Upcoming Change to Legionfall War Supplies

General
One of the core mechanics of Broken Shore gameplay is that of acquiring Legionfall War Supplies to put towards constructing buildings, which in turn unlock various content and bonuses. Recently, we’ve begun to notice that some players have begun stockpiling their Legionfall War Supplies in order to use them at a later time. While this is fine to some degree, if it were to become a more widespread behavior, it could have severely negative effects on the rate at which buildings are constructed, thereby preventing those bonuses and content pieces from being made available.

Therefore, on Thursday, April 6 at roughly 8 PM CEST, we’ll be applying a hotfix that will reduce the maximum amount of Legionfall War Supplies a player can stockpile to 1000. This will ensure that building construction can proceed at a regular pace, while still allowing you to keep hold of several turn-ins worth of War Supplies if you like.

Note that, when this hotfix is applied, any Legionfall War Supplies you have over the cap of 1000 will be lost. If you’re currently carrying more than that, please make sure to turn those extra War Supplies in before Thursday.
While this seems like a good change given the way the building system works, it is yet another thing that should have been caught during the PTR and addressed before the patch went live. Many players were mentioning right from the start how it would be better to hoard supplies and wait for an optimal time to turn them in, and I can guarantee that at least a few people who don't watch these forums are going to be incredibly bummed out on Thursday when they log in to find a bunch of their supplies missing.

It's very disappointing that 7.2 has seen so many hotfixes to adjust serious gameplay and balancing issues that should have been set in stone before the patch launched. I think that most of the changes are good ones that wouldn't have raised any eyebrows had they been finalised prior to release, but because several of them have resulted in "nerfs" to certain playstyles, they feel incredibly bad for players who initially thought things were going to work one way, only to be told something different a few days later.

It's understandable for a few esoteric bugs and balancing issues to slip through the net, but many of these changes (and unresolved issues) regarding 7.2 content feel like ongoing PTR iteration. It's not a level of quality that behoves a Blizzard product, and I can understand why many people have been upset with the release of this patch.
05/04/2017 03:15Posted by Lirena
While this seems like a good change given the way the building system works, it is yet another thing that should have been caught during the PTR and addressed before the patch went live. Many players were mentioning right from the start how it would be better to hoard supplies and wait for an optimal time to turn them in, and I can guarantee that at least a few people who don't watch these forums are going to be incredibly bummed out on Thursday when they log in to find a bunch of their supplies missing.

It's very disappointing that 7.2 has seen so many hotfixes to adjust serious gameplay and balancing issues that should have been set in stone before the patch launched. I think that most of the changes are good ones that wouldn't have raised any eyebrows had they been finalised prior to release, but because several of them have resulted in "nerfs" to certain playstyles, they feel incredibly bad for players who initially thought things were going to work one way, only to be told something different a few days later.

It's understandable for a few esoteric bugs and balancing issues to slip through the net, but many of these changes (and unresolved issues) regarding 7.2 content feel like ongoing PTR iteration. It's not a level of quality that behoves a Blizzard product, and I can understand why many people have been upset with the release of this patch.

i don't really think that stuff like this can be picked up on ptr, you are talking about a very small part of the population that actually goes on the PTR which many of simply stand in stormwind testing their fav spec, the players that would have tested the broken shore content wouldnt have spent that much time racking up thousands of Legionfall War Supplies.

that being said the only reason people had been storing them was for the extra rep from the darkmoon faire for the bonus rep, i mean as far as i know there is nothing else to spend Legionfall War Supplies on is there?
Just wondering if there is a way for the devs to track how many get deleted? If so could they not add them to the buildings equally so the rest of the community doesn't get shafted by losing a load of supplies that could have been used towards construction?

Honestly I'm glad for this change, I did wonder why there wasn't a cap in the first place. Whilst a lot of people see this as Blizz saying "play the game our way" I personally see it as them saying "this is how it was balanced and it'd be unfair to not address this issue". That said, the only reason people are hoarding is because rep gathering is so terrible.
05/04/2017 03:15Posted by Lirena
While this seems like a good change given the way the building system works, it is yet another thing that should have been caught during the PTR

A lot of things, just like this one, hardly gets noticed since a lot of people can't bother actually testing new stuff in PTR and giving feedback for it, unless if it's a well known feature (example given: Broken Shore, Legion Assaults, new raid).
05/04/2017 03:29Posted by Squibs

i don't really think that stuff like this can be picked up on ptr, you are talking about a very small part of the population that actually goes on the PTR which many of simply stand in stormwind testing their fav spec, the players that would have tested the broken shore content wouldnt have spent that much time racking up thousands of Legionfall War Supplies.

that being said the only reason people had been storing them was for the extra rep from the darkmoon faire for the bonus rep, i mean as far as i know there is nothing else to spend Legionfall War Supplies on is there?

While some things do get overlooked because not enough players are testing them, an important part of a developer's job is to understand what loopholes exist in their systems and how players are going to interact with them. If you're going to cap a currency in the first place, then you should be asking yourself the question of why you're doing so, and what an ideal cap for said resource should be.

Generally speaking you cap resources in MMOs to encourage players to actually spend them, rather than hoarding them up and essentially getting no gameplay out of the system until a later date. Bonus roll tokens being capped at 6 and AP items not scaling with AK retroactively are good examples of this being caught and addressed early on before players ran into problems with the systems.

With war supplies, what was the reasoning behind capping them at 10k? If the devs couldn't envision any problems arising, why put a cap in place at all? Someone had to look at that cap, consider why they were putting it in place, and think about what kind of gameplay might result from it. Given that there is a very tangible, region-wide benefit to spending resources, one would think that encouraging players to spend them would be incentivised as much as possible. I'm not going to say that the problem should've been blindingly obvious, because hindsight is 20/20 after all, but players were talking about doing this right from patch day, and it's an issue that's arisen (and been corrected) multiple times before in WoW.

