Top 15 Lore fails in WoW - my rating :)

Story
Although fantasy as a genre allows certain stretches, some moments just make us shake our heads in disbelief. We call these moments "lorelols" or "lorefails".
And there are plenty of fails in World of Warcraft storytelling. After all, the game is already quite old and a long list could be made 

1.Who corrupted who? Eredar corrupted Sargeras or vice versa?

Yah, this is the famous “Draenei Controversy”. The story goes like that: There was a Warcraft III manual. And there also was a lootable book in World of Warcraft called : “Sargeras and the Betrayal”. The story presented there was like that : “Though Sargeras' nearly limitless powers were more than enough to defeat the vile eredar, he was greatly troubled by the creatures' corruption and all-consuming evil”.
Very good. So when Burning Crusade was announced, the official draenei storyline presented was this one: “Unfortunately the eredar's accomplishments caught the attention of Sargeras, the Destroyer of Worlds. He had already begun his Burning Crusade to eradicate all life from the cosmos, and he believed that the brilliant eredar would be pivotal in leading the vast demonic army he was gathering. Thus, he contacted the eredar's three most prominent leaders: Kil'jaeden, Archimonde, and Velen. In exchange for the loyalty of the eredar race, Sargeras offered untold power and knowledge.“
Players, of course, immediately noticed the contradiction. So what happened? Well Blizzard forgot their own story. “The obvious lore contradiction with Sargeras and his encounter with the eredar was clearly documented in the Warcraft III manual. I wrote those bits about four years ago, and to be totally honest, I simply forgot. Genius, right?”, wrote Chris Metzen. So yeah – we screwed up, it’s our fault – but no, we won’t reverse the story, we’ll adopt the new one as official.

2. Kalec loves Anveena that's not a girl, but an essence from the Sunwell, oh wut?

This makes even Terry Brooks look cool (cough, Amberle, cough).
OK, I never understood that guy, Kalecgos. No wait, he’s not a guy. He’s a dragon. OK, it’s easy to get confused – Kalec for some reasons doesn’t like female dragons – instead, he’s attracted to human girls. Jaina, OK, I get it… But Anveena – she was not even a girl. She was an avatar of the Sunwell, an embodiment of its powers. Can you swallow this one? Depends on the person. You may call it brilliant fantasy. I call it bad writing

3. There must always be ... (thunder) a Lich King

Why, Blizzard, why? OK, you need a guy up there in the citadel so he can hold up the other undead and prevent them from not destroying Azeroth. A dog on a leash. But many players never understood this. Because during the events of Warcraft III : The Frozen Throne, the Lich King also lost control over the undead. But they didn’t go all crazy, they didn’t destroy Azeroth. Instead, many of them formed another faction – the Forsaken. Another example of obvious lore contradiction.

4. Pop culture references in early Alliance zones

There’s one thing I hate more than a poorly written story – it’s a story copy/pasted from a movie/another book etc etc. I don’t mind pop-culture references, as long as they’re hidden and not central to the storyline. However, when the storyline revolves around Horatio Laine (Caine) and John Keeshan (Rambo), it’s not cool. It ruined my immersion. The homeless problem in Stormwind and the rise of the Defias Brotherhood – it could be original and a well written story without that Horatio Caine mish mash.

5. Indiana (Harrison) Jones

Ditto.

6. Thrall's wedding

Thrall in the post-WOTLK era is a horribly written character. I hate him. The literary flaws are so many and obvious and I don’t want to dedicate another post to him. I’ll just vent my frustration here – not only I was forced to watch his poor development during the course of a whole expansion, but I had to help him get married. No, Blizz, I didn’t want to help him get married, I wanted to kill him. And I still want to kill him, I don’t know why it isn’t obvious.

7. Tirion Fordring didn’t care about the Forsaken in the Plaguelands

Looks like the two factions – Argent Crusade and the Forsaken lived in two separate bubbles. The Forsaken plagued the lands … and Tirion apparently didn’t seem to care. Why? My guess is lazy writing. Now this story is left hanging and there won’t be a conclusion – Tirion Fordring is now dead. Great!!!

