legion

there is also more content to tank.(mythic+ being the best example) and more of its not in lfr/lfd (which is why there is long ques) they are in the higher difficultys where there is no matchmaking tool. that also depletes the pool of tank players

then u have the fact that they are getting nerfed really hard so they cant lvl as tank spec as esialy anymore.

just a few of the reasons there are less tanks

but bliz would have to give us some numbers for the real picture to show up. as there could be more tanks but less of them in lfd/lfr without the data we the community cant know for sure. but it damn feels like there are less tanks

AND CERTAINLY LESS WARLOCKS
So yesterday was trying my pala out for tanking in level 102 got 1128k hp

Had a few 110s in group one kept pulling more and more mobs while i was tanking asked him to stop he kept doing it so i let him die and i got dogs abuse told its my job to pick up adds and to take agro no matter who pulls he was a lock and kept pulling out his tanking pets ect so when i called him on it all 3 dps got on my case so i left the dungon to what i got whispers of abuse from the scub lords thats why you have so little tanks

Generally you should change your attitude towards your buddies, you're most important person in party, when healer fails to keep you alive either damage dealer ninja pulls additional trash pack wiping you then instantly leave. At least what I'm doing in timed mythics to punish their stupidity. Whenever some retards ninja pulls extra trash let them tank it. Never corpse run if you die, wait for resurrection and never sorry for mistakes.
That's my life devise for you.
02/01/2017 21:34Posted by Ângelîque
Generally you should change your attitude towards your buddies, you're most important person in party

So your advice is be a reprehensible piece of !@#$ towards everyone?

Like you're going to leave a Mythic+ and screw someone's stone because of a Ninja Pull? :D
02/01/2017 21:49Posted by Entaari

Like you're going to leave a Mythic+ and screw someone's stone because of a Ninja Pull? :D

Yeah doing that whenever they wipe me especially when they do it with premeditation to speed up the run.
Yesterday was doing Eye of Azshara Level 7 and retard mage was constantly complaining about me, even convinced leader to kick me on last boss when encounter starts so I don't get chests. Quickly realized that and leaped away from boss so main aggro went on damage dealers and wiped them, got ported out before boss turned attention back to me. Leader wanted to reinv me but declined. People are bastards and you need to be same as them.
02/01/2017 22:04Posted by Ângelîque
Leader wanted to reinv me but declined. People are bastards and you need to be same as them.

I think you did right in that said scenario, but leaving after a ninja pull seems like an overkill.
There is only need for 2 tanks per rosters , so in proportion the tank population being lesser than the rest is logical.
Hmm so yes ... On my DK you had the 2 main tanks, and usually the 2 alt raid tanks.
This meaning, the times I got to tank even norm En was miniscule I think I tanked it twice.

So basicly I leech raids for gear noone wants and then end up tanking mythic/+ which is not so great.

But leveling my offspec weapon wasnt really that hard, sure it was annoying but oh well, would be better if the AP was shared between weapons, but I do see that bein a bit problematic.

Now then, with guild tank oppertunities and weapons bein sorted ... "tank gear is different"

Blood DK Crit/Has for balanced set .. Frost Crit/Has ... Unholy Crit/Has
Prot Warr Has/Vers>=Mas ... Fury Has/Mas/Vers ... Arms Mas/Has/Vers
Prot Pala Has/Vers/Mas ... Retri Has/Crit=Vers ... Holy Crit/Vers/Mas/Has
Dorkhuntard venge Vers/Has/Mas/Crit ... havoc Crit/Vers/Has/Mas
Druid well melee wanting Mas/Vers/Crit while casters Haste/Crit more so

So its not even "that" huge item problem.

For me it really comes down to PEOPLE.

Unless you know the group its fine, but as so many said previously ... People pull pull pull and then blame you.

My most typical thing to do, is let people pull, stay further away, let them die and then leave.

Back in vanilla this wasnt a problem, people died so much easier in dungeons and raids that Tanks were let to do their job.

Personally I see the same cancer infecting all roles, ELITISM ... but its not just with roles, its also with idiots wanting too high ILVL +++.

2 Tanks 3 Healers 9 DPS ... that also should give a hint to why there are so few tanks ... or 2 Tanks 5 Healers 20 DPS either way you go, only 2 tanks.

