Nightborne's thoughts on Elune?

Story
I remember during the Insurrection questline Elisande called night elves ''savage'' which I presume to mean is referring to their druidism which is semi-religious. What about Elune, what do they think about her? Do they (still?) believe in her? By extension, what was night elf religion like before/during the well of eternity?

Also, is there a difference between highborne and nightborne?
01/05/2017 14:18Posted by Hypotenous
What about Elune, what do they think about her? Do they (still?) believe in her?

Their are a few quests around the zone that indicate that the Shal'dorei still know about Elune, however as far as worship goes: I think that died when the shield went up. Plus, the Shal'dorei are still "Highborne" who put magic, quite literally, above religion, unlike the Blood Elves, who still put their faith in the Light, yet are still powerful with magic. Perhaps, in time, some of the Nightborne Priests might start to worship her again, but at the moment, these Elves are currently just trying to get over an internal conflict with themselves (Rebels vs Loyalists) so putting their faith into a time past, will not be high priority.

Well, the term "Highborne" has since broken off into many sub-races, if you will. Let's start with the chronological order.

Shen'dralar Highborne from Dire Maul (Eldre'Thalas): These Highborne are the last few remaining Highborne left in Azeroth, who are still alive. They are few in number, but they do know of the days of the Kaldorei Empire, under Queen Azshara. These Highborne were revered by Azshara herself as most of her important demands were upheld and secreted away from the common none-Highborne populace. Why she revered them, is yet still a mystery, but like the Nightborne, in some ways, they are still reliant on magic, however, unlike the Nightborne, the Shen'dralar Highborne still put their faith in the Moon Goddess.

It is unknown if the Highborne of Azsuna still put their faith in Elune, as none have stated they do or do not. I doubt time will tell on this one, but we can keep our eyes peeled :)

Satyr: Some of the first Highborne Night Elves to be transformed from Elf to Goat-like creature. There are next-to-no common features between these transformed Highborne and the Nightborne, because the Satyr will literally side with anyone, as long as it causes a mess for the Night Elves of Darnassus.

Naga: Nightborne and Naga are still a big mystery as the Nightborne carried some of the Highborne's greatest Magisters and the Naga were the Highborne loyal to Azshara, even after Zin'Azshari sunk. The Nightborne still know of Azshara, as per Thalyssra reffering to her from time to time, but only time will tell what future lore lies for these two sub-races of the Highborne name.

High/(but mainly) Blood Elves: Blood Elves (being Highborne descendants) and Nightborne have a lot in common, but this is mainly due to both having a source of power, their leader going mad and that both races are dependent on the Arcane. Both races went through struggles with their hierarchy and now, both races have atoned from their hierarchy's lack of insight. (Kael'thas and Elisande.) The biggest difference between Blood Elves and Nightborne now, is that one sector of Elves puts a balance between faith (The Light) and their birthrights, whilst the other race of Elves only has the power of their birthright, with no religion or faith. Also, the Nightborne saw the ancient Elven Empire under Azshara's ruling. The Blood Elves did not.

I hope this small break down sheds some insight into the Highborne and the Nightborne for you :)
It is worth noting that not all Nightborne are/were Highborne. Suramar was the home city of many non-Highborne Night Elves, most famously the the Stormrage brothers, Tyrande and the Shadowsong siblings.

Over the long self-imposed imprisonment of Suramar however, the Arcane culture of the Highborne became so prevalent that all Night Elves of Suramar, regardless of their original birth position, fell into it.
01/05/2017 17:57Posted by Tanariá
What about Elune, what do they think about her? Do they (still?) believe in her?

Their are a few quests around the zone that indicate that the Shal'dorei still know about Elune, however as far as worship goes: I think that died when the shield went up. Plus, the Shal'dorei are still "Highborne" who put magic, quite literally, above religion, unlike the Blood Elves, who still put their faith in the Light, yet are still powerful with magic. Perhaps, in time, some of the Nightborne Priests might start to worship her again, but at the moment, these Elves are currently just trying to get over an internal conflict with themselves (Rebels vs Loyalists) so putting their faith into a time past, will not be high priority.

