PTR Development Notes - Build 23657

7.2 PTR General Discussion
This week, we’re still focused primarily on stability and raid testing, as well as finding as many bugs as possible, as we continue to make adjustments and tweaks to 7.2 content.

You’ll see the return of Thaumaturge Vashreen to the Broken Shore, once again selling tokens that can be exchanged for gear. Those items still need a little work before they’re ready for testing, but we wanted to provide some extra context on what to expect from them:

The Dauntless tokens are similar to the gear tokens that were available through the Timeless Isle or Tanaan Jungle in previous expansions, and have the same overall intent: as catch-up gear for alts or newer characters. For Legion, we’ve extended that general concept with the Relinquished tokens. These will always reward gear with a higher item level than the Dauntless tokens, and sometimes, you’ll receive a piece of dungeon, raid, or PvP gear instead. Our basic intent is for you to use these to shore up “weak spots” in your characters gear, but in rare circumstances, it can even give a Legendary for that slot, according to your loot specialization. That’ll be very uncommon, and the fastest/most reliable way to get a Legendary will still be through other content, but if there’s one in particular that you really want, buying these tokens might be a good use of your Nethershards.

Note that the actual cost of these items hasn’t yet been determined, and their contents aren’t bug-free, but we hope to have them ready for testing in next week’s push.

You may also notice that the line “May contain a Legendary item” has been removed from the tooltip for these tokens. This is only a tooltip change; their actual chance to grant a Legendary has not changed. This is more to avoid confusion than anything else, particularly for the sort of player who doesn’t keep up with the news on the forums or fansites. Realistically, these tokens can be nearly anything from the Broken Isles, so it seemed unnecessary to call out Legendaries specifically in the tooltip.

Lastly, we’re planning to organize another Broken Shore stress test sometime in the coming few days, and looking into ways to make it a bit more exciting this time around. Keep an eye out for more details as soon as those plans are finalized.

Happy testing!
What about class challenges for the artifact appearance, will they be testable?
give me trap launcher :/
Is the bad luck protection being taken into account for those tokens ? Is it building any ?
28/02/2017 21:42Posted by Lore
the fastest/most reliable way to get a Legendary will still be through other content
Firstly, there is nothing fast or reliable about legendary acquisition and your choice of wording there is disheartening to those of us without our BiS.

Several questions.

A) Will these tokens have Bad Luck Protection? If so, is it the same BLP as legendaries in general or a seperate counter?

B) Hypothetically do you want to farm a bunch of content, hope you don't get a legendary then spam open a bunch of tokens for the slot you want?

C) Most importantly, is the legendary chance boosted by the "get your first two legendaries super easy" bonus? If it is, you are ENCOURAGING people to level a new class, get their 2 BiS from tokens relatively easily then move on.
28/02/2017 21:42Posted by Lore
Our basic intent is for you to use these to shore up “weak spots” in your characters gear, but in rare circumstances, it can even give a Legendary for that slot, according to your loot specialization. That’ll be very uncommon, and the fastest/most reliable way to get a Legendary will still be through other content, but if there’s one in particular that you really want, buying these tokens might be a good use of your Nethershards.

Extremely disappointed by this paragraph. Thousands of players (myself included here) have been waiting very patiently for some kind of change to this awful Legendary system, and after all this time - almost 6 months into the expansion - what you're telling us is that the best way to get Legendaries is just to carry on doing what we're doing and hope we get lucky, because it's going to be pretty unlikely to get one from this new Nethershard system... well that's just fantastic.

I currently have 6 Legendaries (good for me right?) none of which are considered in the top 3 'BiS' for my spec, and just when it looked like there was hope on the horizon, we're told just just carry on and let the dice roll again. At this point in the expansion, I really don't understand why sweeping changes aren't being made to fix this system and give the player base the relief we're desperate for.

Excluding my first two which I got relatively quickly and close together, I'm on average getting one Legendary every 6-8 weeks or so. Now I know that nothing is really changing, maybe I'll finally get all my BiS Destro Legendaries by the end of summer... and then maybe I can work towards getting the BiS ones for my other TWO specs. Unimpressed.
Warrior T20 Fury 4P Bonus

Raging Blow increases the damage and healing of your next Bloodthirst / Inner Rage by 50% / 20%, stacking up to 10 times

Call me underwhelmed. In what instance will we hold Bloodthirst for 45 seconds or have the rage to pull off 10 Raging Blows in a short enough window for this to be viable?