8. Malfurion works alongside the Horde

This was never explained. A character forced into Neutrality so bad that it’s no longer the character we knew from Warcraft III. Back in Warcraft III orcs killed Cenarius and there was an enmity between them and the elves. Now this enmity is gone. Meanwhile, Cenarius is back alive, and in Cata it got revived in a lame way – he stepped through a portal… BANNG!!! I’m alive!

9. The Monkey king

In Mists of Pandaria Garrosh went crazy with his obsession of mogu/pandaren relics and super weapon. But while the Horde got a cool story which involved infiltrating Darnassus, the Alliance had to meet a Monkey king. Unimpressive.

10. We scouted Orgrimmar with a robotic cat

Another example about how one of the two factions had a better development. Prior to Orgrimmar, in patch 5.3, there was an awesome Horde story about how liberate Razor Hill… Meanwhile what did the Alliance do? They scouted the outskirts of Orgrimmar with a robotic cat. That’s right – a robotic cat.

11. We go and raid Orgrimmar, but then we leave without any reparations.

This was a common Alliance complaint during the whole course of Mists of Pandaria. Why should they raid Orgrimmar and remove Garrosh, and then leave without any reparations? I don’t know, but this is exactly what happened. Now when even Dalaran, the so called Alliance fist bump, was made back neutral, the whole Alliance-Horde conflict seems to be for naught.

12. Hey, daddy, I’m Garrosh Hellscream and I come from another timeline.

Oh wait, this is the so called Warlords of Draenor alternative time travel fiction. Although I’m personally a fan of well written time travel fiction, there’s a reason why there are very few famous time travel books. You have to be an awfully good writer in order to get all these time paradoxes right. The Warcraft Universe has one of the worst time travel plots I’ve ever seen.

13. Azeroth is a titan

In my opinion, this is the epitome of bad writing. Just like Blizzard’s writers are not good enough like H.G.Wells (see point 12), they aren’t good enough like Stanislav Lem. And Azeroth as something like Solaris isn’t believable. Prior to Legion the cosmology of the Universe was somewhat intriguing, mysterious, but still somewhat believable. No more.

14. Illidan - Child of the light (and shadow) crap

Illidan is a villain. He has always been a villain. Sure, as a character he has certain nuances that make him interesting from a literary point of view. But making him a “child of the light”, a chosen one from the naaru is a step too far. Yes, I do believe that Illidan should be redeemed – but this should only happen through his actions. Not just because he’s the chosen one of a random prophecy.

15. Turalyon and Alleria are now officially ruined

If 13. is the epitome of bad writing, the case with Turalyon and Alleria is the epitome of discontinuity. OK, I know that there was always some kind of discontinuity between the games. For example, early Warcraft games had God, not Light, and Stormwind was called Stonewind. But after the Warcraft franchise became famous with million fans, Blizzard gave us some great books about the Alliance of Lordaeron and the great heroes of the past. Then immediately after that they started ruining those characters, either by converting to neutrality, or by other means. Tirion Fordring lived in a bubble, not caring about the Forsaken, as I already pointed out. Khadgar was turned into a neutral hippie. And now Turalyon and Alleria, which that thousands of years war and the Army of the Light – they’re no longer the characters I knew and I cared about.

So… what is your favourite “lorefail” moment?
Illidan wasn't always a Villain he's always been the grimdark brooding anti-hero to Malfurions noblebright hero. His thing has always been his struggle between his ambition and his duty; his difficulty making the right choice and his feelings of inferiority towards his brother despite being clearly as if not more powerful than him.
02/04/2017 19:13Posted by Tagolohu
Illidan wasn't always a Villain he's always been the grimdark brooding anti-hero to Malfurions noblebright hero. His thing has always been his struggle between his ambition and his duty; his difficulty making the right choice and his feelings of inferiority towards his brother despite being clearly as if not more powerful than him.

Even if what you say are right, I can't believe that Illidan could be chosen by beings that are affiliated with the Light.
02/04/2017 21:27Posted by Perpeto
Even if what you say are right, I can't believe that Illidan could be chosen by beings that are affiliated with the Light.

those beings are also inflicted whit the void, and quite much to be exact, they even turn in to void beings if they die, or well just get to angry it seems.

