Explosive is too frustrating

General
This is a personal opinion and point of view. I understand that some don't mind this affix, but many do, myself included. I also understand that mythic+ is supposed to be challenging, but it's also supposed to be fun. And what this affix does is anything but fun. Basically what you need to do is make one of the dps in your group only destroy the ugly flaming fel balls, because there's just not enough time to do both. If I have to give examples, take Black Rook Hold. You can't avoid pulling large groups of mobs, and what that means is you get X times as many explosive balls than there's mobs in your pull. You start hitting them and by the time you're done, hell even before you're done, more start spawning. You can't be focusing on killing the trash. All you do is hit balls over and over.

I don't mind the other affixes that much besides maybe Grevious which is bull as well, but with this one, the ratio between fun/challenge/frustration is just extremely outweighed by the frustration part. Myself and many others do not enjoy this at all.

Sorry if you don't agree but I needed to vent myself and see how many do agree with me on this...
You can't get more explosive balls than adds so that part is simply not true unless x = 1?
02/07/2017 14:15Posted by Barelyheals
You can't get more explosive balls than adds so that part is simply not true unless x = 1?

The amount of explosives you have destroy before the adds die is definitely higher than the amount of adds. At least on higher keys.
I don't like M+ at all, having to spend so much time running dungeons has not been fun this expansion. The affixes vary to how much of a ballache M+ is going to be that week.

I know many people really enjoy M+.
02/07/2017 14:37Posted by Punyelf
I don't like M+ at all, having to spend so much time running dungeons has not been fun this expansion. The affixes vary to how much of a ballache M+ is going to be that week.

I personally don't mind that it varies from week to week and I like the challenge higher keys can be, but I also expect a game I play to be fun. This affix is literally driving me crazy.
Explosive on itself is okay. With teeming however it becomes annoying.
I am generally invited to groups solely to deal with explosives since I have a very easy time dealing with them as a rogue. However, it is not always clear to the melee that it's their job to kill the explosive which causes wipes and frustration. I've also had pulls where, thanks to teeming, about 5 explosives pop up at the same time. Generally the casters are smart enough to kill a few themselves but you'll always have those who insist that the melee has to kill them. This is true, to a certain extent. There's a fine line between where the melee have to cover the orbs and when the casters have to help as well.

tl;dr Teeming + explosives is meh. explosives on itself is okay if you bring a melee and tell him to handle it.

You are not alone. I hate the very existence of mythic+ dungeons.
My biggest issue is that they don't take damage from certain abilities that cleave, such as Avenger's Shield. If you target an explosive orb and cast Avenger's Shield at it, the shield will bounce off the orb without doing any damage at all.

I think it's good that the orbs aren't just AoE'd down, but it makes it very frustrating when a large portion of your abilities are totally useless.

A prot paladin has judgement and shield of the righteous to kill orbs with. As BRM I have to blackout strike or tiger palm, takes two tiger palms if Face Palm doesn't proc. As WW I'm dumping all my energy and chi into tiger palm, blackout kick and rsk (cringe, so overkill), and it totally goes against the niche of the spec. I'm having to weave these abilities for my mastery, plus a single tiger palm won't kill an orb unless it crits.

The wombo combo of affixes this week just extrapolate all of the issues with the explosive affix. I've just been PvPing this week because pugging m+ currently is almost always a negative experience.

P.S I hope this thread doesn't turn into a "I hate that m+ exists thread" lmao
That's the problem with blizzard in general same goes for diabolo in some sort. For them higher or better say increased difficulty means mor hp and insane damage taken in many varieties.

It feels like a sick joke rather then a challenge. But I guess that's they're point since this defies how the concept of diffucult as they see it.

I prefer serious Sam at least that's to be expect. Hope you all know this one. ''Wink''.
Different affixes are designed for different skill sets. But there are occasions you simply can't click on an explosive because other mobs are over it. Tabbing doesn't always lock on to it either. Ideally a tank should slightly move the mobs to make such a task easier while trying to take out a few such orbs themselves, but we all know this rarely happens.

I'd be curious how an optional affix switch would work in the current mythic system. Present a party with a combination of affixes and the choice to go with one, two, or three in addition to the increasing power scale of mobs. No doubt most players would choose the easy options for most efficient farming. But sufficient incentive could be interesting to observe in some groups.
02/07/2017 16:00Posted by Seung
Different affixes are designed for different skill sets. But there are occasions you simply can't click on an explosive because other mobs are over it. Tabbing doesn't always lock on to it either. Ideally a tank should slightly move the mobs to make such a task easier while trying to take out a few such orbs themselves, but we all know this rarely happens.

I'd be curious how an optional affix switch would work in the current mythic system. Present a party with a combination of affixes and the choice to go with one, two, or three in addition to the increasing power scale of mobs. No doubt most players would choose the easy options for most efficient farming. But sufficient incentive could be interesting to observe in some groups.

The thing with targeting among large groups of mobs certainly adds to annoyance. Place them into tight spaces and it becomes close to impossible to take them all down (the part of BRH with the tight hallway or the stairs for example).

