Anduin's Questline - Where's the Horde part?

General
1 2 3 12 Next
Hey Blizzard,

We got news from MMO-Champion from the Live servers, no less! There's a whole chain worth of quests for the Alliance characters that centers around Anduin.

Having watched the whole thing on YouTube and pausing the video at key points to actually read all the text and NPC dialogues, I must say that thing is a gold mine for lore fans. There's quite a bit of character development there and story refinement in general. Seeing Genn and Velen actually do something (while still playing the roles of concerned grandpas) was a nice touch as well.

My question is... so where is the Horde part of the lore quests? I'm pretty sure there were LOTS of opportunities to tell something as amazing and heartbreaking as what Anduin just went through but we never got anything other than an edgy dead elf going out on a revenge quest. Again.

[EDIT3]

Ion Hazzikostas has voiced his opinion regarding this problem in the latest Live Q&A.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/138463238
Time stamp: 1h13min30sec.
TL;DW from MMO-Champion (cross-reffed these points with Ion's actual words to make sure it's 100% accurate, just in case):
- Vol'jin is dead, what update do you want?
- Stories are told in a way that makes sense for the narrative.
- This felt like the right time to finish the Alliance story arc.
- The team doesn't want to force symmetry and tell a story where it doesn't feel right.
- Going back to the initial Broken Shore experience, the Horde did have an extra cinematic.

So there you have it. That's the most Blue answer that you can ever get - coming from Ion himself.

My personal take on all these points is, not surprisingly, covered in this very post so there's honestly not much to add here other than what I've already said.

Consider this thread closed. We have provided our feedback and this is the Blizzard answer. It is quite final.

[EDIT2]

Well damn.

Taliesin and Evitel have decided to cover this thread in their latest video. You can find it here: https://youtu.be/eBLjADmLDGs

They have discussed a lot of things, but guess what! They didn't get the main problem here either! Or even read the TL;DR in this updated original post here where it's spelled out in the most simple way possible for reader's convenience.

Why. Just why.

[EDIT]
Alright, this thread got blue-tagged and the Blue, just as the majority of the people who replied here completely misunderstood what I talking about in this original post.

Clarification:
- More lore is GOOD and I'm happy for the Alliance that they got this quest line.
- Horde side of the current story event needs to be covered too.
- AP rewards from Anduin's quest line are irrelevant. Forget about them, they are not important AT ALL.
- Cinematics are NOT the only way to experience lore with. I don't care how many cinematics Horde/Alliance has compared to their counterpart. We also need actual story quests with quest logs, NPC interactions and character conflicts and develop BOTH factions further and don't leave them at a cliffhanger after the initial leveling experience to max level is over.

Quoting the wall of text from my later post couple of pages down this thread to give you a better understanding of where I'm standing and where I'm coming from:

21/04/2017 13:30Posted by Великогрив
You lads are still missing the key point of this entire thread.

This is not about the amount of cinematics. This is not about which faction's races got more screen time in these cinematics. It's about the lore. As in, the whole story and not just those juicy parts of it that are shown in the pre-rendered cut scenes.

The fact that some of you, like Honík and Immortall, are trying to dumb it down to specific events, "evening everything out" and counting quests and cut scenes speaks volumes about you not understanding the problem that I was trying to point out in the first place.

I'm talking about quests logs, NPC dialogues and the player character's responses to NPCs when you interact with them, about what's actually going on in the given faction during the unfolding events.

Was it good before, in previous expansions? No. You do quests while levelling, you get your story fix, and that's it. Well, unless you hit Accept Quest and Complete Quest faster than you can physically read those mysterious walls of text where you are told about what is going on and what you've just done. Then, after hitting level cap, it's all on endgame content to get more story.

I want to know what BOTH faction have been doing while I was levelling and while I'm progressing through the content that is being gradually unlocked.
I want to know whether Sky Admiral Rogers found out that there was a Dreadlord in place of Shaw in SI:7 and that she was manipulated to attack the Horde by the Legion based on her hatred towards the Forsaken for the destruction of Southshore.
I want to know why the Fel did the Forsaken race leader suddenly decided to piss off and go do her own thing right after delivering that speech to unite the entirety of the Horde against the Legion on the basis of getting revenge for Vol'Jin's death and why no one tried to question her.
I want to know how the rest of the people inside the Horde reacted when it became known what she was planning and almost accomplished.
I want to know what the actual factions are going through right now, and we got a glimpse of that in Anduin's quests for the Alliance side. What are the citizens' of Orgrimmar or Thunderbluff thoughts on the current Legion Invasion crisis? What are both Alliance and Horde specifically doing about this? So far the faction-less class halls have been the center of attention with faction political leaders being awkwardly shoved in because there's just no one else who is known well enough to tell the story with.

