Upcoming Class & PvP Changes - Feb 22

Class Development
With the next weekly maintenance, we're planning a large round of PvP tuning changes, as well as a few PvE buffs for Unholy. Please see below for the full list of changes that are currently planned. As always, this may not be the final list - additional tuning may be added or removed before these changes go live.

Classes

Death Knight
  • Unholy
    • Virulent Plague damage over time effect has been increased by 67%. Damage unchanged in PvP.
    • Summon Gargoyle: Gargoyle Strike damage has been increased by 50%. Damage unchanged in PvP.
    • Dark Arbiter: Val'kyr Strike damage has been increased by 16%. Damage unchanged in PvP.

Player versus Player

Death Knight
  • Dark Simulacrum's cooldown has been reduced to 25 seconds (was 30 seconds).
  • Blood
    • Blood Death Knights no longer deal reduced damage in PvP situations (was a reduction of 10%).
  • Unholy
    • Crypt Fever's damage has been reduced by 15%.

Druid
  • Restoration
    • Nourish now reduces the cast time of Healing Touch by 0.2 seconds (was 0.5 seconds).
    • Nourish will now only apply Regrowth's heal over time effect (was both the initial heal and the heal over time effect).
    • Abundance now reduces the cast time of Healing Touch by 5% per Rejuvenation active in PvP situations (was 10%).
    • Fixed a bug that caused Nature's Essence to fail to heal on Wild Growths cast in PvP if the Druid had the Nourish or Overgrowth Honor Talents.

Hunter
  • Survival
    • Caltrops now deals 20% less damage in PvP, and reduces movement speed by 50% (was 70% speed).
    • PvP Template Agility has been reduced by 2.5%.
  • Marksmanship
    • Healing Shell now heals for its full value in PvP.
    • Aimed Shot now deals an additional 5% damage in PvP situations.
    • PvP Template Agility has been increased by 5%.
    • PvP Template Haste has been reduced by 15%.
    • PvP Template Mastery has been increased by 33%.
    • PvP Template Armor has been increased by 20%.
  • Beast Mastery
    • PvP Template Agility has been increased by 5%.
    • PvP Template Haste has been increased by 30%.
    • PvP Template Versatility has been increased by 25%.
    • PvP Template Mastery has been reduced by 25%.
    • PvP Template Critical Strike has been reduced by 30%.
    • PvP Template Armor has been increased by 20%.

Mage
  • Fire
    • Cauterizing Blink's heal has been reduced by 33% in PvP situations.
    • PvP Template Intellect and Stamina have been reduced by 5%.

Paladin
  • Holy
    • Avenging Crusader once again ignores line of sight when healing.
    • Avenging Crusader will now cause Judgment and Crusader Strike to heal even if their damage is absorbed.
    • Fixed a bug that caused Spreading the Word to make Blessing of Freedom trigger Cleanse's cooldown.
  • Retribution
    • PvP Template Strength has been increased by 3%.

Priest
  • Discipline
    • Inner Renewal now causes Power Word: Radiance to refund 25% of its mana cost when self-cast (was 50%).

Rogue
  • Assassination
    • Fixed a bug that caused Deadly Brew's additional free Wound Poison effect to increase to Kingsbane's damage.
    • Poison Bomb's damage has been reduced by 30% in PvP.
    • Wound Poison's healing reduction effect has been reduced to 20% in PvP (24% with Master Poisoner).
    • PvP Template Agility has been reduced by 5%.

Shaman
  • Elemental
    • PvP Template Intellect and Stamina have been increased by 5%.
  • Enhancement
    • Stormstrike deals 20% less damage in PvP (was 15% less damage).
    • PvP Template Agility has been increased by 10%.
    • PvP Template Stamina has been increased by 5%.
  • Restoration
    • PvP Template Versatility has been increased by 30%.

Warrior
  • Arms
    • PvP Template Strength and Stamina has been increased by 5%.
    • PvP Template Armor has been increased by 10%.
    • PvP Template Versatility has been increased by 17%.
  • Fury
    • Endless Rage now increases the duration of Enrage by 1 second (was 2 seconds).

Warlock
  • Destruction
    • Chaos Bolt's damage has been increased by 25% in PvP situations.
    • Reverse Entropy reduces the cast time of Chaos Bolt by 0.25 seconds in PvP situations (was 0.5 seconds).
    • Backdraft reduces the cast time of Chaos Bolt and Incinerate by 15% in PvP situations (was 30%).
  • Demonology
    • PvP Template Intellect has been increased by 5%.
    • PvP Template Haste has been increased by 50%.
    • PvP Template Versatility has been reduced by 25%.
The class fantasy changes made a lot of specs boring or gimmicky, would be super duper if you could maybe undo some of the spec destroying changes.

