Struggles of a new player

General
Hello!

I´ve been playing WoW for over a year but in many ways, I still feel like a new player.
In WoD, I did mostly solo content because I find that more enjoyable, but in Legion the game is encouraging me to do more group content which is mostly fine but I´ve had few very bad experiences.

I´ll share two of them (the first from WoD):

BC Timewalking – In one of the dungeons, there are mobs that can cast fear on you. It happened to me and because of that I pulled extra mobs that could have been avoided. I apologised but the tank made a huge deal out of it and spent next few minutes saying things like „this has been in the *beep* game for the last ten years and some *beep* *beep* still didn´t get the memo“ and „*beep* mages can´t even use their *beep* ice block“. When I pointed out that I´d only been playing for few months and didn´t know the dungeon so well, they laughed, called me a *beep* noob and tried to kick me out of the group.

Isle of Conquest - I went to the hangar and with three allies won an epic battle against five hordies (I sucked at PvP in beginning of Legion but I´m getting better so it´s much more enjoyable). Then I had three people whisper me that I lost them the game, I should uninstall and other mean things. I scrolled up in my chat window and noticed that they called for heroism/time warp and there were no shamans there and I was the only mage and I wasn´t reading the chat. It definitely was a mistake, I´m not saying it wasn´t, I should know when to cast time warp and not assume there are other people to cast it even though there usually are. But the whispers and the abuse in the chat felt too much. I didn´t break WoW, I didn´t invite the Legion, I didn´t kill Vol´jin and Varian, I just didn´t cast time warp. I apologised and I´ll be more careful in the future, yelling and insulting me won´t help.

I know that there are more veterans than us new players but please, can you be aware of the fact that not everyone has been here since vanilla? Give us time and opportunity to learn and accept that making mistakes is part of learning. We can´t learn if you kick us from groups or communicate with us in a way which makes us want to stop playing. You were noob once and made mistakes too.
I´m not asking to be carried, I read guides and work on my performance but I wasn´t born with the ability to play WoW perfectly.

TL;DR I´ve been playing since WoD and I sometimes suck. Give me time to learn and I will suck less.
I've been playing since TBC, and I'd still not notice stuff in chat in bgs :P. As for fearing mobs in dungeons, !@#$ happens to everybody.

I see little indication that you suck. Just gloss over people that take a game way too seriously.
This kind of behavior has been going on for years and Blizz have blissfully ignored it. I've had a few instances over the past few weeks were there has been votes to kick people and I always click 'No' mainly because the reasons are stupid. @He's a noob' is not a valid excuse to kick somebody from a group. Just keep on playing and getting better and forget the idiots. Also you could solo some older dungeons and raids and get a feel for how mechanics go.
People are always mean when it comes to stuff like that.. I just ignore them (I advise you do as well)

I'd personally ignore any of them.. if they're like that..

For the BG (Worst BG alongside AV) - It's called getting spammed out by other people talking = Not your fault.

Dungeon = Tank was just a hater? <-- Idk everything gets censored XD" in which, I wouldn't take it to heart as most players would be willing to teach you etc.
I play for over 10 years , and i can say with certainty that i play the game worse now than i played in the beginning.

Back than i was into serious raiding and guild progress, so i had to have bis items, best enchants, perfect rotation ... etc ...

Now i just play casually, without all enchants, with random rotation ... etc ...

I actually have more fun now playing Return to Karazan casually with a few friends than i did before when i played more serious.

So my advice is - play the way you like, enjoy the game, and just ignore people who give you grief.
Think you're over-stating the bad encounters tbh. You had to go back to WoD for one of your examples. There will always be bad runs and I bet you'd agree the vast majority of your runs went without issue.
21/12/2016 21:03Posted by Keg
Think you're over-stating the bad encounters tbh. You had to go back to WoD for one of your examples. There will always be bad runs and I bet you'd agree the vast majority of your runs went without issue.

Negatives always stick out more.

Totally agree with OP, I think far more people should give people a second thought before harrassing over the internet.
OP trust me on this - there are a lot of 'veterans' who are still making the same mistakes you do. It's called human error ^^

If people can't get over that, why are they playing a game ?
Try to ignore this sort of people. The way they gave their feedback was rubbish. They didn't care about helping you to understand significance of certain situation. They just had a go at you over the internet.

People pull adds in dungeons often. Some by accident, some on purpose. Good tank will be prepared for extras. I am ready as a healer every time when there is chance of bonus adds :). Bring it on! You even apologized. Raging in dungeon over trivial issue makes me chuckle. "Hur dur ima big tank, pro since installing the game."

