Explosive orbs

Dungeons & Raids
Ye, so something needs to be done about those explosive orbs in mythic+. They are hard as hell to target or even see in a clump of mobs. It also seems that there is no limit of how manny of these that can spawn, and target macro dont seem to work.

Looking through forum, it seems this affix is something ppl have complained about for some time now. Maybe time to get something done about it?

I always tell the tank to try pull small pacs and or even try cc what can be ccd, but sometimes its teeming/explosive affix week, and some pacs are just a big clump of pacs and therefore cant really be seperated into smaller pulls. Kara is a good example of a dungeon with lots of big pacs that really cant be seperated as most of them stand in groups of 6+ adds per pac.

Cheers :)
02/07/2017 00:31Posted by Balzy
Ye, so something needs to be done about those explosive orbs in mythic+. They are hard as hell to target or even see in a clump of mobs.

For me tab works perfectly fine. 95/100 times it instantly targets an explosive orb if there is one but you are right that they are kinda hard to see but there are weakauras telling you when there are orbs to kill.

It also seems that there is no limit of how manny of these that can spawn,

There wont be more orbs than mobs you have pulled.

Looking through forum, it seems this affix is something ppl have complained about for some time now. Maybe time to get something done about it?

People cry about literally ANY affix. Juts come back here next week and you will find people whining about affix x being too hard and y being a bad design. Hell even if Blizzard would create an affix that does nothing people would complain about it because Blizzard is too lazy or something.

I always tell the tank to try pull small pacs and or even try cc what can be ccd, but sometimes its teeming/explosive affix week, and some pacs are just a big clump of pacs and therefore cant really be seperated into smaller pulls. Kara is a good example of a dungeon with lots of big pacs that really cant be seperated as most of them stand in groups of 6+ adds per pac.

[/quote]
CC isnt always a good idea because mobs you are in combat with will spawn orbs whether or not they are in any form of cc.
You are right about some dungeons got ridiculously large mob groups especially in a teeming week but imho the bigger problem is fortified here and explosiv is just the cherry on the top but without fortified explosiv and the dungeon wouldnt be a problem.
The biggest issues about the orbs are the "tab target roulette" and the inability to acctually click them properly. Theres also the 2nd issue involving the scaling health of the orbs, which punish mainly casters(especially fortified cause this issue) making it uneccessary time consuming to handle the affix itself. I rather enjoy it near 7 when i heal cause i can help out on the orbs all the time, but once you hit +12 and beyond the orbs reach the point were some classes cant handle more then one orb before they explode.

I hate to be the guy thinking "hell i wont take certain classes for this week" but it in general just feel like some classes(especially ranged) are somewhat of a liability cause even if they react theres no way they will be able to handle orbs properly. This even caused the "orb killer" role to be a thing were every group strive to have a single melee be their hard working peon.

So tbh cut the hp scaling, make them have a proper name plate and im all good with this affix.
It's freaking annoying when I'm casting seed/UA and have to move because 4 of those explosions spawn at my feet and those WILL kill me if I don't move (or pop my 1 defensive cd)
I have to agree with Chejian about the caster issue. Im playing a fire mage, and sometimes i have my fire blast on cd, and or no instat pyro proc, so i have to cast a fireball on them, the problem isnt really hard casting a non instant spell, its their health pool, and that they explode very fast. On top of this, since they are so hard to see, and target sometimes one discovers them too soon and they go of. You cant aoe them either. It also seesm that Phoenix flames does no damage to them at all. I Know blizz dont want us to AOE them down, but not even Phoenix flames? its a part of my singel target spell aswell lol :D

I also tried several addons, and checked in the box that says "alwasy show namplates" and i still dont see the orbs nameplates or anything for that matter.
02/07/2017 07:14Posted by Ivydoom
It's freaking annoying when I'm casting seed/UA and have to move because 4 of those explosions spawn at my feet and those WILL kill me if I don't move (or pop my 1 defensive cd)

lol what? They deal damage if they explode, not if you stand near them. Do you even know what the affix does?
02/07/2017 12:41Posted by Barelyheals
02/07/2017 07:14Posted by Ivydoom

lol what? They deal damage if they explode, not if you stand near them. Do you even know what the affix does?

I think said person just confused explosives with volcanic.
Either way, im still amazed that after so long time, blizz has done pretty much nothing about this annoying afix.
02/07/2017 11:42Posted by Balzy
I have to agree with Chejian about the caster issue. Im playing a fire mage, and sometimes i have my fire blast on cd, and or no instat pyro proc, so i have to cast a fireball on them, the problem isnt really hard casting a non instant spell, its their health pool, and that they explode very fast. On top of this, since they are so hard to see, and target sometimes one discovers them too soon and they go of. You cant aoe them either. It also seesm that Phoenix flames does no damage to them at all. I Know blizz dont want us to AOE them down, but not even Phoenix flames? its a part of my singel target spell aswell lol :D

I also tried several addons, and checked in the box that says "alwasy show namplates" and i still dont see the orbs nameplates or anything for that matter.

Well personally I just tab target and pray when i play a caster(unless its visible enought to get priority when i mouse over). Ive dpsed a few dungeons this week even if i mostly play resto. Tried a 12 HoV as elemental and i instantly dropped the ele and became just mental, I basicly sat and held on to mealstrom just to have a semi powerfull eartshock ready for at least one of the orbs that spawned since if i were unlucky whiel more then one orb was up at the same time, we whould just target the same orb letting other orbs detonate in the process(or i just wasted a hard cast doing nothing).