Why not? Thrall turned into a dragon aspect and a Forsaken leads the Shamanic Horde.
In response to the OP:
1. Sargeras corrupted the Eredar. Period. The old version was written back in a time when nobody could envision how big WoW is gonna be, let alone what story its gonna tell. So they changed this part of lore. It's called a "retcon" or "rework" and is nothing unheard-of in gaming franchises. *shrug*

2. Dunno haven't read the book. But considering he is the Dragon Aspect of Magic nowadays, he kinda likes magic. He really likes it, if you know what I'm sayin'

3. Only whose who were still strong-willed. Not the brainless ghouls. After Arthas' defeat even more intelligent undead creatures ( most notably the val'kyr ) broke free from his will. It's mostly about ghouls and skeletons that would simply run havoc without Big LK.

4. Haven't played through this particular quest, but I agree: The amount of pop-culture references is to damn high!

5. Signed

6. Just breath in... and out... in... and out that should sooth the homicidal thoughts.

7. Well they didn't leave a letter saying: "This farm was plagued with friendly support of the Royal Apothecary Society". Might have as well been the remnants of the Scourge. Also the Argent Crusade is neutral and does not engage in faction conflicts. One can hardly say who threw the proverbial first stone in the Plaguelands: The reds or the blues.

8. Malf has always been kinda neutral. He just goes elf-shît mad when something bad happends to his husbando Cenarius. ( Just look at how he went full ham in Val'sharah after Cenarius was corrupted ). When he learned it was the Legion behind the Orcs' corruption he focused on the Legion instead. The Horde and the Alliance worked together against the demons in the 3rd War. I'd rather be a lore-fail if they'd now refuse to work together and rather face obilvion.

9. - 11. Dunno haven't really played MoP. Especially not was a blue one.

12. The entire Time-travel-alternate-timeline-4th-dimension-warp-furkery that was WoD was pretty bad and should be remembered as sparely as possible if I dare say so. If you want to see something good about the people responsible for that, you could pretend, they only did to set the pieces for the future story line... I guess... maybe.

13. That's like your opinion. I see nothing wrong about that. Actually explains a lot. E.g. Why we are all such bloody Mary Sues that already beat back the Legion twice. But I guess that is what sitting on the most powerful titan in existence does to you.

14. IKR. Have never been a fan of "ancient prophecies" and "chosen ones". Only thing I'd like to add: As others already wrote: Illi has not been a villain. Just an anti-hero.

15. Would like to actually see Turalyon and Alleria before I decide if they are "officially ruined" now. All we know so far is that they have apparently been picked up by the Army of the Light after they vanquished from Outland.

On a side note: Would have not thought that a guy who rated Legions story 10/10 in the generals forum a week ago was so negative about so many key parts of Legiosn story line ^^

And to answer the question: Blizzards tendency to revive dead characters. I'm ok with it if you kinda had it coming ( e.g. demons can only be slain within the nether, so I'm totally fine with KJ and Illi coming back ), but to often characters are called dead and two expansions later Blizz is like: "Oh no, no no. They didn't die they were just grievously wounded and stuff you know." ... Muradin comes to mind here: Impaled by icy spike, gets only knocked unconscious, wanders frozen wastes for days mortally wounded, only to slay a gigantic worm-monster only minutes later single-handedly...
Biggest lore fail has to be Blizzard killing Vol'jin at the start of the Legion.
03/04/2017 23:18Posted by Nyrkkirauta
Biggest lore fail has to be Blizzard killing Vol'jin at the start of the Legion.

The thing that annoys me about that is Blizzard keep doing the classic "Oh, don't worry subscribers, we haven't seen the last of Vol'jin yet...*wink*" - which is exactly what they were saying about Turalyon six expansions ago. How many expansions before Vol'jin makes a re-appearance - knowing Blizzard, as a non-speaking force ghost in a cutscene or something just as naff? How many expansions before Wrathion becomes relevant again? How many? HOW?!

I'd love to believe it's all part of the plan, but experience tells me he's just been shelved to make way for a more recognisable WIII character.

