Protection in 7.1.5 is fun

Warrior
There I said it. It's fun. I'm in the minority in this cesspit of a forum, frequented and polluted by > 20 people who make thread after thread, post after post, complaining about how much they hate their class.

I for one liked the direction of this patch. Thunderclap has a purpose now. Devastator offers ludicrous DPS and, despite what you might think, offers you a more active play style.

It's almost like people forget how a few months ago the forums were absolutely dominated by people complaining about focused rage - how it makes the rotation clunky, how it's a boring and clumsy replacement for heroic strike. About how revenge was useless.

What happened after? Beats the hell out of me. But suddenly everyone switched their stance completely, adapted to the changes (which will happen again in a few weeks), and with the announcement of the removal of focused rage, everyone cried yet again. Browsing though these forums can be like an episode of the twilight zone sometimes.

Play the damn game. Stop complaining. Or reroll. Now you have an AP catchup mechanic.
The complaints for Focused Rage were almost entirely (if not entirely) based on Arms, not Protection. Protection has only even been a topic of discussion when the big nerfs Ignore Pain came, and the rage starvation issues when they nerfed rage generation initially.

The actual Protection spec was very popular as a playstyle, most people seemed to be enjoying it and only had issues with performance occasionally, such as holding AOE threat with Skittish.
^
This...nobody complained about Prot playstyle.
The fun is gone.
I'm done with Prot and wont play it anymore.
Guardian Druid and Paladin, even Dk are way more enjoyable.

I bet next nerf will be on Indom to make sure everyone takes their new BULL!@#$ATOR.
The fun is gone.
I'm done with Prot and wont play it anymore.

I'm curious, did you even try it out before condemning it just cause it's passive and you lost a bunch of health?

At least for M+ DPS is better, survivability is better and skittish is a non issue now so I don't really see what the !@#$%^- problem is that everyone seems to be having with the new changes.

Shout out to you OP for not hopping on the whinewagon before actually trying things out.
I don't have anything against devastator existing as an option, I have something against devastator being the only option to be competitive with other tanks on DPS, and pretty much the only way to have 100% up time on shield block until I can stack ridiculous amounts of haste. The 7.1.0 warrior play style I enjoyed alot, and it was taken away for no reason, it didn't had to be this way, both the new and the old style could have co-existed. As far as I can remember no gameplay change of this magnitude ever happened mid expansion. Also the artifact power grind is still very painful even with 25 artifact knowledge.
I have something against devastator being the only option to be competitive with other tanks on DPS
Aye, I don't disagree on this, but on the positive side now there at least is an option. Before the patch we had no way to do comparable tank DPS.

Yeah the patch could've been better, but it's not as bad as everyone's making it out to be.
I feel like Devastator and Indomitable are too extreme options, it would be nice to have half of each baseline, also the heavy repercussions nerf was totally uncalled for, I feel like warriors were always balanced around having 100% up time on shield block.
12/01/2017 02:13Posted by Cordain
There I said it. It's fun. I'm in the minority in this cesspit of a forum, frequented and polluted by > 20 people who make thread after thread, post after post, complaining about how much they hate their class.

I for one liked the direction of this patch. Thunderclap has a purpose now. Devastator offers ludicrous DPS and, despite what you might think, offers you a more active play style.

It's almost like people forget how a few months ago the forums were absolutely dominated by people complaining about focused rage - how it makes the rotation clunky, how it's a boring and clumsy replacement for heroic strike. About how revenge was useless.

What happened after? Beats the hell out of me. But suddenly everyone switched their stance completely, adapted to the changes (which will happen again in a few weeks), and with the announcement of the removal of focused rage, everyone cried yet again. Browsing though these forums can be like an episode of the twilight zone sometimes.

Play the damn game. Stop complaining. Or reroll. Now you have an AP catchup mechanic.

I could make a lot of points here, but it is actually very simple for me: I'm having less fun with prot now, and I see no 7.1 issues that required these changes.

Some people don't seem to get that, but the "If you don't like, reroll" is just a slap in the face. I'm neither the most skilled player, nor do I have endless amounts of time. Getting another tank to the level where I can MT for my (admittedly barely semi-casual) guild is not an option for me. You shouldn't make changes mid expansion that cause people to feel like they have to reroll.
12/01/2017 07:40Posted by Nashanra

I could make a lot of points here, but it is actually very simple for me: I'm having less fun with prot now, and I see no 7.1 issues that required these changes.

Some people don't seem to get that, but the "If you don't like, reroll" is just a slap in the face. I'm neither the most skilled player, nor do I have endless amounts of time. Getting another tank to the level where I can MT for my (admittedly barely semi-casual) guild is not an option for me. You shouldn't make changes mid expansion that cause people to feel like they have to reroll.

