Agtherian's Arcane Addendum - Beginner Arcane RP Guide!

Argent Dawn
19/12/2017 09:12Posted by Ghostpepper
I have questions in regard to chronomancy. We see spells that manipulate time often in WoW. We know that mages can manipulate time and that bronze dragons also manipulate time, the latter being considerably better at it perhaps. In any case, do the bronze dragons use arcane magic to do it? Or is their power something different?

All of the Dragonflights and their individual aspects were gifted their powers by the Titans. Titans are stated as having the Arcane as their lifeblood, so that's the source of their power. In regards to Nozdormu (Aspect of Time) and Bronze Dragons in particular, they were given the power of time by Aman'Thul (Leader of the Pantheon) to watch over and maintain it's purity. So yes, it is arcane magic with a golden tinge.

"Unto you is charged the great task of keeping the purity of time. Know that there is only one true timeline, though there are those who would have it otherwise. You must protect it. Without the truth of time as it is meant to unfold, more will be lost than you can possibly imagine. The fabric of reality will unravel. It is a heavy task--the base of all tasks of this world, for nothing can transpire without time."

This is the best quote I can find for it. Hope that answers your question.
Great guide!
Really epic, man. Keep it up. Can't wait to see what you've got. Nice work. Good luck. Sick.
Awesome guide! Just wanted to add the different runes mentioned in the quest
Dabblin in the demonic
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Quest:Dabbling_in_the_Demonic

In there you try to stabilize a demonic circle using runes from books which gives more depth to magic because we know for example that void and corruption dont go well with arcane and some rune names.

Talar

A very common rune used to empower arcane rituals is Talar. This versatile rune can be used in most incantations; however, it is rendered inert by void and corruption magics.

http://www.wowhead.com/npc=118154/talar#screenshots:id=618055

Igannok

Igannok is one of the many marks of the Void Gods, and using it is said to beckon their attention to you. While most practitioners would prefer to avoid the gaze of these beings, their attention can be beneficial when a great amount of void magic needs to be called on. Therefore, it is wise to use such marks only when the benefits outweigh the potential pitfalls.

http://www.wowhead.com/npc=118171/igannok#screenshots:id=618050

Cyiq

Little is known about the rune called "Cyiq" other than the vast potential for corruption it holds. There is no known constructive use for this rune, and it should be avoided in all rituals.

http://www.wowhead.com/npc=118169/cyiq#screenshots:id=618054

Taam

There are various runes used by the Scourge to empower their death magic rituals. Of these, the most powerful is Taam - the mark of the Lich. It is often used in the creation of Aberrations and Bone Golems, but can be employed in many rituals requiring powerful death magics.

http://www.wowhead.com/npc=118167/taam#screenshots:id=618053

Xiur

The rune Xiur can be used to augment many shadow rituals. It is a very powerful rune, and when utilized properly can assist in summoning powerful shadow entities. For reasons unknown, this rune has adverse reactions to arcane magic, and should not be used in rituals combining the two magic types.

http://www.wowhead.com/npc=118170/xiur#screenshots:id=618056

Dregla

The Dregla rune is often used in rituals that draw upon large amounts of fel energy, and is required for some kinds of demonic portals. By itself, however, it is incredibly unstable for non-demons, and needs to be balanced by arcane and death magics. When handling a ritual involving Dregla, it is wise to ensure that runes of these two types are present, to prevent catastrophic feedback.

http://www.wowhead.com/npc=118155/dregla#screenshots:id=664370

edit: finished and added imges
Very informative and interesting read. Thank you for taking the time to put this together, good sir!
Amazing guide!
Though, I do have a question. What school would mind-control fall, from the research I have done on my own is it would be Enchanting, but I want to see if anyone has a more clear answer to it.
20/07/2018 01:06Posted by Erenathyl
Amazing guide!
Though, I do have a question. What school would mind-control fall, from the research I have done on my own is it would be Enchanting, but I want to see if anyone has a more clear answer to it.

I'm not all too familiar with this but I'll give it a shot.
The Light in which many priests bathe is brilliant and effervescent, granting them immense divine power. But the brightest light casts the darkest shadow—and from within this blackness, a rival power dwells. Shadow priests fully embrace this opposing polarity, their faith equally resolute as their holy counterparts—but focused on shadowy magics and mental manipulation. Like all priests, they dedicate much of their lives to worship—but they derive their power from the Void, straying dangerously close to the domain of the Old Gods. To truly understand such ancient, corruptive influence is to be driven mad. This is the state in which these dark priests thrive, embracing insanity and feeding off of the minds of their opponents to reach terrifying new limits.

Is there a reason that many priest spells, especially shadow priest spells, have names that refer to psychic phenomena like " [Mind Spike]" or " [Psychic Horror]"? Are priests implicitly telepaths?
The Light is often said to bring about feelings of positive emotion— hope, courage, comfort— and the like. Shadow abilities are just the opposite, able to impart feelings like despair, doubt, and panic. In a poetic sense, it can be said that the emotions which the Light brings about come from the "heart," whereas the emotions manipulated by shadow are often based on survival logic, and therefore affect the "mind." That said, priests and their abilities are not necessarily always psychic or telepathic in nature.

It seems that that many forms of direct control comes from Shadow magic, and by extension, the Void. It's tapping into this eldritch energy that itself messes with the user's mind that allows them to have a greater understanding and exert a greater hold on people.

If you wished for a purely Arcane angle you'd probably wish to adopt an Illusion spell into the works. For example; you could make the victim of the spell see reality the way you want them to see it and thus make them more open to the suggestions that seem reasonable within that reality, adding to that you could enchant an item so that the power of the spell is a constant effect on them.

With that being said, it's not impossible for a Mage to learn or research Shadow magic as explained by the existence of Ur, a Kirin Tor mage who was renowned for his studies, and there have been instances of Mages adopting Priest spells into their repetoire.

The first example being Khadgar when he used the basis of a Priest's divination spell and added his own twist to it, the second being a recent one with Jaina exploring a soldier's memories. The soldier in question was absolutely willing though.

Long story short is if you want utter control: Shadow Magic. If you want Arcane shenigans: Illusion.