PSA: Creatures now scale with item level

General
Prev 1 2 3 4 45 Next
So what's the point in gearing up if you don't raid?

Zero character progression if world mobs are never going to get easier with increased ilvl.

Most idiotic change ever, I can see several of my friends whom do not raid quitting over this.
I'm the kind of player very different to most... I log on maybe an hour a week and either do a WQ or a BG. Progression is ultra slow but happens

If NPCs all scale with ilevel what is the point in raising it?

Bizzare

It doesn't really bother me as such as I have been wondering why I pay for a game I play so little, but if this is not a bug then it seems developers do not understand the way that a feeling of progression matters to people.

Was it on the ptr like this?
Check this out: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20753815996
moderator renamed thread to "Ilvl scailing feedback" - well, thats a feature )

This looks like a new trend of blizzard devs, implement crap that nobody wanted and nobody asked for. Just like primal ancients in D3. Nobody saw that coming, and then bam! 2.5, suck it.
Apologies for the delay in getting information out on this - our initial focus was on putting out other patch-day fires.

Yes, this reflects a deliberate change, but it's also not working exactly as we intended. The scaling may be too steep, and the fact that unequipping a piece of gear can ever be helpful is a bug in the system. We'll be looking into making changes to correct this in the very near future.

Power progression is an essential part of the WoW endgame, and the last thing we want is to undermine that. We stressed the importance of that progression when discussing how the level-scaling system worked in Legion around the time of the expansion's launch, and explained why we then had no plans to scale foes' power based on gear. But as we've watched Legion unfold, we've come to observe some side-effects of our endgame content plan and the associated rewards structure that made us reconsider.

We've never had the initial outdoor world content stay relevant for this long in an expansion before. By the end of Mists of Pandaria, for example, the mantid of Dread Wastes that had once been reasonable foes were completely trivial. They'd basically evaporate if a raid-geared player looked in their general direction. But there wasn't much reason besides achievements or completionism to revisit the Klaxxi dailies once Isle of Thunder was out or, later on, Timeless Isle. And the enemies in those later zones could be tuned to a proportionally more challenging baseline difficulty.

But in Legion, while the new content in Broken Shore is the focus of 7.2, and we've made sure that the core outdoor rewards (both dropped and from Nethershards) are superior to the rep-related rewards from the original factions, the intent is not for the Broken Shore to completely replace the rest of the game. You'll still go back to the other Broken Isles zones for emissaries, Legion Assaults (coming next week!), Order campaign quests, improved world quest rewards, and more. And as 7.1 and 7.1.5 progressed, we could see that even with Nighthold gear the pacing of combat was getting a bit silly - what would happen once new content made that level of gear more common, and once the Tomb raid pushed limits even higher?

To reiterate, power progression is an essential part of the WoW endgame. We absolutely want you to feel overpowered as you return to steamroll content that once was challenging. But there's a threshold beyond which the game's core mechanics start to break down. When someone trying to wind up a 2.5sec cast can't get a nuke off against a quest target before another player charges in and one-shots it, that feels broken. And even for the Mythic-geared bringer of death and destruction, when everything dies nearly instantly, you spend more time looting corpses than you do making them. You spend an order of magnitude longer traveling to a quest location than you do killing the quest target. You stop using your core class abilities and instead focus on spamming instants to tap mobs as quickly as possible before they die.

Our goal is basically to safeguard against that degenerate extreme. We tune outdoor combat for a fresh 110 around a 12-15sec duration against a standard non-elite, non-boss enemy. It's great for gear, over the course of an expansion to cut that time in half, or even by two-thirds. But once you get down to a duration of one or two global cooldowns, the game just wasn't built to support that as the norm. (Note that this is an current-content endgame concern; running legacy content for completion/transmog/etc. purposes is a totally different story.)

The intent of our change in 7.2 was to smooth out that progression curve a bit, not flatten it out, and certainly never to invert it. If you get a great set of item upgrades that make you 5% stronger, maybe the world gets 1-2% tougher. Perhaps instead of getting 400% stronger over the course of the expansion relative to the outdoor world, you only get 250% stronger. But you should always be getting more powerful in relative terms, and upgrades should always matter. From some reactions so far, it sounds like we may be off on that tuning. And as noted above, the fact that unequipping items can ever be helpful is a bug that we'll be investigating and fixing.

Finally, there's the natural question of why we didn't patch-note this. It was not to be deceptive; we know it's impossible to hide a change from millions of players. But the system was meant to feel largely transparent and subtle, just like level-scaling does if you don't stop and really think about it, and so we did want players to first experience the change organically. Your feedback and reactions and first impressions of the system are more useful in this particular case when they are not skewed by the experience of logging in and actively trying to spot the differences. Thank you for that, and I look forward to continued discussion.
29/03/2017 05:59Posted by Drakgore
Rewards scale to same ilvl fine, if not this change means game over.