Well, the term "Highborne" has since broken off into many sub-races, if you will. Let's start with the chronological order.

Shen'dralar Highborne from Dire Maul (Eldre'Thalas): These Highborne are the last few remaining Highborne left in Azeroth, who are still alive. They are few in number, but they do know of the days of the Kaldorei Empire, under Queen Azshara. These Highborne were revered by Azshara herself as most of her important demands were upheld and secreted away from the common none-Highborne populace. Why she revered them, is yet still a mystery, but like the Nightborne, in some ways, they are still reliant on magic, however, unlike the Nightborne, the Shen'dralar Highborne still put their faith in the Moon Goddess.

It is unknown if the Highborne of Azsuna still put their faith in Elune, as none have stated they do or do not. I doubt time will tell on this one, but we can keep our eyes peeled :)

Satyr: Some of the first Highborne Night Elves to be transformed from Elf to Goat-like creature. There are next-to-no common features between these transformed Highborne and the Nightborne, because the Satyr will literally side with anyone, as long as it causes a mess for the Night Elves of Darnassus.

Naga: Nightborne and Naga are still a big mystery as the Nightborne carried some of the Highborne's greatest Magisters and the Naga were the Highborne loyal to Azshara, even after Zin'Azshari sunk. The Nightborne still know of Azshara, as per Thalyssra reffering to her from time to time, but only time will tell what future lore lies for these two sub-races of the Highborne name.

High/(but mainly) Blood Elves: Blood Elves (being Highborne descendants) and Nightborne have a lot in common, but this is mainly due to both having a source of power, their leader going mad and that both races are dependent on the Arcane. Both races went through struggles with their hierarchy and now, both races have atoned from their hierarchy's lack of insight. (Kael'thas and Elisande.) The biggest difference between Blood Elves and Nightborne now, is that one sector of Elves puts a balance between faith (The Light) and their birthrights, whilst the other race of Elves only has the power of their birthright, with no religion or faith. Also, the Nightborne saw the ancient Elven Empire under Azshara's ruling. The Blood Elves did not.

I hope this small break down sheds some insight into the Highborne and the Nightborne for you :)

so, I was expecting some very one sided arguments for why '' of course Nightborn still worship elune''
But instead I found this well written post about the loyalties and religion of the different elf populations.

It is nice to see some more open minded explanations though, It would be nice if you could link some sources to your explanation.
Not that what you are saying is wrong to my knowledge, but just you know to be safe.
02/05/2017 08:52Posted by Durlan
so, I was expecting some very one sided arguments for why '' of course Nightborn still worship elune''
But instead I found this well written post about the loyalties and religion of the different elf populations.

Thank you :-)

Barring the High Elves, I love the Highborne and it's bloodline races (Nightborne, Naga, Blood Elves, Satyr) and of course the Azsuna and Eldre'Thalas Highborne, so I do try and learn as much as I can about each of these races and have a better understanding on what has happened to them over the Warcraft Years.

02/05/2017 08:52Posted by Durlan
It is nice to see some more open minded explanations though, It would be nice if you could link some sources to your explanation.
Not that what you are saying is wrong to my knowledge, but just you know to be safe.

Well, one clear sign for me about the Nightborne's faith in Elune, that seems to suggest that it hasn't been apparent for 10 millennia would be 1) The shield itself, as the Temple of Elune in Suramar wasn't raised from the ocean until Aegwynn arrived and 2) With what Thalyssra says in her cutscene "Without sunlight, without moonlight.." This seems to give a possible indication that without the moonlight's blessing, the faith in the mother moon was all but gone. Perhaps, if they rid the Temple of Falanaar from the Fal'dorei, some of the Shal'dorei Priests might reignite their faith in the Mother Moon once more. Not saying that this was her meaning, but it's possible. Unfortunatley, there isn't proof to say that the Nightborne don't worship Elune, but due to what we see in-game, it seems it will take time for that faith to be insigated back into their society. Atleast until the Legion is fully abolished from Azeroth and their "Felborne" brethren are all but history.

