Sad at underplayed Night Elven developments

Story
I'm disappointed blizzard lore after introducing the nightborne so emphatically have failed to explore the extraordinary implications the return of this developed night elf highborne group called the nightborne would have amongst the rest of the night elven community, in particular the Shen'dralar Highborne and the Night Elves.

It's got to be the most significant event for the night elves (much moreso than the high/blood elves altho it bears some relevance to them too) since the Sundering, to see a fully functioning part of the arcane empire, fully intact and vibrant when they had thought all of that had perished and nothing remained.

While the immediate threat of world disaster at the invading legion is the matter that must first be addressed, especially heeding the nightborne Thalyssra's message for help to prevent the legion gaining the power of the nightwell to carry out its nefarious plans - I feel much more could have and should be shown to map out how quite significant Suramar and the nightborne, the revelation of the Legion's true goal, Illidan not actually having betrayed and the healing of the magic imbalance or addiction of night elf kind by the Arcan'dor has.

To me, this is the biggest defining moment for the night elves since the Sundering, because of what all these implications mean, and the cover and presumptions they spent the last 10,000 years on, the things that defined their actions, motivations and beliefs are significantly impacted as the truth about it all is coming to light. It's got to have enormous ramifications for their spirit and their drive.

So far they've been reclusive, fatalistic, depressed, consumed only by what they felt is their only reason for living - which was not to live or thrive, but to protec the world from their error - they cast a long long shadow on their former lives, and despised their hubris, but likely also their achievments and the very core of what made them them - their ambition, their love, their drive all went 10k years ago. Since then they've depended on Ysera's gift to uphold their spirits, and literally abandoned rebuilding themselves to carry out their charge.

After the 3rd war they lost the gift of the tree, and slumped into a depression, their usual fire gone, the memory of the past haunting them or causing a longing that could never be fulfilled by their own choice based on what they knew. Knowledge we know is incomplete and is about to be revealed for the first time.

They are not the only ones however, the city of Eldre'thalas had a large community of highborne who were not part of the Hyjal survivors and thus not of the high elf exodus, they endured to rejoin the night elf community as a separate but allied group 10,000 years after the event, they cannot be ignored either, as to them, the events of World of Warcraft Legion impact most significantly and to my disappointment blizzard's writers haven't even bothered to write their role.

The Shen'dralar
The shen'dralar have a more fatalistic feel to them, Estulan is described as being quite reclusive and reflective in a similar manner to how all night elves were originally described - you can't help but think this due to how far Eldre'thalas had fallen and the night elven people as a whole.

He off coruse and the other highborne would remember this all too well, how great and a force for good it had once been before the greedy grab the addiction caused which led to the arrival of the legion, the destruction and sundering. They find themselves in a wolrd a shadow of what it once was. THe night elves in contrast had embraced this a long time ago, and given up on the arcane dream as they banned themselves from using magic, but the highborne never did - hence the forlorn look.

This is why Suramar and the nightborne are very intersting to night elf lore and it's a crying shame their effect on the minds and hearts of the night elves and highborne have not been explored at all, because they represent a significant shift, or should do.

The Highborne Reaction
- to find out a bastion of night elf arcana that hasn't fallen but still exists in it's glroy should be like salvation and the breaking of dawn (or more appropriately dusk) for the shen'dralar highborne. A hope beyond their wildest dreams, because a city survived, and their kin did too, uncorrupted by the evil that plagued Azshara - though they have their own issue.

The hope and strength to recover, rebuild, preserve the legacy of the greatness of the night elves and elevate the world again, but this time correctly woudl be like a jewel and treasure they would dedicate everything to helping. I would imagine that they would be the most dedicated and tenacious of the elven groups to help Thalyssra destroy the demons, unseat Ellisande and save the city and the nightwell, given it's potential to help rebuild Eldre'thalas too and all of night elf kind or elves of the night.

So their absence is nothing short of a stunning oversight.

The night elves:
They are present ( i mean the nature alliance orientated lot - not necessarily the broken isle lot) - they are also to be profoundly impacted by all this. Suramar was their home before the sundering, that it survived intact and the friends they thought lost survived, and family also now calling themselves nightborne - is significant.

Magic also plays a huge role here because of the cure. Though night elves have for a few years now reembraced magic, there was always the caution of addiction and no solution available. Initially the state of the nightborne ( who look a bit like sickly /starved night elves) and the fate of the withered would be chilling. Yet, it would equally be impressive that the night elves of Suramar did not fall to decadence nor recklessness, and used their magic responsibly for 10k years.