Like subtlety, with gems as shadow blades (add some melee dmg) or symbols of death (keep up a buff for some flat dmg buff) it has started to feel boring to play (the fact you do 0 burst damage as a ninja/rogue no matter what you do isnt helping with the excitement)

The resto,assn ,fire mage nerfs were pretty warranted tho , neat.
who cares about pve LOL finally healing touch !@#$ is nerfed
18/02/2017 02:55Posted by Richboyhue
who cares about pve LOL finally healing touch !@#$ is nerfed

There's a lot more people doing PvE in any shape or form , from LFR to high end Mythic raiding, than there's people doing PvP, so by your logic, who even cares about PvP x)
can't wait for the !@#$ing Channel Demofire bugfix.
assa rogue, fire mage and rdruid nerf. god thx
This was much needed!
Where is the Demonhunter nerf? :(
1. So you think Frost DKs Single Target Damage is ok in PvP? [A reminder for the fellow casual freaking out: Breath of Sindragosa's Damage is reduced by 40% and Frost DKs Strength is reduced by 25% in PvP]. I think it's a bit low and an adjustment of the primary stat from 75% to 85% would be ok. When the damage is too low, extending in 3v3, especially in a meta that slowly shifts towards casters, becomes even more High Risk/Low Reward.
Of course I might be wrong. Of course you could increase Frost DKs defences to compensate.
Oh, I forgot ... how about some baseline CC btw? :)

2. "Inner Renewal now causes Power Word: Radiance to refund 25% of its mana cost when self-cast (was 50%).".
Honestly, I was afraid, that you guys are going to nerf this into oblivion. Happy you didn't.
That said, the synergy of Inner Renewal and Power Word: Radiance is what made and keeps Disc playable in 3s.
Making Power Word: Shield (it has a 5 seconds cooldown after all) undispellable and unstealable would further help. As far as I understand, you did this with Shaman's Earth Shield too. (Yeah, I know, different classes, different design. Just wanted to point out that things change over time).
Baseline defensive Penance, that is enhanceable via Talents, would also help, in PvP and PvE.

Thanks for your time.
Useless Fury PVP-Talent nerf..... wat?
So a feral druid starts a thread(https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20753207204?page=1) about how he is getting denied because of his spec, an Unholy hijacks the thread and boom! Unholy buffs while feral is getting ignored.
Is this how dev is done in WoW?
Thx for for affliction changes Kappa
nothing about SP?

some pvp talents should be base game.

we want some new spells!

new movement ability would be aprichiated,
somthing like heroic leap. shadow surge?

please give shadow some attention the playstyle
has become very stale lately. give us somthing new to
spice things up.
18/02/2017 02:46Posted by Lore
Unholy
Crypt Fever's damage has been reduced by 15%.

Wait. What?

Hey, why would you nerf Crypt Fever? Why would you even touch Unholy in PvP at the moment? We've been suffering enough until you finally realize in 7.1.5 that unholy was overnerfed and we get some buffs.

TL;DR:
Crypt Fever deals 30% of total damage and it makes unholy viable. By nerfing Crypt Fever I'll (as unholy DK) become less viable in RBGs, compared to boomies, shadow priests, warlocks and other AoE pressure oriented specs.

I'm gonna speak from RBG 2k-2.3k point, since this is the only experience I have in 7.1.5. For 2v2 and 3v3 I didn't hear from my mates (yes, they're playing arenas) that unholy is overpowered - that is the only thing I can say about arenas.

It may sound like "man, 15% is not game-changing nerf", but I tell you that unholy is not so powerful to nerf the spec. It is still not so wide used in RBGs, according to some statistics (e.g. arenamate) frost is still more popular. Popular == viable, because no one gonna play weak spec. And hell yeah, why would you ever touch death knights when there are huge amount of BOOMIES on RBGs? Unholy have always been in a fragile state - it is so easy to brake it with such "tiny" changes, which can lead to some great results (both good and bad for the spec).

Back to "man it's 15% only" thing. On RBGs I deal 25-30% of my damage from Crypt Fever. Another 25-40% - from Virulent Plague. REAL PROBLEM begins when there is a paladin in the enemy team. These pink guys ALMOST ALWAYS peak damned no-brain Pure of Heart/Cleansing Light talents when they see Death Knights. I lose all the 25-40% damage in team fights because of the absolutely no-brain dispells. When I see a paladin with dispells I just put away Virulent Plague from my bar and start spamming Festering Strikes for Festering Wounds like a maniac to refund my damage via Crypt Feaver. AND NOW we get the problem - you're nerfing Crypt Feaver. So what should I do to stay viable in RBGs when there are paladins with Pure of Heart/Cleansing Light talents?

