One thing you DON'T miss from old WoW

General
Prev 1 3 4 5 6 Next
Non-linked flight paths.

I really love the concept of actually having to travel around the world to go to places, not using portals and LFG-porting to get to everywhere like we do today. But really, having to sit at the computer watching my char go on a five-leg flight to get to The Deadmines just because I had to re-click the flight master every 3 minutes was tedious.
09/01/2017 15:06Posted by Ayliáh
I don't miss the spell ranks, where you constantly had to go to the trainer to buy the next rank for that little bit of dps improvement.
When you reached a new character level somewhere in the middle of Stranglethorn Vale, that was a loooong journey (on foot) back to the only Alliance flightmaster in Booty Bay :P

Nobody told you to go and get it instantly, though, no rush
People that are downvoting my comment is a shame to gaming community. Playing a warrior with 3 stances sucked since you had to do way more work than any other character to do good on the battlefield. I enjoyed it at the time but the need to swap stances just to get 1-2 skills that you needed for a counter was just stupid, every skill should be available for every spec. The only thing that should need to be swaped in combat should be your weapons, want to use reflect? then equip a shield or simply play with it all the time as a tank. Playing with 1 or 2 handers should be a choise as it was before, want to be quick or dash out big bursts?
There's honestly nothing I can answer to this. I'd have it all back; the bugs, the grinding.....everything. It all played a part in what was an enormously immersive RPG.

Yes I accept that quality of life improvements have helped and I accept the game has to move forward and is probably 10 times better now than vanilla - but still I'd jump back in an instant if I could 'officially' do so and you wouldn't hear me complain about a single thing.
Having to drink every few kills.
That disgusting aggro range.
Weapon skills. Nothing says fun like having to go whack a bunch of low level mobs for a while when you got a type you hadn't used yet.
The only thing i do not miss is applying WindfuryWeapon on my 2H every 3 minutes as Enhancement.
I don't miss carrying around a load of soulshards in my bags, reagents for bufs and ammunition.
Oh I could go on and on and on...

As you said, playing a Hunter, every attack cost you money. I knew of many hunters who did Raiding and would buy the expensive ammo for raiding and use cheap ammo for soloing and dungeons.

Plus, feeding Hunter pets, happiness and abandonment. So you wiped. Not only do you have the durability loss from dying, but every single attack you made cost you money due to ammo, plus your pet died so now you have to feed it or it will run away. Not to mention, some of the best pets before normalisation (first into pet families then into 'all pets are the same it depends on their pet spec') were rare spawns. Meaning if you were a bit absent minded, that pet you farmed days for was now gone.

So as a Hunter you had 1 less bag slot due to an ammo bag (ammo bags increased attack speed so they were essential) plus you had to have a stock of pet food on top of everything else you needed.

Same goes for Warlocks. Having to farm 40+ soul shards before the raid to summon people (summoning stones worked similarly to the LFD system now, just instead of pressing i you went to the stone). But not only that, everyone wanted a healthstone, so that's at least 80 soul shards. And for a time, because of XP scaling, raid mobs gave a lot of XP and so people were getting level boosted in raids. Blizzard didn't want that so they removed XP from raid mobs, meaning a warlock couldn't even regenerate soul shards during the raid. So they had to either farm hundreds of shards before a raid, or had to go out of the raid and farm during raiding time.

ALSO how you could stack several flasks, elixers, potions, food buffs etc on top of each other, and could use multiple potions per fight, and content was scaled around ready access to ALL of those consumables. So if you were on progression content, you had to either farm up or cough up the cash on the AH. And people complain that 'omg a flask costs 1k'. Yeah, but at least you don't have to renew it on a wipe, unlike the 5 elixers you had to bring to each raid.

Speaking of Flasks, who remembers Alchemy labs? You needed these to craft the highest level flasks, potions and elixers. Where could you find these? In the middle of end game dungeons. So not only did you have to farm a billion herbs, but you had to get a group to clear part way through a dungeon just to make them. If you're Raiding, there is nothing of note you can get from Scholomance, so you're literally spending a couple of hours just to be able to make Alchemy craftables.

