Maxed out weapon on AP, what to do with AP?

General
Like the title says, what to do with ap tokens from m+,wq's, and other content?

Right now i am banking the 100k+ ones, but my bank is running out of space.

Would be nice to get a blue post, to enlighten me (and other people i know who wonder) wether :

- Are the AP points spent in weapons refunded in 7.2? In which case i can safely dump the AP tokens in an offspec weapon.
- Do we get a new kind of AP token for the new traits, and is it no use to stockpile AP tokens? In which case, i can stop running content for AP tokens.
- Can you make the same kind of AP tokens stackable, so i have more bankspace to cover?

This is not a rant, just a genuine question. I wont ever touch my offspecs, so levelling them is pointless to me. i just wonder if it is worth my time to still do content that rewards AP.
Give it here, ill take good care of it <3
Level up another weapon.
I think you just read the title, the questions cover what you suggest.
You clearly play too much :D
I can't argue you on that mate :P
The last blue post I've seen on this topic, stated that Blizzard have no idea how they would implement new traits in 7.2 (it was during 7.1.5 PTR).
In general, they are against stockpiling AP tokens and said that "probably" they would do a refund option.

However, I would recommend to wait for a 7.2 PTR news regarding this topic.
As many of you have noted, Patch 7.2 will be introducing several new traits to Artifact Weapons. We'd like to clarify how these traits will unlock so that you can best prepare for them.

After Patch 7.2 is available, players who have an Artifact Weapon of at least rank 35 will be able to further empower that Artifact through a short quest chain. Completing this quest chain will consume any ranks beyond 35, increase the overall power of your Artifact Weapon (to ensure that losing ranks 35+ isn’t a downgrade), and unlock access to the new 7.2 traits. Any Artifact Power spent on traits beyond 35 will be refunded and you’ll immediately be able to spend that refunded Artifact Power on the new traits.

Note that any Artifact Power tokens acquired before Patch 7.2 will not be usable on an Artifact Weapon that has had its new traits unlocked. If you’ve already reached Rank 54, feel free to use any tokens you earn between now and then on alternate specs; there is no need to stockpile those tokens for Patch 7.2. We’re also planning to apply a hotfix in the near future that will allow the current Artifact Power tokens to be sold to vendors.

Please feel free to add any feedback, questions or thoughts to this thread.
Awesome, cheers.
25/01/2017 17:41Posted by Aerythlea
As many of you have noted, Patch 7.2 will be introducing several new traits to Artifact Weapons. We'd like to clarify how these traits will unlock so that you can best prepare for them.

After Patch 7.2 is available, players who have an Artifact Weapon of at least rank 35 will be able to further empower that Artifact through a short quest chain. Completing this quest chain will consume any ranks beyond 35, increase the overall power of your Artifact Weapon (to ensure that losing ranks 35+ isn’t a downgrade), and unlock access to the new 7.2 traits. Any Artifact Power spent on traits beyond 35 will be refunded and you’ll immediately be able to spend that refunded Artifact Power on the new traits.

Note that any Artifact Power tokens acquired before Patch 7.2 will not be usable on an Artifact Weapon that has had its new traits unlocked. If you’ve already reached Rank 54, feel free to use any tokens you earn between now and then on alternate specs; there is no need to stockpile those tokens for Patch 7.2. We’re also planning to apply a hotfix in the near future that will allow the current Artifact Power tokens to be sold to vendors.

Think you just made alot of people happy with this news :D

You mention that "Completing this quest chain will consume any ranks beyond 35, increase the overall power of your Artifact Weapon (to ensure that losing ranks 35+ isn’t a downgrade)". How will this work for players with rank between 35 and 54? Will they never be able to get as strong a weapon as those who got to Rank 54 before the refund? Or will it be just a flat increase to the power of everyone's artifact weapon, regardless of the rank they had? (Ie. a player with Rank 37 will get just as much of an increase than a player with Rank 54, the only difference being how much AP they have due to the refunded Ranks).
What about the players who had AP into their weapons beyond 54 before 7.1.5?

So what was the point of having us go through many hours of endless grind for it to get refunded at the end? why not just add the traits and let us continue from there. i don't see how that is fair for us who got to 54.
25/01/2017 17:59Posted by Kylnathae

You mention that "Completing this quest chain will consume any ranks beyond 35, increase the overall power of your Artifact Weapon (to ensure that losing ranks 35+ isn’t a downgrade)". How will this work for players with rank between 35 and 54? Will they never be able to get as strong a weapon as those who got to Rank 54 before the refund? Or will it be just a flat increase to the power of everyone's artifact weapon, regardless of the rank they had? (Ie. a player with Rank 37 will get just as much of an increase than a player with Rank 54, the only difference being how much AP they have due to the refunded Ranks).

To my understanding it works in the following way, lets say your weapon is rank 54. 7.2 hits and you get max 3 extra traits when doing the chain. However the person that had rank 45 gets 2 extra traits after completing the chain.

Would be nice to get a clearance on this as well although it doesnt really matter that much.

I'm asuming refunded AP will only be used on the artifact it was refunded from. If not demon hunters will be behind because of only refunding 2.
I hope we get some more info.
Of course the main spec is not getting artifact power refund from second spec... that much is clear.

But yes, the power increase if you have 35, 54 or sth in between is not very clear how that is going to work.

Probably all artifact power beyond 35 is kept and spendable on the new traits (in absolute amount of AP and not in amount of traits trainable). And the power increase of the 20 bonus traits is probably rolled someway into the first 35 points i guess. They could e.g. just as easily add the +dmg part from 35-54 to the traits from 1-35...
Thank you that there is no paragon system in play btw. Thank you that infinite grinds for %power increases from thin air do not exist. There was always a finite power increase with the available gear and item level.

Just think back how much power increase you got past level 110 and on top of just gear grind with this artefact system... it is ok if this is not infinite and that also means that you cannot but also must not earn artefact power ad infinitum.
Would also like to know what happens with the "consuming" of rank 35 through 54.

A) If someone at rank 40 consumes their artifact through the quest, will they have the same power as someone who consumes their artifact at rank 54?

B) If not, will the rank 40 person be able to catch up to the rank 54 person in power by eventually farming the previous missing 14 ranks?

Personally at 54 at the moment and personally I'd think it would be very weird if people who consume their artifact at rank 40 would be just as strong from their artifact as someone who consumed at rank 54.
25/01/2017 20:00Posted by Hidekigge
Would also like to know what happens with the "consuming" of rank 35 through 54.

A) If someone at rank 40 consumes their artifact through the quest, will they have the same power as someone who consumes their artifact at rank 54?

B) If not, will the rank 40 person be able to catch up to the rank 54 person in power by eventually farming the previous missing 14 ranks?

Personally at 54 at the moment and personally I'd think it would be very weird if people who consume their artifact at rank 40 would be just as strong from their artifact as someone who consumed at rank 54.

Even if the consumed artifact ends up the same strength,someone with level 54 is going to get a lot more refunded artifact power than someone at 40 to use on the new traits, thus your weapon will still be stronger than theirs. The power Will just be in the new traits now, which with that much more artifact power you Will obviously be able to unlock more traits, don't think there's any need to panic.

Don't think it would make sense to make them upgrade to a higher starting point as it would mean anyone that isn't 54 before the quest would forever be behind with no way to catch up purely because they completed the quest before hitting 54.
Did I missread something? I just got 34 unlocked today, and I will get 35 tomorrow. So if I just keep using AP items I get but don't spend that AP, I will have that AP to instantly spend on the new traits?