Furthermore the salvation in the Arcan''dor is a boon for all night elf kind - i.e. night elf, highborne and nightborne - as the project that started by the Valewalkers before the sundering, that failed to finish in time to help Azshara, is now complete and is not only salvation for the nightborne from the curse of the nightwell but for all night elf kind from the addictions caused by magical use.

Suramar is also a reminder that the work the night elves did before Azshara's betryal was actually quite outstanding and beautiful, they enhanced their world and their lives, something that it may have been easy to villanize in retrospect during the Long night living in a jungles instead of palaces - it's easy to tell yourself this is your punishment for your hubris, and look ill on your former works, and ehile remembering them, you actually forget what was good about them or you don't, but their memory is twisted by the pain you acutely feel of the loss of so many lives and friends and family.

People sympthasize with the high/blood elves over their tragedy of nearly being wiped out, it's the first their generation has experienced, but all night elves experienced that on a much larger and more devastating stage and have lived with it for 10,000 years. To see Suramar again would be a significant moment - it gets more:

Night elves up to this point still think the well's of power are what the legion is all about, that magic is the attraction, they don't know yet about the nascent titan and the lore that precedes them nor the legion's true motives as they haven't exactly believed Illidan or chatted with him. Secondly at the start of this campaign there was no cure for magic addiction I'm not even sure they've been updated about the Valewalkers and the success of the arcan'dor project I'm not even sure Malfurion knows, because the Valewalkers work preceded modern druidsm, and is from a time before Malfurohn's era, the original older students of nature that were with Cenarius - a lot who turned to trees (according Cenarius in WotA) - described as primitive druids.

So we also have much to expect because the revelation of the Legion's true intent, the cure for magical addiction, and the splendour of Suramar should also have a profound effect on the night elves. The guilt of their role and fear of wells and preference to not utilise them (which was to protect the world from the legion) should flip on it's head when they find out that it's the Titan not the magic that's attracting the legion, and the magic is one of their strongest tools against the legion who are not just interested on gorging on it but also on all life - should give a new epiphany concerning the whole thing - gone should be the desire to destroy the nightwell but rather to fix it, gone shoudl be the hesistation to use it, and rather to help the mages , nightborne and highborne to utilize it protect, rebuild, and as a weapon agaiainstt their foes.

The arcan'dor's fruit should finally focus the a nd solve the danger to the night elf's psychie of using magic all out. And while i dont' expect druids and priests to switch profesions, i expect the prominence of the arcane as route for new night elves would become as prominent as the other two paths are.

None of this is explored yet, hence my disappointment,
And not many interested in this here, this fuels my belief that people aren't really intersted in night elves all that much anymore.

Usually the lore forum was the place you would write a short essay on a lore topic and get interesting and debated responses giving all sorts of insights and extra thoughts.

I notice this happen less, and very few topics can command such an interest, I am not convinced the nightborne/night elf lore is one such any more. It makes me sad.
I personally believe that we still have to wait and see.

I mean, the Nightborne lore is actually very good at the moment. Characters like Thalyssra, Oculeth, Valtrois, Elisande and others are actually well written characters and their voice actors are doing brilliant jobs.

I think that if Blizzard do more to the Shen'dralar lore, then this will be the thing that makes Night Elf lore better.

If not now, then for the Queen Azshara patch/expansion, it would be criminal of Blizzard to not use the Shen'dralar for that, because given the lore they already have, being her former most revered Arcanists...it would be awful to not use them.
Really, I can handle the Shen'dralar not being there (we have the three Moonguard survivors after all), I hate however that Khadgar once again takes the !@#$ing spotlight.

What is it with Blizzard and their drive to make Humans (and sometimes Orc's) the main heroes? It's freaking ridiculous how they insert Humans in situations where Humans shouldn't logically even be in...

But it would've been nice, as you said in earlier threats to have Mordent (or Tyrande) and Rommath (or Liadrin) finding Thalyssra's message, or greeting the Demon Hunters when they escaped the Vault and sending them to Dalaran.
We already have 2-3 race of magic elves. No need for another one.
Imo they must develop the priesthood side which really requires attention. We saw so much about druids but not enough about the priesthood.
Also the battle in Suramar is not a mage war. Every elf race fights with its own style and that's what makes it interesting.
Tbh I never was a fan of highbornes joining the Night Elves during cata or NE mages overall. I wish we could get W3 NE style but we keep seeing Blizz is getting far from it and it make me sad like they are going to add NE paladins. /sigh
17/01/2017 17:17Posted by Shinil
I never was a fan of highbornes joining the Night Elves during cata or NE mages overall. I wish we could get W3 NE style but we keep seeing Blizz is getting far from it and it make me sad like they are going to add NE paladins. /sigh

While I thought the development of the Highborne interesting, I would regard the addition of the paladin class a gross lore violation.