But I still say the problem lies with people bein retards on too many occations.
It's not with the introduction of Mythic + that tanks/people are speeding through dungeons, it's always been like that. I remember as a protection (paladin) at the end of Wotlk, we didn't even get a healer for our heroic dungeon runs, 4 DPS and me as a tank.

There are tanks out there that enjoy doing dungeons fast, who love to gather up 20+ mobs at once and use every tool that you have available to survive that situation. Mythic + is rewarding that playstyle, and I happen to be thankful for that.

The tank is not the most important person in the group, everyone is equally important, the tank just happens to be the leader most of the time. I'm saying this as someone who have 3 different tanks at 110 and loving to tank just as much now as I did back in the other expansion, perhaps even more with the introduction of mythic +.

It's not all bad, don't give up, ignore the abusive people, practice and learn, soon you'll be throwing yourself headless into danger with a grin on your lips and your heart pumping with adrenaline.
03/01/2017 03:32Posted by Chronos
It's not with the introduction of Mythic + that tanks/people are speeding through dungeons, it's always been like that. I remember as a protection (paladin) at the end of Wotlk, we didn't even get a healer for our heroic dungeon runs, 4 DPS and me as a tank.

There are tanks out there that enjoy doing dungeons fast, who love to gather up 20+ mobs at once and use every tool that you have available to survive that situation. Mythic + is rewarding that playstyle, and I happen to be thankful for that.

The tank is not the most important person in the group, everyone is equally important, the tank just happens to be the leader most of the time. I'm saying this as someone who have 3 different tanks at 110 and loving to tank just as much now as I did back in the other expansion, perhaps even more with the introduction of mythic +.

It's not all bad, don't give up, ignore the abusive people, practice and learn, soon you'll be throwing yourself headless into danger with a grin on your lips and your heart pumping with adrenaline.

this was upvoted, but i had to downvote because of it being incorrect about m+ sometimes ofcourse for the obvious modifier reasons.
03/01/2017 06:07Posted by Draainaai
this was upvoted, but i had to downvote because of it being incorrect about m+ sometimes ofcourse for the obvious modifier reasons.

Keep focussing the trash with the highest health (kill nothing). When they are all very low you can aoe them to death. Bolstering gives bonus for the current health, not the maximum. So yes. More work for the tank (and healer).
Honestly i'm sick of tanking in legion, and the affixes especially. As a tank you can't deal with them in interesting ways.

For bolstering all i can do is slow down the run. I cannot really single target to help damage spread because almost everything i do (more so if i want to mitigate/self heal well) does cleave/aoe damage.

For teeming, all i can do is mark mobs for kill order, be more liberal with cooldowns and inevitably want to nerd rage as i realise less than half pug dps follow the marks.

For skittish, it means i hang around a bit more, which doesn't really annoy me much.

For necrotic I feel lucky i got the legendary cloak that will effectively wipe it every minute, or i have to kite which just feels awful as a tank.

For raging, see bolstering.

For sanguine, all i can do is move slightly after a death and then start getting annoyed when i don't have enough death grips for the mobs because, again, pug dps don't always follow the kill order.

For overflowing, all i can do is try and heal myself when the healer ineivtably doesn't understand how blood dk's work and puts a massive healing absorb on me.

And finally volcanic, all i can do is occasionally dodge fireballs under my feet because some idiot decided to overpull when my AoE is on cd.

As a dps, these mechanics make the dungeon more interesting. As a tank, they just make it more frustrating. Add in the annoyances of the spec and it's hardly surprising there are so few tanks.
03/01/2017 03:32Posted by Chronos
paladin) at the end of Wotlk, we didn't even get a healer for our heroic dungeon runs, 4 DPS and me as a tank.

WoTLK had faceroll Dungeons, not really comparable, especially with the Affixes.
03/01/2017 08:21Posted by Tsjoh
03/01/2017 06:07Posted by Draainaai

Keep focussing the trash with the highest health (kill nothing). When they are all very low you can aoe them to death. Bolstering gives bonus for the current health, not the maximum. So yes. More work for the tank (and healer).

that's about coordinated with people you know well yes, topic isn't about that, but i still like to see him pull 20+ as he states on bolstering, he may even do it on lowest level :D so 4
But actualy it needs to be with randoms to make his post have any on topic value.
Randoms can't even kill 2 at the same time sometimes :D
Tanking is alright but it gets really boring if you pug a group with really low damage.