The Light is a force of nature that doesn't care about good, evil and virtues, as long as you believe yourself to be just. Faith is all it requires and no good or evil deeds will alter the quality of your Light's benevolence.
04/04/2017 01:16Posted by Ellieth

The Light is a force of nature that doesn't care about good, evil and virtues, as long as you believe yourself to be just. Faith is all it requires and no good or evil deeds will alter the quality of your Light's benevolence.

It doesn't even require that you believe yourself to be just, according to Metzen and Afrasiabi.

"Without spoiling too much, we can tell you that wielding the Light is a matter of having willpower or faith in one's own ability to do it. "

http://wow.gamepedia.com/Ask_CDev
For me the biggest lore mistake is Garrosh using sha power and nuking Theramore.

When all his life he saw Orcs as weak for drinking demonblood to gain power and he killed one of his generals for a nuke.

It only makes sense if they reveal that it was a demon and Garrosh is still alive somewhere, or he lost his memory and was very sick. But till today i just see all the crap they did with Garrosh as forced plots to turn him into a villian without actually knowing the character its like some1 build him up got fired and somebody else took over turned him evil without looking into the character past of Garrosh.
Could write a whole chapter on fails and discontinuity just re Sylvanas.
04/04/2017 07:38Posted by Lswindrunner
Could write a whole chapter on fails and discontinuity just re Sylvanas.

Why downvote LSWindrunner? She just said there is a lot of discontinuity around Sylvanas. And that is definitely right:
Edge of Night claims: "Her undead flesh is nigh indestructible". In Cata she gets killed by a single bullet.
In Cata it's said the Valkyrie can only rise Vrykul and their descendants ( aka humans ). In SoO she offers Lor'Themar to raise his fallen soldiers and in Warcrimes she considers killing raising her own sister.
That is discontinuity.
I don't have 15 lore fails, but some parts of the lore, do have question bells ringing.
Magatha and the Shaman Questline in 7.2. I've already expressed my...confusion over this and affirming I'm a Magatha fan and think she is a very interesting character, but in this context...hmm. I'd prefer all classes involved with her story arc and something with Baine and the Bloodhoof Tauren. Perhaps even have Mayla Highmountain involved, somewhere along the line?

The Ending of Cataclysm wasn't exactly a highlight of mine either. The Dragons surrendering their powers because they'd done what was tasked and...that was that? Again, question bells were ringing.

Warlords of Draenor seemed pretty bad, as far as both game wise and story were concerned. I played a month or 2 before Legion released, and just didn't feel for any of the characters involved. The AU reality was also confusing. I'd rather they leave time travelling to 5 man's, as in Culling of Stratholme, Well of Eternity and End Time...not a whole expansion, dedicated to wibbly wobbly, timey wimey, confusion.

Mists of Pandaria had a good story arc to it with its Horde vs Alliance theme. Not many questions arose from MoP, only dislike for certain characters, Falanyr Silverthorn being one of them.

TBC had lore which was just a mess from start to finish, but I loved this expansion for everything else. Dungeons, PvP, World Content, Shadowmoon Valley.

I loved Wrath from start to finish. This was when I got into the lore, and where interest in the Naga came from. Borean Tundra and those Naga quests...it was this quest that got me into the lore for the Naga and then everything extended from that point.

Clearly inferior to his brother, being that has been stopped or disabled by Malfurion in mere seconds on many occasions.
Tell me when Illidan managed to create a storm that could encompass a planet and destroy Millions?
04/04/2017 19:47Posted by Tyrandebae

Clearly inferior to his brother, being that has been stopped or disabled by Malfurion in mere seconds on many occasions.
Tell me when Illidan managed to create a storm that could encompass a planet and destroy Millions?

Son nearly destroyed Azeroth by imploding Ner'Zhul now wash yo mouth filfthy night elf peasant.
Biggest lore fail for me is Grommash Hellscream turning the draenei which he slaughtered their families without any effect of corruption over him and yelling "Draenor is free!" then crowd cheering him. Nothing worse happened in WoW history and whoever thought of this idea must be sacked immediately.
07/04/2017 19:16Posted by Michaelous
Biggest lore fail for me is Grommash Hellscream turning the draenei which he slaughtered their families without any effect of corruption over him and yelling "Draenor is free!" then crowd cheering him. Nothing worse happened in WoW history and whoever thought of this idea must be sacked immediately.