That's fair. The problem with making a forum post is that you can misconstrue it and interpret it however you want. My "stop complaining, reroll" comment was aimed at a certain group of people who are just unhappy with EVERYTHING warrior-related, and prot warrior in particular. I should have made that more clear. In any case, that subset of naysayers clearly don't like the class in general and dream of days past that, quite simply, weren't that great either. They should definitely reroll, and that's not a derogatory comment. Putting on nostalgia goggles has the effect of making everything seem better.

Blizzard doesn't care about catering to the warrior community's emotional instabilities. They don't even care about how "fun" a spec is. Because fun is a subjective element. What they do care about is how prot warriors measure up compared to other tanks. They want some semblance of balance. Which is why they nerfed guardian druids in 7.1.5, for example, and buffed every other tank class.

You're having less fun with prot? I can respect that. But can you really make that assertion one day after live patch? Give it some time.
Warriors been spaming Sa/Dev since Vanilla and noone complained.

We always had an off gcd ragespender like Hs/Fr.

Warrior has alwas been a "hectic" Spec.
I didn't even call out to survability, it's just the fun part.

Many like the dps they r doin, especially with the Gloves.
But you know Blizz...if Tankdps is to high they'll nerf Revenge due to useless without Bull!@#$ator.

Survability will be the next point to criticise.
Guarm mythic autohits for 2million+ and least of us will have 30%haste to keep SB up.

I'll keep an eye on Logs the next days but for ME the fun is gone.
i think, the patch was great, i do nearly 400k on ursoc mythic and 500k+ overall in m+.

and with the infinite amout of rage i get i can now use IP, which was only a oh-!@#$-button for me in 7.1 (focus rage <3 )

i like it :D

ps.: yes, im a DPS junky
I too like the changes made. I never enjoyed pressing devastate multiple times in row in hopes to get SS proc and revenge when failing to get one. I also prefer the revenge/IP weaving with vengeance talent a lot more than I did with FR - the latter had an ability that only buffs other abilities.

The spec is in my eyes now more enjoyable to play in general compared to the 7.1 version. Devastator as a talent added the need to follow your swing timer (badly played devastator is worse than using Indomitable). I'm also a fan for the extra DPS we got as prot warriors after having mediocre damage for a long time, and for once the spec has enough rage flow to make it play quite fast.

I was very pessimistic about the patch when I had only read about the changes - I think I even wrote something about the subject and how I disagreed with making things "simpler" etc. After trying it out yesterday though, I stand corrected. It's now a better spec for me.
Yea Devastator actually does require some new learning and that nice traffic light Weak Aura to be played effectivly.

Thunderclap is still weird as an active ability to me, it just doesn't feel good (maybe yet). It did have a purpose always which was to be used for collecting and holding groups, and more importantly slowing them. Now you just slow and AoE constantly, making the whole design pointless. Really don't know how those designers got through with that and that's even the same for Druids that AoE slow permanently.
12/01/2017 12:48Posted by Evangelià
that's even the same for Druids that AoE slow permanently.

every tank specc has a aoe-spell which slow -> so you can kite and dont die from nekrotic ;)
12/01/2017 14:59Posted by Pôngg
12/01/2017 12:48Posted by Evangelià
that's even the same for Druids that AoE slow permanently.

every tank specc has a aoe-spell which slow -> so you can kite and dont die from nekrotic ;)
Yes, and before you had to switch on your brain for a second, make the decision that you have to kite, then set up a stun and slow and run. Now it's just oh let's walk off a little everything's slow already. That's what I meant. From a design perspective it's very poor.
12/01/2017 06:27Posted by Varyag
At least for M+ DPS is better, survivability is better and skittish is a non issue now so I don't really see what the !@#$%^- problem is that everyone seems to be having with the new changes.

Survivability actually dropped with indomitable. Which you would know, had you examined logs.

Skittish was always a nonissue with scrubs, but once you play with some dedicated, capable people, there was, and still is NOTHING you can do about it, short of bringing enough threat redirection. You can spam all your rage into Revenge... if you want to give up survivability. Good luck with that.
12/01/2017 08:17Posted by Cordain
But can you really make that assertion one day after live patch? Give it some time.

Yeah, it's not like we had months of PTR and patch notes to try it out. Clearly, the Naysayers are actually financed by Final Fantasy XIV.
"Protection in 7.1.5 is fun"..?

To put it simply - no. No, it is not.
Just done some mythics (already tested it on PTR NH in Raidenvironment) and idk how someone can enjoy this damn lame spec....

I really don´t get it...HOW CAN THIS BE FUN ?!?
I think the problem is that they could have had this new Devastator gameplay without removing the old gameplay, but they removed it anyway. Devastator on the surface looks like a low skill option, except that it's not.

If you're playing Devastator low skill it's worse than Indom (the spec which is now completely different, sigh..), but if you play Devastator to it's maximum it requires swing timers and fishing for Shield Slam procs, including knowing when to delay abilities etc, and if you do that it's the best talent in most situations.

So actually it's only worth using Devastator if you're a high end player who likes tracking a complex rotation, rather than what Blizzard might have wanted (which is a lower skill option).