Excellent point. I'm expected to do a world quest with mobs scaling to my ilvl of 880 in return for a 860 reward? Absolute bull!@#$.
@Watcher cool story.

And why we have to wait next week for invasions? What's the deal?
Right, watcher.

You've got to reverse this, yesterday.

I can actually see your game dying over this.
If what I read is true, the incentive to get better gear was actually removed.
It makes no sense, obtain higher ilevel gear and the mobs are harder to kill?

The very fact that players are removing gear is a testament that this clearly is not a good idea.
29/03/2017 06:49Posted by Watcher
Our goal is basically to safeguard against that degenerate extreme. We tune outdoor combat for a fresh 110 around a 12-15sec duration against a standard non-elite, non-boss enemy. It's great for gear, over the course of an expansion to cut that time in half, or even by two-thirds. But once you get down to a duration of one or two global cooldowns, the game just wasn't built to support that as the norm. (Note that this is an current-content endgame concern; running legacy content for completion/transmog/etc. purposes is a totally different story.)

So basically we all are being punished by a problem developers created in the first place by making mythic raid gear so much more powerful than ordinary gear?
29/03/2017 04:31Posted by Quellathion
I personally like this, because it encourages me to learn the game and/or my class, i don't mind spending an extra 50 seconds to finish a world quest.
Of course I can see that the numbers can get pretty ridiculous, and I still think that they should implement these changes as of right now. Maybe nerf the numbers a little bit to not make the scaling worse than nessecary. They should also make it so it uses your overall ilvl (Meaning: items from bank, bags & equipped) over your equipped ilvl only.

My point is, it makes it boring as hell when there's no challenge whatsoever when you've reached a certain ilvl.

You are aware that core concept of each RPG is progressing you character and making it stronger? In this way, there is literally zero point in gearing up (except for raids), because everything is on the same relative page.

That said, this is most likely a bug. Blizzard wouldn't implement such silly mechanic.

Regards,
Imm
Your feedback and reactions and first impressions of the system are more useful in this particular case when they are not skewed by the experience of logging in and actively trying to spot the differences

Then why don't you do this for all your changes like class balance? Basically you are turning live servers into PTR, so we have to pay subscription fee to test how game may look like. I can see reasons for this: your PTR team suck so freaking hard.

If you get a great set of item upgrades that make you 5% stronger, maybe the world gets 1-2% tougher

Lets go kill some boars in valley of trials for 890 loot.
29/03/2017 07:12Posted by Immortall
You are aware that core concept of each RPG is progressing you character and making it stronger? In this way, there is literally zero point in gearing up (except for raids), because everything is on the same relative page.

That said, this is most likely a bug. Blizzard wouldn't implement such silly mechanic.

[/quote]
Look 5 posts above you. :(

This ranks in the top 4 worst things I've ever seen in WoW, and may be unsub-worthy, though I would be very sad about that.

But in Legion, while the new content in Broken Shore is the focus of 7.2, and we've made sure that the core outdoor rewards (both dropped and from Nethershards) are superior to the rep-related rewards from the original factions, the intent is not for the Broken Shore to completely replace the rest of the game. You'll still go back to the other Broken Isles zones for emissaries, Legion Assaults (coming next week!), Order campaign quests, improved world quest rewards, and more. And as 7.1 and 7.1.5 progressed, we could see that even with Nighthold gear the pacing of combat was getting a bit silly - what would happen once new content made that level of gear more common, and once the Tomb raid pushed limits even higher?

Finally, there's the natural question of why we didn't patch-note this. It was not to be deceptive; we know it's impossible to hide a change from millions of players. But the system was meant to feel largely transparent and subtle, just like level-scaling does if you don't stop and really think about it, and so we did want players to first experience the change organically. Your feedback and reactions and first impressions of the system are more useful in this particular case when they are not skewed by the experience of logging in and actively trying to spot the differences. Thank you for that, and I look forward to continued discussion.

So you are saying that even people that have faced the mythic nighthold fights or people that have defeated mythic guldan, should get PENALIZED for having the gear they have when fighting BEARS or MURLOCS?

Get real, you are so out of touch with reality I am starting to question if you are alive at all.

Also, you didn't Patch Note it because you knew what was going to happen. And even when YOU LIED and HID this from the playerbase you know it will be a smaller outrage than if you had patch noted it.

Absolute scumbaggery. No wonder WoW is bleeding subs with this condescending attitude being your idea of customer service.

"You think you, but you don't", right?
Apologies for the delay in getting information out on this - our initial focus was on putting out other patch-day fires.

Yes, this reflects a deliberate change, but it's also not working exactly as we intended. The scaling may be too steep, and the fact that unequipping a piece of gear can ever be helpful is a bug in the system. We'll be looking into making changes to correct this in the very near future.