I understand you want to shake things up/Make Fury warriors choose something other than the Inner Rage talent.

I dont think this is the way to go unfortunately. If this iteration will stick, Then T19 Mythic titanforged will be the way to go over this.

I know you can do better than this. Making it interact with Bloodthirst is what's bad about this. Our primary enrage source, and you want us to hold out on this for a 50% damage buff to Bloodthirst, and wants us to hold on using it to make it hit harder.

I'm just disappointed that this will probably be the iteration that goes live.
Ilvl of the items these Dauntless and Relinquished tokens provide?
That’ll be very uncommon, and the fastest/most reliable way to get a Legendary will still be through other content...

Are you taking the piss?
!@#$ this legendary bollocks. 6 months in and the devs are so out of touch it's unbelievable.
28/02/2017 22:03Posted by Antonmuppen
give me trap launcher :/

make a macro... /cast [@Player] Explosive Trap , or claptrops, whatever you need, dropped on your feet, not ideal, but fixes the problem for now
This sounds very much like you're saying 'hey guys, you know how we are trying to get rid of that endless farming for AP? Well we've replaced that with endless farming for nethershards to buy these tokens, however its not actually going to benefit you in any way because your best way to get a legendary is going to be to keep doing exactly what you've been doing all this time'
What is the point in putting in yet another system that again relies very heavily on RNG and more farming?
Ion joked at the Q&A saying 'oh yeah, because we so obviously love RNG in everything' and my thought was 'Well, yes, as evidenced by pretty much every aspect of this expansion, yeah you really do love RNG because it is much easier game design than coming up with an imaginative system that promotes fair play.'
Why joke about it as if you don't when the reality of the situation proves completely differently?
Even before Legion beta there was a rumor that few of Diablo 3 devs moved to WoW team, back then i joked around:

"well cool, we will get Kadala and blood shards RNG in game."

And now we got her. Honestly Kadala RNG system even in Diablo 3 where you can grind out large quantities of currency in a shot time was EXTREMELY unsatisfying. Completely and utterly demotivating, translating it into WoW is too much honestly.

Now, not only that ill have to grind OH Resources for those Knowledge Upgrades, which honestly by the looks of the increase that they give, you need to start to research at once, leaving minimal windows between researches, Ill have to Grind AP for those upgrades, BUT also new currency for Kadala too.

I wont go into how much stuff is there to Grind as soon as you hit 110, ill get a headache, BUT even me, who is medicore player feels the tow of not playing ONE DAY thinking on stuff that hes already missing and feeling quite bad because i know that i will HAVE TO make some WoW time in two next days. Forced.

No wonder that some of Mythic Guilds decided to step down.
I can honestly only see this new token system as yet another method to keep players inside the hamster wheel of grinding content that everyone has seen and done for months already. LFR, Emmissary quests, Mythic +? I would drop that content the moment I would get the legendary I want so that I can focus on alts.

I won't be making another alt character though, since doing that would mean plunging myself into another case of being subject to something as trivial as chance.

I would like to note that the catchup-mechanics could be nice for alts, but it is infinitely more disappointing for people's main character wishes. People want a way to properly TARGET certain legendaries and this has been pleaded for since only a short time after launch.

In the end, I think that responding to those pleas with a system like this, after half a year, will only contribute to systematically growing more and more frustration amongst your player base.

People do not want to be bound to hopeless RNG mechanics like these, but need a clear view of the/a finish line in this game. Yet the number of such mechanics seem to only keep increasing. The only main reason for this that I could think of is binding players to keep playing content that would otherwise have been seen and done long ago.

But hey, off to the next 835 piece of garbage it is, because it could be, after 6 months of daily farm, be the only item that I want for my main character. I will keep swallowing now, but if it would look like

-We can finally target in the last 1/2 months of the expansion, after which (these) legendaries will no longer be relevant, or
-Players can expect to be thrown into more newly designed systems that are
increasingly focused on mechanisms like these,

I'd rather start playing a different game, even though I loved legion so far and even though I think everything else so far has been a big improvement compared to previous expansions.