There are too much corruptions in WoW lore...

Story
I just noticed, the wow villains have no motivations. They do bad stuff, just because they are corrupted by someone.
Lets start from Sargeras.

1. Sargeras - was a good boy, then he got tired of killing demons, corrupted from the bad air and became a bad boy.

2. Archimond - was a great commander in Argus. Corrupted by Sargeras.

3. Kil'jaeden - same story with Archimond.

4. Loken - was a guard of Azeroth. Corrupted by Yog'saron

5. Deathwing - was an aspect of earth. Corrupted by an old god again.

6. Azshara - greatest queen of Sin'dorey. Corrupted by Sargerases love (huge !@#$%, probably)

7. Xavius - same story with Azshara. Gay...

8. Fendral - corrupted.

9. Orcs - were peaceful people in Draenor. Corrupted by Gul'dan and by Legion

10. Arthas - was a prince of Lordaeron. Corrupted by a sword.... A SWORD....

11. Kael'thas - same story with Arthas, but corrupted because of mana hunger.

12. Aegwynn - was a Thirisfal guard. Corrupted by the avatar of Sargeras.

13. Medivh - the same story with her mother Aegwynn.

14. Kel'thuzad - was a good mage at Kirin Tor- Corrupted.

15. Malygos - the aspect of magic. Corrupted of madness.

16. Sindragosa - died of hunger. Ressurected and corrupted.

17. Anub'arak - same story as Sindragosa

18. Renault Mogrein - the son of Alexandros Mograin (the guy with Ashbringer). Corrupted.

19. Garona - not a complete villain, but still, she killed king Llane. Was corrupted by Gul'dan

20. Maiev - was a hero of Sin'dorey, then became a villain, tried to kill Malfurion, and then became hero again. Simply wow lore....

21. Cordana Felsong - a girl from Maiev's squad. Corrupted.

22. Ysera at legion - Aspect of the Emerald Dream. Corrupted by Xavius.... Can you imagine that? A satyr corrupted the former aspect. Genius!

23. Almost the whole Emerald Nightmare bosses - Just corrupted. Don't ask questions, we need more bosses, but we are way to lazy to create new ones. Just take old characters and corrupt them. Simple as fck.

There are more villains that also corrupted by someone and became villains, but I don't remember them all. Please, add someone if you remember.

Thank you for your attention, I actually enjoy the WoW lore, this whole post is all about fun. I can criticize a thing I love.
24/07/2017 22:57Posted by Суренч
1. Sargeras - was a good boy, then he got tired of killing demons, corrupted from the bad air and became a bad boy

He was never corrupted. He willingly choose his path. There's a difference between being misguided and being corrupted.

Again, he was not corrupted. He desired more power for himself and so joined Sargeras.

Arthas started hearing Ner'zhul's whispers only after he picked up Frostmourne. He was not corrupted by any being when he doomed his men to a tragic death in Northrend and slaughtered his mercenaries.

Characters like Ysera were corrupted, because they were not given a choice. Sargeras, Archimonde and Arthas were given a choice. Specifically in Arthas' case, he could've listened to Medivh and rallied his people west across the sea, but still chose to fall into Mal'ganis' obvious trap because of his petty revenge.
Sometimes we are corrupted by our own doing.

Also. 24. Garrosh, corrupted by the Sha.
25/07/2017 00:05Posted by Xinmeng

Garrosh was never corrupted by the Sha. He acted as he did because he was Garrosh.
He actually managed to control the Sha unlike most people.
Maiev was a villain and tried to kill malfurion ? didnt hear about that before :/

About ysera .. xavius used the tear of elune to curropt her so that's mean he can't without it :)
25/07/2017 00:11Posted by Illidontdoit

Garrosh was never corrupted by the Sha. He acted as he did because he was Garrosh.
Is there actually any source to this? He may have had some control over his actions, but was probably still heavily influenced by its corruption.
was a great commander in Argus. Corrupted by Sargeras.

Well, Archimonde was given a choice, true. But he was also shown a vision that lead to that choice. And today, we know that that vision wasn't some prophecy but a deception that Sargeras manipulated. And once Archimonde recieves his powers, he is instantly, ultimately corrupted by the massive flow of fel now coursing through his veins and twisting his mind.

But he was also kinda powerhungry before so, maybe you're right there.

And in Arthas case I definitely agree. He choose to betray his men and his people.

25/07/2017 00:11Posted by Illidontdoit

This is true!

