Maxed out weapon on AP, what to do with AP?

General
Hello! Like some others have asked I will do too... until it was decided that ap should not be put into weapons at 54 traits anymore I managed to do that quite a bit, more precisely my BM weapon has almost 40mil ap in it over rank 54. What will happen to all that ap/time spent after 7.2? Thank you!
25/01/2017 17:59Posted by Kylnathae
You mention that "Completing this quest chain will consume any ranks beyond 35, increase the overall power of your Artifact Weapon (to ensure that losing ranks 35+ isn’t a downgrade)". How will this work for players with rank between 35 and 54? Will they never be able to get as strong a weapon as those who got to Rank 54 before the refund? Or will it be just a flat increase to the power of everyone's artifact weapon, regardless of the rank they had? (Ie. a player with Rank 37 will get just as much of an increase than a player with Rank 54, the only difference being how much AP they have due to the refunded Ranks).

It will be a flat increase.

The person who currently has Rank 54 will still have a stronger overall weapon though due to the fact that they will receive more refunded Artifact Power, thus immediately being able to purchase more of the new traits than someone who was at Rank 37 before 7.2.
30/01/2017 10:13Posted by Aerythlea
25/01/2017 17:59Posted by Kylnathae
You mention that "Completing this quest chain will consume any ranks beyond 35, increase the overall power of your Artifact Weapon (to ensure that losing ranks 35+ isn’t a downgrade)". How will this work for players with rank between 35 and 54? Will they never be able to get as strong a weapon as those who got to Rank 54 before the refund? Or will it be just a flat increase to the power of everyone's artifact weapon, regardless of the rank they had? (Ie. a player with Rank 37 will get just as much of an increase than a player with Rank 54, the only difference being how much AP they have due to the refunded Ranks).

It will be a flat increase.

The person who currently has Rank 54 will still have a stronger overall weapon though due to the fact that they will receive more refunded Artifact Power, thus immediately being able to purchase more of the new traits than someone who was at Rank 37 before 7.2.

Does that mean that several weapons @ rank 54 will net you even more ranks to put into 1 weapon, or is the AP somehow tied to the weapon from which it originated?
25/01/2017 18:13Posted by Phardion
25/01/2017 17:41Posted by Aerythlea
As many of you have noted, Patch 7.2 will be introducing several new traits to Artifact Weapons. We'd like to clarify how these traits will unlock so that you can best prepare for them.

After Patch 7.2 is available, players who have an Artifact Weapon of at least rank 35 will be able to further empower that Artifact through a short quest chain. Completing this quest chain will consume any ranks beyond 35, increase the overall power of your Artifact Weapon (to ensure that losing ranks 35+ isn’t a downgrade), and unlock access to the new 7.2 traits. Any Artifact Power spent on traits beyond 35 will be refunded and you’ll immediately be able to spend that refunded Artifact Power on the new traits.

Note that any Artifact Power tokens acquired before Patch 7.2 will not be usable on an Artifact Weapon that has had its new traits unlocked. If you’ve already reached Rank 54, feel free to use any tokens you earn between now and then on alternate specs; there is no need to stockpile those tokens for Patch 7.2. We’re also planning to apply a hotfix in the near future that will allow the current Artifact Power tokens to be sold to vendors.

Please feel free to add any feedback, questions or thoughts to this thread.

So what was the point of having us go through many hours of endless grind for it to get refunded at the end? why not just add the traits and let us continue from there. i don't see how that is fair for us who got to 54.

Refunded does not mean deleted.
24/01/2017 08:42Posted by Scuzzle
Like the title says, what to do with ap tokens from m+,wq's, and other content?

Right now i am banking the 100k+ ones, but my bank is running out of space.

Would be nice to get a blue post, to enlighten me (and other people i know who wonder) wether :

- Are the AP points spent in weapons refunded in 7.2? In which case i can safely dump the AP tokens in an offspec weapon.
- Do we get a new kind of AP token for the new traits, and is it no use to stockpile AP tokens? In which case, i can stop running content for AP tokens.
- Can you make the same kind of AP tokens stackable, so i have more bankspace to cover?

This is not a rant, just a genuine question. I wont ever touch my offspecs, so levelling them is pointless to me. i just wonder if it is worth my time to still do content that rewards AP.

im not againts playing ALLOT but jesus man play some other games too atleast x.x
30/01/2017 23:17Posted by Ruvyn
Does that mean that several weapons @ rank 54 will net you even more ranks to put into 1 weapon, or is the AP somehow tied to the weapon from which it originated?

The Artifact Power will be tied to the weapon from which it originated.
What will happen in this scenario?

Person A has 54 points in his weapon and thus cannot "stack" more AP into his weapon and is thus forced to spend AP on offspec weapons.

Person B has 53 points in his weapon and can thus "stack" more AP into said weapon than person A that spent the last point in the weapon.

Will they both have the same AP/points to spend in the main weapon or is there an advantage for person B since he technicly has the potential to have a lot higher AP spent in his weapon then person A?
25/01/2017 18:13Posted by Phardion
25/01/2017 17:41Posted by Aerythlea
As many of you have noted, Patch 7.2 will be introducing several new traits to Artifact Weapons. We'd like to clarify how these traits will unlock so that you can best prepare for them.

