Legendary Drop Rates

General
1 2 3 5 Next
The rate at which players acquire Legendary items is a subject that we’ve kept a very close eye on since the launch of Legion. We’ve generally tried to avoid getting into too much technical detail on the system behind your chance to get a Legendary, but we would like to say a bit more on what we’ve done behind-the-scenes up to this point.

As many players have figured out, changes were made to legendary drop rates with patch 7.1 and patch 7.1.5 – when those patches went live, your chance to receive a Legendary increased in pretty much all cases. What you might not have noticed is that we’ve been steadily increasing your chances since then. One of our long-term goals is to allow you to switch specific Legendary items in and out as the situation warrants, and regularly increasing drop chances is one way of ensuring that that happens.

We’ve also made adjustments that leveled off what used to be steady decrease to your chance to get subsequent Legendaries after your first. When Legion launched, every time you earned a Legendary, your starting chance to earn your next one would be lower (and thus, the average time it took you to loot it would be longer). At this stage, however, most players in the Broken Isles are no longer hunting for their first Legendary, and many already have their second. We didn’t want you to feel as though your good fortune in the past equates to harder times in the future, so we normalized drop chances for subsequent Legendaries after your second. Right now, in Patch 7.1.5, your first Legendary has the highest drop chance, the second still has a significant bonus, and then you’ll have the same chances to earn your third Legendary as you will your fourth, fifth, sixth, and so on.

We think it’s important to get this across clearly: it currently takes the same amount of luck/effort to get your third Legendary as it takes to get your eighth. We’ve seen a few players and tools attempting to use historical data to predict their drop chances, but because of how regularly we’ve been increasing Legendary drop rates, that data is extremely outdated – and their conclusions extremely inaccurate. In short, your chance of receiving that next Legendary is probably a lot better than you think.
hey i played 600 arenas still no legendary :/
Antonmuppen go and play Pve or open Emessary Boxes and you get your first 2 legendarys instant!
LUL pvp in 2017. jk jk but legendaries not work in PVP why you even want to have when you just do PVP doe? :thinking:

but gl :) how about i get my 5th legendaries and can be my bracers this time i waiting for them sence release :/
My palatank has Sephuz and Prydaz, even though I have prot spec loot all the time. Can I /kill myself?
The biggest problem with legendaries is the double RNG aspect.

Currently, RNG Legendary with RNG drop source

What should be the case, either:

Targetted Legendary with RNG drop source
RNG Legendary with predictable drop source

I would accept either.

/StillRaidingMythicWithoutEitherOfMyTwoBiS
So, instead of giving us hope that it will drop some day, how about giving us some kind of calculation that we would use to know approximately when we would be getting the next one?

I would love to know what was the reason to keep it this much hidden. The full legendary system is one of the main reasons the raiding scene is in shambles, and i see no gain from keeping us in the dark.

Could go on an endless rant on what is wrong with legendary system over all, but this post wasn't about it. so at the very least , we need a way to calculate/know approximately when it will drop, telling us it will drop some time in the future wont solve any problem.
17/02/2017 15:34Posted by Aerythlea

We think it’s important to get this across clearly: it currently takes the same amount of luck/effort to get your third Legendary as it takes to get your eighth. We’ve seen a few players and tools attempting to use historical data to predict their drop chances, but because of how regularly we’ve been increasing Legendary drop rates, that data is extremely outdated – and their conclusions extremely inaccurate. In short, your chance of receiving that next Legendary is probably a lot better than you think.

The site says that i should´ve 4 legendaries and i´m 60% towards my 5th on my Mage. My Mage got !! 1 !! Legendary so far. I´m pretty sure the chances are higher than those sites are telling me Kappa
17/02/2017 21:18Posted by Ragesera

The site says that i should´ve 4 legendaries and i´m 60% towards my 5th on my Mage. My Mage got !! 1 !! Legendary so far. I´m pretty sure the chances are higher than those sites are telling me Kappa
Er... You've run 7 Mythic+ on your mage alt and you have the Pyro Bracers (BiS) and you're complaining???
This still doesn't help the fact that my main specs single target is reliant on a single legendary that i haven't had drop yet.

And my other specs just don't have legendaries drop for them so they arent on the same performance levels.
Expansion is still crap
Legendaries should not be included in future expansions if this is going to be the new approach going forward, however much Blizzard like putting there heads in the sand....most people hate this system, just admit your wrong and fix the problems in the next expansion, stop trying to make a broken system work when it is already way too late for that at this point.
Had neck and waist for ages maybe November
The rate at which players acquire Legendary items is a subject that we’ve kept a very close eye on since the launch of Legion. We’ve generally tried to avoid getting into too much technical detail on the system behind your chance to get a Legendary, but we would like to say a bit more on what we’ve done behind-the-scenes up to this point.