I'm also, almost certain their was a quest or two that referenced either the Temple or a Village that stated that the Priestesses of Elune once dwelled there and I'm sure it was either the Valkwalker or Oculeth. Might have just been a World Quest
well the night elfs where savage, considering the expanded their empire on the cost of others life, mainly the trolls, for no real apparent reason exept, that they where trolls at that time.
so you could say the night elfs where real brutal, under Azharas rule and still once Tyrande took over they where quite nasty for a long time.
02/05/2017 18:50Posted by Tanariá
I'm also, almost certain their was a quest or two that referenced either the Temple or a Village that stated that the Priestesses of Elune once dwelled there and I'm sure it was either the Valkwalker or Oculeth. Might have just been a World Quest

Yes sir, its when you do the last part of the Nightfallen not Forgotten achievement, and you just got the arcandor seed from i believe Othissa. When you activate the portal at the end of the questline you get a popup from Oculeth saying: Ahh the temples of Falanaar. Those great halls were once glowing with prayers to Elune!" or smth close to that ;)
I personally believe thats the reason Valewalker Farodin is there when you first try to take the seed but the Fal'dorei steal it from you. I dont think he is there to merely guard the arcandor seedling, but to keep a watchful eye over the whole old temple of the Priestesses of Elune, to offer aid and see to them once they might get reinstated to their original purpose. He is a night elf after all :)
08/05/2017 14:43Posted by Beanybruh
Yes sir, its when you do the last part of the Nightfallen not Forgotten achievement, and you just got the arcandor seed from i believe Othissa. When you activate the portal at the end of the questline you get a popup from Oculeth saying: Ahh the temples of Falanaar. Those great halls were once glowing with prayers to Elune!" or smth close to that ;)

I thought it was. I couldn't remember the quest.

Thanks for the info :)
08/05/2017 07:29Posted by Weffi
well the night elfs where savage, considering the expanded their empire on the cost of others life, mainly the trolls, for no real apparent reason exept, that they where trolls at that time.
so you could say the night elfs where real brutal, under Azharas rule and still once Tyrande took over they where quite nasty for a long time.
Nothing of the sort. The night elves aren't savage, Elisande is having a dig at them for obvious reasons.

Also bear in mind, for thepalaces of Suramar where those very same night elves use to live - from that luxury pampered stand point - druidic living must seem rather savage. Off course any close look at them will easily show they are even more cultured than before, just left the comforts behind.. but why would she admit that to a people she is cross with and who she feels should understand what's going on.

Remember Tyrande herself and most of the alliance night elves come from Suramar.

Most night elves still found ways to live in harmony with the land and excel at magic during the empire days. Only Azshara and some of her arrogant highborne showed no regard for anything but power and arcane knowledge - a very bad siign for a leader. You have to note that it was the highborne at the palace with the queen that are responsible for nearly all of the trouble. The palace highborne, not the ones in Eldre'thalas, or Suramar (Azsuna, or the city) etc were involved. Azshara was only going to spare the palace in Sargeras' great purge.

02/05/2017 18:50Posted by Tanariá
Well, one clear sign for me about the Nightborne's faith in Elune, that seems to suggest that it hasn't been apparent for 10 millennia would be 1) The shield itself, as the Temple of Elune in Suramar wasn't raised from the ocean until Aegwynn arrived and 2) With what Thalyssra says in her cutscene "Without sunlight, without moonlight.." This seems to give a possible indication that without the moonlight's blessing, the faith in the mother moon was all but gone.

It's a logical conclusion.. the priesthood had been given its marching orders by high priestess Tyrande. remember she became high priestess during the war of the ancients, when her predecessor was killed by the demons invading Suramar. The order departs Suramar to join with Ravencrests army, they have always had that dual role of spiritual leaders and protectors.

With no priesthood, no moonlight, no starlight - they came to rely on the nightwell entirely - which is why all praise goes to the nightwell when you speak to them. however now the nightwell also curses them big time, so you bet they're glad to be free of it.

