Strongest ranged DPS for M+?

Dungeons & Raids
I'm not a raider, and the only challenging thing I participate in this game is M+ with a small group of friends. M+ is possibly the only reason I play the game right now.

Problem; I'm a Shadow Priest, we are renowned for our awful AoE and massive ramp-up time, which causes me to feel like dead-weight outside of the highest keys my team and I are capable of (and fortified weeks). To top it all off, I feel carried on the interrupt front due to Silence having a 45s CD (although Mind Bomb is great).

I'm considering returning to my old, barely 110 Elemental Shaman (I have no interest in enhancement, although I did enjoy Resto) due to the rumours I've heard claiming they are excellent for trash but weak on bosses (tyrannical = problem?), or leveling a Warlock (of which I am open to all specs) which I'm mostly clueless on. What are the strengths and weaknesses of those? Are there any other classes that are just excellent all-around in M+? I really care not for their performance in raids, I just want a rewarding, fun and potent class to play in M+.
I main warlock and on st I'm up there with the hunters, but on mt I lack. I can go with better mt and lack on st, which might be better on higher keys.
Thing is, affliction has also quite a ramp up time. But I don't feel carried. I realize on trash I won't be high on the meters, but single out the bosses and I'm high both in m+ and raids.
I barely tried demo and destro but they're performing decently as well. Demons have some nice abilities, 2 have interrupts on a rather short cd that you command yourself.
I also play BM hunter, does pretty well but is pretty simple to play. My shaman is enh/resto spec. Those specs share stat prio so it's easier to keep both geared.
In the end it comes down to having fun. If you like playing your priest and your friends are ok with your dps, is there really a problem?
30/06/2017 02:45Posted by Ivydoom
If you like playing your priest and your friends are ok with your dps, is there really a problem?

Those I play with are absolutely fine with me playing a Priest, it's a personal issue I have where my enjoyment is being dragged down by the feeling of seeming like the weakest link. I'm also just looking for variation, certainly not benching my Priest for good - it'll always be brought out for 10+ on Fortified weeks as it's just so damn fun when trash lives for a lengthy period.
Mage, Hunter and Balance Druid should do fine for you.
I recommend you playing an affliction warlock in m+, since you are already familiar with keeping dots from a shadow priest.
In a tyranical week(and in keys with lots of small adds like EoA) you can go into 3-1-2-2-2-1-3 and be almost at full single target dmg(over 1kk easily since you can start with souls) while you are good on groups with medium sized adds(you keep your agonie on all of them and spam seed) and amazing at mass aoe (2-3 agonies and seed spam).
In a high fortified key you can then go to 2-1-2-1-2-1-3 and destroy medium sized trash very hard(3-4 elite npcs) and get 1,4kk dps and more on every pull and still be decent at bosses. I did a +15 arcway this week and got a overall dps of 1,5kk.
In addition you have a high self healing and a CR, which are both usefull. If you really want to look into it, i can also recommend you this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6WscFkdvjA which shows you both play styles.
30/06/2017 10:06Posted by Parguri
I recommend you playing an affliction warlock in m+,

I've considered affliction time and time again in the past. I understand why they'd be good in higher keys, but what enables them to keep up in lower keys - is it purely Sow the Seeds + Soul Flame or is there something else? What other weaknesses of Affliction can I expect?

I watched that video, and I like the versatility he presented in build options - from what I gathered there's build that answers <10 keys, a build that answers Fortified and a build that answers Tyrannical, but that seems just too good to be true.
We die fast if we cannot cast.
30/06/2017 23:36Posted by Oldbury
I've considered affliction time and time again in the past. I understand why they'd be good in higher keys, but what enables them to keep up in lower keys - is it purely Sow the Seeds + Soul Flame or is there something else? What other weaknesses of Affliction can I expect?