The Krasarang campaign in Pandaria was a great example of the storytelling done right - we got both sides of it, with controversies, conflicting viewpoints and vast development for both red and blue that lore lovers are still arguing about to this day.

If you are talking about cut scenes only and how much more one faction is featured in them over the other, you either didn't read what I wrote in the original post and just saw the shiny word CINEMATIC, or you don't really care about lore at all unless it's right in your face and you don't have to read it.

Alternatively, you are purposefully trying to be clever and steer the discussion toward such meaningful nonsense as the merger AP rewards from Anduin's faction exclusive quest line that wasn't even remotely the purpose of it.

Whole expansions in the past that were more heavy in narration towards a given faction and now YOU feel justified to feel good about yourself at others' expense? How could you even come down to such childish reasoning? The story SHOULD be balanced across both factions and it SHOULD be told in equal manner for both sides of he conflict.

TL;DR for the lazy cinematic watchers and counters: Blizzard, please step up the quality of your in-game storytelling - it's lacking in weird places and is comically skewed towards one faction or the other at varying times.
well no1 gave a crap about vol'jin, since even mankrik's wife had more lore attached to her. i can see why there is no questchain for that dead troll
You probably get something with finding one of Vol'Jins tusks and then his spirit comes out and hes all like TROLL MAGIC..

Not a topical joke at all... :p

idk, that would be cool though.
19/04/2017 06:25Posted by Великогрив
so where is the Horde part of the lore quests? I'm pretty sure there were LOTS of opportunities to tell something as amazing and heartbreaking as what Anduin just went through but we never got anything other than an edgy dead elf going out on a revenge quest. Again.

Why should there be a horde special quest line? the last 2 expansions revolved around the hordes. i think you got enough for the past 3 years.
Consider it a payback for 5.3.

Now we are even.
Perhaps one involving gallywix? He did get a model update in 7.2.... Or do rogues get to do anything with that model in their quest lines?
Is this Anduin quest now live? I have not had a pop up or anything?
19/04/2017 08:11Posted by Odysseas

Now we are even.

In all due honesty: You were more then repaid with SoO.
To be fair with the horde and alliance being at a near state of war again, it would be a little odd for anduin to wonder around with a horde hero. Perhaps an exception could have been made for characters that completed the pandaria legendary cloak quest up to a certain point. But that seems like a lot of work for only a limited portion of the horde player base.

"Mighty hero, please take me to the place where my father died... after you ran away and left him die." Even sunwalker dezco might turn a frown at that one.

But if the horde did get to walk anduin around the broken shore, then it would insert the concept of incoming faction peace again. Perhaps the devs want to leave us hanging a bit longer, anticipation for some future genn and sylvanas conclusion, etc.
Hopefully horde will get something too, just staggered a few additional weeks.

19/04/2017 08:43Posted by Ronaeriel
19/04/2017 08:11Posted by Odysseas

Now we are even.

In all due honesty: You were more then repaid with SoO.

When do we raid Stormwind?
19/04/2017 11:29Posted by Karnaugh

When do we raid Stormwind?

Mythic Garrosh, phase 4 :P
Horde doesn't need a Q line for the simple reason they have actually already had it.

This cinematic is merely the passing of the torch from the father to the son. In the Horde BS cut scene stuff, we got the passing of the Horde torch from Vol'jin to Sylvanas. So in actual fact, horde was actually months ahead of this cut scene.
Enough with the orc lore whole of last expansion and all the garrosh drama before that..... we are even now!
19/04/2017 11:45Posted by Lswindrunner
Horde doesn't need a Q line for the simple reason they have actually already had it.

This cinematic is merely the passing of the torch from the father to the son. In the Horde BS cut scene stuff, we got the passing of the Horde torch from Vol'jin to Sylvanas. So in actual fact, horde was actually months ahead of this cut scene.

