Legion storyline

Story
The back story in Legion sucks, unfortunately. Our world is a Titan baby?
And what about Illidan? We all know the stuff he did before, just because Blizzard is trying to whitewash him with brute force, since not only are they trying to make us forget what an anti-hero and villain he was in WC3 and then later TBC.
They want us to just forget all of that and just pretend it never happened, lol.

Why not return him like he really was? A flawed character with a heavy addiction to arcane and now especially fel magic.
Illidan was a great character because of his flaws. But no, now they are not only trying to whitewash, but also now claim that there was a pluton of hundreds of DH's fully trained, when we know for a fact only five completed their training at the Black Temple before Illidan was killed.

They are trying so hard to rape the lore (and many morons who just like Illidan because of his looks obviously, because his personality has changed) that now, he is also chosen as the Golden child?!

I mean really? You give us this great expansion, with all the other lore stories around the big main one is just top notch. And the game mechanics too.
But suddenly, you freak out and deliver this piece of !@#$ story with Illidan and the Naaru?!

If anyone should be the chosen one, it should be someone who has been devoted to the Light for quite some time and lived by it's virtues.
Not someone who feasts on magic that is created upon destruction of life itself.
He is the opposite of everything the Light stands for.
Agreed, Legion main lore is absolute trash

I do like the following tho
Stormheim, ignoring ofcourse the new "Warchief", I am not a fan
Suramar
Aszuna
Highmountain
Also I am feeling really strange when it comes to Wardens-Illidari relationship. I mean I understand Legion is attacking(which I really hate it how it is justify everything in game currently) but they shouldn't be that close. Maiev and Illidan way to close to each other in 7.2 especially. I don't know it feels strange.
I hope they put a plot twist into the Xe'ra-Illidan story line, the whitewashing they are doing with illidan is not logical.

Illidan was a badass character because he did everything for the greater good even if everyone was against him, at least he tried and had his reasons (sometimes totally bad reasons and ideas but still).

Now its just boring: "okay Illidan, we saw everything you are right do what you want if you think it will work", and not just boring but it can be pretty counterproductive, that guy won't hesitate to sacrifice the whole population of Azeroth if he think that his plan will work out just fine if he does it.
20/03/2017 13:44Posted by Hardtra
I hope they put a plot twist into the Xe'ra-Illidan story line, the whitewashing they are doing with illidan is not logical.

They wrote a whole book with the sole purpose to whitewash him. They retconned pretty much all of Burning Crusade, then !@#$ed up big time because they forgot about the many logical flaws which happen when you retcon BC. The biggest one being that they even put A FREAKING NAARU in the FIRST CINEMATIC of the demon hunters. SO THE FREAKING Naaru lead the attack on Illidan and later one another Naaru tells me, that "I" need redemption?

Legion is full of these logical flaws especially during the Illidans questline. The order hall campaigns? The other zones? All are pretty good overall (with the exception of Stormheim and the forced Alliance vs Horde crap there) while the main plot fails miserably.
20/03/2017 14:49Posted by Keydiam
They retconned pretty much all of Burning Crusade

Please enlighten me and explain to me what was Illidan doing during TBC? Only by using the sources that were available during the time of that expansion.

The whole point of his return is explained in recent WoW novel: Illidan by William King. It explains everything that happened since Illidan came to Outland all the way to his death by the hands of an adventurers.

During TBC, we didn't know what was Illidan up to, nothing, NADA. Therefore, nothing is retconned.
personaly I think TBC was the biggest flaw ever, totaly one sided, we never get to know why Illidan is doing what he is doing, but instead we do get lots of reasons why he should be killed.
Akama for example, the one who should be the traitor here, wan´t to kill Illidan becuse he got impatient.

we new se illidans side only the so call good guys side.
20/03/2017 15:01Posted by Waleria
personaly I think TBC was the biggest flaw ever, totaly one sided, we never get to know why Illidan is doing what he is doing, but instead we do get lots of reasons why he should be killed.
Akama for example, the one who should be the traitor here, wan´t to kill Illidan becuse he got impatient.

I think Akama's brain is damaged or something because in the dh campaign we get to know that he knew everything about Illidan's plan against the Legion, so he should have known that Illidan is not 100% evil, only his methods are messed up, but somehow he forgot to mention those things, lets just kill Illidan.
20/03/2017 14:55Posted by Sedit
It explains everything that happened since Illidan came to Outland all the way to his death by the hands of an adventurers.

personaly I think TBC was the biggest flaw ever

20/03/2017 15:06Posted by Hardtra
but somehow he forgot to mention those things, lets just kill Illidan.

I will reply to all of these three comments at once, mainly because they all have the same theme going on.

Blizzard knows that they !@#$ed up in Burning Crusade. They know this, we know this, everyone knows this. They made Illidan a madman, who was shouting nonsense like he won against Arthas at Icecrown, he enslaved the entire population, attacked the Naaru, created fel-orcs and much more. We all know this stuff already.

But, instead of letting it rest, instead of more or less admitting, "Yeah we know terrible writing, we are sorry for all of that," they went out of their way to give Illidan reasons, so that they could get him back, because he is an alltime favorite amongst fans just like Sylvanas (everyone get to cover some Sylvanas fanboy will enter this thread very soon).

Now, they rewrote pretty much all off Burning Crusade, giving everything that happens there a purpose. More or less. To some extend. In the process there are logical errors however. Akama being a great example, because with the new lore he became pretty much a gigantic selfish-%^-*!@# instead of someone who wants to free his people from slavery. His character was twisted so that Illidan would stand in a better light. (It becomes to some extend even more stupid, because when you pick Altruis Akama follows you again anyway)

Another problem is the whole "adventures attack Black Temple"-thing, and this in combination with Xe'ra isone of the biggest offender here. Even if your character couldn't even be at the temple (from simple logic) your characters gets slapped by Xe'ra (Blizzard) for being such an $%^-*!@ against our Lord and Savior Lord Illidan, even though nobody could have known what Illidan plans (well talking to people, Akama could have told us etc.). Another problem is: The god damn Naaru themselves send us on the mission. The Black Temple is even sieged by a Naaru who hovers behind the troops (he is even shown in the Legion cinematic for the demon hunters...).

