World Quest Group Finder, RIP

Interface and Macros
I am going to start by saying that this is not a complaint but rather me expressing how game changing this add-on was for me. Blizzard have recently sent out a hot fix to stop people from using WQGF. I read a post that said Blizzard stopped people from using the add-on because it was creating lag for certain players. Which is understandable but I think the only reason so many players use this add-on is because it is functionality that is missing in the blizzard UI.

It made grouping easy and seamless for group content and I see all world quests as group content because u have an advantage over players that don't group. I never had to wait around with this add-on to complete a quest with an elite mob or a world boss. I walked into the area. Add-on added me to a group or raid and done. Been able to seamlessly access content without having to wait around is fun and connects the player to the content.

It even fits the game thematically, groups of alliance and horde working together to fight off the legion. It made me as a player feel like I was part of something. Not just me and one other guy stemming the legion onslaught. Without this add-on, world quests feel empty and less alive. There must be a way to group players for world quests without overloading servers. Removing this add-on from the game is like removing DBM, its a core part of how I play the game.
I only got this add-on when 7.2 launched and found it great. I remember the first time I ran into a WQ zone and the pop-up asked if I wanted to join a group and I simply clicked Yes and the WQ was done in about 60 seconds.
I thought then and there and there was no way Blizzard would allow this to stay. It was just too good to be true.

I will be very sad if the changes bring an end to grouping for most WQs. I hope they can find a way that keeps it working whilst prevent realm hopping which is likely the main reason for most issues.
Thank you Blizzard... Today i remembered how booring wq actually are in the long run. your player base have dropped and i think removing this addon will not help the issue. atleast in my case, I will be spending alot less hours in-game and if the standard UI don't get an update to more easily find grps. It will probably end in me quiting, I just cant keep up with all the wq and AP grind as this will make it take doubble the time to do the required world quests. Some of us also have work on the side and can't spend 5 hours every day to do all your grinding.

I understand this was probably an issue with server lagg (cause of server hopping) but you should have intergrated an update in the standard UI Before you perma removed this addon.
*alert* *alert*

We have detected players finding ways to make the endless grind less tedious.

To fix this, we've broken WQGF. Please return to your mindless grind.

Seriously, just when I think I can't dislike Blizzard more, they surprise me with something else.

I only play to interact with the friends I've made and raid with them, unfortunately doing these abysmal world quests is a requirement.
An addon shows the problem of your system and servers, and your solution is to eliminate it. Bli$$ard,You are doing things very badly, this expansion is going to be remembered as the worst, a lot of RNG, bugs and elimination of things that made the life easier to the players.
pff i think i will stop playing seriously.
I am so amazed that Blizzard always finds a way to fix something that is not broken, but fails to even attempt to fix things that we cry for fix since release of this expansion.

Could you tell us if you are preparing market for some new MMO and have short-term plan of killing WoW in order to free player base? Because this is how it looks like atm.
The add-on has been updated, it's by no mean fixed but it does fill the search group for you to click/join manually a group.

As a dev i understand what it means to have someone using a tool to automate certain API usage and looking for group can be pretty intensive server side.
Especially if the add-on is like a 2-4x more heavy user than a regular person (it would queue for the max number of group possible) and you multiply that by all the people that automatically look/join a group just by passing by.
So it's like a small DDOS from within the game.
So yeah, if I was blizzard I would do the same hotfix BUT I would look for a way to reintegrate it in some form.

Now the update of the addon doesn't fix the automated situation but it does bring a common syntax to look and search for groups, so it's not as fast, nor as streamline but you can still easily find a group at the cost of a few clicks

Let's just hope that some automation can come back in some form.
29/04/2017 04:17Posted by Vorgos

So it's like a small DDOS from within the game

[/quote]

I agree, players were experiencing lag and Blizz had to address the issue. I am not a developer, so I am not ever sure if this is possible. Could blizzard limit the add-on by limiting the number of server clusters u could access. Based on the host sever.
29/04/2017 04:41Posted by Ovablast

I agree, players were experiencing lag and Blizz had to address the issue. I am not a developer, so I am not ever sure if this is possible. Could blizzard limit the add-on by limiting the number of server clusters u could access. Based on the host sever.

It is not uncommon to have a limit of request per second but has Blizzard implemented it ? It is possible to do it without some major changes server side ?

There is a lot of thing unknown and if there is nothing for it, it can be pretty difficult.
Also the nature of a hotfix is that it was urgent and allow the dev team to take a step back and see the whole picture, also get feedback/brainstorm on possible solutions (or not) with engineering team/chief and/or product managers on the direction this situation should take -> allocate time to fix (in a timely fashon) + test + QA or just block it forever it the added value of fixing it is not sufficient vs the workload.
The final decision on it will impact several million users so they can't just put a band-aid and hope it hold.
Well, WQGF was very good addon, but dont worry!
Blizzard will implement this future in couple years from now, like they implemented many things that addons offers in past, byt years after those addons was created.