It sounds like I'm being horribly nitpicky, so I should stress that the issue isn't with the devs overlooking this one relatively minor detail -- it's that there have been a lot of these things cropping up in 7.2. The sort of things that, with a little more careful thought, consideration of feedback, and PTR iteration, could've been smoothed out before the patch launched.

A dozen small potholes make for a bumpy ride, and a lot of these ones seem unnecessary.
05/04/2017 03:37Posted by Cryomage
I did wonder why there wasn't a cap in the first place.
There was. 10k instead of 1k, so the hotfix diminishes your hoard by 90%.

But really? After 1 day supposedly the amount of resources required to build a building got "hotfixed" and the post hotfix amount left us with 1 building taking around 5-6 days to build only to be active for 3 days, and that's only 1 out of 3!

You're gonna blame it all on the players and the packratting community?

When you officially previewed the building feature you were like "oh don't worry they're not permanent, they will be rebuilt quickly, and they can be simultaneously up". I expected more like 3 days to build a building assuming all of them progress similarly (and not like in reality 80% of donations went for mage tower still took nearly a week to appear).

Did the subs drop so hard? Are people not enjoying grinding your dailies for tiny rep amounts? You can't blame it all on the hoarders the building progression rate is crawling awfully slowly.

Tomorrow is the last day Mage Tower is on EU, other 2 building are barely 30%. After a week! And 3 days of not being able to donate for Mage Tower. When it's demolished I bet the community will go back to pumping all into Mage Tower because "AP is life". So I will maybe see the world bosses I really want after a month or two! By then they'll be irrelevant as Tomb of Sargeras will be open...

I really expected the intended growth rate would be balanced around having each building up roughly once per week (3 days to build 3 days to stay 1 day cd). That would be nice and balanced and give us stuff to do instead of just farming Sentinax?

Broken shore feels empty without these extras from the buildings going on and if we're getting 30% uptime on 1/3 of the buildings that's like only having 10% content out on average. Stop blaming players and trying to punish them, fix the root of the problem which is:

- too few things to do on broken shore for too little pay off
- too slow building progress
- too small rep gains

People hoard when they feel there's a shortage, and spend when there's abundance. Since both rep gains and legionfall supply gains are very small, it's creating scarcity mentality. Same with the buildings progressing so slow people are motivated to not donate into secondary buildings but rather hoard to rebuild their favourite one (that seems to be Mage Tower?)
The building should stay active for a whole week once constucted.

Different players have different availability during the week and with the current design it could be that a player would like/be able to play only during a part of the week, only to discover that the building they wanted is inactive and was active only during inconvenient days.

This means some players might enjoy a building much less since it could routinely get active in a part of the week they don't play much.
How about instead of changing silly things like this, which has such a small impact it wouldn't matter, that instead you focus on things like Faction Tagging under the Sentinax?
Why would I stop stockpiling war supplies for a mage tower? Once I'm capped on supplies I just lost the incentive to join the Broken Shore activities (which in my opinion are very limited already)...
This is a very questionable attempt to fix this.
05/04/2017 04:22Posted by Felisenda
Tomorrow is the last day Mage Tower is on EU, other 2 building are barely 30%. After a week! And 3 days of not being able to donate for Mage Tower. When it's demolished I bet the community will go back to pumping all into Mage Tower because "AP is life".
And THIS is the REAL reason why people horde the ressources.
AP is life and the other buildings will never go up as long as ap > everything else,
sadly....
Blizzard with this moves (stupidly) hopes people will now pump ressources into the other buildings (which they ofc wont, ever)
I still won't contribute to other buildings than the mage tower.
Stockpiling war supplies was the only reason I did it, so I can finally stop doing the Broken Shore WQs after this change.
05/04/2017 08:36Posted by Mukuro
The building should stay active for a whole week once constucted.

Different players have different availability during the week and with the current design it could be that a player would like/be able to play only during a part of the week, only to discover that the building they wanted is inactive and was active only during inconvenient days.

This means some players might enjoy a building much less since it could routinely get active in a part of the week they don't play much.

THIS.

I knew a lot of people who only play on weekend or others who can't play on weekends.
You invest into one building with 70%. You have to leave city for 3-5 days. came back. Building is at 5% and just went down.
This is not only totaly frustration, it is a content blocker for many!
05/04/2017 09:52Posted by Drudatz
And THIS is the REAL reason why people horde the ressources.

Honestly I hoarded them to be able to turn them when I have higher AK. Didn't care about any of the buildings. I like the AP buff of course.
This sounds like a good idea, but what happens if all 3 towers r up at the same time?
Currently we have 2 towers at 50% on EU side, so it not completely out of the question, that when in 2 days we can start building the mage tower again, all 3 towers will be very close to finish together.

1000 resources is not alot and u can quickly cap that if u r farming the boss mobs on the broken shore and doing the now active invasions
You designed your game around AP and our Artifact weapons .
We don't get new weapons to look at or to gain more power which has been a core element since forever.

If we want new looks, we have to do boring gated questlines/raids/ or content.
We can't just work at it because everything have been gated, or locked behind gated content. (AK for hidden , BoP quest etc)
Pvp'ers forced to pve and the other way around.

How can you constantly be surprised that if you setup Skins/AP vs anything else , we will always choose Skins and AP .
Why would i use any Legionfall War Supplies to unlock something i cant do yet because i dont have the "mastery" ""ILVL"" to do it.
whats PTR for?
05/04/2017 11:09Posted by Fauffi
I still won't contribute to other buildings than the mage tower.

damn thats ignorant