Occuleth when you go with him to Falanaar Temple remembers fondly the prayers of Elune that use to ascend to the temple. I don't know if the nightborne would become worshipers again, but all indication is that they'd love the old days to return, the temples to be up and running and the prayers ascending to Elune. They seem very very much in the old ways, and I can imagine them badly wanting the good parts of the old days that were lost under the shield to return.

Hmm. you really should do some reading on this

Nightborne: https://wow.gamepedia.com/Nightborne
Elves ; https://wow.gamepedia.com/Elf
Night Elf: https://wow.gamepedia.com/Night_elf

They've got far more accurate information than we have, and it's a nice summary of pretty much what you would learn in the books, previous games, WoW and its expansions, comics etc - and you will see differences between highborne and nightborne.

Essentially nightborne are a very special kind of highborne the suramar city highborne culture (not all were highborne but b/c of Elisande, were highborne led) - they are one that's literally Kaldorei empire culture.. The shen'dralar highborne are similar, but they are a 100% highborne culture, but that Empire look and state isn't visible there because they are in ruin unlike Suramar. The shen'dralar have had quite a lot happened to them and had many more new experiences whereas the nightborne are exactly like the night elves in Empire days highborne rule were before the sundering - the city has been in a bubble, and these guys LOVE themselves. They love their heritage, LOVE their traditions, love all the things about themselves they feel is so amazing, they've literally kept it all - all their silly manners and proper form and function, hierarchy, station - silly to many of us especially after an apocalypse - but hey the nightborne did not experience the sundering like the other elves did. the bubble totally shielded them

Their lights never went out, no ban on magic, no fear of legion return, no having to deal with the aftermath of anything. Life just went back to how it had been and they continued, studying the arcane living life - except now it was within a far more confined space.

Would they get bored? no ! not with the fascination for magic the night elves from that era all had. Yes the highborne were the most dedicated, but magic enthralled all the night elves. They all studied it and from early childhood (like you see in Suramar), mostly the priests and later the highborne focused on the well according to the lore. Via the arcane they could expand their minds their knowledge, - and legion tells us they continued advancing in magic - so we know 10k years ago, the night elf empire was more advanced magically than anything to day.

Don't be surprised, when you have total control and peace - you tend to be able to focus on creative things and have billions of people to contribute in all manner of fascinating manner (think of our modern world the amount of stuff we come up with in nearly every area of life because we have so many people all over, all working on different things - whether its in Israel, Japan, South Africa, Germany, Canada, Iran, Mexico or Brazil - all sorts of advancements for all sorts of things - now imagine there is war and you're all super intelligent - now you get it).

Nearly all of that is lost in the sundering to the night elves and the high elves but not to the nightborne. THe night elves have to put magic aside because they think using it will repeat the past bringing back the legion - this is why they kill anyone who comes within ashenvale's border - its no go for any race - no one must discover magic to repeat the error, cannot risk this far too tempting power falling into unworthy hands because of what mis-use can lead to [i.e. the Legion coming to end the world - Magic isn't bad because it's actually bad, it's bad because using it can bring the legion that brings the end of the world - to the night elf anyway]. THe new well of eternity's power signature is hidden by Nordrassil. That was the purpose of nordrassil at first (the magical energy would heal the world - again proof they know arcane magical energy isn't bad - it's just what people can do with it i.e. the Legion /the sundering that is what gets them so tight about it. Nordrassil hides the well so demons won't find Azeroth by the power signature in the twisting nether - it masks it, and new races wouldn't discover magic (cos that's how the elves discovered magic and the night elves thought using the well was the only way to learn magic - so did the dragons - no blues to correct their knowledge - blues were in hiding). Dragons didn't learn magic like the elves did, to dragons much of their magic is natural, instinctually like you see in the beasts in-game that have some magical abilities, it's nature - Valtrois comments on Stellagorsa's affinity for leylines - stella tries to explain its natural - Valtrois is both fascinated and contemptuous - her skill comes through learning and intelligence something she acquires cos she's brilliant, not just instinct - but she is impressed by the detail and level of mastery /accuracy that comes naturally to the dragon.