The following dungeons i just put my little fist weapon on the shelf to bring forth a big hammer... worked out alot better and we also increased the average dps since we could somehow have faith in that me and the tank held of most of the orbs. Melee have it far easier with explosives, but from my own experience its mostly becouse of targeting to a very huge degree mixed in with the orb health preventing instant or quickly casted spells to finnish them off fast enought. Sometimes it takes 2-3 gcd's or one heavier hard cast, while for melee they often follow up a ability with a Auto attack that can chip off the remaining health. The difference between one lava lash / Stormstrike and a hard casted lava burst is immense when the time is so limited.
True i also noticed that these orbs are far easier for melee to handle rather than ranged, unless you are a hunter, they have loads of instant spells. Melee tend to have faster attacks with lower cd, for example rogues, warriors. demon hunter etc. I seriously hate doing mythic + when its explosive weeks simply cus it gets so damn annoying once you try to reach for the higher M+
03/07/2017 23:01Posted by Balzy
unless you are a hunter, they have loads of instant spells.

As a BM Hunter i drain 64 of my focus to kill one orb at higher levels, which means no other dps. You can see where that leads to mobs living longer which means more Orbs cycle is nasty and no fun. You can't have a bit less concentration/focus on the game or a second or you are all dead. Which makes this affix very draining for a person with ADHD.
What I said in a thread discussing this affix seems to fit well here.

My biggest problem with Explosive is it completely breaks the flow of the gameplay and exists solely to discourage large pulls. It's not difficult, but it's super bloody annoying.

So many of the affixes currently make dungeons with many large packs (L. Kara, Arcway etc.) an absolute pain in the !@#$. Some affixes are great fun, like Bolstering, Quaking, Volcanic & Sanguine, but then you get completely obnoxious ones like Explosive and Bursting which completely baffle me.

While I'd rather them just up-and-remove Explosive, a good mid-point would be to not allow "minor" enemies to spawn them. Using EoA as an example, "minor" enemies are those akin to Murlocs and Seaspray Crabs. Another possible mid-ground would be to let the orbs take cleave damage at a reduced %.
I never got further than +6 this week pugging because of this affix. If the boss spawned adds it was instant wipe because dps didn't even look at those orbs..
my technique to spot them right away :
- play with nameplates (V hotkey if default ones)
- get your camera as far as you can behind you and look above the adds' nameplates
- orbs nameplates will, 99% of the time, go above adds'
05/07/2017 07:53Posted by Latadin
I never got further than +6 this week pugging because of this affix. If the boss spawned adds it was instant wipe because dps didn't even look at those orbs..

The affix might suck, but the incompetence of others isn't a problem with it.
I don't really have any issues with targeting the orbs. It's usually a job for the tank/melee anyway. The one thing that makes this affix extremely frustrating is that mobs in CC can spawn orbs. On higher keys CC is important and it's very annoying to have those 2 mobs that are 30y away from the others to constantly spawn orbs. A lot of specs now do automatically cleave/aoe dmg on most of their ability which means you'll break the CC as well then nuking down those orbs.
I agree with all the posters above. But im not sure that, blizz actually put any thought behinde this affix. The fact that mobs that are CCd can spawn these just further proves my point.

Honestly a lot of the job done in this expansion isnt really a "blizzard job", and ive been a wow player since very early TBC. What i mean with "not a blizzard job" is stuff like these, that makes no sense, half done job and only put so much care into it. Im only speaking for myself when saying this, but i srsly never had so much stuff to complain about in any other expansion, as I have with legion. Its not just these retarded affix, its also the elitist attitude blizz have gone with in this expansion. Stuff like that everything is gated to something, either rep, achivment, class hall quests, zones etc (suramar is a perfect example of endless boring grinding for rep, just to further advance and unlock quests) This is not typically blizz, as they always tried to make the game for a wider audience.
07/07/2017 11:16Posted by Balzy
I agree with all the posters above. But im not sure that, blizz actually put any thought behinde this affix. The fact that mobs that are CCd can spawn these just further proves my point.

Honestly a lot of the job done in this expansion isnt really a "blizzard job", and ive been a wow player since very early TBC. What i mean with "not a blizzard job" is stuff like these, that makes no sense, half done job and only put so much care into it. Im only speaking for myself when saying this, but i srsly never had so much stuff to complain about in any other expansion, as I have with legion. Its not just these retarded affix, its also the elitist attitude blizz have gone with in this expansion. Stuff like that everything is gated to something, either rep, achivment, class hall quests, zones etc (suramar is a perfect example of endless boring grinding for rep, just to further advance and unlock quests) This is not typically blizz, as they always tried to make the game for a wider audience.

Well in theory more content then ever is open for everyone. I guess the time gate was their intention to prevent players from burning out and more causal players from falling to far behind and i suppose for most players this tends to work very well.

However the really causal player which play very sporadicly have it pure hell this expansion due to the massive amount of content to do, since it requires some matter of investment to progress in certain areas(artifacts one of those things and AP grinding do take some time). Then we have the "no life" gamers which find these time gates extremely frustrating to say the least.

Even i felt the stress during firefestival since i noticed Ive skipped it for as long as i remember and i really wanted the battle pets and achives done. But togheter with WQ's(ap), Myth+, raids and BG's(ye i do my daily at least) there were so smal windows to even fit it in on my scheduel. I also play way to much and could easially sort myself into the "no lifers".