After Patch 7.2 is available, players who have an Artifact Weapon of at least rank 35 will be able to further empower that Artifact through a short quest chain. Completing this quest chain will consume any ranks beyond 35, increase the overall power of your Artifact Weapon (to ensure that losing ranks 35+ isn’t a downgrade), and unlock access to the new 7.2 traits. Any Artifact Power spent on traits beyond 35 will be refunded and you’ll immediately be able to spend that refunded Artifact Power on the new traits.

Note that any Artifact Power tokens acquired before Patch 7.2 will not be usable on an Artifact Weapon that has had its new traits unlocked. If you’ve already reached Rank 54, feel free to use any tokens you earn between now and then on alternate specs; there is no need to stockpile those tokens for Patch 7.2. We’re also planning to apply a hotfix in the near future that will allow the current Artifact Power tokens to be sold to vendors.

Please feel free to add any feedback, questions or thoughts to this thread.

So what was the point of having us go through many hours of endless grind for it to get refunded at the end? why not just add the traits and let us continue from there. i don't see how that is fair for us who got to 54.

Because they are making it up as the go along.
What will be done to compensate players that have maxed out all artifacts ?
as you are aware DH have only 2 which is quite obvious lots of players will have maxed out way before 7.2, what will they receive instead of AP tokens ? - heard rumor about vendor those how much would they be worth ?
31/01/2017 18:06Posted by Vezna

Person A has 54 points in his weapon and thus cannot "stack" more AP into his weapon and is thus forced to spend AP on offspec weapons.

Person B has 53 points in his weapon and can thus "stack" more AP into said weapon than person A that spent the last point in the weapon.

Will they both have the same AP/points to spend in the main weapon or is there an advantage for person B since he technicly has the potential to have a lot higher AP spent in his weapon then person A?

The current Artifact Power cap is based on total amount of AP, not on number of ranks purchased. Once you have enough AP to buy your 54th rank, you'll no longer be able to add additional AP, regardless of whether you actually buy that final rank or not.

Any additional AP beyond 54 will not be refunded. The core intent here is that you cannot farm Artifact Power beyond what is useful in Patch 7.1.5 until Patch 7.2 releases.
31/01/2017 18:28Posted by Tuverentetil
What will be done to compensate players that have maxed out all artifacts ?

Why do ppl need to be comensated?

If you max out your weapon, in all specs, you are on of the few that does so.
I see no need to compensate for it.
The game has set a limit, deal with it.
Given that each artifact trait gives your character a boost (most classes get 0.75% stamina; some healers get 1% damage as well)

How will "removing 20 traits" affect players? Will the missing stamina/healing/damage be all included in the 35th trait?

if not, 15% stamina and a 20% damage reduction (for holy priests) will feel like a kick in the teeth
01/02/2017 14:36Posted by Saransa
How will "removing 20 traits" affect players? Will the missing stamina/healing/damage be all included in the 35th trait?

You should at least read the blue posts in this very thread first. All the AP is refunded past 35 and you can instantly start learning the new stuff after doing the short quest line.
01/02/2017 15:01Posted by Nukacola
So i should save all my tokens until the release of 7.2 and the new golden traits for the weapon. I need a bigger bank.

Again, read the blue post. It's even been quoted onto this very page.

Tl;dr all AP items will be redundant come 7.2, so hoarding them is pointless.
Apparently disliking this new trait system, like there was not enough traits to grind already... Yet they're adding new ones for unending grind...
01/02/2017 15:45Posted by Angelîque
Apparently disliking this new trait system, like there was not enough traits to grind already... Yet they're adding new ones for unending grind...

AK is increasing from 25 to 40 from latest PTR build which is arguably making the grind a lot less. Refunded points from 36-54 will also give you a huge headstart so I'm failing to see a major problem here.

01/02/2017 15:45Posted by Angelîque
unending grind...

I'd rather have constant increases for months than finishing it too soon and not having much incentive to do much except for high M+'s and relying on insane RNG for the good stuff.
01/02/2017 11:10Posted by Aerythlea
31/01/2017 18:06Posted by Vezna

The current Artifact Power cap is based on total amount of AP, not on number of ranks purchased. Once you have enough AP to buy your 54th rank, you'll no longer be able to add additional AP, regardless of whether you actually buy that final rank or not.

Any additional AP beyond 54 will not be refunded. The core intent here is that you cannot farm Artifact Power beyond what is useful in Patch 7.1.5 until Patch 7.2 releases.

How comes you take away earned resources from players here, while you are refraining from it on another issue (the prestige bug) - quoting:

'As we noted previously, however, these players did earn their way through to the next level by actively PvPing up to that level at the previous cap, and, as such, we do not intend to take any actions against them.'

Source: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20752536119?page=14#post-279

Like those (bugged) players, i also earned the additional 17M AP i have on my maxed out weapon 'by PvEing up to that level at the previous cap'. Why i am not be able to keep it?
01/02/2017 14:51Posted by Akiru
01/02/2017 14:36Posted by Saransa

You should at least read the blue posts in this very thread first. All the AP is refunded past 35 and you can instantly start learning the new stuff after doing the short quest line.

I did read it. You clearly didn't bother to read my post.

At no point does blizzard say there will be at least 20 new traits to learn; which would result in a loss.
At no point does blizzard say that each point past 35 will cost exactly the same as it did before the change; which if it doesn't may result in a gain or a loss depending on the changes to the costs.

Overall, the blue post is vague at best and does not openly explain every aspect of the change.

Considering the blue post was "for clarification", it's not achieved that result.
Could redundant AP items not also be BoA as well as vendorable?