Dragons don't have palaces and libraries full of books. You have to think of it differently. Dragons have brains unlike mortals storkng lots of knowledge over longs periods of time. They don't need books. The elven mind is extraodirnary. The elves were the first to STUDY magic the lore says - which means they organised their thoughts, wrote stuff down to be able to remember, worked on that, improved their mental skills etc - none of which a dragon needs cos that's all natural. Because its so natural to a dragon, you can see how in something they can be very good, but in other things the way the elves organize knowledge, work together, discuss etc and being small beings have all manner of obstacles and challenges dragons would never face, they would be coming up with lots of intersting things, many of which the dragons wouldn't care about , but hey put the little pieces together as one thing leads to another, and suddenly the elves are doing things that are surprising, and stunning the dragons in wonder. Which is why dragons start joining the elves in nar'thalas pondering mysteries. These little creatures have a totally different approach to things. And while it's highly unlikely their raw power is equal to a dragons, over time the elves would have improved and increased their capacity and command of magic in ways that would outstrip some dragons, and indeed well some went much further.

Anyway, back on topic. So, the high elves came 3-4,000 years later, by that time, nearly all the vast knowledge is lost, only what you have in your head. Darth'remar and his bunch start building a new kingdom hoping to recapture the glory, but .. imagine trying to remember stuff from 3,000 years ago having no books, no repositories of knowledge (remember the night elves did not rebuild, they just left everything that was broken to be lost, and banned magic - those who would become high elves were there with them for 3k years like this before it got too much in the events that led to their exile). So imagine after 3k years of no magic, no old books or stuff, and after a very traumatic journey that nearly kills you all. They start almost from scratch, having lost a lot of knowledge, they will start getting new knowledge again.

The shen'dralar highborne most similar to the nightborne at least in the early stages are at first intact. Like suramar, but they have no well, they instead used a demon and over the millennia that demon started drawing power rather than providing it, till their population could not be sustained with that level of lifestyle, and their prince, already affected by the demons energy, starts killing his citizens to that he and the others can maintain the same level of living. They do this till the place turns to ruin, consumed with their desire for magic. They are powerless to stop Ogres, Satyrs and others who find their way to this lost city after the 3rd war - and they don't even care - as long as the power keeps coming - they're in ruins.

The nightborne however, had full power, no influences from outside, knowledge intact, libraries, repositories, many skilled minds, huge numbers (although those numbers will have a cap) - magic continues, the lost knowledge of the empire is all there and they've continued in it. Kaldorei is their past when they were under starlight, but now under a false sky or pure night - they adopt the name shal'dorei - they haven't stopped being kaldorei, they've just advanced to another stage of it - many of them are still the same people from before the sundering. This is not like high elves/blood elves who become something different. While shal'dorei is new in a sense, it isn't, it's a new stage of the old Kaldorei - and it develops a distinct look too. It's the continuation or evolution along those kaldorei empire lines, not away from it. They become even more night elf than the kaldorei - they are darker, more night based, and more arcane. It's like night elf on steroids. - This is what nightborne is. Highborne*2

Think very carefully, there may be newborns since, but limited space would mean reproduction was tightly controlled. Replacing only those that got exiled, and having the perfect number for the city to be full. Magic provided all their needs, including food and clothes - that's what arcwine is. You aren't limiting growth because of resources. AFter they discovered how to use the nightwell to solve the food shortage i.e. arcwine, space is the only limiting factor. But night elves don't breed that much - not when magic (arcane or nature) and their knowledge is their hard on. They won't have as much time for monkey business.

So you see.. this is a select version of highborne culture, its highborne culture from the kaldorei empire, no other group has maintained this culture. The shen'dralar fell to ruin, the other kaldorei went all green. These ones, the nightborne in Suramar? - this is the kaldorei empire.. and they for 10k years thought were the only ones left. It would be typical to honour the life before the shield they refer to as Kaldorei, life after the shield as Shal'dorei - it is EXACTLY the same culture, the difference is under well of eternity and under nightwell. Culturally its the same as Kaldorei empire, physically its different.

