Convergence of Fate (and other trinkets)

Class Development
1 2 3 5 Next
We've been following the discussion on the recent changes to the Convergence of Fate trinkets for Retribution Paladins, as well as the surrounding discussions about trinket balance in general, and wanted to give a quick update on what we're planning:

The original value of Convergence for Ret was wildly out of line with other trinkets, largely due to its interaction with Crusade. After investigation, however, we believe that the change we made may have overshot the mark. We’ll be making some additional adjustments to Convergence of Fate, to make sure that it’s still a good trinket for Ret.

We’re also investigating Convergence’s value to other classes, particularly those with talents that replace the cooldowns that Convergence effects (such as Dark Arbiter for Unholy Death Knights). Like Crusade, those talents are made significantly more powerful when combined with Convergence of Fate, so we’ll likely need to make some adjustments when those kinds of talents are selected as well.

We are also planning to improve Nighthold trinkets which have effects that aren’t a stat buff, such as the slam on Might of Krosus. We will post more information about this as soon as we have settled on the appropriate values, and are planning to make the changes with raid resets next week.
Wanna fix fire mage mana problems?
No word on Convergance going to reduce cooldown on Incarnation: King of the Jungle when specced for feral?
Oh so we're making Dark Arbiter viable?
21/01/2017 00:49Posted by Trollsaft
No word on Convergance going to reduce cooldown on Incarnation: King of the Jungle when specced for feral?

Indeed! Fix this please!
Draught of Souls seems to descale with Unholy DK's mastery. Instead of buffing the damage our mastery is lowering its damage...
THX for the info!

Any plans to also buff some EN trinkets?
e.g. Natures Call being worse then lower ilvl stat sticks
Aoe proc trinkets have always been undertuned so would be interesting to play with those, good to hear you are considering buffing them.

"we believe that the change we made may have overshot the mark"
Yeah I would say so, getting 5 seconds off the CD every minute made it extremely situational. Basically at its current state it is a STR stat stick for rets.

I can see this trinket being really hard to balance. It's still giving specs like assasination rogues about the same benefit as it gave to ret before the nerf.

Draught of souls is also a trinket that should be looked at. Arms warriors getting 15% of their total dmg from this trinket while being completely useless for most classes.
Good, This is a step in the right direction, Good communcation and fast is good.

CoF is a powerful trinket, and It should be. I agree that it was out of control for retribution paladins, but the problem lies not within the trinket but how Crusade works. It's a ridiculously strong cooldown wich synergizes all too well with the trinket.

The same could be said for Draught of Souls and for example Fury warriors.
We have many ways of pumping up our damage output momentarily, and also grant 100% critical strike for the duration of the trinket.

Reckless Abandon grants 100 rage, which synergizes with Frothing berserker and grants 15% damage increase. We also have a weapon trait that increases our critical damage output by 15% (up to 30% if relic'd)

+ Our mastery/enrage aswell.

add avatar into the mix, and you get a truly fearsome/overpowered trinket that can dish out millions of damage in a short window.

Draught also synergizes with CoF.

I'ts a very fun combo and Fury warriors everywhere cries tears of joy when they get these trinkets.

I just fear they wont be as powerful for long, Because it's out of line and it feels like that by the time I get it, It will be boring/nerfed/other better options.

I got Might of Krosus....which granted does not feel very mighty at all.

I also got my 2p for fury and it wasn't really fun either. Because the itemization is unfun.

I get that gear should be a mixed bag. However tier gear should be something the player desires? Right? So much crit and little haste. The only part that looks/is good is the headpiece....which most fury warriors prefer to use thier legendary slot on. It's very problematic and I would love a watercooler how you go by budgeting items in raids/dungeons/overall. How are items designed?

It's a bad feeling when tier feels unwanted.
There needs to be proper co-ordination between those who design classes and those who design items, especially ones that do more than simply provide stats. The fact that this wasn't seen as an issue as soon as the basic design of CoF got past committee is baffling. Or maybe there needs to be a Devil's Advocate type stage to the design process as a failsafe. So actively try and think how particular classes, specs, talents, set bonuses, etc could result in major outliers to the general design idea before going ahead with it.
You say you want to fix trinkets, but you dont do anything about the biggest problem of all. Unstable arcanocrystal.

It is completely retarded that a trinket is BiS for most classes that is on a 11 week rotation.

Either nerf it into the ground, or make it so all bosses are up every week and you can chose which one you want to kill.
21/01/2017 00:52Posted by Perryx
Oh so we're making Dark Arbiter viable?

It still won't beat Soul Reaper.

21/01/2017 20:22Posted by Osheri
You say you want to fix trinkets, but you dont do anything about the biggest problem of all. Unstable arcanocrystal.

It is completely retarded that a trinket is BiS for most classes that is on a 11 week rotation.