That was because we were painted of as cowards and the cinematic was 60% varian and his almighty glorious dead.

19/04/2017 11:48Posted by Zandall
Enough with the orc lore whole of last expansion and all the garrosh drama before that..... we are even now!

How so? Remind you that you got to raid our capital, got rewarded our horde themed PvP weapons as a recolor and an heirloom, a Mount named after special forces of the Horde, horde faction crippled and that could be destroyed by one fingersnap of the grand superpower (words used by the lore developer, not me).

Meanwhile Vol'jin is dead, orcs have no real leader, trolls have no real leader, Baine cares more for Anduin than the Horde and we are left with an undead edgy emo teen leading us.

Yeah whoever is in charge of the lore department is doing a really, really bad job at balancing around the two factions.

I mean we suffered a great loss at siege of orgrimmar, so the Alliance had to get a great loss aswell...

Villian cannon fodder loss vs almighty heroic loss, which do you prefer? Meanwhile Horde had to retreat because we couldn't suffer a loss anymore.
Why would you want a balance between the stories of the two factions?
Why are we even now? I don't get it. There is supposed to be a story here. What's the matter if the alliance lose a hero but the horde don't and vice versa?

I Don't agree with mutual things happening in both alliance and horde and experiencing the same things just with different characters. Neither do I want a balanced story between the two factions. Where is the drama and excitement in that. This game other than giving us pleasure in playing it, it tells us a story in which we don't have a saying in it. We don't go to George R.R. Martin and tell him how his next book should be so why do that for Blizzard lore?
19/04/2017 09:41Posted by Seung
"Mighty hero, please take me to the place where my father died... after you ran away and left him die."
i don't know for sure but i am pretty sure that the horde will get their quest-line i mean we have not heard anything towards the sylvanas story since errr and correct me if i am wrong the end of stormheim?

give it a week you might see something pop up and if it does be happy you will higher artifact knowledge and get more AP.
I remember when the Horde got quests about defending Sen'jin Vilage and Razorhill with Thrall, Vol'jin and Chen in MoP.
While the Alliance got a robo-cat quest. :)
The Horde got a cinematic about Vol'jin's demise. Now the amount of cinematics the factions have in Legion are equal. The Horde's was Sylvanas rising to Warchief, and now the Alliance has one where Anduin is rising up to take up the mantle of High King with greater resolve and determination.
I'm not talking about have the same amount of cut scenes that are faction specific. I'm talking about telling a good story for both factions.

What did the Horde get:
The Warcraft Emo Idol was placed the Warchief Throne and what is her reasoning? "Revenge". Again. Seems like it doesn't even matter what it needs to be about - as long as it's revenge it's cool with that dead chick.
Go ahead, sack Vol'Jin for no apparent reason, other than let's make both factions loose their leaders, and make him look like an absolute tool on the battlefield after being a legitimate badass in his own book during the Pandaria days. That was such an underhanded gesture, I'm sure Metzen would just pimp-slap whoever is working on the story now.
As a result Orcs are officially leaderless, Trolls are leaderless, Baine is not doing anything, Gallywix is not doing anything, Lor'themar is not doing anything, Ji is not doing anything. And Sylvanas is about about "yolo let's get everyone hyped about revenge again because that's the only way that I know how to get the crowd excited!"

What did the Alliance get:
Actual character development for the key individuals in the Alliance command. Genn is more human than ever and shows actual emotions other than "imma tear you scrubs apart" that the blind Horde-, and more specifically Forsaken-, fanboys want him to be seen as. Velen is finally doing ...something.
Varian's part in the Legion so far, even if it was only in the beginning of it, was so badass it completely overshadowed the piss poor Horde part even in the Horde version of the Horde Broken Shore cinematic.
Anduin is actually DEVELOPING as a character - he is growing up, learning, figuring out how to be a King and how to lead people. He is becoming just as badass as his late dad - who else can claim that as a teenager they had a 1v1 with a literal Dreadlord, had that Dreadlord rekt and then bound in some kinky Light-infused-BDSM-chains before busting that Dreadlord's skull wide open? And now Anduin as legit becoming a man - there is visible struggle and growth to him. He's no longer a boy.

That is Character Development. With capital letters.

So why can't the Horde get something just as cool and not a reused contraceptive in the form of the undead racial leader operating the same "revenge all the things" card?