And for the record, Garrosh and Arthas are basicly the greatest villains in Warcraft. Arthas definitely, but Garrosh has also surged up on the list due to the complexity of the character.
He was our Warchief and until the very moment he crossed the line (by weaponizing the sha) and was later imprisoned for it.

But the troll rebellion-allied with alliance forces, against your own Warchief should be considered treason in my eyes. And therefore I'm glad Vol'jin's dead.
He was never corrupted. He willingly choose his path. There's a difference between being misguided and being corrupted.

He is corrupted by voids according to chronicles.

Again, he was not corrupted. He desired more power for himself and so joined Sargeras.

He couldn't refuse Sargeras because Sargeras did some strong magic, again from chronicles.

24/07/2017 23:38Posted by Munwe
Arthas started hearing Ner'zhul's whispers only after he picked up Frostmourne. He was not corrupted by any being when he doomed his men to a tragic death in Northrend and slaughtered his mercenaries.

He was listening Ner'zhuls voice in his dream, when he didn't take the Frostmorne. Source - rise of the lich king.

I was thinking about adding Garrosh to this list, but then I thought that Garrosh wasn't corrupted by anyone. He was seeking to control Azeroth and destroy the Alliance.
25/07/2017 09:32Posted by Суренч

I was thinking about adding Garrosh to this list, but then I thought that Garrosh wasn't corrupted by anyone. He was seeking to control Azeroth and destroy the Alliance.
Just because you have your own goals doesn't mean you're not corrupted, Deathwing in a way was like that, corrupted, but just a tool to be disposed of once his task was done, could've easily been the same with Garrosh
25/07/2017 10:54Posted by Guï
Just because you have your own goals doesn't mean you're not corrupted, Deathwing in a way was like that, corrupted, but just a tool to be disposed of once his task was done, could've easily been the same with Garrosh

Deatwhing had his goals after he corrupted, but Garrosh was seeking to destroy the Alliance when he wasn't the warchief of the Horde. He wasn't corrupted by anyone.
Deatwhing had his goals after he corrupted, but Garrosh was seeking to destroy the Alliance when he wasn't the warchief of the Horde. He wasn't corrupted by anyone.

About Deathwing, the Old Gods certainly used him and saw him as a useful tool, but as we can see in the (horrible) Knaak WotA novels, Deathwing also has his own goals and would easily turn on the Old Gods and and whoever he was "allied" with at the moment to achieve them.

Hell, in WotA he ignored the pain inflicted on him by the Old Gods, he ignored their commands and litterly threw himself in the way of the Legion to regain his Demon Soul, disregarding everyone and everything aslong as they did not stand in the way of his goal.

1. Sargeras - was a good boy, then he got tired of killing demons, corrupted from the bad air and became a bad boy.

3. Kil'jaeden - same story with Archimond.

They have already been explained.

6. Azshara - greatest queen of Sin'dorey. Corrupted by Sargerases love (huge !@#$%, probably)

Azshara always saw herself and her chosen highborne as better then the commenors and other races, she always saw herself as the supreme leader of -all- of Azeroth, she basicly was always corrupt.

7. Xavius - same story with Azshara. Gay...

He always wanted more, more and more power.

8. Fendral - corrupted.

I disagree with his corruption, but he followed that path willingly, to obtain more power for whatever reason.

9. Orcs - were peaceful people in Draenor. Corrupted by Gul'dan and by Legion

Most also walked the road to damnation willingly. I hate how this is something people keep ignoring/forgetting, but the majority of Orcs where cool with the Draenei and other races of their world bieng slaughtered, even after they lived with those races in peaceful coexistence for -generations-, the moment one (admittedly popular) farseer said they where planning their deaths, they all where cool, let's rape and slaughter them.

The majority did so willingly, same with the drinking of the blood of Mannoroth.

He already had the heart for it.
Just look at what he did too Stratholme, before he was corrupted and when his mentor and girlfriend disagreed with him, he ordered the Silver Hand to disband and the Paladins following Uther, and Uther himself, to be imprisoned.

Luckily his father wasn't a total !@#$-up.

11. Kael'thas - same story with Arthas, but corrupted because of mana hunger.

No, not "because of mana hunger", Kael'thas did it willingly because he wanted more power, for what reason? No idea, but the Prince had every chance and time to return to his people, or stay with the Betrayer, instead he chose to ally with the Burning Legion, betray his kingdom and become more demon then elf.

14. Kel'thuzad - was a good mage at Kirin Tor- Corrupted.

NO! He was never a "good" mage of the Kirin Tor, he experimented with Necromancy even while he was still a "good" member of the Kirin Tor and he willingly answered Ner'zhul's summons to Northrend.