For low keys a high amount of our power comes from sow the seeds and soulflame, yes. Afflictions weaknesses are in my opinion the lack of mobility in high keys(going for 16 and more I cant justifie Burning Rush for myself anymore), the lack of an interrupt (you use your inferno on trash), the lack of high burst dmg on a single target(we are still a dot class with ramp up time) and the almost not existing abilities to deal with the explosive orbs(we are terrible at it)

30/06/2017 23:36Posted by Oldbury
I watched that video, and I like the versatility he presented in build options - from what I gathered there's build that answers <10 keys, a build that answers Fortified and a build that answers Tyrannical, but that seems just too good to be true.

It's true, Affliction is a true powerhouse in M+ for every week. I would highly recommend you going for the ToS 4 Set if you want to push affliction hard(its amazing for multi target and good for single target).
MM or BM are great for M+. MM definitely more visually rewarding.

Depending on situation they are both usually on par in terms of dps just depends on the player behind them.
01/07/2017 10:27Posted by Parguri
It's true, Affliction is a true powerhouse in M+ for every week. I would highly recommend you going for the ToS 4 Set if you want to push affliction hard(its amazing for multi target and good for single target).

If Affliction relies on its 4 set to be powerful (similar story with S Priest), I'll not bother with the class. I have no intention or desire to raid at a difficulty that will get me reasonable iLevel pieces.
The 4-set from NH got slightly nerfed. I'm now using 2-set from there and got really lucky to also have 2-set from the new tier already. I get by just fine.
Lfr drops decent stuff (tos) so at least do those every week to collect your set.
Every class depends on their set one way or another. If you want to go high tier m+ you are going to want your 4-set no matter the class you're playing.
ToS barely has trash, you'll be done with it pretty fast, especially a bit later on when more people have better gear so there's more dps.
30/06/2017 09:35Posted by Krebsbein
Balance Druid

Hah get that out of here. Balance is just medicore and nowhere even near topping in any category
02/07/2017 08:40Posted by Riidansointu
Balance Druid

Hah get that out of here. Balance is just medicore and nowhere even near topping in any category

You're kidding or awful. Boomies are very strong in M+
To be perfectly frank all ranged dps is a solid and viable choice for mythic+. Mage, warlock and hunters are a bit more versatile however since they arent restricted by minor tweaks among one single spec and have multiple choices to choose from depending on dungeons and affixes.

If you only do Myth+ id suggest either hunter or shaman since you acctually have a decent choice of options for talent builds and the added diversity to become a melee brawler for explosive and volcanic weeks. As a hunter you also have the option to go BM and bring valuable hastebuffs or battle res, hunters also come with a CC, Interupt and a most valuable stun. Shamans also bring some sort of CC, stun, offheals and earthquake(even in its weakened state post haste nerf its still pretty strong). Then you cant really shy away from that shaman have a healer spec which could be a nice addition when your bored of dpsing for awhile.

Mages and Warlocks are also pretty solid choices, but their not diverse enought in my opinion(i guess i could recommend druids, but they just annoy me to much). If you plan to only do mythic+ and try to survive the burnout it can cause, a well rounded diverse class is the way to go. Especially now when "maxing out" weapons are not extremely bothersome.
Balance Druid

Lol
02/07/2017 12:46Posted by Barelyheals

You're kidding or awful. Boomies are very strong in M+

My partner plays Boomie on occasion. From what she tells me, they're a similar story to Shadow where they function very well on higher keys but completely lack the burst required for mass-pull lower keys that classes like Warrior, DH and DK do. Could also be misinformation, though.
Top tier: Hunter (any spec), Elemental Shaman,

Tier 2: Mage (spec depends on affixes), Balance Druid

Tier 2.5: Warlock

Tier 3: Shadow Priest

This list is based on DPS and utility such as interrupts, combat resses, stuns, knockbacks, CC etc.

Places might change slightly depending on affix but this is what I think
I have to vote for hunter (BM at least) here. They can do all their damage while never standing still. Even the channeled barrage works while moving. Affliction, shadow priest, mage and balance druids all rely on cast times, and it sucks very much when there's lots of things happening to evade. Their DPS will drop dramatically.
I would say Hunter MM/BM does not matter if they can play.
Really nice class to have in a Mythic + atm.