As for random bg, there is always someone that feels the need to tell other people how to play and shout "N00BZ it's lost, just leave". I would encourage checking what objective is on each bg (you probably know it any way) and playing the way you enjoy the most whilst supporting objective. You don't have to please everyone on your team. If after a game on loading screen you can think - " I did some cool stuff there" it's all good :)

Chin up cute mage! Xxx
21/12/2016 21:12Posted by Rolund
Negatives always stick out more.

That was exactly my point. -4 for me, +2 for you. Welcome to the forums :D
I returned to WoW for Legion after playing for 10+ years on and off, and had a very similar experience to you Anni today, while playing my Mage.

I was asked for a food table - I didn't see the request because there was so much other text that it scrolled off the screen! He then started to use abusive language, calling me *** etc and I was kicked!

Unfortunately there are some nasty, immature people who spoil the game for everyone else. This is why I hate dungeons, and that Blizzard forces us to do them for profession quests.

So it happens to all of us, and I do sympathise with you!
21/12/2016 17:34Posted by Anniy
BC Timewalking – In one of the dungeons, there are mobs that can cast fear on you. It happened to me and because of that I pulled extra mobs that could have been avoided. I apologised but the tank made a huge deal out of it and spent next few minutes saying things like „this has been in the *beep* game for the last ten years and some *beep* *beep* still didn´t get the memo“ and „*beep* mages can´t even use their *beep* ice block“. When I pointed out that I´d only been playing for few months and didn´t know the dungeon so well, they laughed, called me a *beep* noob and tried to kick me out of the group.

Sounds like bad tanking providing you weren't miles away from the group.

21/12/2016 17:34Posted by Anniy
I should know when to cast time warp and not assume there are other people to cast it even though there usually are.

However... these examples you have demonstrated a lack of understanding of your class. A year is enough time to know what time warp is and the use of ice block, of of the most powerful cooldowns in the game.

Take time to learn about your class properly before you embark on group content.
As someone who has played this game for a long, long time I have two pieces of advice.
First of, don't look to much into to a few seperate negative experiences. Generally people who make a big deal out of mistakes and isolated things like that are just arses that you shouldn't pay too much attention towards. Just look past them, and you'll find that the vast majority of the playerbase are normal and friendly people. Don't become one of those "I had one bad experience 2 expansions ago, so I'm never going to do a single mythic dungeon ever" people. :D
As for becomming better at the game, moments like these are great learning events. It generally takes fcking up a couple of times to learn how to properly handle a situation (Ice Block-ing a fear, for example :P). Same goes for Time Warp, in a proper group you'll be told when, and in PuGs it's mostly a matter of when you feel it'll be a good time. "If I Time Warp at the first and last boss I get to use it twice", "If I Ice Block this debuff it'll save my healer mana". Just make sure you're always looking to learn and improve and you'll be a mythic raider in no time.

Best advice anyone can ever give you is: join a good and active guild, and don't be scared to swap guilds if it means making your game better. A >good< guild makes for a great place to learn and improve, as well as a good way to avoid the more unpleasant players. As someone who has a lot of trouble with social interactions I truely know it's daunting at first, but absolutely totally worth it in the long run.
Its not just new players douchebags will be douchebags to older players too idiots won't discriminate they will be a**holes to everybody and cry and moan about anything they can think of my advice is just ignore the douchebags those kind of people will never learn and replying anything to them just fuels the fire.
Please join us here

https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/17613452300#post-1

We've all had more than enough of behaviour like that. You'll be welcomed with open arms!
22/12/2016 00:04Posted by Someoneelse
Take time to learn about your class properly before you embark on group content.

Once has to be the first time. You can read guides, you can watch youtubes, you can know everything; but you have to practice it.

You say practice group content before you go to group content.

And what does it matter when things went a bit wrong. You wipe and try again. It is a game!
I was doing a WQ in Suramar yesterday and targeted accidentally some same mobs as annother player and I was faster... I had that aoe spell where you send 3 withered to ShalAran he had the single target one...

Well he wispered me something rude, I reported him for language and went ony with my business... I mean there is no need to get upset over such ppl.... just report and ignore them and enjoy the times when ppl are nice...
22/12/2016 07:35Posted by Pelamina
Please join us here

https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/17613452300#post-1

We've all had more than enough of behaviour like that. You'll be welcomed with open arms!

Nice, I´ll check that out.