Did he regret it? Yes, he even tried to flee but Kel'thuzad always was obsessed with necromancy and never followed the Kirin Tor's rules and regulations.

15. Malygos - the aspect of magic. Corrupted of madness.

Malygos was the Aspect of Magic, it was his entire reason of living to safeguard arcane magic.

When he was cured of his madness he saw the damage mortals had caused to the world with the same magic he was supposed to be the steward of.

Was it misguided to start the Nexus War? Yes, certainly but he was not "corrupt", nor was insane. It was a war caused by different philosophies/views on how things should be, wich is actually a nice change of pace.

18. Renault Mogrein - the son of Alexandros Mograin (the guy with Ashbringer). Corrupted.

From what I know of him, Renault Mograine was always a jealous little wus that craved the attention and power his father had, so it's a small step to betrayel then isn't it (just look at Prince Galen Trollbane).w
He was corrupted by his own lack of control over his emotions. *Taran Zhu raises fist judgmentally*
Speaking of Zhu, he was also corrupted by the Sha at one point.
25/07/2017 13:11Posted by Veshj

About Deathwing, the Old Gods certainly used him and saw him as a useful tool, but as we can see in the (horrible) Knaak WotA novels, Deathwing also has his own goals and would easily turn on the Old Gods and and whoever he was "allied" with at the moment to achieve them.

Hell, in WotA he ignored the pain inflicted on him by the Old Gods, he ignored their commands and litterly threw himself in the way of the Legion to regain his Demon Soul, disregarding everyone and everything aslong as they did not stand in the way of his goal.
Don't you mean to respond to
25/07/2017 11:23Posted by Суренч

instead?
Don't you mean to respond to ... instead?

Woops... updating my post!

not realy Azhara saw her self as equal to sargeras, and that sargeras was the only one who could be her husband, and that for tried to summon him, he probably had his finger in it, but she was never corrupted buy him in same way as others.
though she was changed buy N´zoth after this and became a Naga, probably out of desperation, she still is not totaly corrupted buy him still, and pretty much uses old god minions as her own private army, and doesnt realy take to much orders from N´zoth.
as we can see in the (horrible) Knaak WotA novels, Deathwing also has his own goals and would easily turn on the Old Gods and and whoever he was "allied" with at the moment to achieve them.

According to "Chronicles" Deathwing was easy target for Yog'saron because he was connected with earth, and it was easy to corrupt him like that.

They have already been explained.

Let me disagree.
Sargerases mind was corrupted by voids, but that wasn't an instant corruption, because Sargeras was a titan, and it's hard to mind control a titan, all this according to chronicles.

Archimonde and Kil'jaeden was corrupted by Sargeras. They couldn't refuse him because Kil'jaeden saw a vision that his world will become strong and powerful, but that vision was made by Sargeras to fool him. He was already corrupted.

I disagree with his corruption, but he followed that path willingly, to obtain more power for whatever reason.

He used dark druid magic, you can't do that if you aren't corrupted.

The majority did so willingly, same with the drinking of the blood of Mannoroth.

If you are speaking about Durotan, he was just doing what they told to him, to keep his clan safe.

No, not "because of mana hunger", Kael'thas did it willingly because he wanted more power, for what reason? No idea

He was angry about losing the sunwell. And without that magic, he and his people started to lose their minds.

He was never a "good" mage of the Kirin Tor, he experimented with Necromancy even while he was still a "good" member of the Kirin Tor

He did all that experiments because Ner'zhul told him, according to "Kel'thuzad road to damnation"

he was not "corrupt", nor was insane

He was insane. In the "Tides of war" Kalesgos explains that he was out of his mind.

From what I know of him, Renault Mograine was always a jealous little wus that craved the attention and power his father had

He wasn't always like that. He started to behavior like that after some mind controls on him.
Sargerases mind was corrupted by voids, but that wasn't an instant corruption, because Sargeras was a titan, and it's hard to mind control a titan, all this according to chronicles.

He was never corrupted by the Void Lords. It is stated the Void Lords are not strong enough to corrupt a fully-grown Titan, hence why they target them when they are still vulnerable World Souls. The Chronicles even state the Void Lords are jealous of the Titans' power. So Sargeras was not corrupted in any way, shape or form by the Void Lords. He went crazy because he was desperate after witnessing the horrors the Void Lords could unleash upon the Universe, and so he decided that the only way to save the Universe from the Void would be to burn it.

