The word "Black" can't be used in guild names

General
Prev 1 2 3 4 6 Next
06/01/2017 22:32Posted by Ellieth
"Black" is a descriptor for a lot of things. It's just ridiculous that Blizzard is going to let us down just because of the measly off-chance that someone might use the word in such a manner.

The measly off-chance that people of a particular color can be enslaved is slim to none, right?

So your argument that people are general decent doesn't hold any weight because slavery wouldn't have occurred if decent people actually existed.

So because of our history its not ridiculous for words like Black to be censored.
07/01/2017 13:31Posted by Canabal
So your argument that people are general decent doesn't hold any weight because slavery wouldn't have occurred if decent people actually existed.

Say what?
I'm not responsible for your deeds, neither can I stop you.
07/01/2017 00:50Posted by Brigante
I..

That's just not true, the word 'Black' can be used in Guild names, it just can't be used in Guild names as a pejorative, as in, in a racist sense. Several guilds on my server have 'Black' as part of their Guild names. I'm not making that up, take a look at the AD Forums, currently on first page you'll see one, that's been running for about two years now.

Now, did you want to use Black as in the colour, which Blizz clearly have no problem with, or as a racial epithet, which they do and should.

I've seen no similar ban on Yellow, or White, this might be a PvP realm thing?

Maybe its just banned on PvP realms, which is understandable, but it certainly isn't a blanket ban by Blizzard.

i tried it on Argent dawn EU wich isn't pvp. Also it's a roleplay server and words like white,yellow and black are banned. Also, religious names are banned too. I wanted to make a BlackMetal themed guild, couldn't do it cause of the color black, Some time ago i wanted to make a pagan themed guild to roleplay and couldn't do it. I honestly don't know what i can do, all the words i wanted to use are banend, this definitly broke a part of the social aspect of the game
07/01/2017 08:53Posted by Damariel
The problem is people are too sensitive and simply want to see racism, sexism and other things everywhere.
There could be a guild named Black Apes and it wouldn't necessarily mean anything racist. You know most apes are actualy black and the creator could simply be fan of Planet of apes for example but noooooo it's forbidden because some people decided it simply has to be racist.

exactly...
07/01/2017 13:31Posted by Canabal
06/01/2017 22:32Posted by Ellieth
"Black" is a descriptor for a lot of things. It's just ridiculous that Blizzard is going to let us down just because of the measly off-chance that someone might use the word in such a manner.

The measly off-chance that people of a particular color can be enslaved is slim to none, right?

So because of our history its not ridiculous for words like Black to be censored.

I think you, as many wow players, lack common sense
07/01/2017 09:40Posted by Karnaugh
Red should also be banned as native americans might react negatively to that color.

Too bad big companies seem to act only in favor of western world minorities.
Blizzard took the easy way out on this imo. (and they aren't the only ones either)

Instead of monitoring and moderate they banned the word in a cheap skate half arsed attempt to prevent bad guild names.

Thus giving "black" a bad connotation themselves.

imo ofcourse :P
08/01/2017 12:27Posted by Gudren
Blizzard took the easy way out on this imo. (and they aren't the only ones either)

Instead of monitoring and moderate they banned the word in a cheap skate half arsed attempt to prevent bad guild names.

When i pay 12,99euros a month + game and expansions i don't expect people to take the easy way out of it. That is the problem, easy routes are acceptable and very well received for free to play games.
My opinion of course
This thread and all the unnecessary butthurt around single words is just diamond. Black diamond. Words don't hurt. Meanings and attitudes do.
08/01/2017 13:26Posted by Riivis
This thread and all the unnecessary butthurt around single words is just diamond. Black diamond. Words don't hurt. Meanings and attitudes do.

what's your point?

They also made us raid Blackwing's Lair, Blackwing's Descent and even Black Temple, not even mentioning Blackhand's murder. This game is really strange.
08/01/2017 13:39Posted by Cedien
08/01/2017 13:26Posted by Riivis

what's your point?