You also would have to note that this culture of the night elves in Suramar that they come to refer to as nightborne is the arcane culture of the empire under the condition of the nightwell and living in a bubble. It is not the full breadth of Kaldorei culture as its got no priesthood and very little nature and space, it's the arcane lifestyle aspect, the highborne one - which is why it's called nightborne instead of night elf as all they had was the arcane.

hope this helps you further get into the mindset of what's going on between these two groups.

Would be nice if creative dev could pop in here you know.
I congratulate you if you actually read every word of the post above.
13/05/2017 22:59Posted by Kelian
I congratulate you if you actually read every word of the post above.

Excellent post, mate. Grats to yourself. I like your line of reasoning. Shows much reading. Nice :)
13/05/2017 22:30Posted by Kelian
Anyway, back on topic. So, the high elves came 3-4,000 years later, by that time, nearly all the vast knowledge is lost, only what you have in your head. Darth'remar and his bunch start building a new kingdom hoping to recapture the glory, but .. imagine trying to remember stuff from 3,000 years ago having no books, no repositories of knowledge (remember the night elves did not rebuild, they just left everything that was broken to be lost, and banned magic - those who would become high elves were there with them for 3k years like this before it got too much in the events that led to their exile). So imagine after 3k years of no magic, no old books or stuff, and after a very traumatic journey that nearly kills you all. They start almost from scratch, having lost a lot of knowledge, they will start getting new knowledge again.

I think what the Elves of Quel'Thalas did was truly inspirational. Being able to build their nation, fighting the Amani and rewriting books and knowledge on the use of magics. With so much going on, the High Elves managed to establish Quel'Thalas, which was one of the greatest nations of the Eastern Kingdoms, bar none.

But let's not forget, they still carried knowledge and still knew how to wield the Arcane, as per their storm over Ashenvale. Speculation hats: They might have taken a few hidden books, along with the vial from the original Well of Eternity, however, we do not know this as it is not written down for us, so that is just mere speculation.

13/05/2017 22:30Posted by Kelian
So you see.. this is a select version of highborne culture, its highborne culture from the kaldorei empire, no other group has maintained this culture. The shen'dralar fell to ruin, the other kaldorei went all green. These ones, the nightborne in Suramar? - this is the kaldorei empire.. and they for 10k years thought were the only ones left. It would be typical to honour the life before the shield they refer to as Kaldorei, life after the shield as Shal'dorei - it is EXACTLY the same culture, the difference is under well of eternity and under nightwell. Culturally its the same as Kaldorei empire, physically its different.

This is what I have been saying all this time. This is the ancient Highborne culture. The old Highborne's way of life. I do believe, when Blizzard thought of the Nightborne, it was going along the lines of

"How would the Highborne of Azshara's Empire, see Azeroth today?"
I think what the Elves of Quel'Thalas did was truly inspirational. Being able to build their nation, fighting the Amani and rewriting books and knowledge on the use of magics. With so much going on, the High Elves managed to establish Quel'Thalas, which was one of the greatest nations of the Eastern Kingdoms, bar none.

But let's not forget, they still carried knowledge and still knew how to wield the Arcane, as per their storm over Ashenvale. Speculation hats: They might have taken a few hidden books, along with the vial from the original Well of Eternity, however, we do not know this as it is not written down for us, so that is just mere speculation.

oh yes, it was truly a remarkable story, the high elves had been literally weakened from the exile and being cut off from the well, not as super physically or as whole and healthy losing some of the enhancements becoming a little less sharp (mentally), less tall, less strong, less long lived - think dwarves from earthern state or humans from vrykul, but not as drastic. Despite all that... they pick themselves up together like they did, and build something like they have done? They do far more with themselves than any of the night elven groups did (this is not taking from how remarkable carrying out a 10k year long vigil in such conditions is and abstaining from magic you're linked with and brimming with is - or to a lesser extent perfectly preserving a refuge like they do Suramar for 10k years without falling to internal conflict, ruin, war or just explode the place in reckless magic) those are all great feats, but the high elves are truly a success story cos they really advance and build from nothing.

incredible ! Quel'thalas isn't the Kaldorei empire, no, that, as we see glimpse of in Suramar, has never been seen since (nothing like that era) - but look what they achieve with far less numbers, and far less power - Sunwell is no Well of Eternity nor is it a Nightwell. And they do this with an un-going conflict and manage to make sure their magic never once summoned the demons too. They did great. For all the incredible spiritual and moral rectitude of the night elves or the phenomenal magic expertise of the nightborne and highborne that no other group can match, the high and blood elves stand just as tall and remarkable in their own way.

