Inky Black Potion

General
Why isn't the effect of this potion a setting you can toggle in the Interface menu?
There are a lot of friends on this. Everyone seems to love them and wish it was just a setting.
I would be surprised if Blizzard didn't make it a setting after how popular they were.
Then again knowing Blizzard they will probably limit players to 10 potions in their bag so they can "look forward to Darkmoon Faire".
08/04/2017 18:40Posted by Hjarta
Why isn't the effect of this potion a setting you can toggle in the Interface menu?
It's not for lack of people asking. It seems every day there's a new thread asking for this.
wink, wink, nudge, nudge
08/04/2017 18:43Posted by Ixenn
Then again knowing Blizzard they will probably limit players to 10 potions in their bag so they can "look forward to Darkmoon Faire".

Or remove them completely. The fun police's job is never done.
Just reminded me to buy some :P

Bought 400 - Should last me until next darkmoon XD
i LOVE this potion so much, but it being in the setting would be so handy. I wish you could make it even more darker too if they bring out an option :D Ive bought hundreds of potions! \o/
I would literally only ever play at night with this as the default (or toggled)

It makes the glow effects in the world pop. It gives the environment the WoW factor back. I don't know what grumpy miscreant would decry this being the default night-time. But clearly they've lost sight of this game being a World.
A guildie just traded me the potion. The effect in Durotar gave me vanilla feels. It has to be a setting or default during night. No discussion. Besides, implementing this would require nearly no resources on Blizzard's behalf at all.
Has anyone gone to see the firelands with the potion? IT'S GLORIOUS
These are fun :) ... bought one or two and put them in the guild bank for the guys to have a try too!
08/04/2017 18:40Posted by Hjarta

Because that would make sense, and we can't have things going around that make sense now can we?
But in all seriousness, I like to hope that this was sort of a "test run" to see how players would react to an effect like that and that if the feedback was positive (which it was) they would consider doing more with it in the future (like, it being a permanent option in the settings)
Well, if they have implemented the effect for the potion, alternative ways of triggering it like a setting or a toy should not be a problem.

I tried it myself. Very atmospheric.

Since I play almost entirely at night, though, I'd hate to be forced into it permanently.
They probably didn't expect it to be this popular, otherwise it would have been advertised as a 7.2 feature to attract more subs. A test run wouldn't be attached to an item that wasn't officially announced in any way either, since far less players might test it.

I expect they've been fairly smug and had a "you think you do but you don't" attitude over darker nights and just threw the potion in quietly to either shut us up or so they could refer later to how it's barely used, or players complained it made things too dark to see. Then they'd enjoy a nice "told them so" and a laugh around the office table over coffee.

Of course, the exact opposite has happened and darker night potions are a massive success and highly popular. This has probably taken the devs by surprise. I expect it to take a few months at least for them to get over being salty and stubborn, when they'll then add it as a highly advertised feature and pretend it was their favorite idea all along.
Probably quite a few reasons:
1) It's easier to test that way, not everyone plays at night and thus wouldn't have seen this effect under normal condtions.
2) It's still in development: it completely replaces skybox and I'd guess that transition is still not ready.
3) To avoid action camera effect with clueless people activating it and considering it a bug.
They should've made it a toy though, I don't see any reasons to make player waste bag slots on this potion.
08/04/2017 21:15Posted by Арданиф
Probably quite a few reasons:
1) It's easier to test that way, not everyone plays at night and thus wouldn't have seen this effect under normal condtions.
2) It's still in development: it completely replaces skybox and I'd guess that transition is still not ready.
3) To avoid action camera effect with clueless people activating it and considering it a bug.
They should've made it a toy though, I don't see any reasons to make player waste bag slots on this potion.

Yeah! a toy would be awesome!
Toy would be good, setting would be better. I only play about half an hour at night, wasting 3 quarters of the potion.
Just make it an option in the menu plz
Druid Class hall was stunningly beautiful with that potion. The lanterns, and light effects were stunningly beautiful. Blizzard has very talented people in their art team, and I could have never noticed some of the finer details - especially on light and visual ambiance , when it not been on the potion.

This should be option on default!
At first when I used it I was like "nice, that's actually looks good", when I went into nighthold I was like "..." (no words to describe how amazing it looks).

Definitely one of the best things introduced to this game, visualwise speaking.
I'd also love to see these dark nights as default :), or an ingame option would also be cool (: