Upcoming Class Tuning Changes - 25/1/17

Class Development
1 2 3 5 Next
As we prepare for the opening of Mythic Nighthold, we're planning another round of balance tuning for a few specs. These will be applied with the next weekly maintenance.

Druid
  • Feral
    • Increased the damage of most Feral spells and abilities by 8%. (Ashamane's Frenzy, Brutal Slash, Ferocious Bite, Maim, Moonfire, Rake, Shred, Swipe, Thrash, Rip)
      • Designer Notes: Feral's playstyle feels good, but isn't putting up the numbers that it should be, so we're giving them an across-the-board damage buff.

Hunter
  • Combat Experience (Pet Passive) now increases the damage of primary pets by 60% (up from 50%).
    • Designer Notes: This is primarily a damage buff to Beast Mastery, but will have a tiny benefit to Survival and occasionally Marksmanship as well.
  • Marksmanship
    • Arcane Shot now generates 8 Focus (up from 5).
    • Multi-Shot now generates 3 Focus per target hit (up from 2).
    • Sidewinders damage increased by 33%.
      • Designer Notes: Marksmanship has given a lot of feedback that the rotation often winds up casting too many consecutive Focus generators. We are making two changes: first, helping avoid that problem by increasing the Focus generation of Arcane Shot and Multi-Shot. Second, making it more attractive to use Sidewinders in more situations, for players who prefer the pacing of the rotation with that talent.

Mage
  • Arcane
    • Increased the damage of most Arcane spells and abilities by 8%. (Arcane Barrage, Arcane Blast, Arcane Explosion, Arcane Missiles, Arcane Orb, Nether Tempest, Supernova)
    • Overpowered now increases the damage and mana cost bonuses of Arcane Power to 60% (down from 70%).
    • Amplification now increases Arcane Missiles damage by 12% (down from 15%).
      • Designer Notes: Arcane has been doing well in 7.1.5, but its numbers are lacking a bit. We're giving them an across-the-board damage buff, but tempering that with small reductions to a couple new talents that are proving to be too strong.
  • Fire
    • Increased the damage of most Fire spells and abilities by 3%. (Blast Wave, Cinderstorm, Dragon's Breath, Fire Blast, Fireball, Flame Patch, Flamestrike, Living Bomb, Meteor, Phoenix Flames, Pyroblast, Scorch)
    • Pyroblast mana cost reduced by 20%.
    • Flamestrike mana cost reduced by 17%.
      • Designer Notes: Under certain circumstances, it was possible for Fire to run out of mana. It's only intended that mana is a constraint on Fire's utility, not its damage.
  • Frost
    • Increased the damage of most Frost spells and abilities by 4%. (Ebonbolt, Blizzard, Cone of Cold, Flurry, Frost Bomb, Frostbolt, Frozen Orb, Ice Lance, Ice Nova, Waterbolt, Ray of Frost, Water Jet)
    • Comet Storm damage increased by 30%.
    • Flurry now fires its missiles faster.
      • Designer Notes: Comet Storm is failing to live up to expectations, so we're buffing its damage. The Flurry change will help Flurry feel more responsive, while simultaneously solving a potential issue where Winter's Chill could apply to two Ice Lances (instead of just one, as intended) at extremely high Haste levels.

Monk
  • Brewmaster
    • Keg Smash damage increased by 10%, and it no longer deals reduced damage to 6+ targets.
    • Breath of Fire damage increased 11%.
      • Designer Notes: Brewmasters could use a bit of help on damage, especially in AoE.

Paladin
  • Retribution
    • Crusade now increases damage and Haste by 3% per stack (down from 3.5%).
    • Blade of Justice damage increased by 20%, unchanged in PvP.
      • Designer Notes: Retribution's total damage is looking quite strong in 7.1.5, which is fine on its own. However, how that damage is delivered matters quite a bit as well. We've been seeing more and more that Paladins find that the optimal way to maximize their performance is to focus everything they can on boosting their damage during Crusade. This creates a number of problems, including: Crusade feels mandatory, your damage feels very unrewarding outside of Crusade, trinkets and artifact traits are viewed as either amazing or terrible based on whether they synergize with Crusade, and others.

As such, we're going to tone down Crusade, and compensate with a buff to Blade of Justice. For those that had maximized Crusade to an extreme degree, this may result in a small overall nerf – this is intended. This change also helps prevent Divine Hammer from being too dominant in single-target situations.