The whole 6.1-6.2 patch phase was intended to serve as something of a redemption arc for Hellscream...seems it translated poorly.
07/04/2017 19:44Posted by Togbrahu
07/04/2017 19:16Posted by Michaelous

The whole 6.1-6.2 patch phase was intended to serve as something of a redemption arc for Hellscream...seems it translated poorly.

I think the problem wasn´t draenei cheering him, the problem was that he even attacked draenei in the first place.
From short story that was released before WoD, we learned that Grommash was indeed manipulated by Garrosh, who brought him to Throne of the Elements, where he was shown what happened in the main timeline, but when they got to Thrall and the events of Third War, Garrosh killed the shaman who was making this possible. Thus, Grommash was left believing he failed his people and caused all of the demonic corruption. Because of this, he knew about Gul´dan and managed to unite the orcs, to attack Azeroth, which in his mind was the world filled with servants of demons (at least that´s what I took out of the short story).

And now we ask ourselves: Why did he attack draenei? He had to know they had nothing common with demons, so why did he attack? I have absolutely no idea.
It seems like they had this cool idea of saving draenei civilization before it falls like in the main timeline, but didn´t realize that to achieve this, they would have to make Iron Horde seem like honestly the bad guys. Not like Illidan in TBC, who, in context of Legion, was the good guy with awful methods, but really bad guys. This only continued with Talador arc (which from strategic point of view doesn´t make sense, why did they attack Shadowmoon Valley when they didn´t completely control even Talador), where they kept attacking the draenei.

For the sake of story, it would be far better to have draenei being attacked by some other force, maybe arakkoa, crazed Shadowmoon clan or Gul´dan´s forces, while Iron Horde would lick its wounds and we would try to cause more harm to them before they regroup and attack Azeroth once again, while also going after Garrosh. The war between orcs and draenei could start after Iron Horde found out they were helping us, which could lead to Talador, where they attack Shattrath. This could culminate with the death of Garrosh in Nagrand and our assault on Highmaul and Blackrock Foundry.

So, let´s go to the beginning of 6.1. We would be at the same place as we were in 6.1 that happened, but instead of Iron Horde attacking and murdering dranei out of nowhere, they would have started their attack only after they found out draenei helped us. With Grommash still believing we were the bad guys, we would have great opportunity for his redemption arc, where we would have questline to show him the truth (maybe through some shaman, like Drek´thar, or maybe bringing him to Oshu´gun), making him realize what he has done.
Now, the difference between this Grommash and Grommash we got would be that all this Grommash did was because Garrosh lied to him. There was no attack on draenei and Yrel with other Exarchs would understand why he attacked them later (I mean, draenei are pretty logical and forgiving people, it is in their character to understand this and forgive him). With this, the war with Iron Horde would end, with casualties on both sides, but possibility to rebuild.

Then Khadgar would tell us we still have to find Gul´dan and 6.1 questline would appear. And there, Gul´dan would ask the orcs, if they want to be the defeated side, or the winning one. He would offer them the power and while Grommash, who knows what is going on, would not accept (just like he did in the real 6.1), others would.

And as we arrive into 6.2, we are no longer continuing the war with Iron Horde, which was transformed into servants of the Legion, but fighting the Legion, which turned Iron Horde, friendly faction, into enemies. And Grommash would not be this orc who caused slaughter of many draenei, but defiant leader imprisoned by the Legion.
Because of this, Grommash shouting "Draenor is free" at the end of Hellfire Citadel, with Frostwolves and draenei cheering, would make sense. Because in the end, he would not be the warlord who attacked them without provocation, but misguided hero who helped defeat the Legion.
My fave is how Thrall could show up in frostfire ridge and meet Durotan, clad in Orgrim's armour and weilding the doomhammer with a conspicuous Frostwolf emblem carved into it and nobody asks a single question.

Instead we get assorted nudges and winks as to how the two orcs have such a "familiar" dynamic together with all the subtlety of sledge to the face.