As many players have figured out, changes were made to legendary drop rates with patch 7.1 and patch 7.1.5 – when those patches went live, your chance to receive a Legendary increased in pretty much all cases. What you might not have noticed is that we’ve been steadily increasing your chances since then. One of our long-term goals is to allow you to switch specific Legendary items in and out as the situation warrants, and regularly increasing drop chances is one way of ensuring that that happens.

We’ve also made adjustments that leveled off what used to be steady decrease to your chance to get subsequent Legendaries after your first. When Legion launched, every time you earned a Legendary, your starting chance to earn your next one would be lower (and thus, the average time it took you to loot it would be longer). At this stage, however, most players in the Broken Isles are no longer hunting for their first Legendary, and many already have their second. We didn’t want you to feel as though your good fortune in the past equates to harder times in the future, so we normalized drop chances for subsequent Legendaries after your second. Right now, in Patch 7.1.5, your first Legendary has the highest drop chance, the second still has a significant bonus, and then you’ll have the same chances to earn your third Legendary as you will your fourth, fifth, sixth, and so on.

Hey, dude with 6 alts at 890+ says hi.

I have not seen any incremental increases and my very mythic raiding spot relies on my next legendary drop. - I just wont have enough dps for krosus without bracers or belt to compete there.

Please stop putting the perpetual carrot under our noses anymore and just be honest. I have been running an unhealthy amount of m+ (high keys) for two weeks now and have literally got nothing for it. The amount of content I have done this week alone, and all subsequent weeks before my third drop (which was the glorious gloves ((useless)) and chest before that (another brilliant legendary) - has been approximately the amount I spent on my DH to get 4.

What dont you folks at HQ understand about the fact that this system is ruining my gaming experience and just because of luck or the lack of it - I cannot compete at the level I would like to.

Please increase the rate more. Its not enough for the unlucky sobs like me
17/02/2017 21:20Posted by Fq
17/02/2017 21:18Posted by Ragesera
...The site says that i should´ve 4 legendaries and i´m 60% towards my 5th on my Mage. My Mage got !! 1 !! Legendary so far. I´m pretty sure the chances are higher than those sites are telling me Kappa
Er... You've run 7 Mythic+ on your mage alt and you have the Pyro Bracers (BiS) and you're complaining???

People like this make me sick.. I have put in days of effort more than you have, and I would delete every single legendary I have just for that one you have. And you have done.... 7 mythic + and a few LFRs.... Please...

You are the reason they dont take people like me seriously
This clarification should have come MUCH earlier, to avoid speculation based on that dated numbers we had. Personally I thought that the 4th and after seemed to come at same pace (maybe a month or so of regular content clearing... so quite a lot), but because you kept quiet, speculation was speculation.

Just be transparent with your design goals. Don't shy from posting in the forums on serious subjects for months. Have the courage to trust your design philosophy enough so you can discuss with players.

Other than that, this is a GOOD change, it should have been documented IMMEDIATELY as it was introduced. It's not enough, RNG is still ruling this system and there are players with 6 (SIX) bad ones, I still don't have any BiS one either. meanwhile others are playing with BiS for 6 months. Think about this. It's dumb. It's also demotivating - I am no longer farming anything. I just log to raid and then I'm out, swimming, jogging, basketball. It simply ain't fun, the grind is way too much, WoW is an amazing game, but still just a game.
Rng is still rng,I'm not really raiding or farming m+ and I have 2, but still I do lfr, some m+ every week and I see people in my guild who only do the emmissary quests and still have 3. How's that fair or even logical?Screw this game.
Well i gotten my 5th, 6th and 7th after 7.1.5 so i can feel the "buff" they made
Even with these changes(or this state of things) legendary system is still very disturbing.

Even with increased rate for only first two legendaries it reminds me of old RPGs, where you could max wrong stats and "fail" the character, so you had to remake it.
Except here RNG fails it for you and to be competitive a lot of people actually had to remake their characters to get good legendaries and get into progression NH.
And no, "join casual guild" won't help, because if person has 40+ /played days on his character, has 5+ legendaries(so he actually cares about information in this blue post)he probably doesn't want to go casual.

That's not even mentioning the "spec" variety for different encounters, which always was an important part of the game and now it's almost impossible.

P.S. Got 2 BiS single target legendaries myself, got BiS for m+ as well, still think this system is the main thing that makes legion unpleasant to play because it's stupid how hard people actually have to push themselves to beat this RNG sometimes.