Archimonde and Kil'jaeden was corrupted by Sargeras. They couldn't refuse him because Kil'jaeden saw a vision that his world will become strong and powerful, but that vision was made by Sargeras to fool him. He was already corrupted.

Again, being misguided and being corrupted are two different things. Kil'jaeden could've simply disregarded that vision and followed Velen's decision. It was a possibility. But Sargeras' vision was simply too convincing. It still doesnt' change the fact Kil'jaeden could've just said "No, i don't believe to your visions, get away from my planet". They could have refused Sargeras' offer. They simply chose not to because his vision was very convincing. In the Warcraft universe, "Corruption" implies that a magical power takes control of your mind and you don't have free-will at all. That is false in Kil'jaeden's case, who could've declined Sargeras' proposal, but decided not to because he really believed in his ideals, although he was misguided by Sargeras' promises of power and visions.

Do you want the proof that Kil'jaeden (and Archimonde) were never corrupted by Sargeras? Watch the 7.2 Trailer. Kil'jaeden clearly has free-will, otherwise he wouldn't have questioned Sargeras' capabilities to win. He wouldn't have disrespected his master. Kil'jaeden was never corrupted. He was misguided. And that is obvious when Kil'jaeden feels regret because he sacrificed his world for a failed Crusade. When he starts to aknowledge that, perhaps, we can stop Sargeras.

As for Archimonde, he was just a power-hungry bastard. He didn't care about Argus. He only cared about power. He betrayed his mentor Thal'kiel and deceived the entire Eredar leadership for personal power. Some people are just evil.
According to "Chronicles" Deathwing was easy target for Yog'saron because he was connected with earth, and it was easy to corrupt him like that.

Alright I give you that, but at the least they where never able to fully corrupt him since, as I said before, we can see time and again where examples where Deathwing basically gave the Old Gods the middle finger and followed his own plans and plots.

Him trying to reclaim his Demon Soul above the Well of Eternity, against the wishes of the Old Gods.
Him trying to infiltrate the Alliance of Lordaeron and sow discord because they are the biggest threat to -his- plans.
Him trying to stash Black Dragon eggs away from the corruption of the Old Gods on Outlands/Draenor.

He used dark druid magic, you can't do that if you aren't corrupted.

Oh boy, do I have news for you about evil magics being used without being corrupted.

Does that mean the PC Shadow Priest, Warlock, Demon Hunter and Death Knight are all corrupted, evil beings too?

If you are speaking about Durotan, he was just doing what they told to him, to keep his clan safe.

No I am speaking about almost every single orc with the mag'har and a handful of other exceptions.

Garrosh drank willingly, Blackhand drank willingly almost every orc that lived at the time drank the blood willingly.

He was angry about losing the sunwell. And without that magic, he and his people started to lose their minds.

He might've been angry, but he chose to align with the Burning Legion on his own. It has been stated and shown time and again that only the very young, very old and sick died because of the withdrawal symptoms after the loss of the Sunwell, it does not deteriorate the mind of the Sin'dorei or Quel'dorei.

He did all that experiments because Ner'zhul told him, according to "Kel'thuzad road to damnation"

Wowpedia unfortunately makes no mentions of Ner'zhul telling him to experiment with necromancy.

It does however state.
Kel'Thuzad had been considered a maverick for years due to his insistence on studying the forbidden arts of necromancy. Driven to learn all he could of the magical world and its shadowy wonders, he was frustrated by what he saw as his peers' outmoded and unimaginative precepts. Upon hearing the powerful summons from Northrend, the archmage bent all of his considerable will to communing with the mysterious voice.

So the meeting/prodding of Ner'zhul only came AFTER he was already a maverick that studied Necromancy.

He was insane. In the "Tides of war" Kalesgos explains that he was out of his mind.

Being out of your mind is a saying of someone doing something absolutely ridiculous, foolish or dumb and not actually being insane.

It has been stated, written down and shown time and again that Malygos was cured of his insanity when he started the Nexus War to protect the world against the abuse of magic that is currently going on.

26/07/2017 12:52Posted by Суренч
He wasn't always like that. He started to behavior like that after some mind controls on him.

Renault Mograine was not mind controlled when he committed this greatest of betrayals. He might be influenced by others, true, but at any moment he could have said "you know what? !@#$ this, I am not betraying my father" but he did not because he wanted the power his father held, he wanted his status.

So Renault Mograine, the Scarlet Champion was in control of himself, he was and still is.
Cordana Felsong

I did think it a bit strange no one ever asked questions about the surname, should have seen this one coming to be honest.