Warlock
  • Destruction
    • Chaos Bolt damage increased by 9%.
    • Rain of Fire damage increased by 30%.
    • Cataclysm damage increased by 29%.
      • Designer Notes: Destruction's damage isn't as high as it should be. In particular, some of its spells that should feel the most rewarding aren't hitting hard enough, especially in AoE situations. We're buffing the damage of those spells.

As always, there may be additional PvP-only tuning applied along with these changes. We'll share details on any such changes once they've been determined.
Strongly disagree with nerfing the haste on crusade. Nerf the damage, sure, but haste is just a fun stat to play with. Pushing buttons=fun. Slowing down any classes' playstyle is bad in my opinion.
Buffing sidewinders damage is doing virtually nothing for it. Increasing the focus regeneration back to where it was pre 7.1.5 would be a far better option.

Edit: Or reduce it's cooldown. The buff to marking targets RPPM in 7.1.5 means we cannot actually use all of the procs with current sidewinders cooldown.
Can we PLEASE have some real mage changes?

You're addressing other specs, like feral druid, that are doing better than all 3 mage specs, but you refuse to even talk about Frost mage since the beginning of the expansion despite the constant forum posts and give out irrelevant buffs for talents that can't work in a Raid scenario, like Ray of Frost last week and now Comet Storm.

Comet Storm is not fun or interesting.
It doesn't combo or interact with anything at all, it's just another button on my bar that I press every 30 seconds.

The Frozen Touch talent might as well not be there, because even if it did work (which I'm still pretty sure it doesn't, as the tooltip and the results suggest) 4.8% is just not good enough to make a difference.

Fire and Arcane got buffed last patch, but the buffs weren't nearly enough to keep up with every other spec you buffed, like Ret Paladins or Affliction Locks.
And let's not even talk about PVP. Good Lord.

We are a class with 3 ranged DPS specs of which none are viable to take on raids or Mythic+.
What are we even supposed to do?
Still no changes for sub rogues. I hoped that blizzard would spot that sub isnt viable at all without specific legendary but wait they arent balancing specs around legendaries AT ALL. There is so much that they could change in that spec to make it fun to play(its a fun conspect but it lacks in mechanics).
Yet you're admitting that BM has focus issues and yet you haven't touched for example Cobra Shot's ludicrously high focus cost. That's a big buff for MM and kind of meh for BM, which will make MM pull further ahead from BM.
the problem with sidewinders its not the damage, its focus generation,

We are a class with 3 ranged DPS specs of which none are viable to take on raids or Mythic+.

You heard it here first guys, fire mage is bad in m+ and has no place in raids.

Seriously, people like you are clearly not playing the same patch as me.
21/01/2017 01:58Posted by Bangr
Yet you're admitting that BM has focus issues and yet you haven't touched for example Cobra Shot's ludicrously high focus cost. That's a big buff for MM and kind of meh for BM, which will make MM pull further ahead from BM.

Yep, BM feels unplayable without the legendary belt which used to be BASELINE. Redesign the belt and put it back into the actual spell.
21/01/2017 01:54Posted by Hikelos

You're addressing other specs, like feral druid, that are doing better than all 3 mage specs, but you refuse to even talk about Frost mage since the beginning of the expansion despite the constant forum posts and give out irrelevant buffs for talents that can't work in a Raid scenario, like Ray of Frost last week and now Comet Storm.

Comet Storm is not fun or interesting.
It doesn't combo or interact with anything at all, it's just another button on my bar that I press every 30 seconds.

The Frozen Touch talent might as well not be there, because even if it did work (which I'm still pretty sure it doesn't, as the tooltip and the results suggest) 4.8% is just not good enough to make a difference.

Fire and Arcane got buffed last patch, but the buffs weren't nearly enough to keep up with every other spec you buffed, like Ret Paladins or Affliction Locks.
And let's not even talk about PVP. Good Lord.

Instead of crying for balance changes, you should really learn how to play your class if you don't feel like you're doing enough.
Here are couple of good websites to get you started:
- Icy Veins
- Altered Time

Jerpsi
You realize that Crusade isn't mandatory because of how good it is, rather because how completely !@#$ other talents in that tier are?
Any chance at more buffs to Frost mage? Most Frost logs are poor compared to other classes on every fight.

I have double BiS legendaries (Vashj gloves and Magtheridon bracers) and well optimized gear. These are my logs for the first day of HC NH https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/ZxDwmyGVzN6b7faM#type=damage-done&fight=6

I don't have 2p nor 4p yet and I understand that they provide a noticeable DPS gain due to the synergy with Thermal Void, but others in my guild that are putting out higher numbers than me are missing theirs too. So if we all had 4p, I would still likely be 10-20% behind others due to their base numbers just being higher than mine.