Point being, cencorship doesn't do anything except being highly annoying, when it targets normal everyday words like colors.
08/01/2017 13:56Posted by Riivis
08/01/2017 13:39Posted by Cedien

what's your point?

Point being, cencorship doesn't do anything except being highly annoying, when it targets normal everyday words like colors.

Oh ok, i get it now and i agree.
07/01/2017 14:01Posted by Daemonerus
Say what?
I'm not responsible for your deeds, neither can I stop you.

Deeds?.....what deeds?

08/01/2017 12:13Posted by Cedien
I think you, as many wow players, lack common sense

Dispute my argument to prove that I lack common sense.

Its interesting that people had to be told how they should feel about slavery for it to be abolished even though you can't help how you actually feel, so we have to guard against how people actually feel on both sides of the spectrum

This is why certain words needs to be censored.
08/01/2017 14:29Posted by Canabal
This is why certain words needs to be censored.

No.. it starts with words, then its sentences and before you know it we are burning books.

I don't believe in censoring and forcing values.. i believe in education.

We have a lot of recorded history and every lesson has been learned before. The more you know of them, the less mistakes you make.

It's the educated community that corrects the odd wrongdoer... not some 'overmind' that deletes part of our culture 'just to be sure' or even worse... 'because I know better than you'.
08/01/2017 12:10Posted by Cedien
i tried it on Argent dawn EU wich isn't pvp. Also it's a roleplay server and words like white,yellow and black are banned.

Unless this is some mega-new development, that makes no sense, I'm on Argent Dawn too, and there are guilds with Black or White, in their Guild names, that are still running, I can't think of any Yellow ones off the top of my head. Plus, a couple of posts up, someone linked a whole list of Guilds with 'Black' in their name.

When did you try this, is this something just recently, if so, then yes, utter madness, and ironically enforcing racism, rather than decreasing it. This said I am being absolutely factual when I say that there are guilds with those words in their names, on Argent Dawn. So unless this is a new thing Blizzard have brought in, I am somewhat at a loss
08/01/2017 18:59Posted by Gudren
No.. it starts with words, then its sentences and before you know it we are burning books.

If that's what it takes to have a just world, so be it.

Education doesn't counter how people feel, it lends a hand to it, this is why The Educated knew that they would get away scot-free after enslaving minorities.

It's the educated community that corrects the odd wrongdoer... not some 'overmind' that deletes part of our culture 'just to be sure' or even worse... 'because I know better than you'.

So you think the Educated Community wanted to abolish Slavery?

Slavery was their idea in the first place so for it to stop they had to essentially be told to feel guilty about enslaving another human being.

So again, this is one of the reasons why certain words need to be censored, it doesn't matter what the intent is, when you're made to feel inferior because of your skin color, you have every right to feel offended by how casually certain words are used.
08/01/2017 20:27Posted by Canabal

If that's what it takes to have a just world, so be it.

Education doesn't counter how people feel, it lends a hand to it, this is why The Educated knew that they would get away scot-free after enslaving minorities.

So you think the Educated Community wanted to abolish Slavery?

Slavery was their idea in the first place so for it to stop they had to essentially be told to feel guilty about enslaving another human being.

So again, this is one of the reasons why certain words need to be censored, it doesn't matter what the intent is, when you're made to feel inferior because of your skin color, you have every right to feel offended by how casually certain words are used.

Yeah right.

I think you've just proven that too little education is bad....

case closed.
Every body in the world has made racist comments.

I am a Celt, most of you are Anglo-Saxon, but why doesn't the law come down as hard when non Caucasian cultures insult our heritage, and we are racist if its the other way around.

As a species we all have some sort of prejudice against some on else, be they African European Asia or even those from the Americas.

As a Gnome, one of my sayings is "My your a tall one." is it affectionate or racist. Would an anti-gnome guild called <I hate garden ornaments> classed the same.

Problem is that the world is changing, though not for the good. But squabbling over minor detail just to make sure you don't get a lawsuit seems to class everyone racist, and we are not!