Either nerf it into the ground, or make it so all bosses are up every week and you can chose which one you want to kill.

All 11 spawn each week but share a lockout.

You have to choose which one to kill.

That sounds pretty fair to me
Nightblooming Frond need a buff.. Its just no better then avarge, 1 to 3% of total dmg on evry boss ive done.. My wq 860 mastrry gives me better results..
why can blizz have a simple short responed about cof and incar?
somthing like:
"hi. we know ther eis a bug when u take incar and use cof. we will fix/change/wont do anything about it"
like whats so hard about that?
simple answer.

not somthing vague like:"we are gonna do SOME changes with cof but we arnt gonna say directly what they are."

politic?
23/01/2017 18:46Posted by Gon
not somthing vague like:"we are gonna do SOME changes with cof but we arnt gonna say directly what they are."

Thats because they have no clue to begin with
All the recent changes are just pure lazy and suggest that Blizzard don't even bother looking over player feedback from the PTR, nor do they internally test out stuff that might be "too overpowered" at the beginning of a raid tier.
Legion has been a great expansion so far, but the just how clueless Blizz seems to be in terms of class balancing and item balancing is really putting me off.
In general, we’ve found that our tuning on trinkets which relied on a direct damage or healing effect (as opposed to their raw stats) have come up a bit short this expansion. To help address that, we’re making the following changes:

• Claw of the Crystalline Scorpid: Damage increased by 30%.
  • Arcanogolem Digit: Damage increased by 30%.
  • Entwined Elemental Foci: The amount of Critical Strike, Mastery, and Haste granted by this item’s proc has been increased by 5%.
  • Might of Krosus: Base damage reduced by 25%, but is now always a critical strike.
    • The tooltip for Might of Krosus will display the amount of damage that will result from the critical hit, not the base damage.
    • Also fixed a bug where the cooldown was incorrectly being reduced if Might of Krosus damaged at least 3 targets.
  • Draught of Souls: The Use effect of this trinket now respects the global cooldown.
    • The damage of this trinket is now reduced by 30% for Unholy Death Knights (was reduced by 40%).
    • Designer Notes: Since Draught of Souls deals Shadow Damage, it’s increased by Unholy’s Mastery, which means we needed to reduce its base damage to keep its overall value similar to other classes. It’s currently a little too low, however, so we’re increasing the damage it deals for Unholy.
  • Icon of Rot: Damage increased by 40%.
  • Pharamere's Forbidden Grimoire: Damage increased by 85%.
  • Fury of the Burning Sky: Damage increased by 40%.
  • Star Gate: Damage increased by 30%.
  • Aluriel's Mirror: Healing-over-time amount increased by 140%. Detonation effect reduced by 35%.
    • Designer Notes: Aluriel’s Mirror’s detonation effect is strong when it activates, but hard to rely on. We’re increasing the heal-over-time effect significantly to improve the up-front value of this trinket, and reducing the detonation effect slightly to compensate.
  • Perfectly Preserved Cake: Absorb amount increased by 140%.
  • Etraeus' Celestial Map: The amount of Critical Strike, Mastery, and Haste granted by this item’s proc has been increased by 5%.

As for Convergence of Fates, we’re spending a little extra time to make sure our changes here are as comprehensive as possible, so we don’t have final numbers yet. However, we can share our overall plan for the changes we intend to make. We intend to reduce its base effectiveness (before talents) for Windwalkers, and increase its base effectiveness for Retribution Paladins and Frost and Unholy Death Knights. Separately, we plan to adjust its effectiveness individually for the following talents:
  • Serenity (Windwalker)
  • Crusade (Retribution Paladin)
  • Incarnation (Feral Druid)
  • Hungering Rune Weapon (Frost Death Knight)
  • Dark Arbiter (Unholy Death Knight)

We’re planning to make these changes with the next weekly restarts, alongside the release of Mythic Nighthold. Overall, this should make the trinkets in Nighthold more competitive with other trinkets available elsewhere in the expansion.
Are you going to do anything about the awful proc rate some of these rppm trinkets have? You can go longer than 5 minutes on a boss encounter without having a trinket proc.
What about Nightblooming Frond? People are reporting very low and inconsistent damage from it.
23/01/2017 21:41Posted by Talixium
What about Nightblooming Frond? People are reporting very low and inconsistent damage from it.

Was about to say this, i have the trinket, and the procchance feels incredibly inconsistent/low.
23/01/2017 21:23Posted by Lore
We’re planning to make these changes with the next weekly restarts, alongside the release of Mythic Nighthold. Overall, this should make the trinkets in Nighthold more competitive with other trinkets available elsewhere in the expansion.

Kinda confused me there. Does this mean that the CoF changes will be there as well with the reset this week, since you said you wanted a little extra time to ensure they were as comprehensible as possible?