At least in TBC there were Alchemy Labs in Shattrath which wasn't so bad.

Speaking of professions, remember when the trainers in cities could only train you to Journeyman level? Then you had to go out of your way to find the Expert trainer, then the Artisan trainer. At most it was an inconvenience, but some of these trainers were in stupid places. Like in the middle of Uldaman. I don't know if it was soloable at level 60, but this is a level 35ish dungeon you'd need to go to at end game just to learn Enchanting recipes.

Legion's profession system is similar, but at least you get sent out to do a quest to learn the recipe and that's it. You don't need to go to the Arcyway every few skill levels to learn a new recipe.

Also, remember when flight points weren't connected? So if you were in Stranglethorn Vale and needed to go to the Western Plaguelands, even if you had the flight points, you had to do it one stop at a time. So from Booty Bay to Darkshire. From Darkshire to Lakeshire. From Lakeshire to Ironforge. From Ironforge to Menethil Harbour. You get the idea.

But speaking of, remember when Scarlet Monastary was THE dungeon to go to during the late 30s/early 40s? And how it sucked to get there as Alliance? Stranglethorn Vale was THE questing zone for that level gap, so you'd be spamming in General chat 'LFG/LFM Monastary'. So after 2 hours you get a group. Then you run to Booty Bay, fly using step by step to Southshore (the closest point), ran all the way through Hillsbrad Foothills (because you didn't have a mount), ran through Silverpine Forest or swam the lake, ran all the way through Tirisfal Glades, and 50 minutes later you were there! Then you get the other 4 people begging for a summon because of what a PITA to get there it was, then the group falls apart because nobody else wants to do the run. So 4 hours later, you're stuck in Tirisfal Glades with no group. Fun! Oh wait, no it wasn't.

Want to hear a joke? Vanilla Warlocks! If it wasn't for healthstones and summons, Warlocks wouldn't get a raid spot.

People today claim that the ability pruning for Legion ruined the game. Want to know the DPS rotation for a TBC Warlock? Shadow Bolt, Shadow Bolt, Shadow Bolt, Shadow Bolt, Shadow Bolt...Want to know the DPS rotation for a Mage in Vanilla? Frostbolt, wait a bit because you nearly over-aggroed, Frostbolt...oh darn it crit and I have aggro! Because nothing is more fun than standing around waiting for tank threat!

Speaking of tanks, you know how today you need to manage your abilities to be able to absorb big hits and not get 1 shot by raid boss mechanics? Want to know how it was for tanks in Vanilla? Step 1: Be a warrior, Paladins and Druids can GTFO. Step 2: Remove all abilities from your bars besides Last Stand, Heroic Strike and Sunder Armour. You don't need Revenge, or Shield Block, or anything else. Oh, and if you went more than 10 points into Protection, you were an idiot. Speccing into Protection to tank, pfffffffft! Tanking in Vanilla was about passive mitigation and the only real challenge was maxing your threat output.

But healers didn't get off for free, oh no! Did you train the highest ranks of your heals? Bahahahaha you just wasted a lot of gold! You'd never use the max rank or Greater Heal, it cost way too much mana. So you'd have several ranks of the same healing spell on your bars, as lower rank heals were more efficient, but obviously had less output.

Oh, oh, oh, and remember when you needed to buy reagent materials to cast your raid buffs? Or when the ability to get those buffs only dropped in raids or dungeons? Meaning you'd have to farm that content hoping for a drop, or spend a lot of gold to buy it.

Seriously, anyone who says Vanilla was better is plain wrong. You have nostalgia for how misty eyed and new you were about it. If you took any gamer today who hadn't even heard of WoW before, and got them to play Vanilla followed by Legion, hands down the vast majority would prefer Legion. Vanilla today appeals more to that niche market that was old school grindfest MMOs.

Vanilla wasn't harder, it was more grindy.
Oh, oh, remember when you had to craft poisons over and over on your Rogue to level up your poison making professions skill? And then you couldn't even use it in raiding because

A: Most mobs were immune or resistant to poisons/nature damage

B: Mobs had a 7 slot debuff limit, meaning debuffs were highly controlled.