I don't think giving a choice to players would be a good idea since some affixes would never see the light of the world. I just think that Explosive needs some tweaking. Maybe make it targetable by a macro because I don't see a reason why that should not be possible.
02/07/2017 14:44Posted by Tokok

I personally don't mind that it varies from week to week and I like the challenge higher keys can be, but I also expect a game I play to be fun. This affix is literally driving me crazy.

It's particulary fun as melee when you can't even get near the green orbs of explosive doom as they are in the middle of mushrooms and other !@#$ on floor in DHT.

02/07/2017 15:06Posted by Kooki

You are not alone. I hate the very existence of mythic+ dungeons.

I much preferred it when it was Challenge Modes, I could just ignore those as it was just cosmetic stuff.
What i find anoying of explosive aswell when im on my unholy dk the orbs dont take dmg from clawing shadows even when im not standing in death and decay so it doesnt cleave.
Only ability that demon hunters can actually use against the explosives are felblade or chaos strike.

Since our fury gen isn't the best atm.. yeah..

Blade dance = Our ST ability = Not usable on orbs.

Throw glaive = Nope.

- Felblade being a CD though.

Reason why, I'll never dps on an explosive week..

Besides, I prefer tanking mythic+ and dpsing raids xD.
02/07/2017 15:16Posted by Lyasa
My biggest issue is that they don't take damage from certain abilities that cleave, such as Avenger's Shield. If you target an explosive orb and cast Avenger's Shield at it, the shield will bounce off the orb without doing any damage at all.

I think it's good that the orbs aren't just AoE'd down, but it makes it very frustrating when a large portion of your abilities are totally useless.

A prot paladin has judgement and shield of the righteous to kill orbs with. As BRM I have to blackout strike or tiger palm, takes two tiger palms if Face Palm doesn't proc. As WW I'm dumping all my energy and chi into tiger palm, blackout kick and rsk (cringe, so overkill), and it totally goes against the niche of the spec. I'm having to weave these abilities for my mastery, plus a single tiger palm won't kill an orb unless it crits.

The wombo combo of affixes this week just extrapolate all of the issues with the explosive affix. I've just been PvPing this week because pugging m+ currently is almost always a negative experience.

P.S I hope this thread doesn't turn into a "I hate that m+ exists thread" lmao

The DPS should be handling them, as it's a dps affix. But as usual it gets left to the tanks to have to do everything while the dps tunnel. Having no issues with it on my VDH but my Warrior really struggles.
02/07/2017 18:51Posted by Snafoo
The DPS should be handling them, as it's a dps affix. But as usual it gets left to the tanks to have to do everything while the dps tunnel. Having no issues with it on my VDH but my Warrior really struggles.

It's not as simple as it seems. For some specs it's simply impossible to quickly burst down single targets, as some need to build resources and others just lack the instant abilities to do it. I can do it as a frost mage, but that's the exact point of this thread. When I do it, it's the only thing I'll be doing through the entire run.

Take for example Havoc DHs, who need to build up their fury in order to use
most of their abilities. On explosive week, they need to change their talent build to Demon's Bite in order to even be able to kill the orbs consistently.

Shadow priests don't even have any burst abilities. They can cast Mind Blast, which is not very convenient. The only option they are left with is spamming SW:Pain on the orb, while killing one requires at least 3 casts of this one spell.

There are many more specs who can't consistently deal with explosive. What that means is that experienced mythic+ players won't invite these classes/specs when this affix is up and the less experienced will invite them and then struggle with the dungeon because nobody can destroy orbs. There's just too much wrong with this one affix. No specs should be put to such disadvantages, and nobody should be forced to adjust their playstyle just to deal with one thing. It's just wrong.
Apart from certain single target abilities not working, explosive is perfectly fine imo. Stop the sugar-coating.
I find M+ is probably the best thing they have added in a while. Would love to see it for every 5man in game .
I only find this affix really annoying when melee ignores it. I mostly play my affliction warlock now, today we started a +9 vault, everyone did perfect dps, but after 3-4 pack the healer left because we wiped 5 times because only i was trying to kill the balls while i was the only ranged, which is slightly challenging as an affliction warlock, without putting dots on it i can wipe my back side with drain soul, if i put dots on it but there is more than one then i don't have time to do that with both, so yeah. With teeming it was worst because first i had to manage to click on it.

On the other hand for melee it takes 1 sec to kill it so if they do their job there is nothing wrong with that, not the most interesting affix but certainly not that problematic.
03/07/2017 06:15Posted by Taronn
On the other hand for melee it takes 1 sec to kill it so if they do their job
Incorrect, not all melee classes.

Like DHs, if we have no fury = No damage.

Since the only ability that works on the orbs is chaos strike/felblade(CD) = We're more or less screwed on that way.

But, yeah.. on my demo lock.. I was the only one on the orbs..(2 melee)

Needless to say.. you get my point on the demo lock anyway? xD