Nelves are neither Human or Draenei. They are Elune's beloved. They are the children of the Stars. That is beautiful. No believers in ''the Light'' or something as blant as this.

Druidism and the Priesthood make the Night Elves unique. The only race whose leader is a High Priestess. A Hierophant. A healer. Elune's beloved children. A Paladin class would destroy all this. Awful. Just awful!
Actually, imho, NElf Paladins could be warriors blessed by Elune, not by the Light.

Kind of how Tauren Paladins are Sunwalkers....

And the way the Kaldorei Mages where added in game with the return of the Shen'dralar was good development, unlike the reason how Orc Mages where added.
17/01/2017 21:50Posted by Pendragons
Actually, imho, NElf Paladins could be warriors blessed by Elune, not by the Light.

Kind of how Tauren Paladins are Sunwalkers....

And the way the Kaldorei Mages where added in game with the return of the Shen'dralar was good development, unlike the reason how Orc Mages where added.

The addition of Night Elf Mages makes sense, though. It has a very long history. Magic and the Elves is not a contradiction. But a plated follower of the Light would be.

Nelven ''paladins'' are their Warriors/Sentinels. They are already under Elune's protection, thus, it would not necessitate a paladin class addition to that race to make them interesting.
If it's not Human, don't expect a proper story.
The Night Elves were my favourite faction in WC3, so naturally I started a NE character back when WoW launched only to find out that expansion after expansion the story line sucks major !@#$ for them.
Such a shame.

And stop it people, no Night Elf Paladins. Come on....
17/01/2017 18:20Posted by Tzesunlao
I never was a fan of highbornes joining the Night Elves during cata or NE mages overall. I wish we could get W3 NE style but we keep seeing Blizz is getting far from it and it make me sad like they are going to add NE paladins. /sigh

While I thought the development of the Highborne interesting, I would regard the addition of the paladin class a gross lore violation.

Nelves are neither Human or Draenei. They are Elune's beloved. They are the children of the Stars. That is beautiful. No believers in ''the Light'' or something as blant as this.

Druidism and the Priesthood make the Night Elves unique. The only race whose leader is a High Priestess. A Hierophant. A healer. Elune's beloved children. A Paladin class would destroy all this. Awful. Just awful!

Agreed, beautifully said, to things characterised the night elves from the start, Children of the stars and Elune's beloved - the arcane affinity is a major part in defining and understanding the children of the stars part,

it is interesting that it is in studying the well and the arcane that they discerned Elune, and in looking into the well, reached as high as the stars. one thing the nightborne show you in Suramar is how the arcane night elves were very star focused. Star Augur Ertraues and the celestial nature of how the arcane is portrayed in Suramar and amongst the nightborne makes you seriously get why they are called teh children of the stars... The druidic side doesn't really show that, it shows they are good students of Cenarius, Elune is more about the divine touch and destiny.

It's the arcane where the star bit is prevalent.
17/01/2017 18:20Posted by Tzesunlao

First of calling the Light "Blant" is unfair and totaly subjective, the Light is a really interessing concept of "Life force", whose seems to be semi-sentient, with the Paladin meditating during hour on it's deep and real nature.

And well, it's more or less confirmerd now that Elune has a link with the Light, Velen were already implying she have a link with the Naaru and Legion confirmed it.

Beside, the NElf are not the only faction with a Priest as their Leader, Velen is a priest.

But the Elf in general seems to have a predisposition to be link with different energy. The NElf are the most obvious, but ( and I find this really cool) the Blood Elf have been develop in a really interessing way, with a very strong link with the Light born with the return of the Sunwell; with their exile, they lost a bit of that and where totaly devoted to the Arcane, but this imbalance lead to their addiction.

But now the Sunwell is stronger than ever...and different too, he his as much Light as he his Arcane. And with it, the Blood elf have change too, they have turn their back on the dark time and can florish once more.
19/01/2017 12:57Posted by Nomithrazar
Beside, the NElf are not the only faction with a Priest as their Leader, Velen is a priest.

Velen is first and foremost a prophet. Thus, the Draenei have a unique feature, too.
Tyrande is a High Priestess who is also a skilled warrior. Thus, both races have a unique feature. Any objections?

And as far as Blood Elves, Humans, Dwarves, Draenei, and Tauren are concerned, no-one is begrudging their devotion to the Light. Let them enjoy it to the fullest. Just spare the Nelves the same treatment. It would not make sense, Naaru/Elune connection or not. Adding the paladin class to the Nelves is contrived and unnecessary.
19/01/2017 13:22Posted by Tzesunlao
Velen is first and foremost a prophet.

Not anymore. He cast off that role and title after we killed his son.