So an integral class mechanic was rendered null and void during end game, great game design!
Just the one? Bloody hell...Most of the things I'd like to have seen gone are still here.

Ammo.

I get it, I totally get it, I play Tabletop RPG's and LARP for about near on thirty years now, where if you reach for that arrow, and you don't have it, guess what champ, you don't have it!

I get that people think it was realistic, but...it wasn't. Realism would be allowing you to loot your enemies corpse, and get a certain percentage of the arrows back. Realism, would have been inflicting the same inability to use auto-attack on every other class. "Too bad sunshine, your sword is blunted, its doing nuffink" "Sorry mate, you've expended your magic, what you think is a powerful spell is a tickle, look, they haven't even noticed..."

You have to extend these things to everyone, else it becomes a weird restriction.

But if it was anything, it was Ammo. That made no sense, at all. "you're out of arrows" "There's a wizard, right there, conjuring a bloody banquet! Are you telling me seriously, that in a time of war, which we're always bloody in, higher arcane precedence is set upon some bloody Vol Au Vents, than supplying troops?"

So yeah, it was ridiculous, but hey ho, that was early Wow, at least it got shifted, thank feck.
10/01/2017 03:23Posted by Brigante
Realism would be allowing you to loot your enemies corpse, and get a certain percentage of the arrows back

only this is correct, however

"Too bad sunshine, your sword is blunted, its doing nuffink"
it's called durability

Sorry mate, you've expended your magic, what you think is a powerful spell is a tickle, look, they haven't even noticed..."

but you cant cast spells without mana
10/01/2017 03:14Posted by Shallin
Oh I could go on and on and on...

As you said, playing a Hunter, every attack cost you money. I knew of many hunters who did Raiding and would buy the expensive ammo for raiding and use cheap ammo for soloing and dungeons.

Plus, feeding Hunter pets, happiness and abandonment. So you wiped. Not only do you have the durability loss from dying, but every single attack you made cost you money due to ammo, plus your pet died so now you have to feed it or it will run away. Not to mention, some of the best pets before normalisation (first into pet families then into 'all pets are the same it depends on their pet spec') were rare spawns. Meaning if you were a bit absent minded, that pet you farmed days for was now gone.

So as a Hunter you had 1 less bag slot due to an ammo bag (ammo bags increased attack speed so they were essential) plus you had to have a stock of pet food on top of everything else you needed.

Same goes for Warlocks. Having to farm 40+ soul shards before the raid to summon people (summoning stones worked similarly to the LFD system now, just instead of pressing i you went to the stone). But not only that, everyone wanted a healthstone, so that's at least 80 soul shards. And for a time, because of XP scaling, raid mobs gave a lot of XP and so people were getting level boosted in raids. Blizzard didn't want that so they removed XP from raid mobs, meaning a warlock couldn't even regenerate soul shards during the raid. So they had to either farm hundreds of shards before a raid, or had to go out of the raid and farm during raiding time.

ALSO how you could stack several flasks, elixers, potions, food buffs etc on top of each other, and could use multiple potions per fight, and content was scaled around ready access to ALL of those consumables. So if you were on progression content, you had to either farm up or cough up the cash on the AH. And people complain that 'omg a flask costs 1k'. Yeah, but at least you don't have to renew it on a wipe, unlike the 5 elixers you had to bring to each raid.

Speaking of Flasks, who remembers Alchemy labs? You needed these to craft the highest level flasks, potions and elixers. Where could you find these? In the middle of end game dungeons. So not only did you have to farm a billion herbs, but you had to get a group to clear part way through a dungeon just to make them. If you're Raiding, there is nothing of note you can get from Scholomance, so you're literally spending a couple of hours just to be able to make Alchemy craftables.

At least in TBC there were Alchemy Labs in Shattrath which wasn't so bad.

Speaking of professions, remember when the trainers in cities could only train you to Journeyman level? Then you had to go out of your way to find the Expert trainer, then the Artisan trainer. At most it was an inconvenience, but some of these trainers were in stupid places. Like in the middle of Uldaman. I don't know if it was soloable at level 60, but this is a level 35ish dungeon you'd need to go to at end game just to learn Enchanting recipes.