They were right about magic, well the demon part, and remember their addiction was not like the highborne/nightborne addiction - they weren't reckless or indulgent like we see the nightborne (which reflects how the night elves, especially the highborne were in empire days to insane levels even other highborne were worried about.) They were managing quite well without overuse, they only noticed a problem when the sunwell was cut off. And i'm not even convinced that was all that bad a thing - given how good the arcane is - it's only a problem when it's not there. It's good not to be dependent, but the arcane is not like drugs - it actually improves your body, intelligence, life expectancy and using it can do amazing things too - it's also highly addictive which can cause you to lose your moral compass and do stupid things, and with so much power at your fingertips, it means mistakes can be devastating.

Kudos to the elves though they have wielded magic flawlessly, however not all fared so well with the moral choices - which is the role I suspect the priesthoods served. Both the order of Elune in the empire days and the Priests/paladins of the High elves are instrumental in this environment to keep your head down to earth, and your hope in something even greater than your magic so you never fall to despair even when seeing great extra dimensional or threats in the great beyond.

I think problems happened when Azshara distanced herself from the priesthood, they probably started looking down on because they outstripped their mastery and knowledge of the well and its magic. The spiritual discipline helps with humility and discipline to say no and not over extend, the nature harmony that develops into full fledged druidsm puts balance at the heart of its doctrine. Star Augur Etraeus as you can assume Azshara and other night elf magic users would have peered into the stars and seen some of these great threats... well beyond the ability of their fledgling civilization - against such large threats usually knowing someone like God (Elune or the Light in wow's case) is beyond even that helps keep you sane - if not you may despair (Etraeus remarks - "tremble! " because he certainly is) and you then try to fix these problems either worrying yourself into a crazed stupor or if you wield the power of the cosmos, I can see you thinking that you can overcome those odds if you train more, study more, get better - and you start pushing yourself well past safe limits.

All because you can't see things in perspective or have a little faith. I'm not saying that happened persay, they've never gone into that level of detail, but hey you have to dig into the mindsets and understand what sort of function a priesthood serves and knowing a greater force like the Light or Elune actually does to keep one humble and not panic arming yourself becuase you can't rely on anyone else but your own unmatched intellect and grace .

Oh yes, they still had knowledge, but off course they were badly out of practice which is why the storm went so bad. And yes they'd have taken some books and devices too, the vial of the well of eternity they stole is one of them. But compared to what was lost, it would have been tiny, and it wouldn't have been much - i cannot imagine the night elves letting them go with turns of books on the arcane visible for all to see.

14/05/2017 09:47Posted by Tanariá
This is what I have been saying all this time. This is the ancient Highborne culture. The old Highborne's way of life. I do believe, when Blizzard thought of the Nightborne, it was going along the lines of

"How would the Highborne of Azshara's Empire, see Azeroth today?"
exactly. Its like they lifted Knaaks WotA stuff on Suramar and just expanded on it in game, making it come to life. If you read the first book of the trilogy when the narrative follows Malfurion about Suramar, the feel you get from there is all in-game in Suramar. You just see the nobler side to the Highborne also as well as the ugly side. But then wota night elf section was told from the perspective of the Stormrages, yet people like Farondis, Ravencrest, Estulan, Evenshade, Ly'leth Lunastre and Thalyssra were all highborne not to mention so was Darth'remar and they are not like Azshara, Xavius, Duskmere or Corbyn Stelleris. Elisande was decent until she makes that pact, but then so was Azshara although with Azshara we did not see the evil in her till it actually came out, while with Elisande it seems more she feels forced into this and chose the wrong option. When you beat her she actually helps you instead. She was no true believer in the Legion.

It was nice to see the story from the highborne perspective.