Again, I don't care about 2v2 or 3v3. I'm an RBG player.
I play RBGs with my favorite spec to make huge AoE pressure on enemy team. Since 7.1.5 buffs I can finally play my unholy instead of boring frost. And now you're again nerfing unholy. Why, Blizzard? Is it overpowered or what?

I don't think so, especially when I see in charts some shadow priests and boomies overDPSing me and other classes by 30%. Not always, of course, but it is not a rare thing.

Blizzard, in my opinion this Crypt Fever change should be undone. If you feel that Crypt Fever is overpowered because every unholy death knight play with it - no, it's just we have no other choice in this honor talents row, in my opinion. Pandemic is garbage because of its close radius and because there are paladins with Pure of Heart/Cleansing Light talents. Wandering Plague by itself is garbage, and is brainless talent - it does less damage compared to Crypt Fever and again doesn't work with dispells. If you've ever seen any death knight playing with these 2 talents instead of Crypt Fever let me know, but I expect that there were none of them. So instead of nerfing the most popular talent you better do something with other two in the row, like you did for warlocks. Yeah, I know, such changes are not planned for 7.2 (it is x.y.5-stuff), but just please don't touch Crypt Fever for "we have to do something with fifth row right now" scenario. Or I can say that I'm ok with this nerf, but please do something with Pure of Heart/Cleansing Light talents to compensate damage loss if there is a paladin in enemy team, since I'm not using my dots in this situation and spamming Crypt Fevers instead.

Thanks.
Blood Death Knights no longer deal reduced damage in PvE situations (was a reduction of 10%).

Fixed the typo!
And where may I ask are the Destruction pve changes as promised?
These pvp changes show you have either not read the forums these past months, or have not understood, or you're just ignoring them.
Blood DK's are also in need of damage and mobility fixes for pve. Are these incoming soon?

Is this just going to be another post where you give us information, then fail to respond to our feedback?
18/02/2017 02:46Posted by Lore

Warlock
  • Destruction
    • Chaos Bolt's damage has been increased by 25% in PvP situations.
    • Reverse Entropy reduces the cast time of Chaos Bolt by 0.25 seconds in PvP situations (was 0.5 seconds).
    • Backdraft reduces the cast time of Chaos Bolt and Incinerate by 15% in PvP situations (was 30%).
  • Demonology
    • PvP Template Intellect has been increased by 5%.
    • PvP Template Haste has been increased by 50%.
    • PvP Template Versatility has been reduced by 25%.

Why do you people not test properly before hitting the basic damage dealing spell of a spec with 35%!!! nerfs?
Why did I have to stop PVPing for a month before you simply reversed it? (25% + 9% in a previous hotfix).
These are beginner mistakes made by a veteran company.
These are not even challenging mechanical changes with difficult to predict effects on a class.
It is a simple number tuning that you so grossly miscalculated.
18/02/2017 11:55Posted by Mysticdude
And where may I ask are the Destruction pve changes as promised?
These pvp changes show you have either not read the forums these past months, or have not understood, or you're just ignoring them.
Blood DK's are also in need of damage and mobility fixes for pve. Are these incoming soon?

Is this just going to be another post where you give us information, then fail to respond to our feedback?

uhm no mention because these are mainly the pvp tuning fixes with the addition of pve damage tuning for unh dks? Mobility fixes cant be hotfixed at all and would need a minor patch, if they are done at all.

So Assa will be replaced by arms, k.
No help for Affli dispell protection at all, k.
Nothing to help SP survival/being trained to the ground, or changes to EoI or reversal of VT nerf to 0 because the pve changes were enough.
Little help for ele at least.
No nerfs for Balance druids, k...............

Little meta changes cause of the Assa/fire mage nerfs change to frost/sub or arms+rnd melee maybe turbo, tsg.

Nothing to bring fun/skills back.
I'm actually quite surprised as the devs generally stop pushing class balance hotfixes after the first two weeks of a new raid.

Me and many others would love it if the devs could be more active with class balance hotfixes throughout the course of the expansion.

If you notice a spec performing poorly, then why not push a hotfix to buff them by an appropriate amount and then collect and examine new data to see if more buffs are needed? Otherwise, those players that are playing those specs will have to wait weeks for the next 7.X.5 patch and hope that their spec gets attention, which can easily ruin those player's game experience.
are you high or something?