Legion's profession system is similar, but at least you get sent out to do a quest to learn the recipe and that's it. You don't need to go to the Arcyway every few skill levels to learn a new recipe.

Also, remember when flight points weren't connected? So if you were in Stranglethorn Vale and needed to go to the Western Plaguelands, even if you had the flight points, you had to do it one stop at a time. So from Booty Bay to Darkshire. From Darkshire to Lakeshire. From Lakeshire to Ironforge. From Ironforge to Menethil Harbour. You get the idea.

But speaking of, remember when Scarlet Monastary was THE dungeon to go to during the late 30s/early 40s? And how it sucked to get there as Alliance? Stranglethorn Vale was THE questing zone for that level gap, so you'd be spamming in General chat 'LFG/LFM Monastary'. So after 2 hours you get a group. Then you run to Booty Bay, fly using step by step to Southshore (the closest point), ran all the way through Hillsbrad Foothills (because you didn't have a mount), ran through Silverpine Forest or swam the lake, ran all the way through Tirisfal Glades, and 50 minutes later you were there! Then you get the other 4 people begging for a summon because of what a PITA to get there it was, then the group falls apart because nobody else wants to do the run. So 4 hours later, you're stuck in Tirisfal Glades with no group. Fun! Oh wait, no it wasn't.

Want to hear a joke? Vanilla Warlocks! If it wasn't for healthstones and summons, Warlocks wouldn't get a raid spot.

People today claim that the ability pruning for Legion ruined the game. Want to know the DPS rotation for a TBC Warlock? Shadow Bolt, Shadow Bolt, Shadow Bolt, Shadow Bolt, Shadow Bolt...Want to know the DPS rotation for a Mage in Vanilla? Frostbolt, wait a bit because you nearly over-aggroed, Frostbolt...oh darn it crit and I have aggro! Because nothing is more fun than standing around waiting for tank threat!

Speaking of tanks, you know how today you need to manage your abilities to be able to absorb big hits and not get 1 shot by raid boss mechanics? Want to know how it was for tanks in Vanilla? Step 1: Be a warrior, Paladins and Druids can GTFO. Step 2: Remove all abilities from your bars besides Last Stand, Heroic Strike and Sunder Armour. You don't need Revenge, or Shield Block, or anything else. Oh, and if you went more than 10 points into Protection, you were an idiot. Speccing into Protection to tank, pfffffffft! Tanking in Vanilla was about passive mitigation and the only real challenge was maxing your threat output.

But healers didn't get off for free, oh no! Did you train the highest ranks of your heals? Bahahahaha you just wasted a lot of gold! You'd never use the max rank or Greater Heal, it cost way too much mana. So you'd have several ranks of the same healing spell on your bars, as lower rank heals were more efficient, but obviously had less output.

Oh, oh, oh, and remember when you needed to buy reagent materials to cast your raid buffs? Or when the ability to get those buffs only dropped in raids or dungeons? Meaning you'd have to farm that content hoping for a drop, or spend a lot of gold to buy it.

Seriously, anyone who says Vanilla was better is plain wrong. You have nostalgia for how misty eyed and new you were about it. If you took any gamer today who hadn't even heard of WoW before, and got them to play Vanilla followed by Legion, hands down the vast majority would prefer Legion. Vanilla today appeals more to that niche market that was old school grindfest MMOs.

Vanilla wasn't harder, it was more grindy.

You didn't like it for all those reasons - I liked it for all those reasons. You can't tell me "I'm wrong" or if you can I can say the same back to you. It's just opinion.

All those things you spinned negatively are things that made it an RPG and not a 'PopupmenuPG'. I'd play it again in a heartbeat.
Actually everything that comes to mind that I dont miss, I actually miss. Kinda made WoW whole.
The masses of trash before Bosses and the respawn timers.
60 sec poly and sap from pvp,
but almost I miss the whole old wow except a few things. Felt more skill based, not like now, this game is radical simplification for every player who can learn the rotation and play pvp with any class in just a few hours on a medium skill level.
Respect cost.
Soulshard from vanilla/TBC were you had to store them in pocket
Reforging