It's not like it is a bad thing, that we are the bad guys for a change. It is the blatant way of doing so. It's the way the lore is twisted, not necessarily a recton, that is stupid. The fact that a book was written to rewrite Burning Crusade, to give everything a purpose and make Illidan look better. And don't get me started on the whole prophecy-thing with Illidan being all light and shiny. Or the stupid questline with him in Legion. (SO MUCH SACRIFICES! Sacrifing others doesn't really count...SO MUCH REJECTION! Being a dick to your teacher does that...)
TBC was direct successor of WC3 and Frozen Throne... that was the story line there, Illidan fails to kill LK and hides in Outlands, tricks Broken into helping him, then takes over the whole place so he can bolster his power for fight vs KJ when he comes to get him.

Vanilla was as well, Arthas went to frozen throne, but Kel'Thuzad didn't, he stayed in plaguelands to spread more plague, so we had to stop him.

We venture to Outlands to stop Illidan from his plans, because legion will not stop until they get him, and they might attempt to use portal on our side, so we act to prevent that, get rid of Illidan, Legion has no interest to hunt him, they leave us alone, its another thing that our leaders were wrong, they didn't know about sleeping titan back then.

Chaos orcs were there before Illidan, dunno where this idea comes from he created them... Magtharidon created them, he only enslaved Magtharidon and gave him to orcs as a trade, serve me and here is all fel blood you will ever need. Which they did.
20/03/2017 15:51Posted by Beher
Chaos orcs were there before Illidan, dunno where this idea comes from he created them... Mannaroth created them, he only enslaved Mannaroth and gave him to orcs as a trade, serve me and here is all fel blood you will ever need. Which they did.

thet where there but illidan did make them stronger buy feeding Mannorths blood to them.
21/03/2017 07:09Posted by Waleria
thet where there but illidan did make them stronger buy feeding Mannorths blood to them.

Magtharidon created them, he was feeding them as he sees fit, but they were deluded by his blood, went crazy, when Illidan defeated him, he traded with Chaos orcs, Magtharidon for their allegiance. They accepted.

Same as broken, they traded with Illidan, help Illidan defeat Magtharidon and he will give them Black Temple back, which he did, kinda :-)
As someone above said, TBC was one of the biggest flaws in the whole warcraft universe. No story whatsoever and whoever says blizz ruined illidan by changing him from his tbc incarnation, you obviously haven't played warcraft 3 and frozen throne. Those are the games in which illidan was portrayed quite good and legion continues this. Lore is supposed to be open to change, it's not the freakin bible. And yes, thank god they decided to retcon that !@#$fest that TBC was.
21/03/2017 09:50Posted by Kaldayur
As someone above said, TBC was one of the biggest flaws in the whole warcraft universe. No story whatsoever and whoever says blizz ruined illidan by changing him from his tbc incarnation, you obviously haven't played warcraft 3 and frozen throne. Those are the games in which illidan was portrayed quite good and legion continues this. Lore is supposed to be open to change, it's not the freakin bible. And yes, thank god they decided to retcon that !@#$fest that TBC was.

Legion's biggest flaw is the Odyn-Helya conflict. They don't really take their time to tell us the reasons behind it, like how Odyn was enslaving people to transform them into val'kyr, and Helya became the first one as a punishment because she didn't obeyed him.

Its almost on the same level with killing Illidan in TBC.
21/03/2017 13:03Posted by Hardtra
Legion's biggest flaw is the Odyn-Helya conflict. They don't really take their time to tell us the reasons behind it, like how Odyn was enslaving people to transform them into val'kyr, and Helya became the first one as a punishment because she didn't obeyed him.

It's because we, as players, know it, but our characters don't. Then, we simply go to Tormenheim and discover that Helya is enslaving vrykuls and we have to defeat her to free Odyn, who is a Titan Watcher and we assumed that he's the good guy.
I wish they never brought him back. I predicted this a whole year before Legion was launched and it all came true.
I said if they bring him back, they will butcher his character beyond redemption.
You people complained about Thrall? This is ten times worse.

Where are all these people now? Oh, right, now it's about your beloved Illidan, so now you can't criticise him. Many of the Thrall-haters are hypocrits right now.
Because Illidan will be Mary-sue x 10.

Edit: Sorry. He already is!

He went insane after Arthas slashed him open with Frostmourne, that scarred his spirit and almost killed him. That and the knowledge that he know had failed his master and would no doubt face eternal torment.
This drove him to insanity. And insane beings don't act logical at all.

And people, grow some balls and argue instead of just downvoting when I hurt your feelings, m'kay?

In TBC he was a washed up Fel-addict that harvested whatever power he could.
That was the good part of the story. It's more realistic.
Life doesn't end well for all, that is the truth. Some spend their entire existence in pain and suffering.
And delivering relatable stories is far more interesting than another mary sue.

Let's pretend he wasn't a selfish Fel-addict that did everything for power. Even though if you play through TBC you will be shown the truth.
Yeah, i agree with you, Sylaz. Illidan's acts during TBC showed us he was thirsty of power, and he would do anything to get more. Even destroying an entire planet.

*sarcasm on*
But hey. He was doing it for defeating the Burning Crusade, so he is the good guy in the movie and we're villains for killing him.
*sarcasm off*