On top of that, this suggested Flurry nerf hurts the burst period since it essentially denies me 3-5 extra ice lances during Icy Veins+Bloodlust which not only gives me less damage due to less ice lances, but it also gives me less Thermal Void extensions. Comet storm will never be a competitive option for me outside of myth+ since I have both BiS legendaries that benefit greatly from the Thermal Void playstyle.

The 7.1.5 nerfs to Fingers of Frost generation heavily nerfed Frost and the buffs to Ice Lance base damage is just not enough to compensate for it. Overall the gameplay feels fine in its current state. It's just that even in ideal situations such as cleave fights and I get really lucky with procs, I am still doing significantly less damage than many other classes.
21/01/2017 02:01Posted by Mattacate

My post was 90% about Frost and Arcane, but I'll explain the Fire issue.
Logs and experience with the patch show that despite the headstart fire got by being OP in 7.0 and top tier in 7.1 (which eased gearing for them) it's falling way behind every other class.

All 3 mage specs are at the bottom of the barrel in Nighthold, this is because Fire can only shine when it's allowed to focus ST or AoE 10+ mobs.

When faced with actual mechanics Fire mages cant stack Ignite and their dps falls to nothing after the initial burst, same happens as you switch targets in ST.

Arcane and Frost would be more reliable in realistic raid scenarios, but their damage is way too low to be useful.
I also agree that Sidewinders could use an additional 10 or so focus on top of the generation. It's the waiting around with sidewinders that makes it non-viable.

Sidewinders damage increase is nice... But it doesn't fix the playstyle problem. We just need it to be more useful (aka enabling us to do more with the focus generator and not sit around waiting for natural regen).

Step in the right direction atleast, outside of sidewinders spec. Less arcane spam / Multi spam is okay. I guess.
Thanks
21/01/2017 02:01Posted by Mattacate

My post was 90% about Frost and Arcane, but I'll explain the Fire issue.
Logs and experience with the patch show that despite the headstart fire got by being OP in 7.0 and top tier in 7.1 (which eased gearing for them) it's falling way behind every other class.

All 3 mage specs are at the bottom of the barrel in Nighthold, this is because Fire can only shine when it's allowed to focus ST or AoE 10+ mobs.

When faced with actual mechanics Fire mages cant stack Ignite and their dps falls to nothing after the initial burst, same happens as you switch targets in ST.

Arcane and Frost would be more reliable in realistic raid scenarios, but their damage is way too low to be useful.

In this week's NH logs, frost and arcane performance are on the lower end and fire seems to be slightly below the middle of the pack, which at this point isn't such a big deal imo. We still don't know how mythic NH will play out with set bonuses and new trinkets etc. We can only speculate, but saying mage is just far behind every other class at this point just seems silly to me, seeing as they're certainly worth taking to both m+ and raids as long as they don't perform horribly bad. Nighthold has been out for literally 4 days. Frost and arcane aren't in great spots at the moment, don't get me wrong, but at a time like this, the balancing process is pretty delicate.

I get that it's frustrating to feel like your class is weak and ignored, but bear in mind a few things: You can still perform well as a mage, the amount of parses on some classes skew the results, and we don't have this patch completely figured out yet considering what's to come. So unless you're a hardcore mythic raider, I hardly think there's anything you need to worry about.
21/01/2017 01:54Posted by Hikelos

Fire mages alone have set the bar for AoE in legion, how are they in any way bad in mythic+?
Ah well, i'm just happy to not get nerfed further at this point @s a sub rogue.

And y know, stleast they're trying

How fondly i remember that they wanted fun impactfull abilities, just before giving us a flat dmg buff to upkeep and gave any and all dmg cooldoens three stacks so that you need 2000000 actions per minute in order to do your standard rotation.

All the while hoping that shadowstrike eont teleport you randomly into mechanics like trilliax's asslazer
You already know the issues with Frost mage AoE: poor burst, unusable with moving mobs, costly cast times compounded with short effect durations, no scaling at all with mastery.

I don't think more damage with CmS really fixes any of those (just slightly better burst), but at this point I'll take anything.
Why are melee so strong??? Melee dominated PvP since WoD and now PvE?? World of melee. I guess I am re-rolling a monk or ret, gotta play FoTM!