Power progression is an essential part of the WoW endgame, and the last thing we want is to undermine that. We stressed the importance of that progression when discussing how the level-scaling system worked in Legion around the time of the expansion's launch, and explained why we then had no plans to scale foes' power based on gear. But as we've watched Legion unfold, we've come to observe some side-effects of our endgame content plan and the associated rewards structure that made us reconsider.

We've never had the initial outdoor world content stay relevant for this long in an expansion before. By the end of Mists of Pandaria, for example, the mantid of Dread Wastes that had once been reasonable foes were completely trivial. They'd basically evaporate if a raid-geared player looked in their general direction. But there wasn't much reason besides achievements or completionism to revisit the Klaxxi dailies once Isle of Thunder was out or, later on, Timeless Isle. And the enemies in those later zones could be tuned to a proportionally more challenging baseline difficulty.

To reiterate, power progression is an essential part of the WoW endgame. We absolutely want you to feel overpowered as you return to steamroll content that once was challenging. But there's a threshold beyond which the game's core mechanics start to break down. When someone trying to wind up a 2.5sec cast can't get a nuke off against a quest target before another player charges in and one-shots it, that feels broken. And even for the Mythic-geared bringer of death and destruction, when everything dies nearly instantly, you spend more time looting corpses than you do making them. You spend an order of magnitude longer traveling to a quest location than you do killing the quest target. You stop using your core class abilities and instead focus on spamming instants to tap mobs as quickly as possible before they die.

The intent of our change in 7.2 was to smooth out that progression curve a bit, not flatten it out, and certainly never to invert it. If you get a great set of item upgrades that make you 5% stronger, maybe the world gets 1-2% tougher. Perhaps instead of getting 400% stronger over the course of the expansion relative to the outdoor world, you only get 250% stronger. But you should always be getting more powerful in relative terms, and upgrades should always matter. From some reactions so far, it sounds like we may be off on that tuning. And as noted above, the fact that unequipping items can ever be helpful is a bug that we'll be investigating and fixing.

No

Just no

You said you'd improve communication and now you don't talk about huge changes like this

You said you'd take feedback into account but you're going to ignore feedback and keep on course with this terrible scaling idea

Every terrible idea, like RNG legendaries, infinite AP farm, ridiculous titanforging/warforging, no flying, everything the players hate and want you to change, you keep pushing ahead with because you think you know best

You don't

You're an unprofessional, sneaky, untalented liar

A fair point of view. I am satisfied with this reasoning.

The point beeing that killing mobs isnt satisfactory when you one shot them but more fun when you can atleast smash them for abit before they die.

As well as the point of low geared players runing around not having chance to even tag a mob before it dies.

I was completely against this in the start but I am satisfied with this now and excited to give it a go.

But I do not agree with your statement that its best to not inform your playerbase about this to not color their experience.

For me its a thing with trust, as in what other changes might happen with no warning? What else is going to be changed contradicting earlier statements? And the trust towards blizzards statements and their interviews.

If a player isnt able to give constructive feedback due to pre-change statements or patch notes, then that player isnt worth listening to in the first place. Sorry for beeing so blunt but thats true.

How are we suposed to have a good and constructive dialouge if the player is beeing left in the dark?
I didn't find any difference IG, but my AP on char IG is 905.

maybe you measly trolls go IG and test it instead of crying here and copy/paste USA forum whiners hahaha
LOUD NOISES

ye how about no - you made a dick move because you knew how community will react

and we will fight it by ridiculing it by taking down gear and artificially lowering our itlv and power of mobs instead keeping it on to show you how we hate retarded changes

the only way this woudl make sense would be if wq rewards would scale up with gear too - aka 900 itlv player would be geting lets say 5xbase amount of ap that 850 one does - same with gear - if 900 itlv player would be eting baseline of lets say 890 itlv drops with chance of wf/tf not !@#$ty 860 ones.
Alright, the devs are entering damage control mode. Crazy that they thought people wouldnt realize those changes.

Truth is, games are not designed solely to create "fun" anymore (not all games). I face this at work often (working in the game industry). Marketing factors enter the equation way too often. This is something understandable, a company needs to make money.
BUT, this is a deal breaker when the designs implemented are pretty much opposed to what a lot of people would consider fun. Time gating for example, facebook games type features.
29/03/2017 07:30Posted by Thereturn
I didn't find any difference IG, but my AP on char IG is 905.

maybe you measly trolls go IG and test it instead of crying here and copy/paste USA forum whiners hahaha

I'm ilvl 905. Removing my belt and dropping to 850 ilvl the shamblers in Shalaran go from 980k hp to 620k.

So 50% increase for 50 ilvl...

Bloody ridiculous.