Thanks blizz for makeing wq even more painfull ;)

IMHO good dev should implement this future in next patch, but ofc, blizzard isnt one ;)
After 7.2 Wqgf started to work lazy, trying to find grp even longer than WQ duration. Wasnt fault of addon, only blizz make mess in servers. Rasult? Not repairing servers to working state, but forbidding addon. Really great work.
29/04/2017 04:17Posted by Vorgos
The add-on has been updated, it's by no mean fixed but it does fill the search group for you to click/join manually a group.

As a dev i understand what it means to have someone using a tool to automate certain API usage and looking for group can be pretty intensive server side.
Especially if the add-on is like a 2-4x more heavy user than a regular person (it would queue for the max number of group possible) and you multiply that by all the people that automatically look/join a group just by passing by.
So it's like a small DDOS from within the game.
So yeah, if I was blizzard I would do the same hotfix BUT I would look for a way to reintegrate it in some form.

Now the update of the addon doesn't fix the automated situation but it does bring a common syntax to look and search for groups, so it's not as fast, nor as streamline but you can still easily find a group at the cost of a few clicks

Let's just hope that some automation can come back in some form.

Great post, with an objective and professional point of view, not the usual "fun detected, needs forbidden" drivel I got to see lately. I never used the addon, but I did experience lag (and I don't have connection issues normally). Especially doing a world boss was lately an experience of desperately trying to land a spell on the boss, with a full red latency bar. I'm not a programmer, but an addon automatically searching and applying to maximum number of groups just by zoning in sounds like a pain in the !@#. People cry that "blizzard should upgrade their servers", but nobody in their right mind makes servers intended for constant stress load.

If the system could ever be implemented as a game one, maybe the areas could be built for such behaviour. I think other games have similar mechanisms (like the rifts in Rift maybe? I played very little that game but I recall rifts being a common effort of everybody in the area of one). I think same was in GW2, with everybody in the area contributing to the event. However, a 3rd party software sounds like a headache.
Phasing had become slow AF. If this addon was the culprit then I'm glad it's gone.
Nothing's stopping anyone from doing the exact same thing manually, 2 clicks, 1 scroll, 5 seconds of waiting and you're done.
Lazy !@#$ers...
Alot PVP servers was 50/50 or 60/40 back in WOTLK/TBC and most of them is 90/10 now.

So folks who playing least numbered faction was having problems doing WQs on them being ganked vs opposing faction in 10vs2, 5vs1 an such.

And this addon was helping them alot.

Faction balance could be fixed without addons if they would make PVP realms CRZ and phased,

like: phase 1 50Horde and 50Alliance on both servers, instead of 90 Horde 10 Alliance on 1server and 90Alliance 10Horde on another server.

The good news is that World Quest Group Finder addon developer thinking about updating it to make it work without "automation", but ofc it was more useful before since addon was automatically removing realm-hoppers by checking their distance from quest location.
To everyone moaning about the WQGF being broken. I'd like to reiterate at this point:

THEY AREN'T BREAKING IT! ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS ONCE THEY'VE BEEN UPDATED BY THEIR CREATORS IS CLICK AN EXTRA BUTTON THAT'LL POP UP IN THE CENTRE OF THE SCREEN WHICH TAKES 2 SECONDS.

But the add-on will NOT WORK PROPERLY until their DEVELOPERS have had a chance to update it!

In order to alleviate those issues, we’ve recently applied a hotfix that changes how addons interact with the Group Finder. Players will now need to give a manual confirmation when an addon attempts to:
- List and delist a Group Finder group.
- Search for and request an invite to a Group Finder group.

Addons that are affected by these changes will need to be updated to comply with this new restriction. We understand that this is a relatively sudden change, but it was important to resolve the performance issues as quickly as possible.

This means that they haven't broken the Add-on they've simply changed the interaction behaviours. The problem you see right now is that your beloved add-on isn't updated and god forbid you have to wait 2 days and be inconvenienced whilst the creators adjust to these changes.
update your addon. works like before but with a few fast clicks
yeah its working again. just needs a few more clicks.

i wonder if the problems are still solved with the server lag and all that, or if blizz has to change things again.
OK, Phew.
I just updated the WQGF add-on and went and did a WQ on Broken Isles.
The usual "Would you like to join a group?" dialog popped as before. I clicked yes. Then another dialog popped asking if I wanted to search for a group, I clicked the button. Then yet another dialog popped saying found 2 groups and asked if I wanted to join one. I clicked another button and was instantly added to a group.

It was three clicks instead of one but worked perfectly well and I am pleased that Blizzard didn't break the add-on entirely.
If this fixes the lag issues and / or reduces realm hopping then I am happy with how this all works now.